PDA

View Full Version : Player Help using squirrels and rats to harbor necrotic cysts to use as squirrel bombs?

Agamemmnoth
2014-07-28, 11:58 PM
in order to get around the horrible will save for necrotic cyst so I can use Necrotic Eruption I'm wanting to know if its possible to infect several rodents and use them as necrotic bombs if you will. For example, say I infected several squirrels with a necrotic cyst and I bagged them for later. Is it possible to chuck one at the enemy and have it erupt using necrotic eruption? could I let it lose and have it erupt when near the enemy. Is there away to make that work at all?

thedmring
2014-07-29, 12:05 AM
no

any other questions?

adriana
2014-07-29, 12:08 AM
in order to get around the horrible will save for necrotic cyst so I can use Necrotic Eruption I'm wanting to know if its possible to infect several rodents and use them as necrotic bombs if you will. For example, say I infected several squirrels with a necrotic cyst and I bagged them for later. Is it possible to chuck one at the enemy and have it erupt using necrotic eruption? could I let it lose and have it erupt when near the enemy. Is there away to make that work at all?

you sir are an evil, evil man:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

eggynack
2014-07-29, 12:21 AM
I don't see anything stopping it from working in particular, especially because you don't rely on the rat failing the save to explode with full effect. It's probably not the most efficient or optimal way to use a 6th level spell, but it's cool at least.

Agamemmnoth
2014-07-29, 12:27 AM
I don't see anything stopping it from working in particular, especially because you don't rely on the rat failing the save to explode with full effect. It's probably not the most efficient or optimal way to use a 6th level spell, but it's cool at least.

I take it your not a fan of the necrotic line? :smallbiggrin:

Any rate in combat how would that work? Would the throwing of said bag be a move action or a standard action?

Any better way to get it to work? it's easy to pass a second level spells fort save. so it's hard to get the necrotic line to really work.

eggynack
2014-07-29, 12:29 AM
I take it your not a fan of the necrotic line? :smallbiggrin:
I dunno. It just feels a lot like you're casting a marginally more interesting 6th level fireball. That's just not particularly interesting to me.

adriana
2014-07-29, 12:34 AM
I dunno. It just feels a lot like you're casting a marginally more interesting 6th level fireball. That's just not particularly interesting to me.

from a game play perspective I agree. From a flavor perspective it screams win to me. It's decent aoe if your a cleric.

Agamemmnoth
2014-07-29, 12:36 AM

Would throwing the rats be a standard or move action? I mean what would you do make a ranged touch attack to throw the rats then make them go boom?

Vhaidara
2014-07-29, 12:39 AM
It would be a standard action to throw the rats, and a jerkish GM might make you take the Rock Hurling->Fling Ally->Fling Enemy feat chain to do it.

Although, here's something to consider: infest a building with rats, all of which have cysts in them. Bomb the building with necrotic explosions.

There should totally be a version of Necrotic Eruption that causes anyone damaged by it that also has a cyst in them to make a save or be Necrotic Erupted.

eggynack
2014-07-29, 12:39 AM
from a game play perspective I agree. From a flavor perspective it screams win to me. It's decent aoe if your a cleric.
Sounds about right, though I'd prefer a more useful side effect. Boreal wind is a much more interesting blast for my money, maybe even on a not-druid.

adriana
2014-07-29, 12:53 AM
Sounds about right, though I'd prefer a more useful side effect. Boreal wind is a much more interesting blast for my money, maybe even on a not-druid.

Yeah that is a good spell to use. BFC and damage in one round. Our druid loves it.

There should totally be a version of Necrotic Eruption that causes anyone damaged by it that also has a cyst in them to make a save or be Necrotic Erupted.

I TOTALLY agree with this. Imagine a bag of with say 10 rats and you caused them to explode all at the same time. that is a ton of damage. About 900 max I think.

Vhaidara
2014-07-29, 12:54 AM
I TOTALLY agree with this. Imagine a bag of with say 10 rats and you caused them to explode all at the same time. that is a ton of damage. About 900 max I think.

Oh, no, not as a nuke like that. I'm talking more as a carpet bomb. Let the rats loose in an enemy camp, let them spread out, and then nuke it from orbit with flesh bombs.

adriana
2014-07-29, 12:57 AM
Oh, no, not as a nuke like that. I'm talking more as a carpet bomb. Let the rats loose in an enemy camp, let them spread out, and then nuke it from orbit with flesh bombs.

that too would be an awesome sight to behold.

gorfnab
2014-07-29, 12:58 AM
Yet another possible use for the Chicken Infested flaw.

adriana
2014-07-29, 12:59 AM
Yet another possible use for the Chicken Infested flaw.

Edit:
NVM I found the thread explaining the chicken flaw. Infinite chickens is full of win. :smallbiggrin:

gorfnab
2014-07-29, 01:11 AM
chicken infested flaw?
Dragon Magazine #330

Chicken Infested
You've got chickens
Effect: Whenever you draw a weapon, or pull an item out of a container, you have a 50% chance of drawing a live chicken instead. No, we don't know where the chickens come from, its your character.

Silva Stormrage
2014-07-29, 02:47 AM
Try chaining the necrotic eruption spell to detonate a ton of rats at once. You could get some massive damage with that.

Brookshw
2014-07-29, 06:23 AM
you sir are an evil, evil man:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

You think that's evil? One of my players wanted to do it with orphans.....

adriana
2014-07-29, 06:25 AM
You think that's evil? One of my players wanted to do it with orphans.....

That is pretty evil O.o.

Segev
2014-07-29, 06:53 AM
The reason why this is so much fun is that the Necrotic Eruption causes anybody who is damaged by it to have to make a Fort. save or be infected with a Necrotic Cyst. Note that, as a 6th level spell, it has a DC of 16+stat mod, rather than Necrotic Cyst's 12+stat mod. Furthermore, your rats become valid Scrying targets for Necrotic Scrying, letting you scout out a building with them. Necrotic Tumor can be cast during your off time to give you absolute control over them, as well (though not telepathic control, so you'll need to have a means of making sure they can hear you).

I designed a villain recently who kidnapped people by infecting them with Cysts and forcing them to come with him via Necrotic Tumor. When the heroes came to rescue them, the victims pleaded for help and came up to the heroes to thank them for coming and beg for protection...and then were detonated.

adriana
2014-07-29, 07:02 AM
The reason why this is so much fun is that the Necrotic Eruption causes anybody who is damaged by it to have to make a Fort. save or be infected with a Necrotic Cyst. Note that, as a 6th level spell, it has a DC of 16+stat mod, rather than Necrotic Cyst's 12+stat mod. Furthermore, your rats become valid Scrying targets for Necrotic Scrying, letting you scout out a building with them. Necrotic Tumor can be cast during your off time to give you absolute control over them, as well (though not telepathic control, so you'll need to have a means of making sure they can hear you).

I designed a villain recently who kidnapped people by infecting them with Cysts and forcing them to come with him via Necrotic Tumor. When the heroes came to rescue them, the victims pleaded for help and came up to the heroes to thank them for coming and beg for protection...and then were detonated.

yeah the necrotic line is tons of fun if used in creative ways.

Darrin
2014-07-29, 07:15 AM
Hmm. Needs more fatal flame (Complete Scoundrel). Or death throes (Spell Compendium) if you can manage it.

animewatcha
2014-07-29, 12:20 PM
And the nemesis to Squirrel Girl is....

Dalebert
2014-07-29, 12:32 PM
My players are about to enter a vermin/rat-themed dungeon (wererats including a troll wererat, giant dire rats, ratfolk, cave-fishers, gross disease stuph, etc.) You totally just inspired me with the idea of using rats infected with huge pus sores as disease-inflicting slings (you can whip them around by their tails and release them just like using a sling).

Agamemmnoth
2014-07-29, 05:45 PM
My players are about to enter a vermin/rat-themed dungeon (wererats including a troll wererat, giant dire rats, ratfolk, cave-fishers, gross disease stuph, etc.) You totally just inspired me with the idea of using rats infected with huge pus sores as disease-inflicting slings (you can whip them around by their tails and release them just like using a sling).

glad I could inspire someone.