PDA

View Full Version : Merging Duskblade and Monk into one class

CyberThread
2014-07-28, 02:51 PM
Am just you know .. bored waiting for the 5e to come out, but what do you think..

Same d8
Monks Skills + Skill list + spellcraft
Full bab
Duskblade Saves
Keep it mad on purpose , lose armor proficiency besides light armor, keep all other duskblade abilties
Cannot flurry + spells for multiple impacts of one spell per hit
Duskblade Spells with no custom add ons

And that is petty much it, I think this gives it a very "arcane" swordsage approach, and makes a fair tier 3 creation.

Psyren
2014-07-28, 03:15 PM
Psywar fits better thematically and mechanically imo.

Rebel7284
2014-07-28, 03:48 PM
Am just you know .. bored waiting for the 5e to come out, but what do you think..

Same d8
Monks Skills + Skill list + spellcraft
Full bab
Duskblade Saves
Keep it mad on purpose , lose armor proficiency besides light armor, keep all other duskblade abilties
Cannot flurry + spells for multiple impacts of one spell per hit
Duskblade Spells with no custom add ons

And that is petty much it, I think this gives it a very "arcane" swordsage approach, and makes a fair tier 3 creation.

This is MADness! The main weakness of monk is the numerous abilities that do not work well together. While adding MORE unsynergistic abilities help the Monk get stronger, it's not the best way to approach this.

nedz
2014-07-28, 03:53 PM
Why not just Duskblade // Monk ?
This would be the same tier as a straight Duskblade I guess ?

Ed:

This is MADness! The main weakness of monk is the numerous abilities that do not work well together. While adding MORE unsynergistic abilities help the Monk get stronger, it's not the best way to approach this.

No no, it's just a Duskblade who can punch things — the other class features don't matter, well the skills help a bit I suppose.

CyberThread
2014-07-28, 04:15 PM
Honestly, I think the monk is good enough with the skill points and saves, that a it would easily overshadow a normal duskblade, add ontop all the various lil monk feats and you can have a nasty meleeer.

John Longarrow
2014-07-28, 04:40 PM
Why not just do it the easy way?
Replace Monks with Sword Sages.
Switch out the Duskblades spells for ones that are more fitting for a melee-centric character (transmutation+protection works really, really, really nice).

malonkey1
2014-07-28, 05:03 PM
I actually devised a spellcasting archetype for the PF Monk once. It traded out most of the (Su) abilities for Wis-based arcane casting up to 6th level, mostly passive buffing spells, and very limited free Persists.

nedz
2014-07-28, 05:07 PM
Honestly, I think the monk is good enough with the skill points and saves, that a it would easily overshadow a normal duskblade, add ontop all the various lil monk feats and you can have a nasty meleeer.

The three good saves and the feats are worthwhile; the falling down walls etc., not so much.

CyberThread
2014-07-28, 06:49 PM
Yes they mean nothing, that is why I didin't remove them, unlike dusk armor progression and such.

Seppo87
2014-07-28, 07:11 PM
How I would do it:

Hit die: d8
Skill points: 2+int
Class skills: All skills from both original classes

BaB 3/4
Saves all high

Proficiencies: as Monk
Spells: As Duskblade
AC and Speed bonus: as Monk

LV1
Arcane Attunement
Improved Unarmed Strike
Flurry or Decisive Strike. Progresses as Monk.
AC Bonus INT based

LV2
Combat Casting

LV3
Arcane Channeling, only works with monk weapons.
You can use this in conjunction with Flurry or Decisive Strike.
In case of Flurry, the spell only discharges once.
In case of Decisive Strike, the effects are not doubled.

LV 13
In case of Flurry it does the usual Duskblade thing.
In case of Decisive Strike it is instead cast twice on the same target.

Other features:
-Quick Cast, Spell Power, Arcane Channeling (Full attack): As Duskblade
-Monk Bonus Feats: any coherent distribution through levels is fine
-Purity of Body, Wholeness of Body, Diamond Body, Diamond Soul, Perfect Self: Fill empty levels
-Abundant Step, Empty Body: Duskblade spells already cover this

CyberThread
2014-07-28, 07:53 PM
ewww. keep the skill points, otherwie your just making a really crappy duskblade.

Seppo87
2014-07-28, 08:12 PM
No, not really. It seems to me that my version is actually stronger than yours, except for the BaB.

How is this crappy anyway? 15/15/15/10 is not that worse compared to 20/15/10

Consider that the base weapon damage is higher and easy to optimize.
This, combined with Arcane Strike, makes extra attacks more valuable than they would seem at first glance.