PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Gish build help (Factotum + Sublime Chord)

achapiro
2014-07-29, 10:46 AM
So I'm thinking of a fun build that I'd like to optimize a little. I wanted to make a character that would be fun to play, but still strong enough that I don't feel underpowered.

I was thinking along the lines of:
- human;
Factotum 3
Bard 7
Sublime Chord 2
Abjurant Champion 5
Something with full caster progression 3

This should give me 15-16 BAB, an average of close to D8 for hit die and 9th level sorcerer-like spellcasting, while allowing me to focus my attributes on Cha and Int only (because of Factotum's brains over brawn). Human race, very high Int and Factotum/Bard skill points would allow for a lot of skill points in the early levels.

The idea would be that this character is the groups' face and a skillmoney, but can still hold his own in a melee and cast decent spells (but of course not as well as the party wizard).

What do you think? Does anyone have good suggestions for the last 3 levels?

Darrin
2014-07-29, 11:36 AM
What do you think? Does anyone have good suggestions for the last 3 levels?

Ruathor (Races of the Wild) is probably the most painless of 3-level fillers, but only gets you BAB +15 and is a little on the dull side as far as class features go. Spellsword 1 plus something like Fatespinner 2 or Paragnostic Apostle 2 would give you a similar BAB.

There really aren't any full-BAB gish PrCs (other than Abjurant Champion) that don't lose caster levels somewhere early, unless you can sneak in the first level of Eldritch Knight/Knight Phantom just before you get into Sublime Chord. But that means you lose either Brains Over Braun or 3rd level Bard spells. You can kludge your way back to 3rd level spells with the usual shenanigans: Versatile Spellcaster, Sanctum Spell, Earth Spell, etc.

Rebel7284
2014-07-29, 11:50 AM
Why do you want Brains Over Brawn? It it to be a better skill monkey?

If your DM allows early entry via the various methods available, you may be better served going Factotum 8/Bard 2 as entry. You can even finagle something like Factotum 8/Bard 1/Ur Priest 1/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Theurge 9