PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Orchestra of Bards

czieg
2014-07-29, 09:17 AM
Orchestra of Bards!

Okay, I was thinking how a single bard can produce great magical effects on their own. So what would happen if we to a band or an orchestra of bards. What kind of magic could they pull off?

Casting Group Spells
The mechanics should be fairly simple. The highest bard casting level in the band is the cap to the level of spell you can cast and the rest of the band has to be at least the same level as the spell. So if a 10th level bard and four 5th level bards would play together, you could cast any 5th level bardic spells that the 10th level bard knows. The maximum amount of bards in a group is 5

Next is the bonuses you get for playing as a band. For bonuses that increase per level, combine all the levels of the band. So cure light wounds is 1d8+1/per level is cast by 3 level 2 bards, that is 2+2+2=6 for the bonus per level.

Bard groups can cast arcane spells from the conjuration, illusion, enchantment, divination and sonic damaging evocations like a wizard at the lowest spell level in the party. Any bonuses for casting as a group are reduced to 1/4th (25%) effects so 4 18th level bards would be able to cast 9th level spells at only bonuses for 18th level. This is due to the difficulty of casting these higher level spells. The group must study these songs together to be able to cast them.

Bard groups can cast divine healing spells, Evocation (Sonic), conjuration at the lowest spell level in the party

Other spells can be cast if you play a full length song. (3-4 min) DM chooses if song suits the spell. This can be until the combined level of spells you have cast add up to 9, once per day. So ex. 1 9th level spell or 9 1st level spells.

Class Ability Bonuses
Inspire Courage- all bards in the group must be able to use this ability. This is cast at the combined bonuses of the entire group. Not at the combined level.

Countersong- all bards in the group must be able to use this ability. Countersongs from a group combine their perform bonuses when making the check.

Inspire Competence- when using this ability, you cannot target yourself or anyone else in the group. Take the number of people in the group, multiply that by 2, add that bonus.

Inspire Greatness- all bards in the group must be able to use this ability. All bonuses are multiplied by the number of bards in the group.

I will return with more later.

Pokonic
2014-07-29, 11:20 AM
Using this, I can't help but think of a megalomaniacal antagonist who has his own bardic chorus create some kickin BGM just out of sight in his main fighting chamber.

czieg
2014-07-29, 12:32 PM
Using this, I can't help but think of a megalomaniacal antagonist who has his own bardic chorus create some kickin BGM just out of sight in his main fighting chamber.

What me and a friend were thinking was take a group of 5, level 18 bards, stand outside of a castle, cast earthquake. Heavy metal plays as the entire castle falls.

Socksy
2014-07-29, 07:03 PM
Orchestra of Bards!
Bard groups composed of all bards of the same level can cast arcane spells from the conjuration, illusion, enchantment, divination and sonic damaging evocations like a wizard. Any bonuses for casting as a group are reduced to 1/4th (25%) effects so 4 18th level bards would be able to cast 9th level spells at only bonuses for 18th level. This is due to the difficulty of casting these higher level spells. The group must study these songs together to be able to cast them.

Bard groups composed of all bards of the same level can cast divine healing spells, Evocation (Sonic), conjuration.

So if you had four tenth-level bards, they could cast as a tenth-level wizard, but if you had three tenth-level bards and an eleventh level bard, they couldn't?[/QUOTE]

Countersong- all bards in the group must be able to use this ability. Countersongs from a group combine their perform bonuses when making the check.

Inspire Competence- when using this ability, you cannot target yourself or anyone else in the group. Take the number of people in the group, multiply that by 2, add that bonus.

Inspire Greatness- all bards in the group must be able to use this ability. All bonuses are multiplied by the number of bards in the group.

(fixed your spelling)
You... do realise orchestras have dozens to hundreds of members, right? You'll have people getting +200 to their skills just because of music.

czieg
2014-07-29, 07:42 PM
So if you had four tenth-level bards, they could cast as a tenth-level wizard, but if you had three tenth-level bards and an eleventh level bard, they couldn't?

(fixed your spelling)
You... do realise orchestras have dozens to hundreds of members, right? You'll have people getting +200 to their skills just because of music.[/QUOTE]

Thank you on all points. Yes I do realize the amount of people in an orchestra, however I've recently been listening to more classical music lately and an orchestra of bards would destroy with these rules. I will revise and correct as needed.

Debihuman
2014-07-31, 07:29 PM
How about a Mob of Bards using the Mob Template in DMG II? You need a base creature to work from so stat up an appropriate level bard and tack on the Template and a few extra special abilities perhaps and see what happens.

Debby