PDA

View Full Version : Force Fate (Wizards online Content)

Weyroc
2014-07-29, 05:26 PM
Force Fate
Clairsentience (Wis)
Level: Psion 5
Display: Me, Vi
Manifestation Time: See text
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 9

Force fateforces a single creature within range to reroll a saving throw, attack roll, or skill check, and use the worse of the two rolls as the result.

You can manifest this power quickly enough to gain its benefits in a clutch situation. If you use the power during your turn, it's a free action for you, just like a quickened power. You also can manifest this power when it isn't your turn and whenever you would normally make a saving throw or ability check. No matter when you manifest the power, it counts toward the normal limit of one quickened power per round.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130531114447/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pse/20031024a

My DM has a specific set of books allowed, and the group is allowed to vote a la carte on anything else they want from other sources. This is "Force Fate" from Mind's Eye, an online supplement for psionics.

Is it good? Bad? I'd like to make an actually informed decision

deuxhero
2014-07-29, 05:52 PM
At the very least you need to update it a bit, as it seems to have been made before swift actions were invented.

Psyren
2014-07-29, 07:33 PM
Indeed it was, because this is from (eww) 3.0 psionics. Note also the ridiculously broken ability to force enemies to reroll their saves, attacks and skills with no save allowed, or the ability to give yourself a natural 20 whenever you like.

Anyway, should your DM actually let you get away with this, to update it you simply need to make the manifesting time "1 immediate action." This would allow you to dump all that extra text (everything after the word "result.")

I'll stress once again though that with no saving throw this thing is far too powerful, and hails from the kind of edition where haste let spellcasters cast an extra spell every round.

Darkweave31
2014-07-29, 10:35 PM
Compare to another reroll ability like the luck domain power. This one can be used more times per day but offensively instead of defensively. Rerolls are powerful, but it honestly depends on the level of play within your group. I'd say bring it to a vote and if it turns out to be too powerful, drop it for something else.

EDIT: Also consider, if it's fair game for you it's fair game for the DM. Consider whether you'd want to be on the receiving end first. That should tell you whether it's too good or not.

Sith_Happens
2014-07-30, 02:26 AM
Assuming you update it to be an immediate action, it's a slightly improved offensive-only Alter Fortune with no XP cost but two spell/power levels higher. That sounds balanced to me.

Psyren
2014-07-30, 04:41 AM
Assuming you update it to be an immediate action, it's a slightly improved offensive-only Alter Fortune with no XP cost but two spell/power levels higher. That sounds balanced to me.

Alter Fortune doesn't force them to take the lower roll though, it forces them to take the second roll (which can actually be higher.) So you can end up worse off by using it. That and the XP cost discourage spamming it.

This, there is no reason not to use every chance you can because the worst case scenario is that they roll the same number.

Hazrond
2014-07-30, 04:58 AM
Alter Fortune doesn't force them to take the lower roll though, it forces them to take the second roll (which can actually be higher.) So you can end up worse off by using it. That and the XP cost discourage spamming it.

This, there is no reason not to use every chance you can because the worst case scenario is that they roll the same number.

not really, it seems like the thing that is saved for when you NEED them to fail because if you use it left and right you will burn your PP pretty fast will you not? :smallconfused:

Psyren
2014-07-30, 06:19 AM
not really, it seems like the thing that is saved for when you NEED them to fail because if you use it left and right you will burn your PP pretty fast will you not? :smallconfused:

Not necessarily - you can actually save more PP in the long run by getting them to fail a nasty save and not having to worry about them for the rest of the fight. Consider that you can even use this instead of augmenting a power's save DC to make sure it is unbeatable and it's more or less a wash.

Add in the lack of XP cost and I'm pretty iffy on this one. Though "Change Fate" from the same link is even worse.

Sith_Happens
2014-07-30, 10:24 PM

If you're using Alter Fortune offensively it's because the target rolled high, and therefore the reroll is more likely to be lower than higher already.