PDA

View Full Version : Mad Max remake!

Killer Angel
2014-07-29, 05:52 AM
Apparently, no one has posted it yet...

Trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akX3Is3qBpw)

(well, I'm not sure if it's more a remake or a reboot)

Anyway: thoughts, expectations?

Fragenstein
2014-07-29, 07:05 AM
Whoa, I totally called this over a year ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=13601321&postcount=1). I guess Vin Diesel has been too busy being a tree to get in on it, though.

I seem to only know Tom Hardy from Layer Cake and Rock'n Rolla'. Even there it's only Handsome Bob who sticks out in my mind. A bit. I really liked both, I just don't seem to remember him very well.

Hopefully it works out great. I'm really looking forward to the first parody of 'Furry Road'.

Pronounceable
2014-07-29, 07:12 AM
Yeey, more remakes. It's not like something new could be made, it's over. We've reached year 2014 and everything's already been made.

:smallsigh:

Fragenstein
2014-07-29, 07:44 AM
Yeey, more remakes. It's not like something new could be made, it's over. We've reached year 2014 and everything's already been made.

:smallsigh:

What if it's just another episode in the franchise, though? Max's world still had a lot of stories to tell. Not many people complain about how many James Bond or Star Trek movies have been made.

A remake would put him back on the police force during the breakdown of society. No Ford Falcon, but the new interceptors would look sweet in the role anyway. And I'm not just saying that as a Taurus owner...

Maelstrom
2014-07-29, 01:12 PM
It's not a remake -- it's the 4th film in the series, and written/directed by George Miller, the maker of the originals... So goody :)

Scowling Dragon
2014-07-29, 01:49 PM
Why? By the 3rd movie the world was beyond punks in cars racing for oil. It was a nuclear apocalypse and people were struggling for even basic ethanol fuel from a tractor.

Why are we back at the "Racing punks" stage again?

TheThan
2014-07-29, 02:09 PM
Well I’m jaded enough to set my expectations really low, but since it’s the original creator, maybe it’ll actually be good and I’ll be pleasantly surprised. But then again, maybe I just can’t get beyond thunderdome .

Fragenstein
2014-07-29, 02:21 PM
Why? By the 3rd movie the world was beyond punks in cars racing for oil. It was a nuclear apocalypse and people were struggling for even basic ethanol fuel from a tractor.

Why are we back at the "Racing punks" stage again?

Because Fury Road apparently takes place between Mad Max and The Road Warrior. Which means he is back in the 'last of the V8 Interceptors'. So no Taurus for me. They're maintaining continuity.

Killer Angel
2014-07-29, 02:22 PM
It's not a remake -- it's the 4th film in the series, and written/directed by George Miller, the maker of the originals... So goody :)

Really?
Certain scenes remind me of the second one (the chase for the tanker).

Fragenstein
2014-07-29, 02:29 PM
Really?
Certain scenes remind me of the second one (the chase for the tanker).

I would expect that. Even the first film had criminals pirating the highways. The second seemed to portray people with a lot of experience either attacking or defending tankers. I'm betting it happened a lot.

Plus there are claims of a fifth movie (Furiosa), being filmed as well.

Winthur
2014-07-29, 11:45 PM
I seem to only know Tom Hardy from Layer Cake and Rock'n Rolla'.

He's also a big guy.

Bhu
2014-07-30, 01:06 AM
Whoa, I totally called this over a year ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=13601321&postcount=1). I guess Vin Diesel has been too busy being a tree to get in on it, though.

I seem to only know Tom Hardy from Layer Cake and Rock'n Rolla'. Even there it's only Handsome Bob who sticks out in my mind. A bit. I really liked both, I just don't seem to remember him very well.

Hopefully it works out great. I'm really looking forward to the first parody of 'Furry Road'.

He also played Bane in the Dark Knight rises and starred in Bronson, Inception, Warrior, Tinker Tailor Soldier SPy, Sucker Punch, etc

It's good to see a trailer, teh constant production delays were worrying.

Fragenstein
2014-07-30, 07:30 AM
He also played Bane in the Dark Knight rises and starred in Bronson, Inception, Warrior, Tinker Tailor Soldier SPy, Sucker Punch, etc

Oh, there's no way I'd recognize him as Bane. I simply was not able to pay enough attention to that movie to remember much of anything. Even more so for Inception.

I checked his IMDB credits. That's the only way I'd known he was in either of the movies I'd mentioned. He seems to be one of those character actors who manages to fly just below my radar (really, I'm completely incompetent at Six Degress of anything). I should check to see if Netflix has the 2008 Sucker Punch. It looks good.

Bhu
2014-07-30, 04:55 PM
Sucker Punch is kind of a love it or hate it movie. The director didn't quite succeed n what he was going for.

Reddish Mage
2014-07-31, 08:53 AM
Sucker Punch is kind of a love it or hate it movie. The director didn't quite succeed n what he was going for.

I don't know, it's more of an eh? For me.

Nice action sequences, don't add up to anything.

JoshL
2014-07-31, 10:36 AM
If you're watching for Hardy, watch Bronson first. He's amazing in that. And maybe give Batman another look...regardless of what else is good or bad about that film, his Bane is fantastic.

Sucker Punch is a movie I love, but I can understand lots of reasons why other people do not. It's a smarter movie than it gets credit for, mostly because it's designed to come across as a very superficial movie. But it's one I like to discuss, so babble spoilered:

It's a fantasy exploitation film that explores the nature of an exploitation film. It's about a woman disassociating due to trauma and abuse. Literally being exploited. The film says to the audience "do you like this kind of action film? I do too! But let's take a moment to consider the deeper implications of it".

The movie I would compare it most to would be Brazil (one of my all time favorites). I think some weaknesses in the acting are mostly what keeps Sucker Punch from being quite as good of a movie. But what makes it a tough film for people to love, is it doesn't present itself like that type of movie. Despite the hint right there in the title, you go in expecting a fun, anime/video game influenced action movie, and while that's certainly in there, it's not the core of the film. It's also very trigger-y. From the trailers, you wouldn't expect a movie about rape, and I know a lot of people who weren't prepared for it. Some even thought it was a good movie that they never ever want to see again (understandable conclusion there).

Not everyone (hell, I'd venture not MOST people) like movies where very little of it is "real", but Sucker Punch is a good example of what you see being a metaphor through dissociation of what is actually happening during the narrative of the film. Again, not everyone's cup of tea, and we're spoiled by years of "it was only a dream" being used as a cop-out ending. It's not automatically a bad thing, but I know why people sometimes feel that way.

To compare and contrast, Inception was mentioned, and that's a movie that comes across as being very intellectual, but really it's just a heist movie. It is smart for it's genre (and I do enjoy it), but it's not a particularly deep movie.Anyway, I love the movie and I understand why people don't. But if you're looking to see what Tom Hardy can do, acting-wise, it's not really a good place to start. Very excited about the new Mad Max though!

Fragenstein
2014-07-31, 11:00 AM
Anyway, I love the movie and I understand why people don't. But if you're looking to see what Tom Hardy can do, acting-wise, it's not really a good place to start. Very excited about the new Mad Max though!

Now hold on. The 2008 film titled Sucker Punch that Tom Hardy was in (as a character named Rodders), is entirely different from the 2011 film also titled Sucker Punch. The 2011 is the exploitation piece with imaginative visuals and a great soundtrack.

Well, in my opinion, anyway. I also loved that film despite not being a big fan of surrealism. I just put it into the same category as both Heavy Metal films and I was fine.

But the 2008 title is about illegal boxing and seems to have more in common with Snatch than anything else. That's the one I still need to locate and watch.

JoshL
2014-07-31, 11:08 AM
Oh, right! My mistake! Obviously I just love that movie and love talking about it :smallwink:

Bhu
2014-07-31, 01:45 PM
If you're watching for Hardy, watch Bronson first. He's amazing in that. And maybe give Batman another look...regardless of what else is good or bad about that film, his Bane is fantastic.

Sucker Punch is a movie I love, but I can understand lots of reasons why other people do not. It's a smarter movie than it gets credit for, mostly because it's designed to come across as a very superficial movie. But it's one I like to discuss, so babble spoilered:

When I went to see it in theaters there were literally dozens of moms with their kids. Dozens of very, veeeeery uncomfortable moms. i can only imagine that made for some damn awkward conversations going home.

Killer Angel
2014-08-02, 07:07 AM
Sucker Punch is a movie I love, but I can understand lots of reasons why other people do not. It's a smarter movie than it gets credit for, mostly because it's designed to come across as a very superficial movie.

I have the feeling that you're giving too much credit to Zack Snyder...
(some of the "hidden meanings" you can see in the movie, were probably unintentional)

Irk
2014-08-03, 09:07 PM
I have the feeling that you're giving too much credit to Zack Snyder...
(some of the "hidden meanings" you can see in the movie, were probably unintentional)
See, I like Sucker Punch, but looking at some of the other stuff Snyder has done, I think that this is possible. Whether or not he did it by accident, it still works, some of the best things were created by accident. Like Rubber! Everyone loves rubber!
I was actually looking forwards to the non-fantasy scenes, which I agree are in line with what JoshL described.

As for the Fury Road, I'm quite excited, the thrown together look is among my favorite aesthetics, so I might cosplay as a character from this film.