PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Advice for combat rogue build: 5 pointy ends

MartianInvader
2014-07-29, 03:31 PM
TL;DR: I think I've got a build that gets 7 attacks, at an average 15 damage each, at level 7. I'm looking for advice/critiques on it.

I've never played pathfinder before, and was invited into a game that starts at level 1. I've got an idea for a rogue build, and I'm hoping to get feedback/advice on it. I call it "5 pointy ends" after an old Calvin and Hobbes comic (http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2009/01/03#.U9fnlnWx3UY).

The Build: We start with a tiefling rogue with the Maw or Claw alternate racial trait, taking a bite attack (and, for fun, Prehensile Tail). At levels 1 and 2 we take the two-weapon fighting feat and weapon finesse rogue talent, so we now have 3 attacks, albeit at -2/-2/-5 when used together since a natural attack counts as secondary when used with weapon attacks. At level 3 these 3 attacks are all eligible for an extra 2d6 sneak attack damage.

The fun happens at levels 4 and 5, which we use to take two levels of ranger. This gives us two key ingredients:

1) The natural weapon combat style, which lets us take Aspect of the Beast as a bonus feat, giving us two claw attacks. These would be treated as secondary and be at -5 if used in the same full attack as a weapon, but we now have 3 natural attacks (claw/claw/bite), which means we can take the Multiattack feat and bring the penalty down to -2.

2) Proficiency in martial weapons, in particular blade boots. Blade boots use your feet, which means we can use them in the same full attack as our claw-claw-bite. They are light, which means we can use TWF by wielding one on each foot and only suffer a -2 on our attacks. Blade boots have the drawback that when they're out, you treat normal terrain as difficult terrain, and difficult terrain as impassible. We can overcome the former problem by installing two boot blades in a pair of feather-step slippers, which let you ignore effects of difficult terrain. Actual difficult terrain can still pose a problem since it becomes impassible, so maybe we'll also install an armor spike or something for fights where there's a lot of difficult terrain and just not use our blade boots in those situations.

So now we've got 5 attacks at level 5, all at a mere -2 when used together, and they all are eligible for +2d6 sneak attack damage. Not bad! Every two rogue levels we take after this adds another d6 sneak attack damage to each attack, so we're taking rogue levels from here on out. At levels 6 and 7, we'll probably take the Weapon Training rogue talent for our boot blades and then Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, which means we'll get another iterative attack with each boot (at -5 each).

So at level 7, our full attack has 7 attacks: 2 claws for 1d4 (at -2 attack in a full attack), bite for 1d6 (-2), and 4 boot blade attacks for 1d4 (2 at -2 and 2 at -5). These 7 attacks are all eligible for an extra 3d6 sneak attack damage, so if we're flanking at the start of the turn, we can deal a potential 6d4 + 22d6 + 6 * (str bonus) damage, which with my planned 14 strength, would average to 104 damage. Eventually, when Greater TWF comes online at level 13, we get another attack with each boot for a total of 9 attacks, each with an extra 7d6 sneak attack damage. That's a potential 6d4 + 64d6 + 7.5 * (str bonus) damage, or 254 average damage if the attacks all hit.

Making the Most of it: We'll want to make sure we have plenty of chances to use these full-sneak-attacks. Stealth and feinting won't cut it here, since they typically only give you precision damage on your first attack. Here are some strategies we can use to get the most out of this build (I'm thinking levels 5-7 here, but ideas for higher levels are appreciated):

-Flanking. Obviously, if we can flank we can get the full-round sneak attack in. Moving with acrobatics to avoid AOOs will help here.
-Wand of darkness + dimmer dust. Used indoors, dimmer dust reduces lighting to dim light in a 30-foot radius area. If we zap ourselves with a wand of darkness before or during combat, that means we'll bring the lighting to total darkness within the dimmer dust area, blinding anyone without darkvision. When you're blinded you lose your dex bonus to AC and thus can be sneak attacked. Since Tieflings have darkvision, we can sneak attack all day in this darkness.
-Fungal stun vials: Against tightly-grouped opponents, we can pull out a fungal stun vial with our tail as a swift action, toss it into the middle of them, and get a decent chance that one of them will be stunned for two rounds. We can then use our move action to walk up next to that opponent, setting up the full-round attack for the following turn.
-Flash powder: Flash powder only blinds for 1 round, so we can't use it ourselves for a full attack on the next turn, but we could hand it out to allies and beg them to use it. Similar for shadowcloy, when the wand of darkness or dimmer dust is in effect.

How can I tune/complete this build? So, what do you guys think? Can I DO this, or did I make a rules mistake? If this is all legal, I still have an unspent feat at level 3; what should I use it for? Is there another way to get the claws/boot blades without dipping, so we get more sneak attack damage? How can I best deal with difficult terrain? And what should I do in future levels?

Here are some of my ideas for what to take past level 7:

-Outflank: If the party composition ends up giving a lot of flanking chances, this feat would be a great way to boost our attack rolls.
-Improved Two-Weapon Feint: By going for improved two-weapon feint, we can replace our first attack with a feint that would give all our remaining attacks sneak-attack damage, even without a situation that grants sneak attack. This synergizes well since bluff is a rogue class skill and Tieflings get a +2 bonus to it.
-Criticals: Attacking 7, 8, or 9 times gives you a 30.1%, 33.6%, or 36.9% chance of rolling a natural 20, respectively. This makes taking critical-related feats viable. Blinding critical seems especially tempting.
-Head Butt: It takes 3 feats to get, but the third-party head butt ability would give us yet another natural attack that can get sneak attack damage, although it will deal some blowback damage if used, and a GM may rule that it can't be used in conjunction with a bite.

6 pointy ends? One last note is that we could do this build with a kobold, taking the Dragonmaw trait for the bite attack and spending the 3rd-level feat on Tail Terror, which would give us another natural attack. We could even drop the second ranger level and take Aspect of the Beast with the Combat Trick rogue talent, so we'd get to 8 sneak attacks with 4d6 bonus damage each at 8th level, and things get more ridiculous as you gain levels from there. The darkvision tricks would still work, and if we went for Dragon Paragon we would get a fly speed that could help overcome the difficult terrain issue. I chose not to do this myself, as I prefer a Tiefling thematically, as well as the better stats and extra damage from non-small weapons.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-07-29, 05:34 PM
A couple of things to consider. First off, you can take the Adopted trait and combo it with Tusked to gain a Bite Attack. Combo it with your Maw or Claw racial trait to have a Claw/Claw/Bite combo right at the start.

If you choose to combo weapon attacks with natural attacks, then all natural attacks become "Secondary" attack with a -5 penalty to the attack roll. During the early levels you'll be better off not making those weapon attacks.

MartianInvader
2014-07-29, 06:56 PM
Wow, thanks, Adopted is an awesome trait! I think I'd rather use it to get some claws via Tengu or another race, however, since the Tusked bite attack is only 1d4 and the Tiefling Maw attack is 1d6.

That means I won't need to dip any ranger levels, and can just use the extra feat to take proficiency in boot blades. Once I take the multiattack feat, secondary natural attacks only take a -2 penalty, and I can get it at level 4 with a rogue combat trick talent. So by taking only rogue levels, that's another 1d6 damage per sneak attack, which means I can get up to a potential 6d4 + 29d6 + 6 * (str bonus) damage at level 7, for an average 128.5 damage across all attacks.

grarrrg
2014-07-29, 08:10 PM
Anywho...
Half-Orc for Race, you can take the Tooth Alt-Trait for a Primary Bite.
Being Half-Orc means you are also Half-Human and can take the Racial Heritage feat to count as a Kobold. Since you are now part Kobold you can take the Tail Terror feat and get a Secondary Tail attack (the fact that you don't have a tail doesn't seem to be an issue).

1 level of White-Haired Witch gets a Primary Hair attack.

2 levels of aforementioned Ranger for 2 Primary Claw attacks.

I'm not sure if you can TWF with 2 Blade Boots.
"Benefit: You can use a blade boot as an off-hand weapon."
But in order to have an Off-Hand weapon you must also have a Main-hand weapon, and it doesn't say you can Main Hand them as a weapon (there's also the logistics issue of trying to do 6+ flying kicks in 1 round....).

But you can always use a Dwarven Boulder Helm as your Main-hand weapon (even with no hands), so you still get 2 "hands" of Weapon attacks.
Sadly, there is no way to Multi-weapon Fight unless you actually have 3+ arms, so 2 "hands" of weapons is the limit.

Bite/Claw/Claw/Hair/Tail/Head/Boot/Head/Boot/Head/Boot/Head

Also, Sneak Attack is all well and good for damage, but you still need to hit your targets, and with at least 6 attacks at Full Bab-2, every single Bab counts at least times-6. Ranger is good not only for the Claws, but for the Bab boost as well (and with 4 or more Full Bab levels you get to 16 Bab for that last Main-Hand attack).

Alternate options include:
Helm of the Mammoth Lords, gives a Gore attack
Ragebred Skinwalker, their shapeshifting power gives you a choice of a Gore or 2 Hoof attacks, a Feat lets you get both.

We could even drop the second ranger level and take Aspect of the Beast with the Combat Trick rogue talent

Still need 2 levels of Ranger.
You have to HAVE a Ranger Combat style before you can count as having a Ranger Combat style.
Same reason you cannot take 'Extra Rogue Talent' at level 1, you don't have any Talents at level 1.

Snowbluff
2014-07-29, 08:28 PM
OKay, does it have to be rogue?

Giet your Claw Claw Bite. (3)

Get a manufactured weapon. (3 from BAB)

TWF chain (3 from feats).

Unarmed Strike with medusa's wrath as your off hand. (2)

11 attacks if you dip some monk. Just make the target flatfooted for SA. Ninja or Vivisectionist would be better.

avr
2014-07-29, 08:33 PM
A rogue 5 / ranger 2 has a BAB of +5 and isn't eligible for Improved TWF. If I misunderstood and it's rogue 4 / ranger 3 or similar never mind, carry on.

Installing boot blades in slippers & not having the slipper fall off in combat sounds a little tricky.

LunaLovecraft
2014-07-29, 08:40 PM
I think TWF would apply to the boots, the only thing I see is that is only granting you 3 attacks with the boots.

You get the first attack with one boot, the second one with the same boot, and then your third attack is from the TWF boot. So all in all you're still only getting three attacks from that, not the four.

Plus it seems as if the intention is that the blade boots together count as a weapon, although RAW it doesn't seem that way.

AmberVael
2014-07-29, 08:47 PM
A couple of things to consider. First off, you can take the Adopted trait and combo it with Tusked to gain a Bite Attack. Combo it with your Maw or Claw racial trait to have a Claw/Claw/Bite combo right at the start.

If you choose to combo weapon attacks with natural attacks, then all natural attacks become "Secondary" attack with a -5 penalty to the attack roll. During the early levels you'll be better off not making those weapon attacks.

Wow, thanks, Adopted is an awesome trait! I think I'd rather use it to get some claws via Tengu or another race, however, since the Tusked bite attack is only 1d4 and the Tiefling Maw attack is 1d6.

That means I won't need to dip any ranger levels, and can just use the extra feat to take proficiency in boot blades. Once I take the multiattack feat, secondary natural attacks only take a -2 penalty, and I can get it at level 4 with a rogue combat trick talent. So by taking only rogue levels, that's another 1d6 damage per sneak attack, which means I can get up to a potential 6d4 + 29d6 + 6 * (str bonus) damage at level 7, for an average 128.5 damage across all attacks.

The naming scheme is unfortunate here- Adopted doesn't give you racial traits (like Maw or Claw), it gives you race traits. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/race-traits) You can see in the Adopted page (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/social-traits/adopted) that it links to that very specific list of Traits related to race and refers to that rather than the rather more broad and powerful list of "abilities possessed by races."

MartianInvader
2014-07-30, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys for all the tips! I think it's obvious I messed up my BAB calculations. I'm going to try putting this together again, maybe with a kobold or the half-human-half-orc-half-kobold grarrrg suggested.

It's a little sad we can't get the claws without dipping; that would have been awesome.

I'm a little wary about the Dwarven Boulder helm, because it's an exostic weapon and so costs a precious feat to gain proficiency. Also, it may be a hard-sell to use it with a bite attack (or hair attack), as the rules state you can't use a natural attack and a weapon with "the same limb".

The reason I'm trying to focus as many levels in rogue as possible is to maximize the sneak attack damage. 11 attacks that do 2d6 each aren't nearly as good as 7 attacks that do 5d6 each.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-07-30, 07:27 PM
The naming scheme is unfortunate here- Adopted doesn't give you racial traits (like Maw or Claw), it gives you race traits. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/race-traits) You can see in the Adopted page (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/social-traits/adopted) that it links to that very specific list of Traits related to race and refers to that rather than the rather more broad and powerful list of "abilities possessed by races."

Tusked is a Race Trait found in Orcs of Golarion. Toothy is the Alternate Racial Trait that's available to Half-Orcs. Basically, there are multiple ways for a half-orc to pick up a bite attack. The Race Trait can be picked up by anybody who uses Adopted.

grarrrg
2014-07-30, 07:28 PM
I'm a little wary about the Dwarven Boulder helm, because it's an exostic weapon and so costs a precious feat to gain proficiency.

Feat schmeat.
Heirloom Weapon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/equipment-traits/heirloom-weapon) Trait gets you Proficiency with any Weapon, and a couple side bonuses to boot.

Also, it may be a hard-sell to use it with a bite attack (or hair attack), as the rules state you can't use a natural attack and a weapon with "the same limb".

BAH! Head attacks are exempt from such non-sense, BEHOLD! THE TURTLE! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFIE6s4rSrI)
THE TURTLE gets around NINE Head-attacks per round, you're only looking for, what, 4 per round? maybe 5?

The reason I'm trying to focus as many levels in rogue as possible is to maximize the sneak attack damage. 11 attacks that do 2d6 each aren't nearly as good as 7 attacks that do 5d6 each.

I agree on the Sneak thing, but accuracy is important too, and you can still pile plenty of Sneak dice onto the build.

Snowbluff
2014-07-30, 07:28 PM
Why not a vivisectionist? More natural attacks and sneak attack.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-07-31, 07:45 AM
As always, Vivisectionist is the better Rogue in my opinion. I'm going to second Snowbluff's thought. The only complication with the Natural Attack scheme is if you opt to gain your Natural Attacks via Mutagen. In this case, you'll need to have 1 hour breaks between major encounters in order to brew up a new Mutagen.

Feral Mutagen nets you two 1d6 Claws and one 1d8 Bite. You can also pick up the Tentacle Discovery for some extra Natural Attacks, though they'll be secondaries.

You can also Stack Beastmorph with Vivisectionist to start gaining the benefits of Beast Shape (in addition to the normal benefits) on your Mutagen around level 6.

Shinken
2014-07-31, 08:11 AM
Improved Unarmed Strike could possibly replace the dwarven helmet or the blade boots.
You don't even need to spend a feat on it - with a deep red sphere (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones/deep-red-sphere-ioun-stone) and a wayfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/wayfinder-standard). With a cracked stone, it will cost you only 700gp.

grarrrg
2014-07-31, 10:08 AM
The only complication with the Natural Attack scheme is if you opt to gain your Natural Attacks via Mutagen. In this case, you'll need to have 1 hour breaks between major encounters in order to brew up a new Mutagen.

This is where Master Chymist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/master-chymist) shines.
Once you hit Alchemist 7 dip _1_ level in Master Chymist and you get TWO Mutagen-free Mutates per day.

You can also pick up the Tentacle Discovery for some extra Natural Attacks, though they'll be secondaries.

Tentacle, by RAW does NOT (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9rc5) act like a Tentacle.
"The tentacle does not give the alchemist any extra attacks or actions per round"
It is not Primary, it is not Secondary. It can ONLY be used 'in place of' one of your existing attacks.

It's a stupid as all hell restriction, and I see no reason NOT to allow it to function as a Secondary, but by RAW it's junk.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-07-31, 12:38 PM
Tentacle, by RAW does NOT (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9rc5) act like a Tentacle.
"The tentacle does not give the alchemist any extra attacks or actions per round"
It is not Primary, it is not Secondary. It can ONLY be used 'in place of' one of your existing attacks.

It's a stupid as all hell restriction, and I see no reason NOT to allow it to function as a Secondary, but by RAW it's junk.

Thanks for the clarification! That's quite dumb actually.