PDA

View Full Version : Mind and Steel IC

Flinn_Furious
2014-07-29, 08:59 AM
Four stalwart individuals are standing side-by-side, looking down at the remnants of their childhood home. The roof, made of cheap wood and often repaired, is all that truly remained. Every orphan, resident, and worker had died in the blaze. With the Event happening so soon before hand, even news of a burning orphanage had barely made it out the city. What's more, the guard had barely made a perfunctory investigative effort, especially since the neighborhood, once part of the residential Westgate, now lay mostly in the poor Puddles district.

Apparently someone at least had the decency to remove the bodies, but a careful eye could still make out small remnants of what had once been living people. Each building to the side lay relatively unharmed, with only scorch marks to show that the fire had even happened. In a week nothing would be left, as beggars took the wood and what little tide came in from the Puddles cleared the rest.

ChaosArchon
2014-07-30, 12:09 AM
A tall blonde man stands before the wreckage, his green cloak blowing in the wind as he surveys the devastation. If anyone was looking into his sapphire blue eyes, they would be able to clearly see the internal sadness such a sight has brought to him, nevertheless he doesn't let this despair take shape, otherwise he might never move from this spot."Damnit," Jellal thinks, "I was hoping to ask the office about any paperwork connected to my arrival here... looks like that chance has passed."

As he absent-mindedly swirls his revolver as he begins to walk into what was once the entrance hall of the orphanage. He could remember it like it was yesterday, he was just a kid back then, and still nearly catatonic after seeing his mother executed by some sanctimonious racist prick who thought he was the Law. The journey to the orphanage had been a blur, mainly because he had wept for most of the way, but once he arrived at the orphanage, a nice elven girl named Erza had asked him why he was crying. He was amazed someone wanted to talk to him, as in the village his only friend had been his mother, as the other villagers didn't want their children playing with a dangerous werewolf half-breed. It was that day so many years ago he had made his first friend...

bcool999
2014-07-30, 12:53 AM
Jaycen

Jaycen stares at the wreckage of the orphanage, eyes forlorn and filled with self reproach and tears. ::I should have been here.:: Jaycen communicates telepathically with his psicrystal, a curious stone that resides in Jaycen's pocket. ::I could have saved them if I had never left.::

::You can't blame yourself for that.:: His psicrystal replies. ::Really, it is the people who let this happen who should be to blame. How could no one notice and help?::

Jaycen thinks about that for a moment before saying aloud, "Was this... really an accident?..."

Tiny
2014-07-30, 04:22 PM
Jericho

His face partialy hidden by the brownish grey hood of his robes Jericho watched in silence as the blond man rummages through the ruins. He felt a tinge of bitter sadness as he would now never see that fireplace he had so often stared into as a small child. It was gone. Everything before the monestary was gone. Nothing but ashes remained. Perhaps this was a sign from the lord of hellfire himself, but.. Something did not feel right about it. The timing is too convinient.. Perhaps a desperate rush to cover up evidence. Did anyone except his superiors know he was coming? Another observer gave voice to his own thoughts.

Turning towards the man Jericho replied with a voice like gravel. "My gut tells me that there seldom are any accidents devoid of a perpetrator. The fact that not a single person escaped the blaze adds fuel to the fires of suspicion."

A moments silence.

"That the blond man has a connection to this place is obvious from his actions and you seem rather taken by the scene yourself. Why does this burned ruin invoke such a response? Did you loose someone in the flames?"

bcool999
2014-07-30, 04:59 PM
Jaycen

Somewhat angered by the robed man's somewhat cold response, Jaycen answers, "Who wouldn't feel sadness at a place that was your home? A place that now marks where everyone you knew and cared for died in flames?"

Turning back to the wreckage, Jaycen continues speaking to no one in particular, "I left four years ago to become a doctor. To help people who couldn't afford care like the orphans who died here. Now look at me, wearing a doctors outfit, armed with a doctors tools and knowledge, only to face the one disease that can't be treated with normal medicine."

Jaycen then stares at the ground, wallowing in self-pity for a moment, before looking back at the robed man, "If someone is responsible for this... I will show them that what a doctor can heal, he can also break, over and over again..."

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-31, 02:01 PM
Anezia

Everyone reacts to tragedy differently, Anezia observes silently.

They were Rivven's words, spoken at some funeral or another; was it terrible that she couldn't remember whose it was? When did it become morally acceptable to forget the dead?

Certainly not this quickly, she adds in answer. The city had more lawmen than it knew what to do with, but they were too busy hunting down outsiders to worry about... well, outsiders.

Children burnt alive, and if they'd spoken to the matron sooner... She'd been so angry, and sick with grief, and Rivven... hadn't. Not a single tear, that man. She hadn't been back home since she'd stormed out, and somehow she'd wound up here.

Everyone reacts to tragedy differently. Looking for answers was a start.

Taking a deep breath, she sets off into the rubble, following the blonde man's example, gravel and cinders crunching under her heel. Leaning her head to one side, she pulls her hair aside, revealing a plain blue tattoo of a sprite–which pulls herself off of Anezia's skin and floats off of her shoulder with a stretch and a yawn, glowing pale blue.

"Lorelei, dearest, take a look around and see what you can find." She glances back at the pair briefly, wafting her fingers through the air and whispering an incantation. "The lawman and the doctor are right, this doesn't feel like an accident. Whisper me as soon as you find anything."

As the diminuitive sprite flits off across the rubble, Anezia begins her own search for answers.

Anezia cast Message (www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/message) on everyone, Lorelei included, in case surreptitious whispers are required; we all seem to be here for the same reason, even if we don't directly know one another, so it seems a reasonable precaution. She probably does this on most any job, come to think of it. There's no saving throw, so I don't think it's overtly noticeable, but the Spellcraft is DC 15 to identify the spell as it's cast, if you're paying attention.

Also, skill rolls.

Anezia's perception check to search: [roll0]
And Lorelei's rather less impressive perception check to search: [roll1]

bcool999
2014-07-31, 04:27 PM
Jaycen

Wiping tears from his eyes, Jaycen follows the example of the woman and the blond man and begins to search the wreckage. He hops into the air and hovers over the wreckage, hoping that an aerial view may reveal something that a ground search could miss.

Perception Check: [roll0]

Flinn_Furious
2014-08-01, 12:57 AM
Anezia
Finds, nothing. Absolutely nothing. No bricks, no candle holders, no toys. Just burnt wood and furniture, as if the building had been abandoned for weeks before it was burned down.

Jaycen
From the air, the fire seems even stranger. The flames had only the made skin deep marks on every structure bordering the orphanage, yet the entire place had burned down too fast for anyone to stop it.

ChaosArchon
2014-08-01, 01:06 AM
Jellal had stood their long enough however, and remembered he had no time to reminisce about long last days. He had a mission, and just because the building was in ruins didn't preclude the possibility that some records still remained. He then went quick to work in order to try and find any records in the office that still remained, particularly any that mentioned him, or Erza...

Perception:[roll0]

Tiny
2014-08-01, 05:42 PM
Jericho

Out of old habit Jericho makes a mental note about the three persons that were currently examining the site. The doctor seems determined enough. If one of the other two carries any blame they hide it very well. He took a few steps back to observe the entire scene. Breathing in deeply and placing his hands palm to palm. He held the position whith his eyes closed for a short few moments. Then the monkclosed his eyes, consentrated and gathered his focus into a sharp point. Now then.. Natural or othervise?

His eyes snapped open and he started to walk around the building. Scaning the burned ruin with a shimmer in his eyes.

Gaining psionic focus and begins searching for where the fire originated with the aid of detect magic and guidiance.

perception: [roll0]

bcool999
2014-08-01, 07:27 PM
Jaycen

Landing next to the others, Jaycen shares his findings, "It's strange. From above I can see all the surrounding buildings... They all appear to be only the slightest bit scorched. But if this fire was as quick as they say, then it should have spread farther. It seems too... controlled."

Looking slightly abashed, Jaycen scratches the back of his head to cover his embarrassment before saying, "Sorry, seeing this seems to have stripped me of my manners... My name is Jaycen." Jaycen says with a quick bow, "No need for you all to give me your names if you wish not too. I understand that it may not be everyone's way to be as open as I am, but, as a wandering doctor, I find it helps people trust you to help them if you observe the niceties."

Flinn_Furious
2014-08-02, 09:43 AM
Jericho

The fire most likely wasn't magical in nature, though if it was the effects have long since faded into nothingness. However, as you poke around the ruins, there's no sign any living thing was ever there. When someone burns, there's always residue. Natural oils, flecks of burnt skin, even bone dust if the fire was hot enough. But here, there's nothing. It's like no one at all died during the fire. What makes that even stranger is how what few people you talked to expressed lamentations at the loss of life.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-08-03, 01:53 PM
Anezia

Anezia's brow furrows as she examines the rubble. Something wasn't adding up here. Maybe...

Her thoughts are cut off with a start as Jaycen lands beside her and breaks her out of her reverie.

So he can fly, then? And easily enough to do so casually. Interesting.

She gives him an appraising look as he rises from his bow. "No apology needed; bad days make bad guests of us all. Besides, I doubt even on the best of days anyone would complain about your bedside manner... doctor." she punctuates the final word with a sly smile. "Anezia; tarali anata."

She turns away and looks out across the rubble. "And if you are here to help... the smallness of the fire is not the only mystery here. Perhaps you did not notice from your place in the sky, but look at how empty the place is." She gestures to the area around her feet, rubble already cleared away. "This is the Puddles. I would expect the place to have been picked over, yes, but... this is more than that. Things no sensible fence would take are missing, like... childrens' toys and other cheap bric-a-brac. It's as though everyone here packed up and left before the fire even started. As though nobody died here at all."

And yet...

Her eyes land on some of the partial remains left behind in the rubble, blissfully out of focus at this distance. "Tell me, doctor," she adds with a half-nod in the direction she's facing. "I don't suppose you would be willing to inspect how... genuine that is?"

'Tarali anata' = a friendly-enough Varisian greeting along the lines of 'pleasure to meet you.'

I'm just making this up as I go along. I don't suppose anyone has a link to a Varisian / Golarion-in-general phrasebook? I like that sort of thing, but haven't had any luck with The Google.

Tiny
2014-08-03, 02:37 PM
Jericho

"Yor suspicions are correct. This place is not only empty of toys, Anezia." The monk says with a low voice as he sweeps with his hand out across the charred ruins. "As far as remains go. There are none present either. No ash. No bones. Nothing. Either the place was cleaned using magic. Or more likely, not a single person died in this blaze." He turned to Jaycen with an unyielding and emotionless gaze. "Dry your tears Doctor Jaycen and focus on what this implies about the fire. Someone wanted us to believe everyone was dead. Now the question is who and why." He once more studied the scene. An unreadable expression hidden by the hood. Once he had had friends here.. Once he had laughed in these halls. Before the monastery and the lord of fire. Once in another life.

"I am Brother Kayne. And I am curious as to what exactly all of you sought within this place. What was your purposes here?" There is no warm undertone in the question. But, neither is there hostility.

Flinn_Furious
2014-08-04, 03:40 PM
As all of you study the fire, a high pitched whine starts to build in your ears. No, your heads. It gets steadily louder and almost painful before stopping completely.

Everyone should make a perception check to discover the basic location of the noise.

Tiny
2014-08-05, 05:18 AM
Jericho

What is that awful sound? He concentrated on his ears to try and pin point the direction of the noise. His head started to pound. Is it inside my mind? Sweat was forming on his brow from the concentration required to keep the outward appearance of still emotionless calm. Get out of my head! His inside was a raging turmoil but he anchored his thoughts in the firm foundations of his upbringing and rode the storm to its end. Reciting a prayer to his lord to carry through this trial. Eventually the sound stopped.. But where had it originated from?

Perception with guidiance, [roll0] afterwards take 10 if possible.

bcool999
2014-08-05, 09:44 PM
Jaycen

Jaycen turns to respond to Brother Kayne when he hears the telepathic whine and tilts his head to listen. ::Is that you doing that?:: Jaycen asks his psicrystal. ::It isn't me! I hear it too! is the perturbed stone's response.

The whine was so loud by then that Jaycen placed his hands on either side of his head in a futile attempt to block out the sound. It must be coming from somewhere nearby. If it gets any worse, my head will burst!

Perception to find the source: [roll0] (forgot alertness from psicrystal in the previous roll).

Cowardly Griffo
2014-08-05, 09:45 PM
Anezia

Anezia turns her head to Jericho, looking at him over her shoulder with a raised eyebrow. "Eavesdropping, lawman?"

Never mind that turnabout was fair play; the Karelas didn't believe in fair play when it came to lawmen. Still, if he'd had a chance to search already...

"And it seems we're all here for the same reason: looking for answers." She turns to face the pair fully. "But if you're really telling me that those... pieces of people aren't real, then–the Abyss is that noise?"

Aborted curiosity turns to discomfort turns to pain as the noise grows, then suddenly stops.

"Korolea." She subtly works her jaw back and forth instinctively to chase away the ringing as she tries to work out the noise's origin.

Korolea = generic elven cussing.

Perception: [roll0]

ChaosArchon
2014-08-05, 09:48 PM
As Jellal attempts to search for the documents, he begins to hear a high pitched sound. To most it would be bad enough, but as a lycanthrope it was a magnitude more painful to hear. He stops his task of locating the books and begins to attempt to find the source of the infernal sound.

perception: [roll0]

Flinn_Furious
2014-08-06, 08:23 PM
Definitely somewhere in Absaloms spiritual center, the Ascendant District where the Star Stone is said to lie.

You feel as if the sound came somewhere from the northeast.

Tiny
2014-08-12, 12:28 PM
Jericho

At the eavesdropping comment Jericho flashes a small smile. But before he has a chance to respond the sound hits him. As it subsides he quickly speaks up to all the assembled people. "The bodies. Short version. People don't completely burn up even in a fire. There is always leftovers such as fatty tissues bone meal and such. There is none of that present here and if you found any you will have to show me." He pauses for a moment. "Now.. Judging from your looks you all just heard what I heard and as far as I know it came from the Ascendant District."

bcool999
2014-08-12, 01:40 PM
Jaycen

Hearing Jericho's words and drawing on his own medical expertise, Jaycen knows he is right. There should be burnt up remnants left. How could he miss that? Because I didn't want to look too closely that's why. I didn't want to see a friend's remains and wonder who it was. I even flew above the scene rather than dig through it just to distance myself from it, and then only took notice of the surrounding buildings! I will not be such a coward again!

Feeling the confidence in Jericho's voice about the location of that mysterious sound, Jaycen follows his lead toward the Ascendant District (despite how much Jaycen wishes to avoid that area).

Before going too far though he stops and turns to the others. "I don't know what that sound was, but there is a chance that it is dangerous. With your permission, I would like to add you all to my 'collective' as I call it. Along with some other benefits, while you are all in my collective I will be able to heal you of any injury you might sustain without needing to be in physical contact. However, some might find it a bit... uncomfortable. Though you can leave the collective at any time with just a thought if you wish. So... any takers?"

Rules/Things to know about the collective (condensed).
1. The collective has a range of 210ft. (will rise with levels) so if you want the benefits of membership stay at least that close.
2. Everyone in the collective gets Telepathy with every other member of the collective.
3. As a swift action, members of the collective can call on Jaycen to heal them for up to 44 hp. This is useable 9 times a day, but remember, it costs 1 pp for every 4 hp healed so use in emergencies please (Jaycen doesn't have to answer with healing if he really doesn't want too).
4. If you die Jaycen loses pp = to your HD and gets sickened for an equal number of rounds so try not to get killed even if Jaycen can bring you back!
5. Jaycen can redirect healing within the collective, so if for example someone chugs a potion while they are fully healed and someone is at 1 hp I can (with permission) transfer the healing of that potion to the person with 1 hp as a non-action. This works with ability damage healing as well as fast healing and healing from sleep (as long as the person with fast healing or who was sleeping has at least 1 point of damage that is).

Should the others take Jaycen up on his offer, he goes through the necessary steps to connect their minds together just as he practiced with his psicrystal since the event. That complete, Jaycen speaks mind to mind with the new collective members, ::There all done. Just let me know if you are hurt and I will get right on it!::

Tiny
2014-08-12, 03:28 PM
Jericho

"This collective.. As you call it. Would it allow us to read each others minds more fully?" He fixed Jaycen with his steely gaze. "If that is the case then I could not enter it as some of the information I have is not for other peoples eyes, ears or minds. Besides.." He added with a small smile that did not reach his eyes. "You might just die from fright."

He continued as he walked. "If the link is not quite so deep, then the tactical advantage more than makes up for any small discomfort. This investigation will work more smoothly if we do not need to constantly meet up to share our findings. As well as share insights on any person we might need to question."

Jericho nodded to him. "I will join this collective of yours Doctor. Provided the answers you provide are sufficient."

Jericho will try to read if you are hiding something about the collective. Sense motive [roll0] This is purely optional to respond to and should be considered purely for RP Jaycen. It is in his nature to be a bit suspicious after all.

bcool999
2014-08-12, 03:54 PM
Jaycen

In response to Jericho's query, Jaycen is quick to put his mind at rest. "Not to worry, only thoughts shared voluntarily pass through the collective, and even if other thoughts did slip through I treat every member of my collective as though they are my patient and hold all private information in the strictest confidence."

"The reason the collective might feel uncomfortable is that everyone in the collective feels as though they are close enough to touch one another even if you are far apart. That connection, while too intimate for some, is a great boon for healing abilities since it can replace any required physical contact which can be difficult in emergency situations with many people in need of aid."

Feeling as though he has been rather long-winded, Jaycen motions toward the Ascendant District, silently asking if everyone is ready to go.

ChaosArchon
2014-08-12, 06:05 PM
As Jellal heads towards the source of the noise, he listens to the conversation between the other two as they speak of a "collective." As they near the source of the noise Jellal says,"I too have a talent for connecting the minds and bolstering their psionic potential. If any of you possess the Gift, then when we enter a situation involving combat I might be able to lay this neural webway if you all consent."

Flinn_Furious
2014-08-12, 07:18 PM
As you all approach the Ascendant district a similar noise starts up again, though far more muted than before. If you weren't already listening for it, the noise would be lost in those of the city. As it is, you manage to track it's location to a large temple, though nowhere close to the size of the massive cathedrals centered around the Starstone. Steps leading toward the entrance are surprisingly empty, as most temples have been full to bursting nearly every day since the Event.
Expensive white marble, no doubt pulled from a Galtan quarry, has been ornately carved with elaborate sun motifs, though a few show a beautiful woman holding a scimitar. All along the steps tell a story, pulled from the holy book, depicting men riding horses and camels directly towards a frightening monstrosity, until the last step where a gilded sun destroys the monster with fire.

Those with the trained skills are free to make knowledge local, local religion, and knowledge history concerning this temple, though you don't need a check to tell it's dedicated to Sarenae.

Tiny
2014-08-14, 10:48 AM
Jericho

Having accepted and undergone the rites needed to become part of doctor Jaycen's 'Collective' Jericho nonetheless spoke his thoughts out loud. "This gift? If it is what I think you mean then I suspect at least the good doctor and myself could make use of your powers. Hmm.. It seems to originate from the temple of Serenae.." Eyeing the building with a stern gaze. He tried to recall what he knew of that faith and the stories surrounding this particular temple. Perhaps one of his companions could provide more insight into the matter. "What do you all know of this.. Place?"

K.Local[roll0]
K.Religion [roll1]
K.History [roll2]

bcool999
2014-08-14, 02:12 PM
Jaycen

Staring at the steps to the church of Sarenrae in Absolam, Jaycen wonders how his day could get any worse. I come back to find my home burned to the ground mysteriously, and then some sort of mysterious mental whine leads me to the last place I ever wanted to return too... Is this Sarenrae trying to get back at me?

To Jericho's question, Jaycen finds it hard to form an appropriate response. "I stayed here for a time before moving into the orphanage... I would rather not share to much about that, but needless to say, I may be recognized here."

Flinn_Furious
2014-08-15, 12:52 PM
I tend to give players free reign when it comes to what they do and when they do it, letting the plot kind of form itself around their decisions while keeping on the overall track. That said, I can provide a more "on the rails" adventure later if that would be easier, but for now your actions are the story's driving force.
Jericho, your religion checks reveals the following information.
It's obviously a temple to Sarenrae, but one more devoted to her nature as a warrior and destroyer. The steps depict a famed and controversial Casmaron tale that had them alone resisting the forces of Rovagug while the rest of the world either joined him or were themselves swept away. Such a mural, and indeed your history and local checks confirmed this, marks this particular temple to be almost strictly Kele****e.

ChaosArchon
2014-08-15, 02:45 PM
Jellal listens while his new ally relays information about the temple,"Now I wonder why the temple of a goddess of war and the like would be making such an infernal racket. Any guesses?"