PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Is this a good idea?/Literally making Creepypasta

Doorhandle
2014-07-29, 02:46 AM
I have an idea for a puzzle/dungeon feature/weird thing but I'd like to go over it with the playground beforehand.

It's located in the Blighted forest: a once-healthy area that was burnt to a crisp by fellfire and is now filled with flaming undead of various flavors. It's meant to be a pretty horrifying area so I reckon this will fit.

they'll come across a dragon’s skull sitting in a tree: and on each of the tree's branches it’s branches is an impaled body. The dragon’s voice booms out: "THE WEAK MUST FEED UPON THE STRONG. FIND WHAT IS WORTHY TO FEAST UPON."

Now here's the problem: I'm placing to make the bodies those of various creepypasta 'protagonists' (such as slenderman, Jeff the killer, SCP-176, ect) and give them various boons/banes depending on weather they eat the correct body part or not. Would a grove filled with the impaled bodies of various obscure references ruin immersion, and what sort of bodies should replace them if so?

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-29, 02:54 AM
I feel like if your players are on board with eating some random bodies they found in a tree because a dragon skull told them so, and they actually still have immersion instead of just going with it because it's a beer and pretzels game, then it's going to take a lot more than a few obscure references to break it.

'Sides, it sounds like knowing their identity is going to be integral to the puzzle anyway. Just leave it subtle and let the players figure it out. Maybe make a creepy mystery out of just what the hell was strong and scary enough to kill these things in the first place.

...Mind you, if it's The Villager from Animal Crossing you deserve whatever pillows get thrown at you. :smallamused:

Sith_Happens
2014-07-29, 03:04 AM
I don't see how pasta factors into this at all.:smallconfused: You did say "Literally making creepy[ ]pasta. :P

Segev
2014-07-29, 10:37 AM
I don't see how pasta factors into this at all.:smallconfused: You did say "Literally making creepy[ ]pasta. :P

Yeah, out of the body part they pick! Do you REALLY want to know what's in the noodles and meatballs?

Tengu_temp
2014-07-29, 02:47 PM
References are not scary. References to Slenderman, doubly so. As the idea is right now, the setup is vaguely creepy, but the whole atmosphere vanishes when the players realize what those creatures are, and that it's just a test of their creepypasta knowledge.

So no, I don't think it's a good idea.

Diachronos
2014-07-30, 12:42 AM
I kinda stopped trying to think of how to work this when you mentioned SCP-173 (you said 176, but I'm assuming you meant 173 because SCP-176 is an abandoned chemical plant). How in the world is the party going to eat concrete and rebar?

Sith_Happens
2014-07-30, 01:28 AM
I kinda stopped trying to think of how to work this when you mentioned SCP-173 (you said 176, but I'm assuming you meant 173 because SCP-176 is an abandoned chemical plant). How in the world is the party going to eat concrete and rebar?

With hard work and determination.

Doorhandle
2014-07-30, 06:18 AM
With hard work and determination.

That's the spirit!

Although I am rethinking this.

PersonMan
2014-08-02, 10:07 AM

Personally, the image of a bunch of impaled corpses on a tree being overshadowed by a massive complex of buildings somehow also hanging from the tree is more immediate than "how will they eat it".