PDA

View Full Version : Best D&D miniatures game to start someone on

GrinningDemon
2014-07-28, 11:43 PM
Hi, my family and I play a lot of games. When my daughter goes to bed usually the adults start playing D&D but lately she seems more interested in D&D. I want to try her on the game but I think it has to be the miniatures so she can physically see things, she's 6 almost 7 btw. Since I myself have never tried any of the miniatures games (the complete box sets) do you guys have any recommendations?

Erasmas
2014-07-29, 10:39 AM
If you can track it down... HeroQuest is an excellent "intro" to D&D. The rules are highly simplified while still getting most of the basic concepts across, and there are miniatures for the characters, monsters, doors, and furniture. Plus, it is also a lot of fun. The only problem is that it has been out of print for around two decades or so.

What I have done with my son (who is almost 6) is just make a very simple set of stats and "rules", lay out a series of map tiles, get miniatures out, and roll dice. I just try and implement the ideas of taking turns, limited movement on the board, basic math in adding bonuses to die rolls, and things like that.

Bacchanalian
2014-07-29, 02:10 PM
If you can track it down... HeroQuest is an excellent "intro" to D&D. The rules are highly simplified while still getting most of the basic concepts across, and there are miniatures for the characters, monsters, doors, and furniture. Plus, it is also a lot of fun. The only problem is that it has been out of print for around two decades or so.

What I have done with my son (who is almost 6) is just make a very simple set of stats and "rules", lay out a series of map tiles, get miniatures out, and roll dice. I just try and implement the ideas of taking turns, limited movement on the board, basic math in adding bonuses to die rolls, and things like that.

That's what it was called! I was just talking about that game to my wife the other night, but I couldn't remember the name. Hero Quest is what eventually got me into D&D!

Slylizard
2014-07-29, 10:15 PM
There's a similar sort of game out these days by the name of 'Descent: Journeys in the Dark'. It's designed to be a DM vs Players game, but as the DM (or Overlord as they call it) you could easily hold back.

Shinken
2014-08-01, 05:15 AM
I'm a big fan of Legend of Drizzt. It's part of the D&D Adventure System along with Wrath of Ashardalon and Castle Ravenloft. They are also compatible with the Dungeon Command games. I bought them initially as a source of cheap miniatures, but the games are extremely fun. My 4e group became an Adventure System group, even.