PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Adventure One

Pages : [1] 2

jedipotter
2014-07-28, 03:20 PM
The current year is 1313 Dale Reckoning. The Year of the Shattered Oak.

It is Elient, and the Vast are in the midst of Autumn. The Autumn Equinox is nearly upon us, after which Faerun will see the winter. The climate is currently normal for this season - dry and cool during the day, damp and cold at night. Light rainfall mixed with flurries on the colder days.

The village of Fallentree is currently getting ready for the Autumn Equinox festival, and have just finished a successful harvest. The village is bustling with life on this, Market Day.

You can proceed and place your character somewhere in the vicinity of Fallentree. Remember to include as much information and background as you can.

Gogglestorph the Spiky, Andrew the Average, Bob Kyleson, Bartleby the Educated, and Johnson, this game is for you.

Please post any questions or concerns in the OOC thread.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?364329-Bizarre-Adventure-One%28OOC%29&p=17848945#post17848945

The Vagabond
2014-07-28, 04:02 PM
"To be perfectly honest," the bard said idly, standing on a fountain in the center of the room, looking at the locals, "I honestly have NO idea how I got here. It's odd, really. I was in an inn with a rather nice young woman, bought me a few beers and such, poured a bit of powder into my drink, some sort of surger she said, I took a quaff or three and BAM! Out like a lighthouse. So, who's up for a few more songs, lads, to boost ya'lls confidence?" he cried out, before pulling out a Guitar, and playing a tune for the locals, his bag of holding on the ground beside him, along with his usual backpack.

[roll0]

ddude987
2014-07-28, 04:07 PM
Well now I say... The Gnome's face goes blank for a short period of time, before he resumes his speaking. Hrmm... and I thought I was saying something. Ah yes, here I am now, the local nail shoppe. I hope they have nails for sale. The Gnome opens the shop door and gestures to his mule to go first. The mule, being in a particularly muley mood at the moment, makes an angry mule noise before proceeding into the shop. Gogglestorph follows promptly behind him, looking for the shopkeep as he enters the room.

torrasque666
2014-07-28, 04:20 PM
"It's probably because you scorned the woman!" Bartleby told the bard from across the room. A few loose pages fell out of a pocket on the inside of his vest. He bent down to gather them up and a few more trinkets toppled from his pockets, including a few copper pieces which Bartleby didn't notice. "Everyone knows you don't have my charm with the ladies. That's why we paired up. And who needs a fancy guitar when you can do THIS" he said, pointing to his drink.

[roll0]

Snowbluff
2014-07-28, 04:26 PM
Andrew

"That will be a lark if it's yes sirree." He takes a sip of mead and watches the parlor tricks.

Oddman80
2014-07-28, 04:51 PM
Bob Kyleson

Rummaging through the barn, in seemingly increasing frustration Bob shouts out to his wife:

“Sally! Have you seen me extra spare set of Sundark Goggles? I normally keep ‘em in me pack, but I don’t see ‘em here… you know I don’t like headin’ out on me trips without at least two extra pair. You remember what happened the last time I lost them – face full a sh*t that’s what – didn’t duck when I shoulda’ – AH! Here they are, right next to me Whetstone they were.”

Bob Kyleson lives on a quiet Manor, about an hour’s ride northeast of Fallentree – right off the River Vesper on a clearing that has a magnificent view of the Earthspur Mountains. Bob is gathering his gear to go on one of his regular trips to Sendrin, Bambryn Dark Hollow, and Dragon Falls, where he checks in on the compost franchises he’s started up in each town.

“Oh, Sally dear – you dinna happen to make any of that lovely cobbler Jim and Frank love so much did ye? I was gonna swing by the ole farm before I set out you know. Those two just love your co-“

Before Bob could even finish the sentence, Sally, his lovley wife was walking towards him with a neatly wrapped tin of food.

“You are the sweetest think on this here earth, dear”

Bob says, as he gives her a kiss on the cheek. He puts the food in one of Buttercup’s saddlebags, and finishes loading up the rest of his gear.

“I’ll do my best to make this a quick trip – I won’t spend more than a couple o’ days in each town – I promise. Anyway - all those boys have things running so smoothly these days… It’s almost like they don’t need me checkin in on them no more.”

Bob looks down at Sally’s tummy wistfully, and gives it a little rub.

“Well at least there’s gonna’ be a boy who needs me soon enough”

Bob gives his wife another kiss, hops on his horse, and starts heading towards Fallentree.

The Vagabond
2014-07-28, 05:42 PM
"So spoke the ignorant wizard! I've had more luck with the ladies than you ever had, you ignorant fool!... Albeit I never really asked for that luck, not sure why the ladies love me so much, but the point still stands! And you think turning water into wine is good, try this-"
He played some more songs to liven the mood, get the folks at the bar to love him, and best the foolish Wizard.

[roll0]
[roll1] (Forgot that it's a masterwork guitar)

ddude987
2014-07-29, 10:40 AM
Gogglestorph looks around the room. Strange times there be when a wizard and a bard argue in a nail shoppe he thought to himself. Bewildered, Gogglestorph asks loudly I say now, do this be the nail shoppe? I thought it might be, with the name The Hammered Inn it seemed rather likely. He hiccups like only a drunken gnome could, before preceding in his ranting. What kind of lousy no good... losing track of thought, he takes a swig from a flask, before offering some to his mule as well.

torrasque666
2014-07-29, 10:48 AM
"Bah." Bartleby dismissively waved a hand at the bard, interested more in the new drunkard who had wandered in. "So what brings a fine 'gentleman' like yourself into the Hammered Inn?" he asked, sliding up next to the newcomer. "Food? Wine?" he asked, pointing to his mug ​"Women?"

The Vagabond
2014-07-29, 10:54 AM
He looked over to the Drunken Gnome, "My apologies, that would not be the case, you are, in fact, not in a shop unless you're here to shop for alcoholic drinks of a wide variety, though I would not recomend drinking in your case for fear of long-term memory loss." he said, stepping down and quickly pulling out a bottle and laying down a few candles, asking for an exchange of a drink for them, before walking up to him.
"You know, you should probably avoid drinking, but who am I to talk?"

ddude987
2014-07-29, 11:29 AM
*hiccup* Oh I'm not a drinker myself, but my good lad Shocky is. Gogglestorph drunkenly waves in the mules direction. Shocky the mule snorts in disbelief. I'm not sure what brought me here *hiccup* but maybe I could be of assistance to yourselves if you be looking for it. My talents reside in eating, drinking, and the art of the spear. No, wait, not that second one *hiccup* but certainly the other two. Gogglestorph waddles over to a stool and takes a seat.

Oddman80
2014-07-29, 11:35 AM
sorry for the long exposition. Just trying to get over to the rest of the group... As such I'm taking some liberties speaking for my farmhands. I'll limit myself to just Bob after this

Bob Kyleson

As Bob and approaches his old family farm, on the outskirts of Fallentree, Buttercup starts galloping suddenly.

Whoa There buttercup! Slow down will ya! I know ya be excited ta see Frank, but calm girl... Good Morrow, Frank! the dwarf calls out to his farmhand.

As Bob reaches the old shack where he grew up, he dismounts and ties Buttercup to a post. He rummages through the saddlebag, and finds the cobbler Sally made.

That's not what I think it is, is it? Frank asks excitedly. When Bob unwraps it, Frank can't resist, and grabs it right out of Bob's hands
Mrs. K is the best! Thanks Bob... Hey Jim! Guess what I got. Frank hollers towards the shack, as he goes to bring the tin inside.

You make sure you two save some for Tim. Just cuz he ain't here shovelin' the sh*t right beside you don't mean his job's any more glamorous. I assume that boy's already off makin' the collection rounds... Bob says as he looks around the old dilapidated structure. I really do not miss this dung heap, he thought to himself, as the two young men started digging into the treat.

So, anything exciting happen after I left last night? Bob asked sarcastically. The village of Fallentree was not exactly a hotbed of activity.

Everything was quiet last night, Bob. Frank said.
But Jim, here said there's talk of a new wizard in town this morning... O'er at the Hammering Inn... Ain't that right Jim?

As Jim nodded with a mouthful of cobbler, Bob started stroking his beard while thinking:
Hmmmm... I wonder if I could get a wizard to make some thing for me that would help makes business more efficient... Maybe one of those portable hole doohickies I heard about...
I think I might just head into town and check that o- Damn it! You two, I'm serious! You leave some of that cobbler for Tim! My goodness, do I have to tell Mrs K you went and hogged the whole dish for yourselves! Git out in that field and get back to work. This brown gold don't be shovelin' itself!

More bark than bite, Bob headed back to his horse with a smile on his face, got back up on the saddle and headed to the Hammering Inn.

jedipotter
2014-07-29, 03:21 PM
The Hammered Inn is quite a small place. The common room and kitchen on the ground floor, eight rooms upstairs. Durmug Hammerdown is the dwarf barkeep/owner.

Only a couple of commoner looking folk are hanging out in the common room, eating and drinking. The decor is very hammer themed. Lots of hammers of all shapes and sizes and types hang from the walls and ceiling. Of note, is a single iron handle, shaft and headed hammer that moves about the common room, hammering things at seemingly random. The locals ignore it.

The Vagabond
2014-07-29, 03:35 PM
The bard sighed, "I have a feeling you're lying to me. Trust me, I know, I can speak to animals, lived with a druid for a couple years and picked it up from her."

The Bard watched as the Hammer idly hammered.
"So... Anyone care to explain the floating hammer?" he asked.
[roll0]
[roll1]

ddude987
2014-07-29, 04:05 PM
A real life actual druid! How interesting. Alas, she may have lied to you about you learning and speaking with animals. Or perhaps you are simply misunderstanding Shocky because he has transcended beyond such feral linguistics.

The Vagabond
2014-07-29, 04:10 PM
He stared at the gnome.
"Well, that would be rather odd if she did, we did marry for a couple months, before she went on a murderous rampage and got killed by another Druid." he said (Bluff Check, 21). "What kinda language does he speak?" he asked.

It appears I forgot to roll, and can't add one now. So now, I say that it's my last roll -4

Anyway, from now on, I suppose I'll have Bluffs in orange

ddude987
2014-07-29, 04:32 PM
I don't know what he speaks. I fear it may even be beyond my comprehension. I don't worry about it much though, he's a rather nice fellow when he hasen't been in his cups. Gogglestorph puts a hand to his mouth, and whispers directly at the bard or mine. Don't tell him, but he get's rather muley after a drink or two.

In case you were wondering, I'm choosing not to roll sense motive as Gogglestorph is rather trustworthy of you.

The Vagabond
2014-07-29, 04:53 PM
"Well, are you certain? I'm not, to be honest, because you really do smell drunk, and your horse snorted at me in a disapproving manner, and your horse is a mule, which would be rather mulely. You know that even if it doesn't speak horse, it would have picked up a fair bit of body language, heavens knows I know a bit of Dudric. I think you might be hallucinating." (Bluff Check [roll0])

Well, a natural 20. I feel incredibly lucky.

ddude987
2014-07-29, 05:31 PM
Will save to disbelieve the hallucination :smalltongue:

Maybe I am hallucinating... Gogglestorph slowly and deliberately moves his head, carefully looking all around the inn. He approaches the wizard fellow, the bard already forgotten, or perhaps disbelieved. He looks at the wizard fellow and asks Is that hammer really floating of its own accord? he pauses a moment before continuing and weren't you talking to that bard!? Are we having the same hallucination?

torrasque666
2014-07-29, 05:38 PM
"The Hammer? Yeah, it does that." Bartleby replied. He moved his mug out of the way before the hammer came down on it. "And I wouldn't trust his claims of knowing a druid too much. He's been here a while already. Understand me?" Bartleby tipped his hand back in "drinky-drinky" motion

Oddman80
2014-07-29, 06:00 PM
Ho! Durmug, you stub-nosed midgy! Bob calls out to the dwarf behind the bar, as he walks through the entrance to the Hammering Inn.
Before you say anything, NO - I ain't gonna stink up yer inn. I haven't even lifted me shovel yet today, 'cept to load up ole buttercup.
Bob walks up to the dwarven Innkeeper, and leans in close.
Frank tells me you got some odd folk in here this mornin... Didn't take more than a swift stroll to the back o' the room to see he speaks true... Is that a mule!?! When did ye' start servin' livestock, Hammerdown?

ddude987
2014-07-30, 11:16 AM
Gogglestorph winks at the wizard in an obvious manner, apparent to all those watching. His wink shows the honest truth, that he believes the wizard and himself share a private understanding, and shows no mark to indicate he is aware of how obvious and unsecretive his actions were.

The Vagabond
2014-07-30, 11:22 AM
He watched as Bob entered the shop, and began to play to swing him in his favor, MUSICALLY!

[roll0]

And so he sung: "An ass name sparky, a drunken gnome, enter the store, and who has told, a young old man is watched by the ass, as the gnome tries to kick yourrrs, for calling him the next meaaaal!" he said, a smile on his face.

He shouts over his shoulder at the Gnome and Wizard, "I haven't even HAD A DRINK YET! AND GNOME, I'M NOT YOUR HALLUCINATION, THE ASS IS!"

Oddman80
2014-07-30, 01:42 PM
Upon hearing the bard's "music", Bob turns back to Durmug and says
You know, normally I prefer me music to have a some sort of rhythm to it, a catchy melody is always a plus... and barring all that, tis nice for it to have, at the very least, some sort of noticeable rhyme scheme... This guy is either so good he don't need any o' that - or he's the worst bard in the history of all bards... Either way - and I really can't explain why - I like the cut of his jib.

Bob then tries to clap along with the music while scanning the room for new faces, only to realize once again there is no discernible beat or rhythm. Both quickly, and awkwardly, he places his hands down by his sides, and turns once again to Durmug

Frank told me there was a wizard here. Assuming he's not that drunk gnome with the mule, nor the bard with the odd-shaped lute, I take it he's the human over in the corner all by himself?

Satisfied that his own sleuthing has given the answer to his inquiry, Bob slaps the bar and 'double points' to Durmug in one of those 'you the man' gestures.
He then proceeds to cross the room and take a seat next to the Human.

I hope I'm not interrupting no intimate moment 'tween you and that gnome o'er there winking at ya Bob says to the wizard before giving him a firm but friendly smack on the back and guffawing heartily. The name's Bob. Bob Kyleson. I run a waste management business here in town - Not sure if anyone's mentioned me or not, but I'm sure you noticed that this town is much fresher smelling than most ye may have traveled to... Aaaaaanyway.... I heard ye were a wizard, yesiree, and that got me thinking. Bob - What might a wizard be able to do that could help out yer business? I asked myself, sure enough... OH! Oh, my! How rude of me - I surely do go on, sometimes. I never even stopped to ask ya yer name!

The Vagabond
2014-07-30, 01:49 PM
The bard chuckled at him, "No offense meant, but I doubt he knows enough to be of any use, the guy isn't that fast of a learner and couldn't apply a formula to a linear function!" he paused for a moment.
"As in, he couldn't figure out that poop grows a specific amount each day."

jedipotter
2014-07-30, 10:56 PM
Two elven females in dark green robes enter in through the main door. One holds a brightly shining crystal ball. They both stnad in the doorway and look around the room.

torrasque666
2014-07-31, 12:34 AM
"I heard that you swine!" Bartelby shouts across the room, throwing his mug of wine across the room at the bard.
[roll0]
It completely misses and shatters on the wall across the room. "Well that was embarrassing." he mutters. Turning his head, he catches sight of the elven women and slides up to them. "So ladies..."[roll0]"who wants to see what I can do with my wand?"

Oddman80
2014-07-31, 07:28 AM
Upon seeing "the wizard's" idiotic attempt at being suave, Bob's jaw literally drops as he realizes this man can't actually be a real wizard, and therefore will be of little use to him.

Bob gets up and heads back to Durmug. At best, that man's a charlatan. At worst he's a damn fool. Either way, I think I may be wasting my time here- Sorry, Durmug, I didn't mean it like that. Clearly your fine establishment is doin just fine today. Y'know what, why don'cha gimme a glass of yer Mead. That would be damn fine right about now... Don't want anything too strong this morn, as I'm headin' out on my monthly rounds after this, yessiree.

As Bob waits for his drink, he looks back across the inn. The sight of this many unfamiliar faces causes him a little confusion. Is there an event goin' on in town that I don't know about? He thinks to himself as he sits up at the bar.

ddude987
2014-07-31, 07:35 AM
Gogglestorph sits at the bar and calls for some water. I smell trouble, better try and sober up.

The Vagabond
2014-07-31, 07:50 AM
[roll0]
He stands up, and stares the wizard down, his eyes boreing into the wizard, plain and empty.

Like this (http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2012/044/3/f/staregineer_by_megaman196-d4pn60t.jpg)
[roll1]
He then proceded to burst out laughing, "I'm sorry, I'm... *Laughter*"
He looked over to the girls, still bearly holding back his laughter.
[roll2]
"I-I'm sorry, but yeah, I don't like him that much, but he's not that bad. But that phrase is just REEKING of innuendo."
He chuckles, calling over his shoulder to the Commoner, "Yeah, I can't believe this guys a wizard either, but hey, he is. Don't know how, but he is."

torrasque666
2014-07-31, 08:05 AM
"I'm a sorcerer dammit! I keep telling you guys that!" Bartelby muttered under his breath.

Oddman80
2014-07-31, 08:18 AM
Made uncomfortable by the fact that the bard always seems able to hear all the things Bob is saying, regardless of the noise being made by the odd instrument, the volume of Bob's own voice or the direction in which he speaks, Bob quickly turns back around, waiting for his mead. Finding the gnome beside him now, Bob twice holds back the urge to ask what may seem a brash question...

It may be of use to note, here, that Bob Kyleson thinks of himself as a well traveled man. This, despite the fact that he has never ventured out beyond the edges of The Vast, let alone even reached the far most towns and villages contained there in. Nonetheless, he is confident that through his limited travels, he now knows the ways of the world like only a veteran adventurer could.

Alas, the urge was too strong as it came upon him a third time, and Bob quickly turned to the Gnome and asked

From what far land do you hail, sir? I must know, as in all my travels, I have never come across a town nor village in which it was customary to bring one's pack mule into tavern or inn. I dare say that doing so here, in fact, makes you out to be quite the ass yerself.

ddude987
2014-07-31, 08:40 AM
I've traveled far from (insert a place that has slaves b.c I've been reading Fearun campaign setting and it says slaves are uncommon). It was not customary there for me to own an ass, much less own my own. Goggletorph chuckles to himself at the joke he made. Never the less, I'm telling you, my good sir, Shocky here isn't an ordinary mule. He speaks, he listens, and he always knows.

The gnome hops off the barstool he was sitting on, stares at the dirt farmer. I like you ser bob the dirt farmer. You seem like an intelligent and well traveled guy. he says after a moment.

Oddman80
2014-07-31, 09:35 AM
Bob immediately blushes at the compliment. And realizes quickly he has misjudged the gnome. Though clearly drunk at an early hour, the gnome is no slouch, and is obviously a more complex fellow than Bob first gave credit to. He never met anyone from as far away as the Greypeak Mountains before – and an escaped slave, nonetheless. This was truly an exciting day. Stammering, as he tries to collect himself from potential embarrassment, Bob says to the gnome

“Sp-sp-speaks!?!? As in, she is intelligent? As in…” Bob leans in close to the gnome and whispers with a knowing wry smile... “…as in… awakened? Like in the stories I’ve heard told?” Eyes bulging, as he realizes the possible insult he has dealt to the magical beast, Bob gets up from his stool and hurries over to Shocky. “I am truly sorry for any brash thing I may have said in my ignorance. I had no clue I was in the presence of one so magical and rare as you” Bob gives a little bow to the mule, and awaits a reply.

This would be the first in-campaign demonstration of Bob’s character flaw: Gullible.
Also - the Greypeak Mountains are an area due west of the Vast, near the High Forest. Below the northern portion of the Greypeak Mountains lies the Drow city of Ched Nasad, part of the Underdark. Drow are notorious for their slave trade. They often capture unsuspecting travelers and force them into the slavery

The Vagabond
2014-07-31, 09:55 AM
Johnson stared at Bob.
"I don't know what to say to that." he said.

[roll0]"My ex was a druid, she was rather nice, and her ex was an awakened Donkey... he doesn't seem like a awakened animal to me."

Snowbluff
2014-07-31, 11:33 AM
Andrew orders another mead. "Looks like trouble. Better get drunk quickly."

ddude987
2014-07-31, 12:21 PM
Looking with an amused face at Bob, the dirt farmer "Nay my good sir, Shocky be not awakened yet, but we both be wanting it. Shocky wants that awakening to study the art and *chuckling* shock people, as the name suggests."

Gogglestorph turns to the bard "As for you, my dear musically beatless bard, you talk about this ex quite a bit. Be she wound you deep? Myself, any relationship I've had, romantic or otherwise, seems to end in a tenday." Save for Shocky The Gnome sighs deeply, a disheartened look upon his face. He pulls out a knife from a hidden back pocket. The knife glints as it catches a hint of light in the dimly lit inn. The hilt leather wrapped, with a steel fasterner securing the blade. Moving up the blade with your eyes, time seems to slow, as if the knife has no end, but finally the tip comes into focus, keen and dangerous, shivering cold steel. Gogglestorph begins to clean his nails with the knife, a soft light sound, almost inaudible over the sound eminating from the rest of the room, as he slowly dislodges dirt and grime from his fingernails.

Oddman80
2014-07-31, 12:44 PM
"Pardon me," Bob says to the mule. Unsure of what to think of the animal at this point. He is unwilling yet to accept that the animal is not magical, lest bowing before him, as he had done moments before, would seem a foolish act. He turns his attention to the nosy bard.
"Did you just call yourself a donkey?" Bob asks the man. "You don’t look like any donkey I’ve ever seen, but that isn’t to say you aren’t a complete ASS - poking your nose in everyone’s business.” Bob gestures back to the mule, "She probably isn’t talkin’ much cause she’s afraid you are just gonna insult her like you’ve been doing to your wizard… uh… sorcerer… uh…whatever friend over there. I thought you types were supposed to be entertaining! Why don’cha play a good song, like The Misty Mountain Cold, or how about The Ballads of Vohrn? Durmug, back there loves those. Ye might actually make some coin that way – rather than just prickling everyone like a briar patch."

Bob looks back to the gnome and the mule and says "Sorry about that you two… I just don’t care much for prying folk… But alas, you were tellin me about your journey from the west, was it? How long have ye been on the road? Is Fallentree yer final destination? Or do you be heading on someplace else? "

Bob is completely ignorant of the fact that he is the exact nosy/prying individual he tends to dislike so profusely.

additionally - i had started writing this prior to ddude's post. and forgot to check before posting if anything new was up. I stand by the original, and just add the caveat, that Bob accepts that the mule is not Awakened, but still believes she can speak as he was told so by the Gnome.

The Vagabond
2014-07-31, 01:04 PM
He paused.
"Oh, my apologies. I didn't mean to be rude. But yeah, I was lying to you about the Druid part, I'm surprised at how many people believed it, but I'm telling you, that donkey isn't as self-aware as you might think. And he stated that the animal can't talk common, and I personally think he acts smarter than his master by not getting as drunk." he said.
"And yeah, I'm an ass. My apologies, I'm an ass out of habit, and being an ass is a difficult habit to break. And you just asked three questions. And I haven't asked any. My apologies. WHO WANTS A TUNE!?" he said with glee at the final part, before pulling out the guitar and playing.
[roll0]
[roll1]

ddude987
2014-07-31, 01:18 PM
"Bob, my friend," Gogglestorph looks at Bob, a smile on his face "I do not know where I am headed or where I want to end. My life was the nail and hammer, sweat and blood, rain or shine. I feel there is much more to the world than those things, and I want to see it." Gogglestorph gestures at the spear strapped to his back "So bad I wanted to adventure that I sought out a teacher. He taught me in the way of the spear. Now I wish to use what I learned, and journey far and wide, learning the spear from other cultures, other places, and other people."

Enough of my own tails, let us hear a song my dear bard! Something happy, perhaps Four Maidens Dragon or The Kingly Queen of Three. Perhaps they have other names in this place, but a joyous song I want none the less.

Oddman80
2014-07-31, 01:36 PM
Yes! Sing! Sing! Sing!
Bob looks around the room as he says this, waving his arms in an attempt to get the other townsfolk and visitors to join in.

1d20+1
ummm... not sure what i did wrong there
Lets see if this fixed it...nope. crap.

The Vagabond
2014-07-31, 01:39 PM
[roll0]He shrugged, laying down the guitar, and pulling out a fiddle before playing everyone a merry little tune again.

[roll1]
[roll2]
His tune wasn't the best, and he wasn't the best with the fiddle (Passable), but damn if he couldn't make singing along irresistible, and make it feel like you were part of a whole.
Near Banbridge town, in the County Down
One morning last July
Down a bóithrín green came a sweet colleen
And she smiled as she passed me by.
Oh she looked so sweet from her two bare feet
To the sheen of her nut brown hair
Such a coaxing elf, that i pinched myself
For to see i was standing there.

Chorus:
And from Bantry Bay up to Derry Quay
And from Galway to Dublin town
No maid I've seen like the sweet colleen
That I met in the County Down.

As she onward sped when i scratched my head
And I looked with a feeling rare
And I said, says I, to a passerby
"Who's that maid with the nut-brown hair?"
He smiled at me, and he said, says he,
"She's the gem of Ireland's crown.
She's young Rosie McCann from the banks of the Bann
She's the star of the County Down."

Chorus

well I've travelled a bit, but i've never been hit
Since my roving career began
But fair and square I surrendered there
To the charms of young Rose McCann.
with a heart to let and no tenant yet
Did I meet with in shawl or gown
But in she went and I asked no rent
From the star of the County Down.

Chorus (http://youtu.be/hEAnPsnJJS0)

ddude987
2014-08-01, 07:57 AM
Well played my sir bard, well played indeed. Gogglestorph claps his hands lightly.

Oddman80
2014-08-01, 08:31 AM
Bob claps too, Thankful for the whimsical tune. Perhaps this Bard is not so bad afterall He thinks to himself.
Turning back once again to the gnome, Bob says
I am terribly sorry. I have been so distracted by all the new faces in here. As you have been calling me by name, you musty have overheard me when I introduced myself to the wiz- um, sorcerer (?) over there, but I never introduced myself to you personally. My full name is Bob Kyleson. I run a few different businesses here in Fallentree and a few other Towns in the region. I help keep the city clean, and i also help provide some of the most fertile soil you've ever come across, to the local farmers. Not sure you knew, but the farms here in the Vast have some of the best produce this side of Sea O' Fallen Stars. But enough about me - Were you travelling with any of these other folks? Uh - the bard, the wi - sorcerer (?) or those two elven ladies that just walked in? Its not that it's unusual to have visitors in Fallentree. Its just rare we get so many all at once. And I'm truly sorry if I just forgot - everyone's just been callin' you "the gnome" but I assume you have a proper name as well, yes?

ddude987
2014-08-01, 08:39 AM
Bob Kyleson, son of Kyle I presume? Pleased to further our acquaintance. I am Gogglestorph, the Spikey. As a slave it was my job during construction to hammer in the nails thus earning me the name Spikey. Spikey really didn't seem to fit as my first name though.

Oddman80
2014-08-01, 10:25 AM
Yes - me da was named Kyle, sure enough. Though the man was not deserving of a name living on beyond his years, I tell you. The last name I bear, I often bear in shame... But enough about him...

Bob leans in to Gogglestorph, not sure why he said that last thing to a virtual stranger - but he truly can't help himself. He finds confiding to the gnome to be quite relieving...
I'm gonna tell you a secret

Bob whispers to the short fellow.
You say you are on the path of being an adventurer, yourself. Well I tell you - I have often had dreams of such a thing as well. I'm proud of what I have accomplished here in town. But when i go on my travels to other towns - i get this glimpse of freedom. Tis very alluring.

Now leaning in quite close to Gogglestroph... like, uncomfortably so... Bob whispers the following:
During those rides between towns, when I have come the closest to entertaining me thoughts of adventuring, Ii have oft thought to change me last name. Nothing drastic! No, just a slight shift in emphasis, truly... I would change me name to Bob Kill-lesson....

Bob leans back with a satisfied smirk.
eh? eh? pretty intimidating a name, don'cha think?

ddude987
2014-08-01, 10:47 AM
Gogglestorph takes a step back, uncomfortable from how close Bob came "Oh why yes my good sir, it almost had me quaking in my boots! Any man err lesser than me would be making more work for you, if you know what I mean." Gogglestorph gets a look as if there were a candle above his head, Well, if we are to being doing some more travels we should get a map and decide where to go. I'm not sure about yourself my good man Bob, but I don't like getting lost.

After a moment of contemplation and perhaps we should invite that Bard, what was his name? A good song on the road is always moral lifting. Where would you want to travel too? I have no preferences on jobs, for the most part, but slavery I'd rather kill myself first.

The Vagabond
2014-08-01, 11:18 AM
Johnson jumped onto the nearby table

And fell on his face into the ground.
He stumbled up and tried again, failing once more.
He tried a third time, and succeeded.

"Tain't it obvious, 'TIS DESTINY THAT BROUGHT US TOGETHER! Everyone knows that when a bunch of adventuring souls gather, they'll inevitably be sent on a quest!" he said, "Usually, we fight rats at our current strength, but I say screw that, and let us find a necromancer and kill every villain there for the good of all!"
He stood and sung a song of greatness,
We were never born to walk on water
We were never born to sack and slaughter
But on our soul, We were never born
To stoop, to scorn, and knuckle under! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUlVLC3mGwM)

A man can learn to steal some thunder
A man can learn to work some wonder
And when the guantlet's down,
It's time to rise and climb the sky
And soon the moon will smoulder
And the winds will drive
Yes, a man grows older but his soul remains alive
All those tremulous stars still glitter
And we will survive!
Let my heart grow bolder and then shimmer as a falcon in the dive
There was a dream, a dying ember
There was a dream, I don't remember
But we will resurrect that dream
Though rivers stream and hills grow steeper
For there in hell where life gets cheaper
Oh, there in hell the blood runs deeper
And when the final duel is near
We'll lift our spear and fly
Piercing into the sky and higher
And the good will thrive
Yes, the baaad will cower while the kindest will survive
We won't wait for the darkest hour
Till we spring alive
Oh, with claws of fire, we devour like a falcon in the dive
These are the days! Yes!
Days of fight, days of rage, and the dream
And the dream of glory preys on my bones
Gnawing night and day and clawing through my brain and
No, never yield! Never bend!
We'll Rend them to bits! Bite!
Now, the beauty of the fight
I'm not a man to hunger for blood, but the spirit can cry
To be younger and fiercer and fly
Piercing into the sky and higher
And the good will thrive
Yes, the cruel will cower while the kindest will survive
we won't wait for the darkest hour
Till we spring alive
But with claws of fire, we devour like a falcon in the dive
He smiled as he jumps down... And lands face-first.
Bolting upright, he smiled, "COME! There must be some variety of marvelous quests we might partake in today!"
He looked to the wizard, "Come, your talent might be meagre, but it will be useful in our marvelous quest!"

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

torrasque666
2014-08-01, 12:01 PM
Bartelby stood up, hurt by the accusation of having meager talents, but still eager to join them. Anything to get out of this town after all.

Snowbluff
2014-08-01, 12:46 PM
Andrew sings along from the bar, even though he has not been properly introduced and he doesn't know the words.

The Vagabond
2014-08-01, 05:35 PM
The bard smiled, before looking over to Andrew, "So, do you wish to join us in our adventure!" he cried.

Snowbluff
2014-08-01, 05:57 PM
Andrew takes a look at the group. "Sure why not. It's not like I was getting anything done here. I don't know how useful of an adventurer I would be I strangled a bunch of rats recently. Does that count as experience?"

jedipotter
2014-08-01, 09:11 PM
The two golden skinned elven females stand right in front of Bob and both look into the crystal ball and then look up at Bob and then to the crystal and then they nod, and look again.

"Dirt Dwarf, we wish to have words with you. May we lower ourselfs to your level to speek with you." Says one of the elven females.

"Much like the withered leaf falls from the tree to the ground, so will we." Says the other elven female.

The Vagabond
2014-08-01, 09:14 PM
Watching the two women talk to Bob, he smiled, "Well look at that, looks like the campaign is about to begin!"
He pulled out a hammer, and smiled, "What is needed to have their heads bashed in!" he said with a odd glee, "For now, WE SHALL CHARGE FORWARD TO OUR ADVENTYAAAA!" he cried, holding the hammer up into the air.

[roll0]

Before having it fall on his head.

Snowbluff
2014-08-01, 09:19 PM
"I don't know from the way they speak it sounds like they should make like a tree... and get out of here. My fair elven ladies what business do you have here?" He takes another sip of his mead.

The Vagabond
2014-08-01, 09:21 PM
"Apologies for the correctness, it's Make like a tree and Leaf, not get out of here."
Turning to the elves, he kneeled, "Know that we be now working as a group, and that we will help thee with thou's worries."

Snowbluff
2014-08-01, 09:23 PM
"Now that makes no sense at all why would anyone say that?"

The Vagabond
2014-08-01, 09:27 PM
"It's a Pun, you see. A play off of words. Leaf and Leave sound similar enough that they can be used interchangeably for jokes and giggles. Trees have leaves, you want them to leave, Leaf sounds like Leave, viola, pun." he said to him.

Snowbluff
2014-08-01, 09:36 PM
"What that's ridiculous. Tree lines have been receding for 30 years in the northern taiga so when someone says make like a tree and get out of here they are alluding to the current deforestation crisis."

The Vagabond
2014-08-01, 09:46 PM
"But the phrase has roots in the language Common, and it's development of puns, and dates back a hundred years at least, though I think it's origin lies in Make like a hoop and Roll away, which I think was common back then. From there, came the joke about Make like a tree and Leaf sprung up in response, then a myriad of other jokes akin to that, resulting in the whole Make like a X and Y series." he said. "And in response to the receding treeline, I have to say that a more apt statement would be make like a forest and fall, or make like a tree and recede. Though there is a humor to your statement, being anti-humor, which is just as volatile. Mild example: Why did the chicken cross the road?"

Snowbluff
2014-08-01, 10:01 PM
"Because the Folsom Acts of 1308 banned chicken based foot traffic on public sidewalks. The ostrich farms lobbied for that addition to the Acts so that chicken transportation was severely limited. That way their ostrich burger industry could grow to the multibillion GP industry it is today. My maternal grandparents were chicken farmers and this drove them into poverty."

ddude987
2014-08-02, 07:52 AM
Well now I don't know anything about us making like trees and leafing, maybe that was some shenanigans his druid told him, but I do know about making like a nail and slowing down your pursuers... no wait that isn't a metaphor, that's a real application. Gogglestorph puts a hand to his face, stroking a non existent beard, puzzled. What is this new metaphore concept? I wonder if I can come up with a 100 year old one like Mr. druid bard he thought. Well I've got nothing to add I suppose, but I'm sorry for your grandparents. Its sad they were driven into poverty, but it makes cents. Gogglestorph guffaws at his joke.

Oddman80
2014-08-02, 08:10 AM
Dumbfounded by the level of "academic" discourse that has sprouted around him, Bob Kyleson, begins to wonder what he may have gotten himself into with this crew... But his focus quickly returns to the two peculiar elven maidens. Did they just call me a Dirty Dwarf, or was that a mis-speak about bein' an Earth Dwarf and whatnot Bob thinks to himself before responding.

Pardon me he says to his recently acquired associates. Looking back at the Elves, Bob says
Rather than ye lowering yerselves ta me level, How about I rise to be on par with the two of ye fair skinned darlings?

Bob stands up, giving a slight nod and hand flourish that might be considered a lazy man's bow, he circles behind the two women so that when they continue to look at him, their backs are now to the rest of the jabbering group
Now, how is is that I can help ye? Did ye want to buy some of me compost? Tis truly the best available and it does wonders for yer crops...

[roll0]

Oddman80
2014-08-02, 08:14 AM
Yes! That is surely why you have sought me out. I am really good a figuring out things like that.

A confident man, Bob is frequently unaware of the many things he is rather inept at, sensing motive, being one of them.

jedipotter
2014-08-02, 03:19 PM
Chomylla Dawnseer "I am Chomylla Dawnseer. We have sought you out, Bob of the Dirt."

Ulelesse Dewcaster "I am Ulelesse Dewcaster. We are members of the order of Baeleth Kash. The Eternal Guaridans of the Okash Taluen. The Tree of Destiny.

Chomylla Dawnseer "We have here a marawnehen. An orb of destiny. It is an orb we have seen you in, bob."

The Vagabond
2014-08-02, 03:22 PM
He looked over at Andrew, staring at him as one might stare at someone who didn't know the number two exsisted.
"No. The end to the joke is 'To get to the other side.' The joke's at least a hundred and fifty years old. And most burgers are made of Beef, not ostrich. And why would you cook Ostriches, chicken is far cheaper and easier to transport, put them in a cart and drive, and SURELY there are more chicken farmers than ostrich farmers to lobby against that."

[roll0] "Are you SUUUUUURRREEE you're remembering things right?"

He then heard destiny be said twice, so he turned around, "KNOW THAT WE ARE PREPARED FOR OUR ADVENTYA!" he cried, valiantly holding up another crowbar.

[roll1]
He smiled as he kept it from falling on his head.

Snowbluff
2014-08-02, 03:58 PM
"But that's the thing isn't it? You think it's beef but what they have actually done is substitute for the cheaper but similiar ostrich meat! Sure its more expensive than chicken meat but the real profits are in fake beef production. A vast majority of the population can't tell the difference while the ostrich mongers make all of the profit!

Also that pun doesn't work around here because we use copper pieces and not cents. Other than that it's pretty good if a bit insensitive." He smirks.

The Vagabond
2014-08-02, 04:03 PM
"But the thing is, Ostriches breed slowly, have less meat, and are difficult to corral, while cows are slow, large therefore more meat, and easier to corral, it's just far more expensive to breed ostriches." he said.

Snowbluff
2014-08-02, 04:13 PM
"Remember what I said about the Folsom Acts? It hampers the transportation of chickens and cows but ostriches are allowed to be moved freely. Initially their relatively fast land speed was enough to make the ostrich despots come up with this plan. It was quite simple really. By cornering the market with their conspirators they were able to earn enough money by avoiding competition to earn enough money to lobby against the unorganized cow and chicken farmers. Transportation costs are how they improve their profits compared to the beef manufacturers. After that they were able to invest in a breeding program to improve the ostriches for better yield and other profitable traits much like the chickens and cows were during their domestication in the ancient past."

The Vagabond
2014-08-02, 04:15 PM
"Yes, but the cost of breeding and transportation would SURELY be more than you could manage to sell the meat to most folks for. Are they still in business?" he asked.

Snowbluff
2014-08-02, 04:16 PM
"Nah, they moved onto rock farming. Did I ever tell you about the corrupt malachite industry? Or did the you mean the ostrich people?"

The Vagabond
2014-08-02, 04:22 PM
"No. And to be frank, I'm not surprised, what with what you said. Ostriches, geeze..."

Snowbluff
2014-08-02, 04:40 PM
"It's not as bad. I'll tell you later because we're being scammed by some elves. They are always putting some prophecy in front of poor schmucks in order to get them to do something for cheap. They'll promise riches but the task is ridiculous and they could easily pay twice as much."

The Vagabond
2014-08-02, 04:42 PM
"Hey, I don't care about riches, I want to have fun. So, LET'S SLAUGHTER SOME RATS!" he said, holding his crowbar up valiantly.
[roll0]
Before it slipped out of his hand, and he hastily grabbed it again.

Snowbluff
2014-08-02, 04:43 PM
"Sounds like a good idea then. I've had my fill of rats already so I hope we run into wilds hogs or anything else."

ddude987
2014-08-02, 05:06 PM
We must go into the Forrest and farm wild boars! Gogglestorph proclaims. We can set hidden spike traps for the beasts. Then once they fall into them, the bard can jump in and brain them with a crowbar until they die. Then we shall use Andrew's ostriches, whatever an ostrich is, to tie ropes on them and haul them out of the spike pit. Gogglestorph beams in excitement clearly thinking his plan is a good one.

Oddman80
2014-08-02, 06:26 PM
Snowbluff, is Andrew supposed to be like Abed from community, or something?

Bob does his best to listen to the two elves as they state their business. However he finds it quite difficult to concentrate while the nameless Bard (son of some man named John.... Not that that helps when one is outside one's own village) and Andrew (the Ostrich Historian?) prattle on.

EVERYONE SILENCE!!! Bob shouts, trying to get a handle on all this new information. Turning to the Bard, he says
Look, I get ye aren't from round these parts, but the switch from beef to ostrich happened some time ago, and everyone (other that the cattle ranchers.... Sorry Andrew) are perfectly happy with the change. The meat tastes just as good, and the cleric in town says it actually be healthier anyway.

Turning now to Gogglestroph, he tells the Gnome
Ye do know ye don't have a beard right? If ye can grow one I highly recommend it, being able to stroke it thoughtfully like so is just one of the many benefits.

Shifting his attention to Andrew, he says
Look... Typically ye may be right about fake prophesy scams and whatnot. Similar thing such as this happened to me buddy Frank last summer. But clearly these two are sincere in what they say. After all, did ye not notice the orb?!?!

It is obvious from Bob's tone as he says this last sentence, that he cannot fathom a situation where a dishonest individual might actually go so far as to bring a prop along for the purpose of making a scam more believable.

Finally, he turns back to the elves.
Ms Dewcaster; Ms Dawnseer, was it? I have not heard of either the order of Baeleth Kash or The Eternal Guaridans of the Okash Taluen. But... "The Tree of Destiny" ... That phrase.. That name... I feel I have faint memory... Maybe from a childhood story me ma once told me when I was a wee lad.
But alas, ye say that ye SAW me in that orb of yer's?
How is that? What does it mean?

The Vagabond
2014-08-02, 06:31 PM
He paused.
"But surely the meat has to cost a sizable penny! I mean, ostrich breeding is rather slow to my knowlege!" he shouted, "And surely since the company disbanded, the law was repealed; There's no viable reason for the law to continue staying around!"

Oddman80
2014-08-02, 07:44 PM
My goodness, man! Please let it go. A wanderer such as yourself should be quite familiar with the ridiculous laws that find themselves on the books of small towns. Not repealing a law that the locals don't even oppose is no big deal. Did ye know they have a law in Dragon Falls that makes it illegal for the Fire River to rise above the banks and flood the town? In Raven's Bluff, there is actually a law that one may not dye a duckling blue and offer it for sale unless more than six are for sale at once! But none of this is really relevant right now, is it? By Moradin's Bounteous Beard, may we now hear what these ladies have to say?

Snowbluff
2014-08-02, 08:17 PM
I'm just rolling with this crazy theory stuff. He's either incredible insightful, or he is a paranoid schizophrenic. Like the Joker in TDK.

"Orbs are the oldest trick in the book," Andrews says. "Also my grandparents moved onto rock farming not the ostrich farmers. Ostrich farming is still a very lucrative secretive and impressive racket. I'll look into the blue duckings though it sounds like a good lead."

Oddman80
2014-08-02, 08:26 PM
In case anyone was curious, the two laws I listed are in fact real laws found in the U.S. The river one is actually an Arkansas state law with regard to the Arkansas River and the Main Street Bridge in Little Rock. The duckling one was taken word for word from a Kentucky state law.

ddude987
2014-08-02, 08:35 PM
Now see here my lad, I don't reckon I want a beard, seeing as they seem rather itchy and uncomfortable. Furthermore, where I'm from we don't have these so called ostritches, however I hear loucke birds are all the rage around here. Prized for their priceless meat and mythically large eggs.

sadly, I realized after reading it as A bed that it is pronounced Ah-bed. No I'm not Chevy Chase, I swear.

Loucke birds, pronounced Loo-ck birds, are ostriches just another name

What! that's insane. But kinda cool. Do they ever fine the river?

jedipotter
2014-08-02, 11:57 PM
Chomylla Dawnseer "The Tree of Destiny grows and it's branches spread. Each branch is a change in the over all destiny of the world."

Ulelesse Dewcaster "The leafs of the tree are events. Most stay on the tree and grown into the branches destiny. But not always. Some leaves fall from the tree. Cutting the event free from the destiny."

Chomylla Dawnseer "We watch for such events, falling leaves, and take action. And that brought us here. For while the event is vague, we can see the ones in the event. And several are here in this very room."

Ulelesse Dewcaster "Bob the dirt dwarf, that one Andrew, Gogglestorph the gnome, that other one Bartleby and that one the bard, Johnson '' she says as she points to each one with her pinky finger.

torrasque666
2014-08-03, 12:16 AM
"Wazzat?" Bartelby had zoned out after the third mention of the Folsom acts. "Something about trees?"

ddude987
2014-08-03, 12:46 AM
My...my...myself? Gogglestorph stammers. What could you want with a lowborn former slave as myself, milady? Gogglestorph draws his knife from his back pocket, sheathes it, draws if again, and begins cleaning his nails. As soon as he starts cleaning his nails, he stops, sheaths his knife, and repeats the cycle, all the while staring at the ground as if he expects to be whipped.

jedipotter
2014-08-03, 04:23 PM
Chomylla Dawnseer "It is not what 'we' want, Gogglestorph. It is destiny. For you shall be the one to find the Nail of Nawll. It is your destiny."

Ulelesse Dewcaster "And you Bartelby are the run in the Weave. The magic flows around you, but to what branch is unknown. Only you can branch out."

The Vagabond
2014-08-03, 06:08 PM
"Yes, YES, but Ostrich meat is a LUXURY, not a food service, the price is simply not cheap enough to allow for most individuals to get the necessary amount of protein! How the hell do folks maintiain a decent protine intake to sustain muscle buildup necessary for hard labor!? And beards are overrated!" he cried.
He looked over to the elves, "Anyway, what's the quest, I'd like to begin it before I draw myself further into the meat industry hole."

Snowbluff
2014-08-03, 06:39 PM
"Beef was a lot cheaper in the day. Check the prices against inflation and beef would have been cheaper now if it weren't for the Falsom Acts."

"As for this nail did Nawll drop in it a haystack or something. How do we or rather how does he find it." He looks at the elves quizzically.

jedipotter
2014-08-03, 07:18 PM
Chomylla Dawnseer "You, Johnson will be the one to defeat the fiend D'mmmanachis . We have no idea where the Nail of Nawil might be."

ddude987
2014-08-03, 07:30 PM
So what you're saying is we all have a destiny, you know our destiny, but you don't know how we should start our destiny? Gogglestorph looks puzzled.

Who wants to go kill some rats?

Oddman80
2014-08-03, 08:20 PM
Confused,...Bob looks behind him, to where the others are standing. Then he looks around the rest of the room, before turning to the golden elves and asking
Who in the endless abyss is Cheech?

Turning back once again to the others, Bob asks plainly,
Seriously, am I forgetting someone?

Now, looking down towards the floor, he asks,
Is someone wearing an invisibility ring, or something? I really don't -- THE GIVING TREE!!! -- sorry... It just came to me.. that was the name of that story I heard from me ma when I was a wee lad. Whew! Funny how thoughts like that can just shoot right into yer mind when ye least expect it.. Huh... Guess I don't know nothin 'bout no tree o' destiny then after all... Ha! Ha! Bob laughs heartily, looking at the blank faces surrounding him.

Turning once again to the elves, he clears his throat and adjusts his face to a more serious demeanor.
Right then... I just have two questions for ye then. First, seriously, who is this Cheech fellow you mentioned? And second, how do you think we should begin searching for this... Nail? Thirdly -- ok, so I actually had more than two questions -- Thirdly, how large is this nail? Fourthly, what is so significant about the nail? And Fifthly,

Turning back to his newly acquired associates behind him,
...does anyone else find it odd that we have all bumped into one another, seemingly by coincidence, at an inn named the "Hammering Inn", only to be told we must seek out some special nail???

Snowbluff
2014-08-03, 08:53 PM
"I think they mean me but it's not my name. Maybe I made a good impression and they think I'm really funny? Either way it seems our logic is running entirely on puns at this point."

jedipotter
2014-08-03, 11:32 PM
Chomylla Dawnseer "As far as we know, the Nail of Nawll has nothing to do with the Hammering Inn. The Nail of Nawll is gnomestuff, not something we deal with. Still it is a Lost Item of Myth Drannor. And, well, it is the size of a nail....a little less then the small finger.

Ulelesse Dewcaster "You Bob, your destiny does not swirl around the Nail of Nawlllike Gogglestorph. Your destiny is....dirt. Destiny Dirt, the stuff that will hold you all together on the same root, to lead to the right branch."

Chomylla Dawnseer "Johnson will be the one to defeat the fiend D'mmmanachis. We can see that clearly in the orb."

Oddman80
2014-08-04, 07:24 AM
Myth Drannor? Is that not on the other side of The Dragon Reach? Tis in the Cormanthor Forest, correct? But that is many a day journey... And you say the nail is lost FROM there... So there is no guarantee, that if we were to venture west to Myth Drannor, we would not be sent right back East to seek it out! Pray tell, Ms Dewcaster & Ms Dawnseer... From where exactly do ye hail? Whence have you come?

ddude987
2014-08-04, 08:41 AM
"Maybe we should be about buying a map and plot our course." Gogglestorph turns a light shade of red, embarrassed "Then perhaps someone can teach me to read a map?" At least I taught myself to read Gogglestorph thought to himself.

The Vagabond
2014-08-04, 09:01 AM
Johnson sighed, "Might we begin already? I'm up for combat with Rats, so just have the elves tell us our quest."
He looked to the elves, [roll0] "What is our quest?"

Oddman80
2014-08-04, 12:48 PM
Yes! Bob chimes in, while pointing back to the bard

This music man here has a point! Could ye please come right out with it, and resist any temptation ye might have to continue in such vagueries as ye have been speaking thus far. What exactly is it ye wish for us to do?

Seriously... We're a week in, and 4 pages deep, and the plot hook is only just being teased at.
I get PbP's tend to be a slower than in-group campaigns... but direct questions are being asked, and they are not being answered. If you (Jedipotter) are only going to post 1-2 times a day, please try to make the posts count towards advancing the story. The Bard and the Warlock are itching for a fight, and I will admit that if the elves respond to Bob's questions with further vague/elusive responses, even I will be tempted to have him pull out his shovel and bonk the two elves on their heads, before heading out on his originally scheduled business trip.

ddude987
2014-08-04, 12:53 PM
Indeed miladies, if you could please ask your crystal ball where we should head out, I'll gladly head there and kill those rats for you.

maybe I'm just used to DnD in general being slow, but I thought the pacing has been good. I'm having a lot of fun RPing to be honest.

torrasque666
2014-08-04, 12:56 PM
"I'm up for rat hunting. When do we leave?"

Agreed. I might just have Bartelby cook these fools, I repeat cook these fools.

The Vagabond
2014-08-04, 03:01 PM
I'm just having him say that because I need some method to avoid having Johnson fall further into debates about Jokes. Any longer, and I'm afraid I'm gonna have to roll a sanity check on both myself and Johnson. So far I've loved the roleplaying, but would rather the constant arguments be while beating the **** out of something.

Also, three of those pages have been us derping around, and one of those pages have been a debate about the merits of ostrich burgers.

That, and BEGIN THE PLOT! I WISH TO TASTE THE MAD PLOTTINGS!
Or maybe (DUN DUN DUUUUN) He's plotting it now!

"I think in about an hours or so time's after the elves stop being vague. Anyone want a drink or three before we go?" he asked.

ddude987
2014-08-04, 04:00 PM
I don't drink myself, but shocky here is always up for a beverage. Shocky sniffs in agreement.

jedipotter
2014-08-04, 05:43 PM
Chomylla Dawnseer "With destiny one can never be sure. The goblin, Gxemk Madshadow will be the one to find the Ratessang. The prison of the fiend D'mmmanachis. Gxemk Madshadow moves around a lot, but he might be with a tribe east of here at the moment. "

Ulelesse Dewcaster "We are not being vague, we are telling you want we know. Did you have questions? Or need something explained?"

ddude987
2014-08-04, 08:57 PM
Fine ladies Gogglestorph slurs out, almost drunk after hitting the cups again, give us a map and X marks the spot we go. I just want to get out of here already.

Oddman80
2014-08-04, 09:44 PM
Putting his arm around the gnome, he addresses the ladies once again.
Hold on to yer britches. First, lets see if I have this straight - Gogglestroph, here, will find the Nail of Nawll... It be his destiny. The nail once belonged to Gnomes in Myth Drannor, but it has been lost for many a year, and ye have no knowledge of where it be.

Moving over to Bartleby, Bob now puts his arm around the wizard/sorcerer
Bartleby, here is "the run in the weave". Not sure i know what ye meant by that, other than he needs to get better at magic... or something...Moving on...

Shifting once again, Bob holds both shoulders of the Bard
Johnson, here. He be destined to defeat some fiend by the name "D'mmmanachis". This "D'mmmanachis" fellow is currently imprisoned, as ye say, so I am not sure I understand why Johnson would need to defeat him. Additionally, gathering from what ye have said, this guy "D'mmmanachis" doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Nail of Nawll (or the run in the weave...or me dirt bond, whatever the heck that is) but if we do want to find "D'mmmanachis", we first need to find a goblin by the name of "Gxemk Madshadow" - as it be this goblin's destiny to find the prison in which "D'mmmanachis" be shackled... Sounds like Johnson has quite a bit of work ahead of him.

Still holding one of the Bard's shoulders, Bob gestures over to Andrew,
Poor Andrew, on the other hand, has been told it be his destiny is to join this party... Though ye have no details as to what role or of what import he be?

Now, stepping back in front of the group, directly in front of the two elven women, Bob places both of his hands over his heart.
In stunning contrast to that, however, I be the dirt of destiny that shall keep this party from straying off course... {It sounds like i be the wet-nurse to ye all!} For if I be understanding ye correctly - there are many tasks set before us, and they all seem different, but they are all related - they are all "part of the same tree"

Is there anything else of use you can tell us?

Turning back to the other party members, Bob says
Or shall we all head just pack up, and start "heading east" to find "a tribe"?

Quickly turning once again to the Elves, Bob says sarcastically
OH! I just realized, a cardinal direction by itself is a tad bit vague, actually. Are we talking "east" as in near the village of Swords Pool, just east of here? Are we talking about "east" as in the other side of the Earthspur Mountains? The Great Dale? Thay? The ENDLESS WASTES?!?!? Is there by any chance some sort of landmark - Natural or otherwise, that might have shown up in yer little ORB there, that could give us a better clue of where we are supposed to be going?

Snowbluff
2014-08-04, 10:11 PM
"I think I might be Cheech even though that is not my name." Say Andrew. "Anyway if this is really our destiny it may be unavoidable either way. We could do anything and we would be well on our way."

jedipotter
2014-08-05, 04:09 AM
Chomylla Dawnseer "Yes, Bob, you have it right. We don't know the future. Not in exact detail. We just know bits and pieces. We don't know the whole story."

Ulelesse Dewcaster "Almost everything we have said is vague, but that is the way of destiny. East is our best guess. It's not like Gxemk Madshadow stands by a landmark or a sign. He is moving a lot."

Chomylla Dawnseer "We know it is a lot to take in, but we don't know the time branches. It will be soon, but we don't know when."

ddude987
2014-08-05, 07:29 AM
East it is! We leave along the East road in the morning. Be sure to pack your bags and get your gear before we leave lads.

Oddman80
2014-08-05, 07:56 AM
You know, Gogglestrpoh, that tis not even mid day? Is there anyone of you that would require more than an hour's time to prepare to depart?
I have a few correspondences I must draft fore we leave. And, I must also secure the services of a couple of messengers, to make sure my businesses continue running smoothly. But other than that, I be packed and ready to go!

Turning once again to the Elves, Bob walks over to the two women, and placing a hand on each of their shoulders says
Thank you for bringing word of our destiny to us. While I personally like having a more defined plan -- After all, me businesses didn't succeed, as such, through pure luck! -- I suppose if what you have spoken be true, that what friend Andrew here has spoke also be true. If it be our destiny, that it be our destiny - and the only thing that matters is that we begin our journey.

Hey everybody - looks like we're finally on our way. Yay! Just as a reminder - Bob has the character flaw "Gullible". He tends to be VERY trusting of strangers, unless they have clearly wronged him in some way first. I purposely have note been rolling any "Sense Motive" checks, though it is in my personal (IRL) nature to do so. While it would be pretty crappy if the first plot hook we were sent on was by evil NPC's trying to actually cause chaos and disruption in the world... it is of course always possible. So I am just curious if anyone else has rolled "Sense Motive" checks or has the ability to "Detect Evil" or what not... if not, whatever - just thought it might be a useful before we set out.

ddude987
2014-08-05, 10:52 AM
Then let us be ready in the hour. I, for one, feel quite ready. A loud audible grumble emanates from Gogglestorph's stomach Perhaps I should stock some food and water for the journey.

So I never wrote money in my possessions list because I wasn't sure how much we should start with. How much seems reasonable?

torrasque666
2014-08-05, 11:40 AM
"Aye. I'll be ready then. I just need to go and grab my things quick."

Same here. I just gave him the basics. You know, dagger and spellbook.

The Vagabond
2014-08-05, 11:46 AM
Johnson nodded, "Alright, just let me grab my stuff," he said, picking up his bag of holding and his Backpack, smiling before pausing.
"Just wondering, should we grab a tent? Maybe another ladder? And is anyone here decent with Nunchaku?"

I just have a random bunch of junk in his bag. So I have no idea whether most of it should even be allowed.
He looked at a bartender, pulling out five bottles from his bag of holding, "Mind filling these up with liquids for the road?"

ddude987
2014-08-05, 12:19 PM
Gogglestorph pulls out 2 hefty wineskins Fill these too. Your most watered down red you have sir.

jedipotter
2014-08-05, 12:27 PM
Chomylla Dawnseer "We hope each of you finds and fulfills your destinies."

Durmug Hammerdown fills the bottles and wineskins with a frothy red liquid.

Oddman80
2014-08-05, 01:02 PM
Waving to the two elves, Bob says Thank ye both, before turning back to the others.

I will meet ye all at the town square in 1 hours time. Ha! Ha! Adventure!

After leaving the Hammering Inn, Bob heads towards the general store, where he pays the store clerk 3 silver for a sheet of parchment, and the use of a quill and ink. He pens the following letter, which shall be carried to each of his franchise farms, and shown to the respective workers:

To my trustee friends and collegues, Frank, Ted, Bill, Jack and Clay,

An emergency has come up and I will not be able to complete my rounds this quarter. I am sure you all are doing just fine with the waste collection and compost farming. You men have all shown such great growth these past years, and I am proud of each and every one of you. I truly am sorry that I will need to miss this trip, but I will be returning next quarter to check in with you all in person. However, in my absence, please deliver this quarter's profits to Stephen Lightfoot (you should recognize him from past messages I have sent). He is a trusted friend here in Fallentree, and he will be bringing the monies back to my wife Sally. Your adherence to the schedule and normal procedures will be rewarded on my return. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Bob Kyleson

After drafting the letter, Bob proceeds to Stephen Lightfoot's house. Stephen has served as messenger for Bob on a number of occasions in the past. Bob offers Stephen 5 gp to make the looping journey to Dragon Falls, Dark Hollow, Bambryn, Sendrin, and his own home to deliver the collected money to Sally. Though the distance only warrants a fee of about 2 gp (at 2 cp/mile), Bob offers the larger amount due both to his excitement for his upcoming adventure, as well as the short notice and urgent need for the messages to get to their destination. Bob tells Stephen that he will provide a significant bonus on his return to Fallentree, if he successfully completes his task.

ddude987
2014-08-05, 09:38 PM
well I've got me water... err... wine so I'm ask ready to travel. Should have enough supplies for myself for two weeks and good shocky for a week

Oddman80
2014-08-05, 10:19 PM
Having finished all of the tasks he set out to do, Bob Kyleson returns to the town square and waits for the rest of Destiny's Children to return.

Dibs on getting to be Beyoncé Knowles! Ha Ha the bard will have to settle for Michelle Williams....

jedipotter
2014-08-06, 12:21 AM
It's just after noon as everyone gathers in the town square. And your faced with the question:

Follow a road or trail east?

Or just go off into the wild in an eastern direction?

Snowbluff
2014-08-06, 12:35 AM
Andrew takes a sip of his mead. "I'm sick of rats. Who is up for wandering eastwards?"

I wanted Beyoncé. :v

torrasque666
2014-08-06, 12:43 AM
​"I'm good for either."

Oddman80
2014-08-06, 07:31 AM
Snowbluff, if you really feel that strongly, go right ahead and "single lady" it up. I'll resign myself.to one of the original, pre-fame members, LaToya Luckett. :-(

If we take the trail southeast we will reach Dead Tree Hollow, and we can then head further East along the Fire River, which leads to a valley 'tween the Earthspur and Earthfast Mountains. That would be the easiest of journeys. Or we can head straight east through that Forrest o'er there, and arrive, eventually, at the village of Swords Pool and then onto the base of the Earthspur Mountains.

I am fine going either way. Though if we plan on going through the forrest we should not dawdle. I would not want to get stuck in there at night.

ddude987
2014-08-06, 07:38 AM
Seeing as I don't have as I don't see an overwhelming preference between us all, why don't we flip for it? Of course I still don't have a map and have no idea where we're going but thank you Bob for detailing those places. Gogglestorph brandishes a gold coin, gesturing for someone to take it and flip it.

Was the I have know idea a grammar joke meaning you actually did know?

The Vagabond
2014-08-06, 07:40 AM
"Alright, just let me perform a few more songs before I go!"
[roll0]
After the hour passed and with a hat full of silver, he walked back out, grabbed the coin. "Heads forest, tails other thingymawhatsit."
[roll1] 1-2 H, 3-4 T
"The other thingymawhatsit it is then."

Oddman80
2014-08-06, 10:12 AM
know, ddude, I did knot no that aye hat ethan dawn that.

Bob Kylson, hops onto his horse, Buttercup, and announces, boldly:
To the Trail is is, Ha! Ha!

As Bob laughs with gusto, Buttercup rears up on her hind legs, and neighs dramatically.
Bob pulls out his shovel and points with it, towards the southeastern road out of town.

Onward, Hiyah!, he shouts. With that, Buttercup starts galloping off. After a few strides, Bob, looks back at the rest of the group, and pulls on Buttercup's reins, slowing her down to a trot. Looking back again, he pulls the reins once more, until she is just moving at a slow walk. Looking back one last time to the group, he bashfully says

Sorry 'bout that... Just got a little excited, I did.

The Vagabond
2014-08-06, 10:23 AM
Johnson stares at him.
"We should all get horses." he said.

ddude987
2014-08-06, 12:22 PM
Well I don't know a horse big enough for shocky to ride, and I won't leave him behind. I say we travel on foot. If we use horses and ride them hard, they'll exhaust and carrying enough supplies for them might be a challenge. I say only take what we need until we know where we are actually headed.

jedipotter
2014-08-06, 12:41 PM
It's a bright, sunny day, with few clouds in the sky. The way eastward is open, should anyone want to head that way.

The Vagabond
2014-08-06, 12:43 PM
"Well, I have a bag of holding. No idea what's in there, though, other than maybe a few ladders? Idon't know." he said, as he began to walk down the road.

torrasque666
2014-08-06, 12:47 PM
"I hope you have food in there. My parent's couldn't afford to give me food for this trip." Bartelby pauses for a second. ​"Yeah, I still live with my parents."

Snowbluff
2014-08-06, 01:15 PM
"That's sad man." Andrew takes another sip of his mead. "I can probably grab us some extra rations."

torrasque666
2014-08-06, 01:20 PM
"Nah, I should be fine. I make money just fine. The little tricks I can do make enough." Bartelby sighs. "Besides, I was just joking see?" he asks, pulling out a pouch from behind his back. "I'm a conman, man."

Oddman80
2014-08-06, 01:35 PM
As Johnson and the others catch up to him, Bob and Buttercup continue heading down the eastern road. Looking back to Gogglestroph, Bob says

Do ye ever ride Shockey? Or do ye always just walk along side him? I thought mules could handle quite the load... As far as travelling Preferences go, I'll be stickin' with buttercup, here. We've gone on many a journey together, and I ain't gonna just stick her in a strange stable for no good reason. We don't have to ride hard, or nothing. We'll just walk at ye all's pace.

As he finishes talking, Bob leans forward over his saddle and gives Buttercup a firm rub on her neck.

ddude987
2014-08-06, 02:09 PM
Gasping, an offended look on his face, Nobody rides Shocky. That's degrading. How would you like it if someone road you because they were to lazy to walk? Gogglestorph sniffs, I'll be walking, as will Shocky here.

jedipotter
2014-08-06, 03:37 PM
The road east is mostly hard packed dirt, and looks very well traveled. Leaving town you don't see anyone else on the road. It takes about a half hour to move past the outlying fortified farms. After that, you enter the real wilderness.

A couple minutes after that, you hear lots of noise on the road ahead. Coming into sight, in the distance, you all see nine goblins. They are all armed and armored. Five of them has shoves and are in the possess of digging a large hole in the road, the other four are watching the hole being dug. They seem fairly preoccupied with what they are doing.

Snowbluff
2014-08-06, 03:57 PM
Andrew gathers darkness around himself. "I will strike from the shadows..." he murmurs.

Invoking Darkness.

Swift action hide in plain sight check, Blending into Shadows: [roll0]
I should have Faded into Darkness at the start for the +5.

torrasque666
2014-08-06, 04:10 PM
"I can blast 'em from here." Bartelby mutters to Bob. "Should I?"

Oddman80
2014-08-06, 04:43 PM
Bob pulls on Buttercup’s reins to bring her to a halt, dismounts, and ties her off to a nearby tree, all while moving as quietly as he can.
Standing behind his horse so that his position is concealed from the goblins, Bob arms himself with his shortbow and knocks an arrow. Whispering to Bartleby, Gogglestroph and Johnson, Bob says with a smirk,

Aye, Bartleby. that sounds like a plan. And it looks like I’m gonna get a wee bit o’ target practice in as well. If anyone else is able to attack from this range, it’ll probably be a good thing. We might be able to take out a few of these wretched scum ‘fore they get near. How about we all attack on a six count?

From this location, how far out are the goblins? My range increment is 70’ with the shortbow. I have a horrible penalty to my ranged attack due to Murky Eyed flaw, and lack of proficiency in anything other than my shovel..... so I will probably want to move into range, to avoid loading on more penalties. Regardless, I think I have done enough for now, and I should wait a round before proceeding.
Therefore, I will just roll:

Move Silently
[roll0]

ddude987
2014-08-06, 06:16 PM
Gogglestorph draws his spear, crouching and moving along the left flank. [roll0]

Oddman80
2014-08-07, 07:14 AM
Bob walks nonchalantly out into the middle of the path while beginning his pull. Gauging the distance to the closest goblin, he raises the bow and completes the draw. As he sets his anchor, and aims his shot, Bob sees that his bow arm is shaking.

{Moradin's Balls!}

Bob takes a deep breath, as he attempts to steady his nerves. Exhaling calmly, he lets the arrow fly.

Attack: [roll0]
Vs. Flat-footed AC
Damage: [roll1]

Oddman80
2014-08-07, 07:26 AM
As he sees the arrow slice off to the right, Bob Grumbles in exasperation:
Moradin's, sweaty, stinkin' BALLS!

ddude987
2014-08-07, 07:59 AM
As Gogglestorph notices Bob knocking an arrow, he quickly attempts to hide in the brush he'd been sneaking through. [roll0] Gogglestorph hears the whistle of the arrow and the tell tale clatter of a missed shot. Now he's done it Gogglestophs face twisted in disgust No tactics whatsoever. Even shocky would have better bloody tactics... where is shocky?! In the heat of the moment, the sweet thrill of an impending battle, Gogglestoph had forgot to ensure Shocky's safety. Damn mule better have moved off the blasted road by now

torrasque666
2014-08-07, 08:25 AM
Bartelby focused on the nearest goblin, muttering to himself and twiddling his fingers, letting what magic he had flow through him.

[roll0]

ddude987
2014-08-07, 10:31 AM
Maybe the goblins aren't actually out to get it Gogglestorph thought. A missile of force blasts into a goblin. Guess its to late for that Gogglestorph braces himself, preparing to enter the fray.

Assuming we should roll initiative at this point.
Init: [roll0]

torrasque666
2014-08-07, 10:43 AM
I really hope I didn't jump the gun there. This could turn out badly if I did.

agreed.
[roll0]

Oddman80
2014-08-07, 10:48 AM
Since the goblins hadn't been paying any attention - this should be considered a surprise round. We should each get one free attack in (if we so choose) prior to needing to roll initiative to establish turn orders with the Goblins. When Bob said "How about we all attack on a six count" that should have alerted Gogglestroph, and the others that he planned on attacking in the next round. You used a move action to "move along the left flank" but if you can pull off a ranged attack, go for it, as it wold still be possible during your turn.

But since you went ahead and rolled - I'll do so as well in preparation for next round.
Initiative: [roll0]

jedipotter
2014-08-07, 03:02 PM
The goblins were unaware and surprised. Everyone got a 'free action', up until combat started with the magic missle hit....

The goblins waste no time in screaming, drawing their weapons and charging.

Initiative [roll0]

The magic missile zips over and hits a goblin in the chest....it dies and falls to the ground.

You first spotted the goblins 150 feet away, and moved closer. You can pick and distance between 150-20 feet away to start round 1.

Combat order: (so far) Bob, Gogglestorph, Bartelby, the goblins

torrasque666
2014-08-07, 03:05 PM
Bartelby is 100ft away from the goblins.

Thought it would have started with the arrow attack, but ok.

ddude987
2014-08-07, 03:36 PM
Gogglestorph is off the road 10ft. and 80ft. from the goblins.

jedipotter
2014-08-07, 11:04 PM
I doubt any goblin even noticed the arrow.....

Oddman80
2014-08-07, 11:10 PM
Bob Kylson is 80' away from the goblins as well.
He is standing right in the middle of the road, and is knocking another arrow.

I will wait until 5pm tomorrow before posting my next action, unless Snowbluff and The Vagabond both post before then (as that will mark 48 hours since that last time they posted).

jedipotter
2014-08-08, 12:04 AM
Yes, the fun of PbP is lots of people just vanish. Happens all the time. You can PM them and remind them to post (if they log in at all). More PM's never hurt....

Snowbluff
2014-08-08, 04:23 AM
Andrew rolls his init.

He'll move 60 feet along the edge of the road, still hidden.

[roll0]

ddude987
2014-08-08, 07:36 AM
I don't see why people would dissapear without a notice. Common courtesy. And then, why dissapear? Its takes 5 maybe 10 minutes out of your day to post a few times. Not saying anyone here, dissapeared, its just a common thing I've heard about PbP and I never understood it.

The Vagabond
2014-08-08, 07:48 AM
"Evening!" he called, walking up next to him, "Know that we are not here to cause any harm, you see, and would like to know where someone called Gxemk Madshadow is located!" he shouted.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]Idleness, and sometimes you don't really feel like posting. And apologies for my lack of posting, have been distracted the past two days by Unturned.

Oddman80
2014-08-08, 08:18 AM
Johnson, you FOOL! What are ye doing? These vile things were clearly setting up an ambush when we arrived. They planned on killing and looting any unfortunate passers by....

While calling out back to the Bard, Bob guages the distance between he and the charging goblins. He feels confident that he can take out at least one of these little freaks before they reach him. As soon as the first goblin comes within 60' of him, Bob fires his arrow at it.

Damage:[roll1]

Immediately after loosing the arrow, Bob turns and runs back up the road 20'. As he runs, he pulls out another arrow from the quiver and knocks it on his bowstring, all while continuing to berate the bard:

If ye wish to continue existing in this plane, I suggest ye find a way to end these little nasties.

With that, Bob turns to face the oncoming goblin pack.

ddude987
2014-08-08, 09:36 AM
Now I don't know if JP allows readying of partial charges, but for this turn I won't do such, just in case. For future note though, JP, do you allow readying an action to ready a partial charge?

Gogglestorph, spear drawn, gets ready to come up on the goblins as they run past him, taking them in the rear while the rest of the party attacks the front. (Gogglestorph delays his turn until after the goblins)

You said the goblins drew their weapons, what weapons did they draw? Or are we to far away to notice? More or less looking for, did they draw ranged weapons, melee, or a mix rather than specific weapons.

Oddman80
2014-08-08, 10:06 AM
Oh - I had just assumed they were wielding shovels like I am about to be doing... I thought I was about to enter a Shovel Battle Royale.

While my 7 hp, makes me wary of joining in close combat melee, it seems that Bad Rolls + Shaky Flaw + Murky Eyed + No BAB + No Weapon Proficiency = Ineffective Short Bow Wielding Dwarf Commoner.... so I don't think i have much choice here.

jedipotter
2014-08-08, 12:43 PM
Combat order: Bob, Andrew, Gogglestorph, Bartelby, the goblins , Johnson

The goblins are armed with a mix of clubs, axes, short swords. They don't have any long range weapons that you can see.

Round 1

Bob is on the road, 80 feet away from the goblins. Andrew is 60 feet away, off the road hiding, Gogglestorph is 80 feet away, but ten feet off the road, Bartelby is 100 feet away, on the road and Johnson....did not list a distance, so guessed you walked up to 80 feet with Bob, and will be using your diplomacy skill for the next minute(as we go through 10 rounds of combat).

Bob acts first. Your on the road. With eight goblins charging towards you. So you will hold your action until a goblin gets to within 60, shoot your arrow and then leave Jhonson and move back 20 feet to where Bartelby is standing?

If the above is correct, then you are just holding..for now.

Andrew that makes it your action......

Oddman80
2014-08-08, 12:58 PM
Everything you said, as far as my actions, was accurate. The only thing I thought to be different from what you stated was that, since Johnson didn't say he got any closer, he would have remained where he was - in the back with Bartleby. Hence, the "calling back to the bard" I had mentioned before firing my last shot.

Once I fired the shot, I fell back into position along side Johnson and Bartelby at the "100' away from the hole in the road" location. I was standing beside two of them, there, when I gave the bard the "if you want to live, then fight" line

Snowbluff
2014-08-08, 01:01 PM
Andrew holds his action, hiding in his darkness on the side of the road.

Next!

ddude987
2014-08-08, 01:05 PM
Still hiding off of the road slightly, Gogglestorph waits. (Delaying turn until after gobbos)

next...

jedipotter
2014-08-08, 02:43 PM
That takes us all the way down to: Bartelby

As everyone so far....

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx284/TheWacoKidd/braveheart-hold-original.jpg

torrasque666
2014-08-08, 08:03 PM
"Time for these punks to sit down." Bartelby says as he targets the lead goblin with yet another Magic Missile.

[roll0]

jedipotter
2014-08-08, 08:19 PM
Bartelby's magic missle hits! The lead goblin taks the missle in the chest and drops to the dusty road.

The other seven goblins charge forward!

The goblins charge a total of 60 feet forward from where they start. At that point, BoB can fire his ready arrow......and move.

The goblins end the turn on the road 40 feet from Bartelby and Bob; just 20 feet from Johnson.

Oddman80
2014-08-09, 02:00 AM
So it's the Bard's turn now?

The Vagabond
2014-08-09, 09:16 AM
Johnson watches as the wave of Goblins charge.
"Forward!" he cried, as he played a magical tune (Inspire courage) from his guitar to everyone around, before moving back 30 ft.

Oddman80
2014-08-09, 09:45 AM
Bob pulls the arrow and lets it fly.

Bob backpedals 20' while pulling out his Masterwork Shovel, and placing the Composite Bow back over his shoulder.

Time to DIG IN!!!

jedipotter
2014-08-09, 01:40 PM
Everyone, plus the goblins, has taken their action for round 1. Would Andrew or Gogglestorph like to take their action before the end of the round or will they just hold?

ddude987
2014-08-09, 08:53 PM
I would like to ready an action to throw a spear at a goblin as it runs past on the road. The first to run within 20' (one range increment).

jedipotter
2014-08-09, 10:55 PM
The goblins are close to 20 feet away from Gogglestorph. They started 80 feet away, and ran 60 feet down the road. As Gogglestorph is ten feet off the road, that puts the goblins a total of 30 feet away.

Are you sure you want to ready an action, and take no action for round one. You can move, up to 30 feet and still throw your weapon.

Snowbluff
2014-08-09, 11:05 PM
How far away is the nearest goblin from me?

ddude987
2014-08-10, 06:41 AM
Well, I wanted to catch the gobbos by surprise so they don't swarm all over me. I figured jumping outta the bushes and spearing one of them as they charge past me is a good way to not get swarmed

jedipotter
2014-08-10, 01:08 PM
At the end of round 1 Andrew is just five feet from the goblins, hidden in the shadows on the edge of the road. Not that the goblins are aware he is there as they are just charging past down the road.

Oddman80
2014-08-10, 07:27 PM
Bob knocks and pulls one final arrow, and aims at the leading goblin.
{All Father and Soul Forger, please help guide this arrow}
With that whispered prayer, Bob lets the arrow fly.

Backpedaling another 20', Bob places his bow over his shoulder, and draws his trusty Shovel. With a smirk, Bob says:
Whatever... That bow was the PITS. Me thinks it be time to DITCH it in exchange for something a wee more HOLE-Y

jedipotter
2014-08-11, 01:08 PM
Unless Andrew wishes to take an action...we will move on to round 2.

Snowbluff
2014-08-11, 01:18 PM
And get swarmed by gobbos? No thanks. :smalltongue:

jedipotter
2014-08-11, 05:16 PM
Round 2

Bob is on the road, 60 feet away from the goblins. Andrew is right next to the goblins, but 10 feet off the road, unnoticed for now, Gogglestorph is right next to the goblins, but ten feet off the road, also unnoticed as far as you can tell for now, Bartelby is 40 feet away, on the road and Johnson is 70 feet away on the road, playing his guitar.

The goblins are running right toward Bartelby on the road.

Bob gets to act first....

Oddman80
2014-08-11, 06:04 PM
sorry for jumping the gun there... I now see how you plan on running combat rounds and will wait for the round title next time... So... Since you didn't include my false start in the opening description of round 2, I'll throw it in again.

Bob knocks and pulls one final arrow, and aims at the leading goblin.
{All Father and Soul Forger, please help guide this arrow}
With that whispered prayer, Bob lets the arrow fly.

Attack: 1d20-3
Damage: 1d6+3

Backpedaling another 20', Bob places his bow over his shoulder, and draws his trusty Shovel. With a smirk, Bob says:
Whatever... That bow was the PITS. Me thinks it be time to DITCH it in exchange for something a wee more HOLE-Y

Oddman80
2014-08-11, 06:13 PM
Crap, not sure what that's about... I was just trying to fix the end spoiler bracket at the top of the post. I guess in retrospect, it makes sense that they wouldn't want you editing rolls, but that's not what I was editing. I straight up got a 1 on attack, if you are wondering... So, yeah, bob continues to not roll above a 5 with a bow....

jedipotter
2014-08-12, 01:22 AM
Another 20 feet away? Do you never want to fight in melee?

Andrew it's your turn to act during Round 2

Oddman80
2014-08-12, 04:56 PM
I think some things go messed up with my repeated false starts for round two before round two had begun.
If you look at your post about the goings on of round 1 - I had been standing next to Johnson (80' away from goblins), fired an arrow and backed up 20' to Bartleby, who was 100' away from goblins. Goblins then charged 60'. So at the at the end of round 1, Bartelby & I were 40' from the goblins. Still in round 1, though after the Goblins charged, Johnson found himself just 20' from the goblins. He began playing bardic music and then moved back 30' (so he would be 10' further back than bartelby and I were standing - or 50' away from the goblins position at the end of round 1).

At the beginning of Round 2, Bartelby and I should still be 40' away from the goblins and Johnson should be 50' away from them.

On my turn, I fired an arrow and then backed up an additional 20'. That would put me 10' behind Johnson, and 60' away from the goblins.. I have pulled out my shovel, preparing for melee - The Goblins should now be 60' away from me until their turn. I am hoping that by falling back, and with Johnson unable to go until after the goblins, the goblins will not be able to reach me in a charge attack this round (Bad news for Johnson), and therefore I should be safe from damage for another round.

Bartelby should be able to get off one more magic missile before falling back for cover (behind me) Hopefully, Johnson survives, and he, Andrew and Gogglestroph all take successful offensive actions this round as well, so that when melee begins next round, there could be as few as 4 goblins left.

Hey - level 1 encounters are always the most dangerous, right?

Snowbluff
2014-08-12, 05:42 PM
Andrew

Andrew fire lasers from his eyes at the nearest goblin! Then moves 30 feet down the road and hides again.

Touch attack EB: [roll0]
Mortalbane EB damage: [roll1]

Hide [roll2]

torrasque666
2014-08-13, 03:11 PM
Bartelby fires off his last Magic Missile before retreating 20'.

[roll0]

ddude987
2014-08-13, 05:13 PM
Gogglestorph delayed until after gobbos so initiative changed, he is normally after them, and currently has a readied action. Is this not the case, and it is my turn?

Oddman80
2014-08-13, 06:51 PM
So goblins are up, then you, then Bard - end round 2... Got it.

jedipotter
2014-08-13, 10:04 PM
Andrew and Bartelby both fire at the same charging goblin and kill it.

Gogglestorph acts at the same time as the goblins...so you can go now.

jedipotter
2014-08-15, 01:23 AM
Three goblin's throw the spears they are holding at Bartelby

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Two of the spears fly off wildly and don't come close to hitting anything, the third hits Bartelby in the chest.

The other four goblins, and the first three charge forward sixty feet to end their turn.

The Vagabond
2014-08-15, 12:20 PM
Johnson watched as the charged at him.
And proceed to take a step back, and then to attempt to run away (40 Meters).
"I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO!"
He paused.
He turned around.

Oddman80
2014-08-15, 03:24 PM
As he watches, bewilderedly, as Johnson scurries off in a dead run, Bob shouts after him:
SUCK ON AN ORC'S SACK! YOU YELLOW BELLIED, TONE DEAF, CANKER!!!!

Watching the seven remaining goblins close in, Bob prays -

{Forgive me Moradin for however I have transgressed ye. Still, delivering me into the company of such a pitiful fool seems a bit below the belt, no?}

jedipotter
2014-08-15, 07:16 PM
Unless wishes to take an action....this will be the end of Round 2.

Oddman80
2014-08-15, 07:40 PM
Did the goblins charge 6 feet or 60?

If the former, well... Weird...
If the latter, then gogglstroph's readied action (spear throw) is triggered.
That's a 1d20+7 to hit and a 1d6+2 for damage (but I'll leave actual rolls to he or you).

In light of your post in the "Dealing with Disruptive Players" thread, I figured I should mention he already said what his action was, it was just happing after goblins went. And if I recall correctly from last week, there aren't too many posts over the weekend.

jedipotter
2014-08-15, 07:47 PM
Er that was 60 feet. Fixed the post.

ddude987
2014-08-15, 09:11 PM
Sorry everyone, I'm on a cross country trip driving from Florida to upstate NY.

If it is in fact my readied action triggering...

Gogglestorph rises from the bushes he was hiding in and chucks his spear into the nearest goblin.

spear: [roll0] [roll1]

The spear (most likely) fails to fly true, falling short of the gobbos.

jedipotter
2014-08-16, 11:59 AM
Gogglestorph Misses

End round 2

Round 3

Bob's action.

Bob is on the road, just 20 feet from the charging group of six goblins......

Oddman80
2014-08-16, 09:44 PM
Assuming my calculations are right, Bartleby and I are standing 20' back from the front of the goblin horde. Having watched the goblins just flub their last attack, Bob feels he has a decent chance taking them.... Bob may be suffering from adrenaline fueled delusions of grandeur right now. I really hope Bartleby has another offensive spell or is willing to pull a dagger and get in the fray...

Bob holds his shovel high in the air with one hand. with the other, he pats Bartleby heartily on the shoulder. Looking the wizard in the eye, he says

May the All Father shield us, as we deliver unto him the BLOOD of the WICKED!!!!!!

While shouting that final word, Bob peels off from Bartelby, grabbing the shovel with both hands, and charges the lead goblin.

jedipotter
2014-08-17, 07:52 PM
It's 20 feet, like I posted above. You have no problem moving and attacking.

BoB Hits! BoB's shovel digs into the goblins skin like...a shovel through soft dirt. The goblin only has time to let out a gurgle of blood before it falls to the ground quite dead.

Andrews turn to act. Andrew is 70 feet behind the goblins (60 feet down the road, 10 feet off the road). The goblins charged right past you...

Snowbluff
2014-08-17, 08:28 PM
Andrew
Andrew moves up 10 feet, and fires another eye blast again before returning to the shadows.
Attack roll versus touch, or Touch Flat Footed if he can see me: [roll0]
Damage for Moil EB (3 left): [roll1]
Hide Check: [roll2]

jedipotter
2014-08-17, 09:41 PM
Andrews eye beams miss....

Gogglestorph turn to act. Gogglestorph is 70 feet behind the goblins, 60 feet down the road and 10 feet off the road.

ddude987
2014-08-19, 03:43 PM
Gogglestorph hike over, picks his spear up, and turns to face the goblins. He grits his teeth Time to skewer the bastards

Move: move to spear
Standard->Move: pick up spear

torrasque666
2014-08-21, 01:09 PM
Bartelby lies on the ground bleeding out.

[roll0]

Oddman80
2014-08-21, 05:34 PM
Suck on an Orc's tit!!! The wizard be down?!?! Andrew - Send those blasts THIS WAY!
Bob calls out towards the woods while pointing to the cluster of goblins beside him.

Gogglestroph! Considering yer deep love of things spikey, ye might want to pack a few more spears next time... Or, ye know, ye can pull that bow off yer back and start shootin!! Lest ye be hopin fer one less dwarf on this plane

jedipotter
2014-08-23, 04:54 PM
Bartelby lies on the ground bleeding out.

Ohhh...I see

torrasque666
2014-08-23, 04:57 PM
Three goblin's throw the spears they are holding at Bartelby

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

All the spears fly off wildly and don't come close to hitting anything.

The other four goblins, and the first three charge forward sixity feet to end thier turn.

He's at -5 HP. The first shot took him to 0.

Oddman80
2014-08-23, 08:16 PM
Only the first roll would have hit your 9AC. That did 6 damage which would have wiped all your hp away, as you had 6 HP to begin with... So when did you get to -5 hp?

jedipotter
2014-08-23, 08:52 PM
He's at -5 HP. The first shot took him to 0.

6-6=0, not -5 ?

torrasque666
2014-08-23, 11:45 PM
Welp, I derped.. He's going to move 15 feet back then.

jedipotter
2014-08-25, 02:36 PM
The couple of goblins left stop their charge and look around confused. One goblin makes a couple quick hand movements and the last five goblins form a ring, back to back, on the road, holding their spears, clubs and axes at the ready.

Johnson's action....

Oddman80
2014-08-28, 06:28 AM
Soooooo..... Has this game dissolved before the first combat encounter even ended? I assume everyone is waiting on Jedi to respond to the Q's I posted in the OOC thread, before stating their own actions for the remainder of the round...

Jedi? I PM'd you yesterday.... The OOC post was made 2 days before that... You going to respond?

The Vagabond
2014-08-28, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I'm waiting for Jedi to respond to your OoC Post.

ddude987
2014-08-28, 08:45 AM
Ive been busy but im finally all moved into a new apartment and able to check the pbp consistently. I hope it doesn't dissolve

Snowbluff
2014-08-28, 09:40 AM
It's not my turn.

jedipotter
2014-08-28, 03:41 PM
I'm here! Computer problems......you don't know how many times I tried to post, only to have them eaten :smallmad:

The five renaming goblins have formed a ring, shoulder to shoulder and have their weapons out and ready.

Johnson is back along the road. 50 feet away from the goblins, and 40 feet away from Bob

Bartelby is laying on the ground on the road.

Johnson's action for round 3

The Vagabond
2014-08-29, 03:33 PM
Johnson turned around, and charged up to the goblin, pulling out his dagger, "COOOWEEEERRRR!"
He then proceeded to stab the goblin in the back.

[roll0]
[roll1]

ddude987
2014-08-31, 11:06 AM
and/or when is it gogglestorph's turn?

jedipotter
2014-09-03, 01:20 AM
Johnson hits! The goblin lets out a slight gurgle and flops to the dirt....

Round 4

Bob's action....Bob is right next to the goblins.

Oddman80
2014-09-03, 08:33 AM
Upon seeing another goblin fall, Bob disregards his own safety and tightens his grip on his shovel. Leading with its bladed tip, Bob drives the shovel head upwards, into the fleshy part of the closest goblin's neck.

Oddman80
2014-09-03, 08:39 AM
WHO's NEXT? Bob growls with an increasingly savage sneer.

Snowbluff
2014-09-03, 01:12 PM
Andrew

Andrew lasers another goblin.

[roll0]
[roll1]
hide: [roll2]

ddude987
2014-09-03, 02:46 PM
Pretty sure I should attack the goblins now... Gogglestroph thinks to himself. Hefting his spear, he lines himself up, and charges the goblins.

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1] (1d6 from punishing stance)

if it wasen't my turn than just do this on my turn. I've been rather busy and figured I should just post now that I can

torrasque666
2014-09-03, 03:30 PM
"You guys deal with this. I'm gonna just sit here and try to keep my organs inside." Bartelby says.

Skipping turn.

jedipotter
2014-09-03, 10:22 PM
Bob's attack hits, and he kills another goblin.

Andrew's eye beams miss....

Gogglestroph hits and kills a goblin.

Leaving just one goblin standing.

The last goblin turns and runs.

Bob or Gogglestroph can make an Attack of Opportunity on the goblin, if either or both of you wish too..

Next up is Johnson's turn to act....

Oddman80
2014-09-04, 08:22 AM
LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A VOLUNTEER! Bob calls out to the fleeing goblin. Swinging his shovel in a motion akin to a woodsman splitting logs with an axe, Bob brings down his shovel on the last goblin's head.

Oddman80
2014-09-04, 09:54 AM
Seeing the goblin fall dead, Bob scans his surroundings in an adrenaline fueled frenzy (panting loudly, in an almost animal-like manner), looking to see if there are any more threats standing.

[roll0]

jedipotter
2014-09-04, 02:33 PM
Bob sees nothing of note along the road and nearby, other then his couple of companions and a couple of dead goblin bodies. The area is mostly peaceful, other then the sound of the wind blowing and some random insects.

Oddman80
2014-09-04, 03:02 PM
Seeing that the fight is truly over, Bob Kyleson tries to get control of himself. He lowers the head of his shovel to the ground, leaning on it as he tries to catch his breath. Only then does he realize Bartelby is lying on the ground bleeding back by Buttercup and Shockey. Running over to the fallen wizard, Bob crouches down beside the human:

Bartleby! What did those lil' cretins do ta ye? Are ye okay?

Unsure if his new friend is dying or just hurt, Bob attempts to give first aid.

Heal Check
[roll0]

The Vagabond
2014-09-04, 08:03 PM
"Calling it now, we're gonna get sued!" he cried, "That, or get arrested for killing several sentient beings. Who knows, maybe they had families?" the man cried.

Oddman80
2014-09-05, 12:27 AM
Get ahold of yerself ye sobbing sissy! Bob shouts at Johnson. Defendin' yerself from attackin' goblin scum be no crime I e'er heard of. Now, a good man is down o'er here. If ye can quell those tears for a bit, ye might be able ta find something useful in that bag of yers.

jedipotter
2014-09-05, 02:19 AM
Bob gives good first aid to Bartleby. Bartleby is now stable.

The Vagabond
2014-09-05, 11:51 AM
"Hey, I'm not crying, I'm terrified of lawyers! I mean, seriously, who wants to risk getting sued! I could have sworn I read somewhere that Goblins made excellent laughers." he said.
He looked around, and sighed, looking through all the bodies.
[roll0]

jedipotter
2014-09-06, 01:47 PM
Each goblin is wearing, more or less, a bunch of mismatched crude clothing. There are eleven empty fur sacks, and one fur sack with twenty silver coins in it. They had plenty of weapons: 9 spears, 15 daggers, 6 short swords, 11 clubs, 8 hand axes, 4 war hammers and one whip.

Johnson finds a gold, heart shaped locket on one goblins foot when he removes the boot...

The Vagabond
2014-09-06, 03:13 PM
Slipping all of the random junk into his bag of holding, Johnson pauses, as he looks at the Locket.
"... Damnit, I'm gonna regret this."
He opens it, preparing to feel regret at the inevitable picture of a goblin family being happy showers him in regret for attacking all of them.

jedipotter
2014-09-06, 06:27 PM
The locket has a tiny sketch of a human woman with long hair inside of it.

The Vagabond
2014-09-06, 08:36 PM
"Phssssssss. Question; What is she from? Why is she there... Think think think... Interspecies relationship? Should I... Nah, don't really know anything about people. Stolen? Plausibly... Think..."

May I use Knowledge; Dungeoneering to logic out if it was stolen or if there's a interracial love, attempting to figure out who it's from?
[roll0]

He shouted over to Bob, "Hey, can you see if he's capable of detecting magic?" he asked.

Oddman80
2014-09-06, 09:29 PM
Is there something off in yer head? The wizard be injured, not deaf! Bob hollers back to Johnson while helping Bartleby hobble over to the side of the road.

Setting Bartleby down against a tree, Bob calls back out to Johnson:
..And maybe you could try not ta be such a selfish arse o'er there! Runnin' away at the first sign o' blood, and ye have the nerve to rummage through all the bodies, taking e'erything fer yerself!?!? You think we be so distracted with yer wizard friend here, we would'na notice ye dumpin it all in yer magic bag??? Well I know I seen a hammer and a couple o' daggers that looked mighty fine. I hope it won't be too much'a hassle - fishin 'em back outta that sack of yers - and handin them over.

Bob continues muttering something unintelligible after that. Only the words "Tempus", "coward", and "quartered" can be made out... Turning back to Bartleby, Bob asks the wizard if there is anything else he can do to help right now.

The Vagabond
2014-09-06, 09:41 PM
Johnson looks sad, "Yeah, I'm sorry. I... I don't know, I'm new to adventuring. I saw a chance to have a adventure like I longed for, and I grabbed it... Didn't end up going well. First time really fighting. I'm a singer, not a fighter. And I just figured it would be easiest for me to carry it all."
He slid into his backpack, and idly pulled out all the daggers and hammers.

torrasque666
2014-09-06, 10:01 PM
"I would, but I didn't think I'd need that today. Just let me lay here for a few hours and I can if you want me to."

Oddman80
2014-09-06, 10:44 PM
Hearing Johnson's explanation for his behavior, Bob waves him off...
Alright. Alright. We're all new at this...

Bob takes the equipment being handed to him. Looking Johnson in the eye, he says:

So ye do not know me. Well, I'll tell ye a little something about me. I'm usually a pretty trusting fella. But all I know about ye, other than the fact that ye like to crack wise, is that ye ran away when the fightin' got close.

Now... ye came back - I'll give ye that. But ye still ran. So forgive me if I be a little hesitant, on this occasion to trust ye to hold our things for us... I am just not so sure you will be here when we need any of it.... I truly hope that, in the next days, ye will show me that my concern be unfounded.

Bob pats Johnson on his shoulder and starts heading over to Buttercup. On his way to his horse, Bob looks around and realizes Andrew hasn't been seen since the start of the fight.

ANDREW!!! YOU OUT THERE?

jedipotter
2014-09-06, 11:11 PM
Knowledge; Dungeoneering does not really help with identifying something like a locket. You can't really tell anything about it with this skill.

Snowbluff
2014-09-07, 12:18 AM
Andrew

"... No..."

Oddman80
2014-09-07, 07:24 AM
Bob 'humph's, upon hearing Andrew's reply. Upon reaching Buttercup, Bob unstraps her and leads her closer to where Bartleby, Johnson and Gogglestroph are, before tying her up again. He sets his backpack down and starts rifling through it, pulling his deer call out of his wilderness kit. Looking at Bartleby again, Bob says:

Well, if ye aren't in any condition to travel right now, I suppose we'll all be spending the night here. I'm gonna go see if I can catch us some food - yer body's gonna need it.

Gogglestroph, Andrew, either of ye interested in a little hunting? Johnson... I think ye should stay here... See if ye can boost this fella's morale, or something...

Snowbluff
2014-09-07, 07:44 AM
Andrew

Andrew steps up from the side of the road. "I could take a crack at hunting. Looking at this mess, I should learn to heal people, too."
Andrew will now be using Fade Into Darkness for the +5 hide from now on.

The Vagabond
2014-09-07, 07:56 AM
Johnson nodded in agreement, sitting down by the idle man.
"So. What's going on?"

I was hoping to use it as a sort of "Genre Savviness" skill, but I suppose it doesn't work that way.

Oddman80
2014-09-07, 01:41 PM
Bob checks the sun's position in the sky before heading north through the forrest. He counts 150 paces before stopping, turning around to face the direction he came from, and stabs the closest tree with one of his new daggers, so that it is pointing back towards the path.

Whispering to Andrew, he says:
It would be unfortunate if we couldna find our way back to the path, aye?

How 'bout if you walk 40 paces that way, Bob says pointing eastward
that way we don't be too close, be we can still see each other. This here, be a deer call. I'll blow it fer ye once now so you recognize the sound. I'm gonna blow on it once every minute or so. Keep an eye out for deer, and please don't hit me wit any of those there eye blasts you have... Ok?

Bob blows on the call once and nods to Andrew.

Not sure if Gogglestroph is came or not. If so, he would go 40 paces west of me, so we lined up parallel to the road

Also not sure which dice rolls you need from me, if any... But here are a few relevant ones:

Move Silently: [roll0]
Survival: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
Spot: [roll3]

ddude987
2014-09-07, 01:57 PM
Sure as shellfish I'll come hunting with ya. Gogglestorph dusts himself off, hefts his spear, and looks expectantly for orders as to which direction to head out in.

survival [roll0]
move silently [roll1]
hide [roll2]

jedipotter
2014-09-07, 11:30 PM
Neither Bob or Gogglestorph finds any food or water in the area. Though you can eat the tree bark, grass, and really any plant....if your hungry enough. There are also the goblin bodies....

Oddman80
2014-09-08, 09:07 AM
Bob would shudder at the thought of eating the goblins... He was once told that goblins are just humanoids that have partaken in goblin flesh. That being a goblin is just a self-inflicted curse brought on by one's own weakness... As previously mentioned - he is rather trusting and gullible... so he has spent years under the assumption that this is true.... that said - he definitely wouldn't be one to suggest that as a solution to their food problem... We have trail rations (or at least we all should); I just wanted to give Bartleby something more substantial to assist in his recovery.

That said - any chance my natural 20 spot roll would have allowed me to notice specific, edible plants/berries/etc., or any medicinal plants in the forrest that might speed up Bartleby's recovery?

One last thing - are you keeping track of XP for us (and will just let us know if/when level up occur?), or did you want us to track it ourselves... if the latter, how much XP for the goblin fight?

jedipotter
2014-09-08, 07:04 PM
XP Of course I'm keeping track of XP......why would would I not? I don't really have a 'set' time to give it out, and it's not like you only get XP for fights.....

BoB You spot some, bright red berries, growing around the base of a tree. They look like they might be Bretna Berries, that you have seen cleric use often enough.......somehow

Oddman80
2014-09-08, 07:41 PM
...but since you asked... Every DM I have ever had just announces the XP they are giving out as it is earned. But they do not keep track of totals - it is up to the players to keep track and to notify the DM about leveling up (benefits, of which, are not applied until the following game session-contingent on approval).

As I have never gamed with you before, and I hadn't remembered it being mentioned previously, the conclusion of the first fight seemed an appropriate time to ask.

After blowing on the deer call for a while, and seeing no deer approach, Bob decides to gather the berries he has found. Bob waves over to both Andrew and Gogglestroph, beckoning them to come back to him.

Snowbluff
2014-09-08, 10:45 PM
Andrew

"We aren't far from town, are we? Wouldn't it be easier to get help there?" He takes a sip of his mead.

Oddman80
2014-09-09, 12:27 PM
Aye, it might be easier to do so. I just fear that traveling any distance with the frail wizard might kill the young man, given his state. I noticed these berries o'er there, and I'm pretty sure these be Bretna Berries. There be cleric in town who uses them to help with his healings. I thought we might give it a go and see if they can help. 'Tis a real shame those wretched goblins all took aim at poor Bartleby...

Taking a moment to look at the direction the dagger had been pointing in the tree, Bob yanks it back out of the trunk and starts walking back to the road.

...We should do what's best for the wizard, that be true enough... even if it be a bit embarrassing to have to turn back so soon after setting out...

Bob walks in silence for a number of paces. About halfway back to the road, he says:
It would be wonderful if we had a wand of curing - or some such thing. Not sure if we can buy one of them in town or no... BAH! They probably be too expensive, anyway. I doubt that pile of weapons the bard pocketed would even be enough to make such a purchase... Moradin's Balls! Lets just give the wizard the berries and see if it solves our problem, aye?

So the danger of giving wild berries to Bartleby has not escaped me. I am just RP'ing that the embarrassment that would come with returning to town so soon, is so displeasing that is is bolstering Bob's confidence that he has found a solution.

That said, I am hoping the DM is not going to pull a "Ha! Ha! Ha! Those berries just looked like Brenta Berries - but they were really Ocus' Taint - the most poisonous berries known in the Forgotten Realms....Mwah Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!

torrasque666
2014-09-09, 12:31 PM
"Hueh. I can carry on. I'm not that close to death. Give me a few hours rest and I'll be right as rain. Kinda. We should keep moving."