PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Maximize Climb

MrBright01
2014-07-29, 07:01 AM
I am playing a Pathfinder Grippli Rogue, at 3rd level, and I am trying to hit the +20 needed to climb on ceilings. The DM is ok, and even amused, with this

Sofar, I have, and assume I cannot stack with the same bonuses, the following:
-1 Str (Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... but not much choice there)
+3 Ranks
+3 Class Skill bonus
+8 Racial from having a Climb speed, which also allows me to take 10 even under pressure.
+2 Masterwork Tool this is enchanted with...
+2 Competency bonus.

8+3+3+2+2-1 = +17, I need +20 to ceiling climb with a take 10.

So, anyone know anything I can do to bump it up, aside from skill focus or other skill feat, which is my last resort? Traits or additional bonus types or whatnot?

the clumsy bard
2014-07-29, 07:41 AM
Size Any creature of Tiny or smaller size should use its Dex modifier instead of its Str modifier for Climb and Swim checks.

That is taken from the Pathfinder SRD regarding the Climb Skill, so if you can have reduce person cast on you, you will receive your dexterity instead of Strength to Climbing.

Otherwise if the character is not made yet try the young template. It reduces your size to one smaller.

In terms of traits there is

Child of the Moon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/child-of-the-moon-magic) minimum +1 to Climb

Seasoned Climber (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/seasoned-climber-the-wall-of-heaven) +1 and it is then a class skill

Cliff Jumper (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/cliff-jumper) +1 acrobatics and climb and you get a bonus to reflex saves for not falling.

There are a few more. You can find them by doing a search on the SRD easily.

My 2 cents

NightbringerGGZ
2014-07-29, 07:59 AM
If you haven't picked Traits yet, I would grab Cliff Jumper as it's a great trait for what you want to do. If you have a decent Wisdom, picking up Wisdom in the Flesh would let you use your Wisdom Modifier in place of your Strength Modifier on any one Strength, Constitution or Dexterity based skill.

A Ring of Climbing grants a +5 Competence Bonus for 2500 gold. That doesn't stack with the enchantment on your tools though.

You can always pick up Skill Focus as well.

Segev
2014-07-29, 09:16 AM
Yeah, is this a new PC that you haven't started playing yet, or an ongoing one you're trying to get to +20 as fast as possible?

What are his stats?

How much money does he have to burn?

Can you take any other classes to splash? A familiar might exist that gives a +3 to Climb, and it might be able to Aid Another on a Climb check for another +2.

the clumsy bard
2014-07-29, 09:23 AM
Yeah, is this a new PC that you haven't started playing yet, or an ongoing one you're trying to get to +20 as fast as possible?

What are his stats?

How much money does he have to burn?

Can you take any other classes to splash? A familiar might exist that gives a +3 to Climb, and it might be able to Aid Another on a Climb check for another +2.

If you don't want to switch classes there is always the carnivalist (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/carnivalist) archetype for the rogue. It will allow you to grab a familiar without changing classes, although it switches other parts of the rogue that you might not like.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-07-29, 04:26 PM
If you don't want to switch classes there is always the carnivalist (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/carnivalist) archetype for the rogue. It will allow you to grab a familiar without changing classes, although it switches other parts of the rogue that you might not like.

If he's already level 3 then he can't start the archetype since it has abilities traded out at levels 1 & 2. The retraining costs would be prohibitive right now. A one level dip into a class that gives him a Familiar could work out quite well though. The Lizard familiar gives you +3 to climb checks. One level of Wizard and maybe go into Arcane Trickster? That could make for a fun build, especially with the wall climbing.

khachaturian
2014-07-29, 05:13 PM
or the eldritch heritage feat can let you pick up a familiar

StreamOfTheSky
2014-07-29, 05:18 PM
If you have a decent wisdom, this can give a good bonus. It also provides other benefits for climbing:

Monkey Moves (Combat)

You scramble around your foes, moving and striking in an erratic fashion.

Prerequisites: Wis 13, Improved Unarmed Strike, Monkey Style, Acrobatics 8 ranks, Climb 8 ranks.

Benefit: While using Monkey Style, you gain a Wisdom bonus on Climb checks. You can also can climb and crawl at half your speed; you can take a 5-foot step by jumping, crawling, or climbing; and you retain your Dexterity bonus to AC while climbing. Further, while using Monkey Style, when you use your unarmed strike to hit an opponent twice or more on your turn, you can spend a swift action to take a 5-foot step even if you have moved this round.

Normal: You climb at one-quarter your speed, and you lose your Dexterity bonus to AC while doing so. A 5-foot step is made using your normal movement modes, and you can take one only if you have not otherwise moved this round.

The base style feat, Monkey Style, is also decent.

Monkey Style (Combat, Style)

Your unarmed fighting style is nimble and unpredictable, full of ground rolls and short leaps.

Prerequisites: Wis 13, Improved Unarmed Strike, Acrobatics 5 ranks, Climb 5 ranks.

Benefit: You add your Wisdom bonus on Acrobatics checks. While using this style, you take no penalty on melee attack rolls or to AC while prone. Further, you can crawl and stand up from lying prone without provoking attacks of opportunity, and you can stand up as a swift action if you succeed at a DC 20 Acrobatics check.

Normal: You take a –4 penalty on attack rolls and AC against melee attacks while prone. Standing up is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

And yeah, Wisdom in the Flesh trait would be good with these feats. Replace that str penalty and get your (now important and thus high) wisdom added to Climb...twice. Now, wis is not that great a stat for rogues, if this is an already in-play character.

EDIT: How could I forget Synthesist Summoner? It's the answer to just about any martial need. It can just straight out give you a fast climb speed, and you can take the Skilled Evolution for a whopping +8 racial bonus (note: in PF, racial bonuses stack, if you also have one from your base race). It only costs 1 evolution point is is available right from level 1. Synth would also replace your Str score with a 14 or 16 (depending on base form). Just saying...

Slipperychicken
2014-07-29, 08:03 PM
-1 Str (Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... but not much choice there)

Is this just the racial modifier, or is the character's strength actually 8? If it's the former, you can just put in points to get your strength up to 14.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-07-29, 10:21 PM
Take a single level of Aegis, and take the Adhesive Feet customization. +4 to climb checks.

...Or, y'know, take the Climb customization, and get a climb speed equal to half your base land speed.

Whatever tickles your fancy.

EDIT - Wait, do climb speed additions stack? Two bonuses, but difference sources (racial, class ability) so they should stack, right? If not in increased speed, then at the very least the two +8 modifiers. Hmm...

Segev
2014-07-29, 11:18 PM
No, the modifier is for having a climb speed. This is a binary condition: you have one or you do not. Having two doesn't provide benefits above and beyond what having one provides.

avr
2014-07-30, 01:06 AM
It was mentioned in passing above, but you asked for a trait and I'm betting this one alone would do the trick: wisdom in the flesh. (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/TraitDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Wisdom%20in%20the%20Fle sh)

MrBright01
2014-07-30, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the good advice. I am going to talk to the DM about Wisdom in the Flesh, see if he'll let that slide (he's like me, fluff is generally breakable as long as the game is not broken). If that works, it'll give me a small bonus and negate the terrible strength penalty, which is enough to put me over the top with a small amount of point buy kerjiggering.