PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Brainstorm for Paladin build

pilvento
2014-07-29, 06:02 PM
Friends, im stuck looking for new ideas to make this paladin build shine. Its diferent than others cause in my group we are now using base clases that cap at lvl 10. non full casting clases got a powerup and now the paladin looks kinda like this.

The character build must start with 10 lvls in this paladin class. In 10 lvls i get:

full bab
Turn undead as cleric.
Smite evil (can use turn undead for uses)
1 cleric domain
spellcasting/day as a bard of the same lvl.
no mount
bonus feats: weapon focus, specialization, greater focus, greater specialization, supremaci. Deity favored weapon.

I am wondering about a good feat selection besides battle blesing, power attack, leap attack. I need to fill the role of frontline fighter since the other members are a warlock/rogue, a bard and an artificer.

We will be playing a long campaign in eberron setting for the first time so extra points if we manage to use stuff from those sources. I dont want to play warforged and I want to be a good guy, Im deciding my deity as well.

We can all books but ToB, and psionics. Thaks for your help, show me what you can come up with. We start at lvl 6 and end at 15. (or 20 if it all goes well)

Flickerdart
2014-07-29, 06:17 PM
No mount? That's disappointing, the mount is amazing.

Anyhow, take a look at some Devotion feats from Complete Champion (Travel Devotion and Law Devotion are very nice). You can trade out a Cleric domain for an extra Devotion, so get one for free if you can.

Also consider Divine Might from Complete Warrior. Charisma to damage for a whole round is not too shabby.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-29, 06:29 PM
So you have to start the build with Paladin 10, but it caps at 10 and doesn't go any higher, so you can't take more than ten levels of it?

Consider making the character a Dragonborn of Bahamut from Races of the Dragon, using the heart aspect for a breath attack and the feat Entangling Exhalation from that same book. You'll be able to keep multiple opponents debuffed and they'll be more likely to focus on you instead of slowly moving around you to reach your other party members. You can put that on a Warforged and it would look like a robotic dragon, you would even keep the living construct subtype and everything that comes with it and can still take adamantine body and other warforged-specific feats. You can even get the feats Dragon Wings and Improved Dragon Wings also in that same book to be able to fly, and as a living construct you'll still be immune to fatigue. This also gives you a dive attack, which you can't combine with Leap Attack but it automatically doubles your charging damage, plus you can cast Rhino's Rush and double your damage again (triple damage with multiplier stacking). Bahamut's favored weapon is a heavy pick, and I'd probably pick the Luck domain.

I'd normally recommend Cloistered Cleric 1/ Paladin 19 for a 20-level build, trade your Paladin turn undead ability for the Divine Counterspell ACF in CM, and get the feat Divine Defiance in FCII which you can power with your Cleric turn undead uses. Ideally you would want the Inquisition domain from Cleric, along with Knowledge Devotion and probably Law Devotion. Cleric is really only there for tons of base skill points, domains and domain feats, and the turn undead ability to power Divine Defiance. Without that Divine Counterspell still requires you to ready an action every time you want to use it, but Divine Defiance makes it so you can use it whenever you want to without sacrificing your normal actions.

For yet another alternative, consider getting the Sun domain from Paladin and taking Radiant Servant in CD and Morninglord in PGtF. That will make you amazing at destroying undead and light effects, though you wouldn't be able to use the empowered/maximized healing from Radiant Servant as it only affects spells cast from domain spell slots. Make the character an Illumian from Races of Destiny with the Bright Sigil feat so you can make a Daylight effect at will, which should benefit from all the increased light radius effects from those prestige classes. Depending on how your group interprets the Swift Concentration skill trick in CS, you may be able to choose to use that when you activate that daylight effect, and as long as it remains active it will be a swift action to maintain every round, though many believe that this skill trick only affects a single round's concentration.

pilvento
2014-07-29, 07:05 PM
I like the dragonborn idea, specialy now after I read the eberron adaptation (dragonborn of eberron).

I prefer to go human rather than warforged and grab the extra feat. Entangling Exhalation is an excelent tactical choice to keep foes in place like you said.

Im not sure about going all the way with the wings feat chain, Improved wings takes a feat just like Leap Attack does, how does a Dive Attack works exactly? can I do a dive charge in the same turn combat starts if im not fliying?

If we stay with the dragonborn build. What PrC would you sugest? I want to have full bab if posible.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-29, 08:16 PM
I like the dragonborn idea, specialy now after I read the eberron adaptation (dragonborn of eberron).

I prefer to go human rather than warforged and grab the extra feat. Entangling Exhalation is an excelent tactical choice to keep foes in place like you said.

Im not sure about going all the way with the wings feat chain, Improved wings takes a feat just like Leap Attack does, how does a Dive Attack works exactly? can I do a dive charge in the same turn combat starts if im not fliying?

If we stay with the dragonborn build. What PrC would you sugest? I want to have full bab if posible.

A Dragonborn doesn't get to keep anything from the base creature except size, movement modes, ability score adjustments, subtypes, and level adjustment. A Human Dragonborn loses the bonus feat and bonus skill points, it's actually the worst race to use because you get absolutely nothing from it.

Do you have to stop taking Paladin after the 10th level?

pilvento
2014-07-29, 08:57 PM
I want to enter a PrC cause its better than straight paladin. But i can keep geting paladin lvls, it only advances spells and smite tho. I can get that from fist of raziel for example. I like the idea of a PrC that defines the concept of my character.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-29, 09:33 PM
I want to enter a PrC cause its better than straight paladin. But i can keep geting paladin lvls, it only advances spells and smite tho. I can get that from fist of raziel for example. I like the idea of a PrC that defines the concept of my character.

In that case, consider getting the Sun domain with Radiant Servant (of Pelor or any sun god) and/or Morninglord (of Lathander or any sun god). You'll need Extra Turning for Radiant Servant, but it's well worth even a single level. You'll need Improved Turning for Morninglord but it gets tons of class features and the classic, "I stand for the light!" flavor. Neither gets full BAB, but if you stop playing at level 15 you'll never see a fourth iterative attack anyway, otherwise you'll still get that +16 BAB before 20th.