PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Formian ideas and suggestions (PEACH)

2014-07-29, 07:08 PM
In my opinion, there are way too few Formians for their place as the avatar of LN, not to mention as an amazing planar plot hook. So, I need some ideas for some of them. Just to be clear, I'm not looking for what they did with demons (want an aristocrat? There's a demon for that. Want an undead? There's an (ex-) demon for that). Real ants don't work that way, neither should Formians. I need some more strict class roles that are concrete and versatile at the same time, like the ones in the Monster Manual. Here's what I have so far:

1. Nurse Formian, to take care of young (obviously, we need stats for the young and the pupae as well, but no matter)

2. Drone Formain, for obvious reasons

3. Scout Formain, also for obvious reasons

4. Heavy lifting Formian, which is self-explanatory (still need some ideas for this one's abilities)

5. Hunter Formian, to look for fugitives

6. Trapper Formian, for, well, traps

7. Suicide Soldier Formain, for helping destroy high-power opponents (may use as trap instead of monster)

8. Mount Formian, for giving Formians something to ride on ( also available with wings)

9. Transport Formian, for moving stuff around quickly (also available with wings)

10. Archer Formain, for ranged weapon expertise

VoxRationis
2014-07-29, 07:15 PM
I think some of these are redundant with the existing formians. The attendant role can be fulfilled by workers or myrmarchs; the drones, I think, were stated to be mechanically identical to myrmarchs in the AD&D MM2. Many castes from Hymenoptera are different from one another mostly in programmed behavior, rather than biology. Ideas from real-life insects would give us:
Trapper (soldier variant that shoots entangling glue)
Suicide Soldier (kills itself to release acid or glue)
Captor (large formian devoted to capturing people alive for use as slaves)

2014-07-29, 07:17 PM
I think some of these are redundant with the existing formians. The attendant role can be fulfilled by workers or myrmarchs; the drones, I think, were stated to be mechanically identical to myrmarchs in the AD&D MM2. Many castes from Hymenoptera are different from one another mostly in programmed behavior, rather than biology. Ideas from real-life insects would give us:
Trapper (soldier variant that shoots entangling glue)
Suicide Soldier (kills itself to release acid or glue)
Captor (large formian devoted to capturing people alive for use as slaves)

Yeah, I'll scrap the attendant, but I really think the drones should at least fly. Maybe I'll just buff the winged warrior a bit and call it a day.

EDIT: The Suicide Soldier and Trapper are good, and the Captor gives me an idea.