Type

250 gp
1d8
1d10
20x2
100ft
70 lbs
Peircing

The Harpoon Gun looks like an oversized Crossbow. On one side, it has a massive crank, connected to a rope, connected to what almost looks like a javelin. If an enemy is hit with the Harpoon gun, they must make a Fortitude save (DC=10+Damage Dealt, +5 if masterwork. If it's magic, add enhancement bonus to DC) or have the Harpoon stuck in them. If the weilder has hooked the harpoon into the enemy, he can, as a standard action, reel the harpoon in. The two make opposing STR checks. If the weilder's STR check exceeds the enemy's, the enemy is pulled 5 feet closer to the weilder, and takes damage as if he's been hit by the Harpoon. For every 5 by which the weilder the weilder exceeds the enemy's check, the enemy is pulled another 5 feet.

FEATS SOON TO COME

WIP, PLEASE PEACH

redwizard007
2014-07-28, 09:22 PM
First, cool. I want one.

Second, PEACHing.

Damage as a 2H sword might be a bit high. Its not totally off the wall, just high for a piercing weapon especially one with range.

DC (DC=10+Damage Dealt+Enhancement Bonus+5 if Masterwork)
+5 for masterwork is certainly redundant with the bonus for enhancement. The rest of the DC seems solid.

The two make opposing STR checks. If the weilder's STR check exceeds the enemy's, the enemy is pulled 5 feet closer to the weilder, and takes damage as if he's been hit by the Harpoo. For every 5 by which the weilder the weilder exceeds the enemy's check, the enemy is pulled another 5 feet.

If nothing else you need to account for potential size differences. Does size matter?

What if the target (or shooter) is using an alternative method of movement? (Swimming, flying, burrowing, etc.)

Consider making it a trip attack perhaps with a bonus of damage dealt (or half damage dealt.)

What if you make the loser of the strength check the one moved?

Would you consider making it take damage OR get moved?

Is there a maximum range (or did you bring infinite rope, because that could be heavy...)

What else can you do while "reeling him in?" What kind of action is it?

How many hands to shoot? How bout to reel? To hold? What about when you have a guy hooked?

How long to reload?

Does your target have limits or penalties to his actions or movement when hooked?

Love the harpoon as a weapon but there are definite complications that need addressed before you hand this to a player.

Mousedigits
2014-07-28, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the PEACH!
Yeah, this is just something I thought & wrote up on the fly.

Damage as a 2H sword might be a bit high. Its not totally off the wall, just high for a piercing weapon especially one with range.
Hrrm, damage... How about 1d10 medium, 1d8 small?

+5 for masterwork is certainly redundant with the bonus for enhancement. The rest of the DC seems solid.
It is kinda redundant. I'll go ahead and polish up the wording.

If nothing else you need to account for potential size differences. Does size matter?
Yeah, size should matter.

What if the target (or shooter) is using an alternative method of movement? (Swimming, flying, burrowing, etc.)
As for movement, it shouldn't really matter how they're moving (except for burrowing, obvoiusly). However, it should impose some flying penalties...

Consider making it a trip attack perhaps with a bonus of damage dealt (or half damage dealt.)
I really don't think a trip would be appropriate. Maybe a ranged grapple attempt?

What if you make the loser of the strength check the one moved?
That makes sense.

Would you consider making it take damage OR get moved?
What if I made it "Move 5 feet, and for every 5 the weilder exceeds the enemy's check, he can decide to do damage or pull another 5 feet?"

Is there a maximum range (or did you bring infinite rope, because that could be heavy...)
The table has a range. 100ft.

What else can you do while "reeling him in?" What kind of action is it?
It's a standard action.

How many hands to shoot? How bout to reel? To hold? What about when you have a guy hooked?
Two hands all the time.

How long to reload?
I was thinking a full round, a move to reel it in and a standard to actually put it in place.

Does your target have limits or penalties to his actions or movement when hooked?
Hrrm, can's move out of the rope's range? And the weilder can "Lock" the rope as a free action, to limit the length of the rope?

redwizard007
2014-07-28, 11:02 PM
Cost
Damage (Small)
Damage (Medium)
Critical
Range
Weight
Type

250 gp
1d8
1d10
20x2
50ft (100ft max)
70 lbs
Peircing

The Harpoon Gun looks like an over sized Crossbow and requires two hands to use or carry in a readied manner. On one side, it has a massive crank, connected to a rope, connected to what almost looks like a javelin. If an enemy is hit with the Harpoon gun, they must make a Fortitude save (DC=10+Damage Dealt, +5 if masterwork. If it's magic, add enhancement bonus to DC) or have the Harpoon stuck in them. If the weilder has hooked the harpoon into the enemy, he can, as a standard action, reel the harpoon in. The two make opposing STR checks. Enemies larger than the wielder gain a +4 size bonus to this check for each size category of difference between them and an additional +4 if they have more than 2 legs and are using their legs for locomotion. If the wielder's STR check exceeds the enemy's, the enemy is pulled 5 feet closer to the weilder, and takes damage as if he's been hit by the Harpoon. For every 5 by which the wielder exceeds the enemy's check, the enemy is pulled another 5 feet. While hooked the enemy takes a -2 to attacks, skill checks based on dexterity or strength, reflex saving throws and armor class. In addition the enemy suffers an additional 1d10 damage if he moves further away from the wielder and may only move at half movement speed (and never further than the 100ft length of the trailing rope. Reloading the Harpoon Gun is a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. NOTE: The rope has a break DC of 23 and a hardness of 0 with 2 hp. If the rope is cut or broken then the enemy is no longer subject to being reeled in and takes no further penalties.

redwizard007
2014-07-28, 11:06 PM
I had completely forgotten hardness, hp, break DC. They go a long way to nerfing this. The damage could scale back up. And this was going to be an exotic weapon right?

Mousedigits
2014-07-28, 11:40 PM
Thanks, for that. I like it. May need a few tweaks, though. I'll think on it tonight.

spikeof2010
2014-07-29, 01:33 PM
Do goblins get this as a racial weapon now?

Debihuman
2014-07-29, 02:40 PM
How much weight can a goblin carry? The harpoon gun weighs 70 lbs. A goblin is Small with Str 11 (small creatures have 3/4 the carrying capacity of Medium creatures) so it can carry a maximum heavy load of 80 lbs.

This is probably a poor choice of weapon for a goblin.

Debby

redwizard007
2014-07-29, 04:52 PM
Why would goblins have anything to do with this? did i miss something?

spikeof2010
2014-08-01, 09:53 AM
Damn.
In a game called Terraria, Goblins dropped harpoon guns.