PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Divine Shenanigans with Chamaleon

ArqArturo
2014-07-29, 10:03 PM
Suppose your character, as a cleric, has access to the skills he needs to take levels in Chamaleon (multiclass, trickery domain, gestalt, etc). You don't advance your own spellcasting, which sucks.

Suppose then, you take Domain Spontaneity with a domain you have access to.

Could you burn spell slots from the divine focus of the Chamaleon to cast Domain spells?.

dextercorvia
2014-07-30, 09:27 AM
Suppose your character, as a cleric, has access to the skills he needs to take levels in Chamaleon (multiclass, trickery domain, gestalt, etc). You don't advance your own spellcasting, which sucks.

Suppose then, you take Domain Spontaneity with a domain you have access to.

Could you burn spell slots from the divine focus of the Chamaleon to cast Domain spells?.

Yes.

This works just as good clerics spontaneously cast prepared spells as cure spells.

Except it also has a clause which states it must be a prepared divine spell. That isn't even in the original.

A good cleric (or a neutral cleric of a good deity) can channel stored spell energy into healing spells that the cleric did not prepare ahead of time. The cleric can "lose" any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower (a cure spell is any spell with "cure" in its name).

In fact, Even if you only have a Cleric 5/Chameleon10, you could use Domain Spontaneity to cast a 5th level domain spell from your chosen domain.

Bonus: You can do this without spending a feat/Turn Undead uses if you take the Spontaneous Domain ACF from PHII. That has the added benefit of not needing to spend a Divine spell (just like the spontaneous healing feature), so you can use it even when in Arcane Focus.

Segev
2014-07-30, 09:31 AM
Perhaps I'm missing something; how is this superior to simply using cleric slots from increased cleric level? What shenanigans are we achieving with this approach that couldn't be done more straightforwardly with straight cleric (or a cleric-advancing PrC)?

Giddonihah
2014-07-30, 10:59 AM
Perhaps I'm missing something; how is this superior to simply using cleric slots from increased cleric level? What shenanigans are we achieving with this approach that couldn't be done more straightforwardly with straight cleric (or a cleric-advancing PrC)?

Perhaps he just wanted to make a Chameleon but had a rules question about interaction?

A level or two of Cleric before entering Chameleon is quite nice for combining DMM with the Chameleons wonky and awesome spell list, and since Chameleons can fill up their spell book with some extremely situational stuff, it could be cool to have a nice domain spell to replace them with. Anyspell would be awesome.

dextercorvia
2014-07-30, 11:19 AM

I think it is Chameleon Shenanigans rather than Cleric Shenanigans. This gives his Chameleon some ability to switch spells on the fly, which it otherwise would not have.

ArqArturo
2014-07-30, 01:53 PM
I think it is Chameleon Shenanigans rather than Cleric Shenanigans. This gives his Chameleon some ability to switch spells on the fly, which it otherwise would not have.

This. I am well aware that a cleric alone can make a Chamaleon look like a quivering fool, however, I do like the Chameleon for its versatility.

I think one of the ways you can get additional Domains and not have problems is with the Paragnostic Apostle.