PDA

View Full Version : The Shattering (IC Thread)

tigerusthegreat
2014-07-29, 11:13 AM
It came in the middle of a normal night. A wail like all of the tortured souls of hell screaming out at once, shaking everyone out of their sleep. Brilliant pink lightning filled the skies, and the earth shook violently. Dozens of people were crushed by falling debris, and others disappeared in a flash of light. Black flames consumed whole towns, and gravity itself simply stopped working in some places, and because twice as powerful in others. When it was all over, you wake in the ruins of a town. It is unrecognizable to you, it could any city you've ever been in. Around you are a handful of people, confused looks on their faces, similar to the one you must have. Beyond the ruined town, the ground is the wrong shade of brown, and the sky is a few shades too green. Something is very wrong here.

There are five of you clustered together (the party). A couple of the nearby wooden structures are on fire, and one of the stone structures looks about ready to collapse in on itself.

GPuzzle
2014-07-29, 11:44 AM
Tlod finishes taking a look around. "This isn't the temple. This isn't home. This isn't safe.".

"By Ioun... What has happened here?" - he mutters, under his breath. "What are you waiting, people? Save those that are still alive! Go to the fires and put them down, open a route, get people out, our forces are spread out thin!"

And he starts running towards the crackling stone building as fast as he can.

Felhammer
2014-07-29, 06:33 PM
MAS

The eladrin wizard looks around, positively perplexed, "Wha... What just happened?" Bepe, the Eladrin's faithful cat companion, lunges into the wizard's arms. Mas strokes the frightened cat, trying to calm it... And herself. "L-last thing I remember, there was a scream and back flames... Where's..." She begins to look all around, high and low. She spots Githzerai, who looks just as lost and confused as her. The wizard rushes up and asks, "I must find my friends. Have you seen a swarm of wasps around here?" She looks past the Avenger, off behind him, first to the left and then to the right. "Oh, this is quite perplexing. First we were in town - we being myself, Bepe and Bram - then... Black fire, every where. Was it the same for you gentle Githzerai?" She looks to the left, then to the right again, crouching to get a better view occasionally, "Have you seen the wasps yet? Do keep an eye out, hopefully they were teleported by what ever dark magic that was used to bring us here..." She suddenly becomes cognoscente of the collapsing building, "That does not look good, oh not at all... Gentle Githzerai, we should back away, for fear of the tower falling upon us. Oh... This brings back bad memories of my childhood. We must back away... Oh... Not good. Not good at all..."

GPuzzle
2014-07-29, 06:53 PM
"We still can save them. Try to save as many as you can, every hand will help. Don't be afraid. Stories like these have happened before. I've studied them in the monastaries. And one thing I learned from it is - we need to save them."

Felhammer
2014-07-29, 07:00 PM
MAS

The woman recoils, "S-s-save them...? Me...? I will be the first to admit I do possess several abilities that could be of use but... Are there not guards and other upstanding citizens who would be far more capable than I to aid you in this predicament? I for one do not like fire, burning buildings or collapsing stones... Of course I will render assistance but... Perhaps my talents would be better served by fetching other souls?" She looks down at her black cat and sighs, "Very well Bepe. Go see if you can find anyone else nearby. I will help this githzerai..."

Mas joins the avenger in his sojourn into the building.

GPuzzle
2014-07-29, 07:06 PM
"There are other people who are better suited to do this than you or me. But we need all help we can. Don't cry. You're helping people. It's nothing to be afraid of."

tigerusthegreat
2014-07-29, 08:27 PM
The stone building looks like it will topple any moment. You don't notice anyone immediately visible inside.

GPuzzle
2014-07-29, 08:57 PM
Can I roll a Perception Check to see if there's anyone inside it?

tigerusthegreat
2014-07-29, 11:05 PM
You can make a check, yes. Your passive perceptions have not picked up anyone besides the party.

GPuzzle
2014-07-29, 11:10 PM
Perception: +5(trained)+4(Wisdom)+3(levels)=+12

[roll0] Perception check

Echobeats
2014-07-30, 02:24 AM
Bram awoke to the smell of burning. Ah, so that must be what those "dreams" Mas was telling me about are like. I wondered if I would ever start having them. Bram had been practising maintaining his humanoid form while asleep, and it seemed as though he was becoming more similar to the larger creatures as a result.

Then he awoke fully and looked around. If this is a dream, it feels exceedingly real. He looked around the house for Mas, but she was nowhere to be seen. Worried, he swarmed, and flew out into the street to look for her. He was sure it didn't look like it had yesterday.

Then he saw a burning building. His Morality lesson from the other week came to mind, and he thought Mas would probably be pleased if he went to look for trapped people first before finding her. Maybe. Morality was so confusing sometimes.

His decision made, he swarmed into the building to see if there was anyone to save.

If it matters, I'm going for the nearest building to Mas' house.

Tried to roll and it didn't work; I will post anew.

Echobeats
2014-07-30, 06:44 AM
Perception: [roll0]
I am looking and listening for anyone in the burning building who may need rescuing.

tigerusthegreat
2014-07-30, 02:55 PM
Tlod does not see anyone alive. He does see a few people that are undeniably dead around the crumbling building, with heads and chests caved in from falling stone.

Bram does not see anyone near the burning buildings that needs saving. Like Tlod, he sees some badly burned bodies. On the outer wall, on fire, is a body that is partially suspended through the wall. The face is too badly burned to make out anything, but you imagine that person died in agony, their organs partly integrated with the wall.

Bram in particular notices that none of these buildings, even in their dilapidated state, resemble those around him when the event happened. Its like they were transported to another place altogether.

Mas realizes that many of the building types have no business being together at all. Many cities have both stone and wood structures, but rarely intermixed like this. Usually the older parts of the city are in the more durable material. Looking down, the streets themselves are pockmarked. In some places, cobblestones, in others worn dirt paths, and in other places there is wood laid down as the roadway.

Echobeats
2014-07-30, 03:41 PM
Bram regards the charred bodies within the building without emotion. He thinks he's supposed to feel disgusted, but the feeling just isn't there. Then he realises he isn't immediately going over to feed on the corpses either, so he must be doing better than he thought.

Well, if there's no-one to rescue, I'd best get out of here, he thinks as a couple of wasps are singed by the flames. He hurries back out into the street to look for Mas. As he does so he notices the road is a curious mixture of materials. The buildings, too, are juxtaposed, as though two or more towns had been shoehorned into the same space. Mas will know what this is. I just hope she's here too. He coalesces into the shape of a tall, nearly-human figure, so as to be easier to see, and hurries along on two legs (what a ridiculous number for walking!) to look for his friend.

Will I be able to find Mas without too much trouble or do I need to roll? Not sure of the geographical layout here. Passive Perception is 21.

Felhammer
2014-07-30, 03:44 PM
MAS

The eladrin stares at her surroundings, "Th-this is not right. Not right at all. Foul magic has done this. For what end, I do not know." She calls her cat, Bepe, back and holds him in her arms. "Come Bepe, let us stick together so that we do not become separated via dark magic." Mas looks around to those still living and yells, "HOLD IT RIGHT THERE! I do not presume to believe any of you had anything to do with this (if anything it was probably my Uncle-Twice-Removed Lathar or Great-Aunt Magia, they were always crazy enough to experiment with weird magic) but still, the question must be asked! Who are you, where did you come from and do you know where we are (or at the very least, recognize any of the bits and pieces of this hodgepodge settlement)?"

tigerusthegreat
2014-07-30, 03:54 PM
Bram, Mas and the rest of the party are in approximately the same area.

GPuzzle
2014-07-30, 04:00 PM
Tlod goes running out of the building, and looks to the Eladrin and the Mul who are on its surroundings.

"Ah, Gods. Everyone's dead inside the building. I don't think that even Nerull or the Raven Queen might've liked this many dead. Can anyone count how many are still alive, and what did they work on?"

Can I check the surroundings to see if I recognize the area? Passive Perception's a 21, too.

Echobeats
2014-07-30, 04:05 PM
Mazzz, there you are! What on earth hazzz happened?

Felhammer
2014-07-30, 04:14 PM
MAS

"BRAM!" The eladrin rushes over to her friend and gives him (them?) a big hug. "It is good to see you, although I wish you were not brought to this most curious and perplexing place." She looks over to the Githzerai, "I am called Mas and this is my unique friend, Bram." Mas' cat meows, "Oh and this little darling is Bepe. What is your name, friend?" The mage looks around and sighs, "We should investigate the town and see if there are any other survivors, or perhaps clues as to how and why we were brought here."

GPuzzle
2014-07-30, 04:19 PM
"I am Tlod, priest of Ioun - nevermind the gigantic sword - and seemingly, I'm the same place as you, lady."

tigerusthegreat
2014-07-30, 04:40 PM
Tlod does not recognize many of the buildings, as they seem haphazardly arranged. In the distance, on the other side of the town, he sees the spire of a temple that looks familiar. He thinks it is the temple of Ioun from Sh'iarn, a border town he passed through. The temple's spire was decorated with spinning stones that worked by some clockwork mechanism. The spire is distinctive, even from a distance.

Felhammer
2014-07-30, 05:25 PM
MAS

The eladrin eyes the sword and smiles, "I know of few priests who worship Ioun who would run around with a giant's blade. You must be a specialized combatant. I prefer the spells to swords, opting to burn and enchant rather than risk death in mortal melee combat. "

Echobeats
2014-07-31, 02:08 PM
Bram does his best to stay solid and not give Mas any stings as she hugs him. She hasn't done that before. He wonders what it means.

Greetingzz, Mazzz; greetingzz, Bepe. Zzzo, you do not know where we are or why we are here? Alazzz. I had hoped your exzzztenzive learning would azzizst uzz. Zztill, I am glad to zzee at leazzt one familiar fazzce.

At this, Bram remembered his manners. Apologiezzz, we forg... I forget myzzelf. I am called Bram. Pleazze pay no mind to my unuzzual appearanze. Mazzz here will azzzure you I am perfectly zzzafe.

He turns to the Githzerai, a species he learned of in Mas's lessons only a couple of weeks ago. I zzee you were inzzide that zztone building. Izz anyone inzzide that can be rezzcued? I have zzearched the burning building over there. Zzadly, no-one izz left alive. One perzzon zzuffered a mozzt unfortunate death: zztuck halfway through a wall. I zzuggezzt you zztay well away from it.

To the group, he says, I azzzume none of you izz any keener to zztay here than I am. Doezz anyone know anything that could help uzz work out what hazz happened and where we find ourzzelvezz?

Felhammer
2014-08-02, 02:32 AM
MAS

Mas gives Bram a big hug then says, "We have no idea where we are. There is that temple over there... I suppose it could be interesting... Maybe there are some answers in there... Or at least a place high enough up where we can get a good view of the landscape."

Echobeats
2014-08-02, 05:48 AM
Githzzerai, we think we heard you zzay you are a priezzt? Would you know anything about that temple? It zzeemzz to be the zzentrepiezce of thizz zztrange plazce. Perhapzz we might learn zzomething there?

GPuzzle
2014-08-02, 08:30 AM
"The cause of the catastrophe? Unlikely. At least they'll have something that'll help us."

Echobeats
2014-08-02, 12:28 PM
Then we zzzay... I mean, I zzzay we exzzplore the temple without further delay. Azz long azz Mazz thinkzz it izz a good idea, that izz.

tigerusthegreat
2014-08-04, 01:05 PM
The group of ragged survivors makes its way to the temple of Ioun. As they travel through the city, they see more dead bodies and destroyed buildings. The fires had burned hotter here, scoring even the stone buildings that periodically appeared. You don't see a single living being, only bodies.

When you do finally reach the Temple, you finally see signs of life. A firebreak has been built around the temple, most of the wooden structures nearby torn down and area cleared around it. Two men in leather armor with spears stand by the temple's doors, with a third appearing from around the corner, patrolling around the building. They have not noticed you yet. A wagon comes up the street opposite of the temple to you. Two more armed men walk beside it, and it is pulled by another two men, stripped to the waist and sweating heavily. The cart is loaded with chests and barrels.

Sartharina
2014-08-04, 01:36 PM
As the wagon came into view, the large, heavily-armed and armored and unusually fluffy dragonborn woman that had been following the rest of the survivors in a daze started making a strange growling sound, followed by a barely-audible unf as she shook herself out of her daze. Not taking the time to consult anyone else on a plan of action, Sartharina separated herself from the others, and started heading over to the wagon-pulling team. Clearing her throat, she greeted them with a warm, "Hail! Is this a safe haven for survivors, and if so, any way I can help?" Her voice was strong and deep, carrying a tone of nobility, dignity and reserved authority.

Echobeats
2014-08-04, 01:53 PM
Bram hangs back, not wanting to jeopardise the introduction with the strangers due to his potentially alarming appearance. He does notice, though, that they have a certain sense of purpose, which suggests either that they are an extremely level-headed group of displaced persons, or that they have some idea what is going on.

GPuzzle
2014-08-04, 02:09 PM
"Oh, mighty Ioun! There's people still alive and trying to fix the chaos!", exclaims Tlod to the skies, and he goes running, swiftly, to the temple.

Felhammer
2014-08-04, 05:18 PM
MAS

The eladrin is shocked by the seemingly shell shocked dragonborn snaps out of her confused state and rushes over to the people who live within the tower. Mas whispers to Bram, "I do not trust these... Temple-goers. We should keep our eyes peeled for danger. Be kind and courteous, sure, but we need to be ever wary for traps and deceit... At least until we get to know them. She meanders behind the seemingly over-excited Tlod, taking her time to note where the newcomers are in relation to one another and keeping her eyes peeled for danger.

Perception Check to keep an eye on the temple-goers [roll0]

Echobeats
2014-08-04, 05:49 PM
Bram nods. He says nothing, but stands ready to intervene should the temple guards or the strange-looking Dragonborn turn out to be unfriendly.

tigerusthegreat
2014-08-04, 06:27 PM
The guards around the wagon seem to be on alert now, and the two laborers pull harder. The guard patrolling, and another from inside the temple walk toward the group, swiftly putting themselves in distance. The one from inside the temple has slightly better looking armor, studded leather, and wears two swords, sheathed at his hips. He speaks when he is about halfway between you and the wagon.

"This is a safe place, but not for ones armed and armored as yourself. You have the look of bandits about you, and we will defend ourselves."

They make no hostile move.

Mas
They look on edge and worried. They clearly do not like strangers stumbling upon them. You imagine looting and pillaging would be rampant after a disaster. The wagon is interesting, however. It could be full of food and supplies, or it could be full of treasures gathered from the ruins. Bandits could use the temple just as easily as refugees.

GPuzzle
2014-08-04, 08:21 PM
"This is a sacred temple to Ioun, and you do not look like a member of the clergy. I however, am a member of the clergy. I want to know what is going on in these sacred grounds."

Felhammer
2014-08-04, 09:33 PM
MAS

Mas whispers to Bram, "What do you think is in that cart...? If need be, you should transform and fly over the cart and see what's inside."

tigerusthegreat
2014-08-04, 09:43 PM
"We are refugees of the devastation, invited here by Sir Jastus Priman, paladin of the holy order of Ioun. We've been attacked by bandits three times, so we are very cautious."

GPuzzle
2014-08-04, 09:58 PM
"Oh, heavens! Tell Sir Jastus Tlod of the Clergy is here!"

Felhammer
2014-08-04, 10:01 PM
MAS

The eladrin's ears perk up at the mention of bandits, "W-w-will... They be coming back... Anytime soon...?

Sartharina
2014-08-05, 12:46 AM
Interrupted on her attempt to go to the distractingly sweaty shirtless guys over by the cart, Sartharina pulled herself up in front of the guard, showing off. "You think any bandit can look as good as me?" She asked vainly, the metallic fur visible between her ornate, thematically-coordinated and anatomy-flattering armor puffing up in indignation. Getting over her display, she calmed down, fanning her tail out and letting it sweep behind her. "I'm Sartharina - Did you kill the bandits each time, or merely drive them off? I'm surprised that anyone has their wits around them enough to try turning to banditry, and I'm willing to shut them down."

Echobeats
2014-08-05, 07:45 AM
MAS

Mas whispers to Bram, "What do you think is in that cart...? If need be, you should transform and fly over the cart and see what's inside."

We w... I would prefer to wait in cazze I anger thezze Temple guardzz, Bram whispers back. We may need their help zzoon. But I will go and have a look whenever you think it izz wizzze, teacher. You know I truzzt your judgement.

tigerusthegreat
2014-08-05, 09:24 AM
The guard clearly doesn't know quite what to think of you lot: A priest, a vain dragonborn, a swarm of insects, and a cat lady.

"Come forward then, and I will have his lordship decide what to do with you." He motions for you to follow him.

The insides of the temple are filled with a few dozen people, many of them with bandages and missing limbs. You consider yourself lucky that you escaped without much in the way of injury. The entire building smells of unwashed bodies, and there is very little food or other supplies visible. The building itself is not nearly as intact as you thought from the outside. One of the wings of the church is collapsed to rubble, and the staircase to the upper tower is filled with the collapsed staircase. It is a miracle even this building is still standing.

At the front of the church is a statue of Ioun. To its left is a tall man with red hair wearing black plate armor, inset with the symbol of Ioun. The guard approaches him, and bow slightly.

"M'lord, these people were poking about outside. This one." He points to Jastus. "claims to be Sir Jastus Tlod of the priesthood of Ioun."

"Thank you, Jeffries, please leave them with me." The guard bows slightly again and heads back out of the temple. "What can I do for you, Sir Jastus? I'm afraid we have nothing in the way of supplies to spare."

The way he holds his right hand, which is gauntleted, seems very odd. The gauntlet doesn't seem to fit quite right, and the hand barely moves.

Felhammer
2014-08-05, 10:24 AM
MAS

Mas considers Bram's point and responds, "Indeed Bram, prudence is called for right now. Let us not be hasty." She follows the group into the temple and cringes at the sights held within. Mas bites her tongue in order to prevent her from speaking anything ill of these people and their... Home.

GPuzzle
2014-08-05, 11:38 AM
"Oh, Ioun. My mistake. I am just Tlod, priest of Ioun."

Passive Perception beats the check. Do I have to roll or not?

Echobeats
2014-08-05, 11:55 AM
Passive Perception > 20 so no need for me to roll.

Bram follows Mas, Bepe, the excitable Githzerai priest and the strange feline creature into the Temple. The names and domains of the gods are all fairly new to him, and he struggles to remember who Ioun is.

Religion: [roll0]. Not sure what the DC would be. Please let me know how much Bram knows about Ioun. (I know who Ioun is, but I'm not sure Bram does.)

Greetingzz, noble Zzir. We are refugeezz from the... diztubranzce, though thankfully none of uzz izz injured. Can we be of any azziztanzce? I have zzome zzmall zzkill at healing.

tigerusthegreat
2014-08-05, 02:22 PM
"The priesthood here all died in the event, whatever it was. I'm not sure how they would handle this anyway, the Gods have done something terrible to our world. Thousands are probably dead, bandits pillage and plunder what they can, food and water are scarce. The church's well is just about dry, and our food supplies are about gone. We'd have more, but the bandits captured the last wagon we sent out before the one that just arrived, took the food from it and the horses."

Echobeats
2014-08-05, 03:35 PM
Then can we help you find food and water? I come from the wildernezz and am zzzkilled at zzmelling out zzourzcezz of zzuzztenanzce.

Sartharina
2014-08-05, 09:47 PM
"The immediate problem is the bandits, as far as I can tell. Do we know where they are?" Sartharina asked, pacing across the floor. "We can hit them hard, hit them fast, and get our supplies back. And, if we take the bandits alive, we can bolster our available labor - we cannot afford the luxury of idleness in these times."

Looking across the temple, she visually appraised the condition of the available manpower the temple had, especially the wounded.

tigerusthegreat
2014-08-05, 10:13 PM
It looks like the majority of the people are in no shape to do much. The few fit ones were dragging the wagon or in armor guarding the temple. Overall there are about forty people that you have seen.

"The bandits have been on the move, so it is hard to locate their base of operations. We have some ideas, but don't have the manpower to eliminate them. If they were out of the picture it would be easier to gather supplies. We also just need more supplies. The wagon that just came in will help, but that will only last a couple days."

Felhammer
2014-08-06, 12:38 AM
MAS

The eladrin nods, "Bandits are... Probably no issue...? I do not know these people, as we just met over yonder on the other side of town but... They look like they could hold their own... Probably. Point us in the right direction, I suppose, and we'll... Go... Make those bad people... Pay? For their crimes... Against the good people of this... Tower...?" Mas was never very good at this "adventuring" or "talking" thing. The wizard sighs, the characters in the books she read as a child always made this look so easy and natural. Hopefully practice would make her better at this sort of thing.

Echobeats
2014-08-06, 06:44 AM
A realisation dawns on Bram.

Juzzt a moment. How long have the rezzt of you been here? Mazzz and I were at home lazzt night but just woke up here. Have otherzz been here longer?

tigerusthegreat
2014-08-06, 07:49 AM
"They raid our wagons whereever they go, but it is worst in the northwest corner of the city."

"I've been here for two weeks. Some of these refugees have been here longer, and more appear every day."

Sartharina
2014-08-06, 12:38 PM
Looking over the wounded, Sartharina growled, and moved up to the black-armored man. "More come every day? Good. We'll need all the manpower we can get. Allow me to help, and we can restore order and productivity to this city and the lives of all its survivors."

Echobeats
2014-08-06, 01:37 PM
Zzo not everyone hazz come here at onzce? That exzplainzz how there hazz been time for banditzz to zzpring up.

Bram thought for a while. With so much still to learn, should he try his hand at practical philosophy? What the heck, he decided, he had very little to lose anyway. He addressed the temple leader.

Noble Zzir, if we... if I may make zzo bold, I am zztill learning the ropezz when it comezz to zcivilizzation, but I know the law of the jungle very well. It izz only to be exzpected that the firzzt people to find themzzelvezz here would revert to their natural zztate. They had no food, zzo they had to take it from zzomewhere. Thizz makezz them, in your eyezz, banditzz. But they are juzzt like uzz, trying to zzurvive in a zztrange world into which they were thrown unprepared.

If I have learned anything about how zcivilizzation workzz, it izz thizz: the cure for thizz problem izz not violenzce, but co-operation. Let uzz invite thezze banditzz to join the new zzozciety you are building up from zzcratch. We may find they are grateful to have otherzz to rely on, and willing to help uzz if their needzz are provided for.

Of courzze, they may dezcide to follow their own path and have nothing to do with uzz. That izz their dezcision. If zzo, then we make it clear they will pay with their livezz if they zzteal food from the weak.

Then he turns to Mas, hoping to find a look of approval on her face. Morality is such a slippery concept, and he can never be quite sure that he's got it right.

Felhammer
2014-08-07, 12:23 AM
MAS

Mas puts her hand on Bram's shoulder, "Talking may not be a bad idea. The bandits may only have attacked this tower because they are scared and feel helpless... Still bandits are usually bandits because they don't want to join other people's societies. They play by their own rules. Plus, many of them could be cruel and vile, not exactly people you would want to have sleeping next to you." The eladrin ponders the point for a time then responds, "Pardon the expression Bram but, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Being kind does not hurt us and could, potentially, net us more able bodied men and women. Seems like the better option to me.

Merellis
2014-08-07, 05:47 AM
"So you have a source of food and water for their extra numbers on top of the rest of us?" Comes a questioning voice from within the crowd.

A quick scan would find tiefling woman leaning against a shield while absently polishing a rather scratched and dented set of plate armor. Her chest and much of an arm is covered in bandages, though she's moving easily enough in her position. Gray eyes stare out from behind a pair of simple, wireframed, glasses that are partially hidden by a curtain of loose red hair.

"Or do you expect us to just ignore that we need food?"

Felhammer
2014-08-07, 03:02 PM
MAS

The eladrin offhandedly mentions as she pets her cat, If the bandits stop their raiding, then there will be more food in general. With more people, we can send out both more and larger squads to comb the countryside to find both food and supplies. If you do not have a means of growing more food currently, then this community is already doomed. We need men and women to go out into the unknown and forage. The more teams we have, the greater the chance of finding that which we seek. Additionally, with more manpower, we need not pull as many defenders of the tower away to go forage.

GPuzzle
2014-08-07, 04:15 PM
"Moreover, someone's bound to know how to cultivate wheat or barley or similar."

Echobeats
2014-08-07, 04:19 PM
Thizz lady makezz an important point. Where izz your food coming from?

Sartharina
2014-08-07, 04:21 PM
"We still need a show of force - to prove to cooperative factions that we can pull our weight in any alliance, negotiate from a position of strength with any neutral factions in the city, and destroy and subjugate the hostile factions." Sartharina answered Bram. "And Mas pretty much summed up the food situation, Tiefling. With more people, though, the more effort we can put into rebuilding agricultural infrastructure for long-term production. That said..."

Moving to the center of the temple, the Dragonborn unfurled her banner and planted it in the center of the gathered injured. Looking across them, she particularly seemed interested in any that appeared to still have some fight left in them, and anyone still conscious. She was going to get them back on their feet, once she appraised their condition properly.

Echobeats
2014-08-07, 06:12 PM
Bram whispers to Mas, What izz the cloth on a zztick for?

Felhammer
2014-08-07, 06:55 PM
MAS

The eladrin whispers to her friend, "It is called a banner. Knights use them to a) designate who they (or their lord) is, b) to inspire their men and c) to look fancy.

Merellis
2014-08-07, 07:18 PM
"You act as if stopping their raiding is going to be as simple as walking up to them and telling them to stop." Faith pushes herself to a standing position, her sheathed blade working well enough as a crutch to get up on her feet. "But if it's numbers you need, then consider me your shield. I will not allow them to kill another on my watch, nor will I be left for dead again."

The tiefling begins to don her armor with little issue and soon walks up to Sartharina. The loose hair is now tied back, and the bandaged tiefling is hidden behind a wall of metal. "I am Faith. If there is one among them hiding the knowledge to thrive in this gods forsaken land, then I will drag their cursed secrets into the light!"

She reaches to Sartharina with an open hand and a burning fire in her eyes. It seems the dragonborn has found a new companion, even if she is a little cynical and snarky.

GPuzzle
2014-08-07, 07:28 PM
"What God do you say your prayers to, Faith?"

tigerusthegreat
2014-08-07, 07:37 PM
Some of the wounded recover by the magical banner, but others, particularly the most direly wounded, are not fully healed.

"We have been here for two weeks, and have not had time to plow fields or do much but forage. We've found most of the food in the buildings that are abandoned. I don't think the bandits would allow us to have fields without them pillaging them."

Sartharina
2014-08-07, 09:09 PM
"Excellent." Sartharina answered Faith, accepting her offered hand. But we'll need more soldiers. Of course... I should probably clear military action with Sir Jastus before we try anything serious." Stepping away, she returned to the red-haired, armored man at the front of the church. "Who's in charge around here? I need to let them know they've got a new military commander onboard, ready to turn this place around and establish ourselves as a self-sufficient power center in this city. With the full assistance from the Paladin of Ioun the guard told us about out front, we can break the bandit gang's hold on this city. And - I'm ready to get our wounded and dispirited back up into action to contribute to our success. I just need the authorization, and it would be rude of me to take it without permission."

Merellis
2014-08-07, 10:26 PM
The paladin turns towards Tlod with an alarmingly peaceful smile after shaking hands with the one rapidly asserting her hold on the group. "I do not need prayer to guide me into her fold, for Ioun has blessed me with purpose enough. Search out those who would seek to hide knowledge and drag it into the light from the darkness. For knowledge is nothing without the knower."

"She does not need me to speak to her, for my blade, my mind, and that which I find will be good enough to show what she means to me." Faith adjusts her glasses, not even having the grace to blush from such an arrogant way of speaking. She seems completely convinced of her words.

tigerusthegreat
2014-08-07, 10:34 PM
"I am Sir Jastus Priman, Third Stone of the Crimson order of Ioun, and these people have allowed me to make the major decisions here. I will gladly allow you to take the fight to our enemies or gather supplies for us, and in exchange share our shelter and what we have, but do not think you can come in as strangers and order us around."

Sir Jastus Priman is a renowned swordsman. He rose to the rank of third stone very swiftly through prowess in battle. He is also known as a competent military commander and strategist.

Sir Jastus Priman is one of the best swordsman of the era. It is said he is equally good with either hand, but nobody has been able to beat him with the blade in his dominant hand (right), and he has been beaten in tournaments when fighting handicapped with his sword in his left. This is about the only way tournament organizers could make anyone fight him, he is that well known for his skills.

Felhammer
2014-08-08, 12:18 AM
MAS

In a neutral tone, Mas states, "Sir Jastus Priman. You are a renown swordsman and a respected leader. I shall defer to your wisdom in this matter."

Echobeats
2014-08-08, 04:56 AM
Bram whispers back to Mas, Ioun izzn't one of the evil godzz, izz he? Thezze people zzeem very ready to kill otherzz with their zzwordzz. Or izz thizz one of thozze zzituationzz where killing izz the right thing?

I know Ioun is female, but Bram with his appalling Religion check apparently doesn't .

Felhammer
2014-08-08, 10:48 AM
MAS

Mas giggles as she whispers, "Ioun is a good god... Just one that doesn't like to have fun."

GPuzzle
2014-08-08, 11:43 AM
The paladin turns towards Tlod with an alarmingly peaceful smile after shaking hands with the one rapidly asserting her hold on the group. "I do not need prayer to guide me into her fold, for Ioun has blessed me with purpose enough. Search out those who would seek to hide knowledge and drag it into the light from the darkness. For knowledge is nothing without the knower."

"She does not need me to speak to her, for my blade, my mind, and that which I find will be good enough to show what she means to me." Faith adjusts her glasses, not even having the grace to blush from such an arrogant way of speaking. She seems completely convinced of her words.

"Ioun... So she seems to be our leader in this. At least the library is still working, and we still have knowledge - we can rebuild this."

Echobeats
2014-08-08, 02:22 PM
Zzir Jazztuzz, I am honoured to make your acquaintanzzce. I am called Bram. I would join your band of zzurvivorzz, if you will have us... that is, me... and I will zzearch for food or protect what you have already gathered, azz needed. I cannot claim to zzpeak for any of thezze, but...

Bram looks around at the others expectantly.

Sartharina
2014-08-10, 09:22 PM
"Excellent, then. Nice to know this temple's got good leadership, then. I've heard of you before. Probably from my parents," Sartharina said, finally identifying Sir Jastus properly. Returning to the commander, she grinned. "Let's talk strategy. I've got an idea to get this place under control, but I need to ensure I've aligned my goals with yours properly, and get your input. Faith seems capable, worth at least any five others. But, before we can figure out pacifying the bandits, I need to know where we are, and plans for repairing and fortifying the areas under our control, assessing the strength and condition of available personnel..." She seems to stop talking Common, and enthusiastically go entirely into Militarese in excitement.

GPuzzle
2014-08-10, 09:42 PM
"We know we need basic supplies. Bram, you seem to know about the local geography. Want to hel us find a river? Mas can come too. Sartharina, Sir Jastus and Faith probably have a lot to discuss."

Echobeats
2014-08-11, 03:18 AM
I have no more idea where we are than you do, Tlod, but I do know how to find food and water in the wildernezz. Perhaps Zzir Jazztuzz can give uzz an idea of where to zztart looking?

tigerusthegreat
2014-08-11, 11:40 AM
"We've been scavenging the nearby houses for food and other supplies. There are a few fountains and wells in the city that had water, but our scavenging parties have not returned from any of them in the last two days, which probably means the bandits have taken them. We know little of what's beyond the city. We've been trying to survive, not explore."

Echobeats
2014-08-11, 04:19 PM
I zzuggezzt the firzzt zztep izz to zzecure a zzourzce of water. We can lazzt a lot longer without food than without water. Where izz the nearezzt one?

Felhammer
2014-08-11, 05:54 PM
MAS

"I agree with Bram. Water should be the top priority."

Sartharina
2014-08-13, 09:35 PM
"Do we have a map of the city yet? Here's my assesement - If the bandits are stronger and outnumber us, securing our own holdings should be our top priority. First off - we cannot afford useless bodies. We need to get everyone up on their feet and discarding any victim or refugee complexes they may have developed from the tragedy, and turn them into soldiers, laborers, or managers. Our objective is not to survive, but to thrive." Sartharina explained. "Now - securing water should be our primary objective. I can lead a small offensive force to take out any local defenders, but we'll need guards to reinforce what we take, or we'll just lose it all again. Permission to rally the wounded and hopeless? We'll need to take stock of what their strengths and proficiencies are, as well.

tigerusthegreat
2014-08-14, 09:14 AM
The paladin brings out a map of the local area. It is extremely crude, with large portions not filled in. It looks like the nearest well is to the east, but it is very close to an area where the bandit camp is believed to be. There is a well to the north that is a little further away, but is much further away from the bandits as well.

Echobeats
2014-08-14, 11:33 AM
Bram consults the map. It lookzz azz though the well to the north izz our bezzt bet for now. The exzztra dizztance izz not that great, and we could lozze livezz fighting the banditzz for the well near them. Hazz anyone been zzent there before, and do we know what the zzituation izz?

Felhammer
2014-08-14, 12:10 PM
MAS

Mas studies the map before commenting, "It looks like one of the wells is near the bandits. Two scrolls, one quill, I always say."

Sartharina
2014-08-14, 03:11 PM
"I agree with Mas - I can lead an assault team to secure the well then hit the bandits hard at their camp, strengthening our position and weakening that of our enemies." Sartharina concurred, before looking to the Paladin, and motioning to her banner still standing in the hall between the wounded. And... with your permission, Commander, I believe I can get the wounded to the water as well - as willing-and-able soldiers of their own destinies, not helpless invalids dependent on the charities of others."

Echobeats
2014-08-18, 07:20 AM
Perhapzz the firzzt zztep izz for the four of uzz to scout the well? We should bring waterzzkinzz with uzz.

Sartharina
2014-08-20, 02:05 PM
Sartharina was already on her way back down to the floor. "Sounds good to me - we can scout and give the temple's forces time to mobilize." Turning to address Sir Jastus, she requested, "Commander... can you get the survivors organized and ready to move out by the time we get back?"

Once she was at her banner, she turned and addressed the wounded and refugees with a Big Inspiring Speech, partially praising them for their survival in the face of the adversity, and chastising them for laying around. She singles out the two most promising-looking wounded refugees (Anyone who might have a healing surge, uniform, and/or apparently-positive WIS, CHA, or INT scores), exhorting them to get on their feet and take help get others on their feet as well - And as she spoke her banner would flare up and channel the power of her words throughout the wounded, inspiring them to stand as well.

I thought about writing out a speech, but it's probably better to leave it to the imagination. Anyway - she's using Inspiring Word on two people that look like they might have a healing surge, and either a disciplined background or positive mental attributes. The Healing banner would restore 1 HP to everyone in the area per Inspiring Word that works

Echobeats
2014-08-20, 02:16 PM
Bram listens to the Dragonborn's speech with admiration.

tigerusthegreat
2014-10-14, 06:00 PM
Many of the wounded people are healed by the Dragonborn's efforts, rising to their feet. Some offer to join you on your fight against the bandits, but they are all poorly equipped.

Felhammer
2014-10-15, 12:25 AM
MAS

Mas looks to her buzzing friend and simply states, "Perhaps a few. At least one to serve as a messenger."

tigerusthegreat
2014-10-23, 07:02 PM
Several of the volunteers seem better able to help you and not get in your way. A Tiefling, an Eladrin, and a Human all seem more than capable of handling themselves, though several of the weaker folks might be useful as messengers.

Sir Jastus draws out a map to help visualize the city. (red is bandits, blue is wells, brown is the city walls, black is the main roads, and green is the temple's location)
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/tigerus2004/map1_zpsad565c9d.jpg

Sir Shadow
2014-10-23, 08:22 PM
The Eladrin approaches, a look of severe annoyance etched into his chiseled features. His robes are A pale blue with a grey inseam and the insignia of a storm cloud embroidered over his heart. "I will lend my aid. I grow tired of sitting here with these miserable waifs."

Dacia Brabant
2014-10-24, 09:22 AM
Harald

The blonde, bearded human warrior strides up behind, looking no less annoyed with the situation. His blackened plate armor, which appears severely worn and battered but yet none the worse for wear, suits his disposition.

"Yeah, what the waif said," he grumbled, then turned his attention to the dragonborn. "A fine speech, but it will take more than words to win the day. So, what's the plan?"

GPuzzle
2014-10-24, 01:40 PM
"Ask the general over there. I'm more of a zealot than anything, and the gods ain't awnsering so far."

Sir Shadow
2014-10-24, 03:11 PM
"So long as it takes us away from here, I don't care if the plan involves walking up to a dragon and thumping it on the nose."

Merellis
2014-10-24, 06:43 PM
"You dishonor the wounded and dead with your words" Says the paladin with a cold glare before moving towards the map and giving it a quick look.

"While it is clear the one over here in the southwest is the ideal location as being close to our location and away from the bandits, I do not appreciate just how close to the border it is." Faith's hand drifts to the blade sheathed at her side as she eyes the bandit encampments. "My suggestion would be the ones to the northwest or to the north, if Sartharina here is confident in negotiating with the others in town then I do not see a problem with trying."

"Though, I will not stay my blade should it come to violence. I have a score to settle with them, and comrades that are already buried who deserve these misdeeds known."

Sir Shadow
2014-10-29, 09:19 PM
Squall nearly snorts at the paladin's comment, "I'm not one to waste consideration on the dead." Still he approaches the map and looks it over with a bit of disinterest.

"The one to the east is near a major road, which will make it easier to transport the water once we take it from the bandits. Since it is also closer, it will also be easier to hold." He states it in a very matter of fact way, with little conviction or passion that would indicate he felt strongly about it.

Sartharina
2014-10-29, 11:46 PM
"You may wish to re-think your stance, elf, because you may find yourself joining them sooner than you think," Sartharina growled at Squall. But yes - the plan is to take a strong enough force of able-bodied warriors to the eastern well, and secure it through force or negotiation. While there are no doubt many unsavory bands of brigands, many more may be in the same situation as us, just trying to get what they can to survive."

However, once she got a chance to actually look at the map, she furrowed her brow. "That said - it's probably a better idea to try to expand to the southeastern well instead of the direct eastern well - It's deep in what I assume is either unknown or uncontested territory, but if we can secure it, we can also secure one of the gates out of the city, opening invaluable access to more resources. From there, we can move to take the eastern well.

As for survivors we will encounter - We will request the assistance of all able-bodied survivors we find, and offer security and reasonable access to our resources. If we can, we should seek to subdue and impress any hostile forces. Those that cooperate can earn freedom. Those that continue to resist will be killed.

Any objections to this course of strategy?"

Sir Shadow
2014-10-30, 12:17 AM
The Eladrin merely chuckled, "Such vitriol. I would hate to see how your people hold debates, Dragonborn, if merely shocking your sensibilities can illicit a death threat."

He shrugs, waving it off, "But you present a fair plan... Let's not get ahead of ourselves, though; well first, wall later. Who can say if it is wise to put down roots in these ruins?"

Dacia Brabant
2014-10-31, 09:48 AM
Harald

Harald smirked at the eladrin's reply.

"Is it wise to plant roots anywhere? If we take the gate, don't be surprised if I take the open road. But until then, sure, I'll help."

GPuzzle
2014-10-31, 10:13 AM
"We don't know their positions. I could try to do some scouting ahead when we get there, try to figure out where everyone is. After all, knowledge is, indeed, power. The more we know, the more likely we are to get ahead."