PDA

View Full Version : New D&D website

akaddk
2014-07-29, 08:07 PM
http://dnd.wizards.com/

Ugh, I really hate this trend towards tablet oriented website design.

Then again, at least it's navigable by a toddler rather than an expert websearch technician. That's a (sort-of) step in the right direction I suppose.

DrBurr
2014-07-29, 09:27 PM
My only annoyance is the 4e Tools are buried under 8 menus and they've moved their individual urls so I can't just quickly jump to character builder or adventure tools.

Tholomyes
2014-07-29, 09:36 PM

Yeah, I'm not a fan either; I've never once thought to myself "Gee, I wish this site was more tablet oriented". Even on mobile, I consistently request desktop versions of sites, because they're better designed and the layout is just better.

Ilorin Lorati
2014-07-29, 09:39 PM
If the designers knew what they were doing, they'd use CSS @media queries in order to tell the screen size and type, then make adjustments based on that. Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the case.

akaddk
2014-07-29, 09:41 PM
My only annoyance is the 4e Tools are buried under 8 menus and they've moved their individual urls so I can't just quickly jump to character builder or adventure tools.

Ah, looks like I was wrong. You still need to be an expert website search technician to find anything.

So all in all, a **** upgrade as is per usual for WotC's website design team.

AuraTwilight
2014-07-30, 12:26 AM
Well crap.

I know this probably should've been done years ago, but while Wayback Machine is suitable: Does anyone have some sort of downloadable for the entire 3E archive of D&D articles, or anything? It'll suck to do it manually.

DrBurr
2014-07-30, 01:08 AM
Ah, looks like I was wrong. You still need to be an expert website search technician to find anything.

So all in all, a **** upgrade as is per usual for WotC's website design team.

Just another nail in the bury 4e coffin, technically the service still exists because why deny easy money, its just easier to go to dndinsider.com which has all the tools arrange like the old homepage

Morty
2014-07-30, 06:43 AM

At least they're still there. I was afraid they'd got rid of them when I couldn't find them at first.

wolfstone
2014-07-30, 07:11 AM

As I have no ipad, tablet or iphone (I use a tracphone... $7 per month for a device I only use for emergencies is fairly reasonable) the layout sucks. Plus, every time they do this, links to pages take forever to update (assuming they ever actually do so).

Tvtyrant
2014-07-30, 07:44 AM
It looks like all of the old far corners of the world articles are gone. A little insensitive to keep dismembering an edition they tried to kill once already...

rlc
2014-07-30, 05:15 PM
on the plus side, the background looks nice...

Envyus
2014-07-30, 05:24 PM
I personally like the new site better.

rlc
2014-07-30, 06:15 PM
me too, actually. it's more cleaned up.

8wGremlin
2014-08-02, 04:39 PM
Wizards - still American centric as always....

pwykersotz
2014-08-02, 05:34 PM
Wizards - still American centric as always....

Well, they are based in the US after all. I wouldn't expect a German or an Australian company to necessarily begin with full international support...

...but I'm confused and curious. What part of the new site is American centric? Can it not be accessed fully from other countries?

akaddk
2014-08-02, 06:20 PM
Well, they are based in the US after all. I wouldn't expect a German or an Australian company to necessarily begin with full international support...

...but I'm confused and curious. What part of the new site is American centric? Can it not be accessed fully from other countries?
Con-focused OP rewards are a start. There's only one GenCon in Australia, for instance, and it's in a state that is too far away for 2/3 of the country to get to conveniently or at reasonable expense.

pwykersotz
2014-08-02, 06:25 PM
Con-focused OP rewards are a start. There's only one GenCon in Australia, for instance, and it's in a state that is too far away for 2/3 of the country to get to conveniently or at reasonable expense.

Ah, I see. That's lame. :smallfrown:

akaddk
2014-08-02, 06:29 PM
Ah, I see. That's lame. :smallfrown:

Yeah, especially since it means going to Brisbane which, really, nobody actually wants to do unless forced to :smallbiggrin:

Could be worse though. It could be Adelaide...

8wGremlin
2014-08-02, 10:07 PM

Store locations, zip code, Convention support.
In this day and age, not having global support, for a global product is a bit silly.
Look at any of the large long established MMOs, both fantasy and sci-fi, they do way better.

2c

Fable Wright
2014-08-03, 12:57 PM
Well crap.

I know this probably should've been done years ago, but while Wayback Machine is suitable: Does anyone have some sort of downloadable for the entire 3E archive of D&D articles, or anything? It'll suck to do it manually.

It looks like all of the old far corners of the world articles are gone. A little insensitive to keep dismembering an edition they tried to kill once already...

Actually, the old stuff is still there, but you have to do some link reconstruction to get there.

For example, here's (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20031017a) one of the Far Corners of the World pages. To construct the current link there, take the original link (http://dnd.wizards.com/go/fw/20031017a), take the last two segments of it (fw/20031017a), and put them at the end of this: (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/). As an added bonus, once you get into the archived site, all of the links bring you directly to archived pages, rather than 404 URLs.