PDA

View Full Version : Let's help out Evocation

ngilop
2014-07-29, 01:41 PM
Hey guys, I think we all know how weak evocation is as a school in 3rd ed ( at its derivatives) so.. maybe we can put some work into adding new spells that make it a more attractive option. I'll start it off :)

Force Spiral
Evocation (Force)
Level: Wizard 6th
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 30 ft. Radius Spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex Half
Spell Resistance: Yes

A swirling vortex of energy roars outward from any point within range to a radius of 30 feet. Dealing 2d8 plus 1d8 per 2 levels force damage. Those who fail the reflex save are knocked prone.

spikeof2010
2014-07-30, 04:17 AM
Chilling Cyclone
Evocation (Cold)
Level: Wizard 6th
Area: 30 ft. Cone
Saving Throw: Fortitude Partial

You lay your hands on top of each other, then blow onto your palm, letting out an icy cyclone. Everyone within the area of the cone must make a fortitude save or be slowed, as the spell, for 1 round, and take 2d6 Cold Damage per 3 Caster Levels. If the victim makes the save, they are still slowed, but only take half the damage.

ace rooster
2014-07-30, 06:17 AM
Those are decent (attacking a different save is useful), but I don't see much advantage over a widened fireball with energy substitution. The spell line I would suggest is not actually an evocation line, but abjuration. It is based on the fact that controlling mundane energy should be easier than controlling magical energy that is currently being controlled by somebody else, and that a conjured fire, while hotter than any fire that would naturally exist, is still mundane fire (otherwise it would allow SR).

Mundane energy immunity.
Abjuration
Wiz/Sorc 6, cleric 6 druid 6
components V S M
casting time 1 standard action
Range touch
Duration 10 mins/level
Save will (harmless)
SR yes

The target becomes immune to any non magical energy damage. Supernatural abilities and spells with SR yes are unaffected. Effects blocked include lava, acid, alchemists fire, and the effect of any spell that creates non mundane energy damage, such as the orb line of spells, and any other energy damage spell with SR no.

Mundane energy resistance and protection work similarly. While this is basically a "screw you conjuration", it comes in one level after true seeing, and at the same level as the individual energy immunities.

Eldan
2014-07-30, 06:26 AM
Crushing Cube
Evocation [Force]
Wiz/Sor 5
Range: Medium
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Duration: concentration
Save: reflex negates and fortitude (see text)
SR: no

You create a prison of force around the creature that slowly, but surely moves in, crushing it. If the creature fails an initial reflex save, it becomes trapped. This has the following effects:
The creature must hold it's breath or suffocate.
For the purposes of line of effect and line of sight, the creature is considered to be behind translucent walls of force on all sides. Only effects that do not rely on line of effect or that can penetrate walls of force can affect it. The same is true for effects cast by the creature on other targets.
The creature may not move from its position, unless it success on a strength check opposed by your caster level check.
Every turn, the creature must succeed on a fortitude save or take 4d6 damage, half of which is force damage and half of which is bludgeoning damage, which is considered to be magical for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction and affecting incorporeal creatures.

VoxRationis
2014-07-30, 09:56 AM
I don't think the way to help out the evocation school is to contribute to the general power creep. I think it would be better to remove the competing spells.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-07-30, 10:17 AM
Force Spiral and Chilling Cyclone should have damage caps. As is customary with most spells.

Anyway ...

Permeable Wall of Force
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Range: Short (25ft + 5ft/2 levels)
Effect: Creates a one-sided, 10ft by 10ft, Wall of Force.
Duration: 5 rounds
Saving Throw: None
Spell resistance: No

You create a 10ft by 10ft Wall of Force, which functions like the spell Wall of Force, except it's duration and dimensions are as above. However, it only blocks things from one direction. Anything else coming from the opposite direction passes through normally. This includes spells, projectiles, creatures etc. For example, if you make the wall face north, then objects can pass through from the south, but can not turn around and go back through the north.

^^This might be overpowered by I'll let other people decide.

illyahr
2014-07-30, 10:51 AM
First you need to clearly define what Evocation actually is. For example, the many spells that should be evocation, but aren't.

I group spells into opposing pairs as follows:

Abjuration - any spell protects the caster (blocking, dispelling, negating, etc.)
Necromancy - any spell that manipulates the target's life (cure spells would be necromancy)

Conjuration - any spell that calls forth an object or creature
Evocation - any spell that calls forth an event or reaction (I'm looking at you, orb of X spells)

Enchantment - any spell that layers magic on a target to change a part of it
Transmutation - any spell that uses magic to alter the target itself

Illusion - any spell that creates false sensations or hides something
Divination - any spell that reveals the truth of something

Now there will be a few exceptions, but this would generally fix some of the balance as a lot of what should be evocation was shunted into other schools. For example, disintegrate should be an evocation spell, not transmutation, as it creates an event (destroys molecular cohesion). The only reason it changes the target's form is as a direct result of the event (complete loss of molecular cohesion makes cells fall apart)and not the event itself.

Thoughts?

ngilop
2014-07-30, 01:47 PM
Mighty Shock
Evocation (Electricity)
Level: Wizard 9th
Target: One Creature
Saving Throw: Fortitude Half

A spray of charged magic assaults a single target within range, dealing 1d10 points of electricity damage per level.

Sundering
Evocation (Force)
Level: Wizard 8th
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 10 ft. Radius Spread
Saving Throw: Fortitude Half

The area around the center of the spell is ravaged by violent energy. All within take 1d4 points of force damage per every 2 levels and are staggered for 1 round per level. A successful save halves the damage and staggers for 1 round.

Spells having random caps really make no sense to me in 3rd ed. While in 2nd ed it did as spell damage as opposed to hit points was closer together. how in the world can you think the same now that HP has at least triple, damage remained the same, and energy reistance in taken into account? while caps are good for maybe up to 5th level spels really 6th and up I feel, do not need caps.

As for how I see the schools, I subscribe to the older editions what the schools are, so it snot just Evocation.. its Invocation/Evocation, and yes all the orb spells should be included as well as the power word: X spells as well as the prismatic spells (which of course are also shared with abjuration)

In 3rd ed they semi got rid of the invocation part, and gave conjuration all the goodies inv/evo had in previous editions, because according to WoTC summoning things Is sooo much weaker than doing Xd6 in Y shape with Z damage type ( and completely ignoring the HP and resistance creep)

illyahr
2014-07-30, 01:51 PM
In 3rd ed they semi got rid of the invocation part, and gave conjuration all the goodies inv/evo had in previous editions, because according to WoTC summoning things Is sooo much weaker than doing Xd6 in Y shape with Z damage type ( and completely ignoring the HP and resistance creep)

Like how monks are overpowered and sorcerer's need all the help they can get? :smallamused: