PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Shifting Weapons

HockeyPokeyBard
2014-07-29, 10:45 PM
Hello gaming gurus.

I'm working on a character, who's mastery of weapons is absolute, but it's incredibly inconvenient to be carrying around 10+ weapons at all times. So I was hoping you learned fellows could point me in the direction of a weapon or item or enchantment that can shift itself into another weapon. Say a spear that becomes a mace, that becomes an axe, that becomes a khopesh etc etc. Officially released content is preferable, as it's easier to get a hold of over a homebrew.

All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hazrond
2014-07-29, 10:55 PM
Hello gaming gurus.

I'm working on a character, who's mastery of weapons is absolute, but it's incredibly inconvenient to be carrying around 10+ weapons at all times. So I was hoping you learned fellows could point me in the direction of a weapon or item or enchantment that can shift itself into another weapon. Say a spear that becomes a mace, that becomes an axe, that becomes a khopesh etc etc. Officially released content is preferable, as it's easier to get a hold of over a homebrew.

All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Well you need two things,
1. one of those rods which have all the different weapons in them (cant remember the name but it had all the various types of weapons that you could switch between by clicking a button)

2. you need the Morphing weapon enchantment from the Magic Item Compendium

3. combine them both and you have every weapon in the game, at will :smallamused:

HockeyPokeyBard
2014-07-29, 11:12 PM
Awesome. and at the low, low proce of 72,000 gp. Still, its pretty cool, and would work well. But is there a cheaper option? Just wondering.

Darrin
2014-07-30, 07:29 AM
As already mentioned, the Morphing property (MIC) is probably what you're looking for.

Also:

Dragonshard Pommel Stone (Forge of War p. 121) can be enchanted with weapon properties, and then attached to any masterwork weapon.

A one-level dip into Warblade gives you Weapon Aptitude as a class ability, which allows you to switch all your weapon-specific feats (Weapon Focus, Exotic Weapon Proficiency, et.c) to different weapons after 1 hour of practice.

HockeyPokeyBard
2014-07-30, 08:20 AM
Yeah, my main problem is with the 70,000 gp needed to get the Rod of Lordly Might. But thanks for the suggestion, i'll look into it.

iTreeby
2014-07-30, 08:59 AM
You could try to use shapesand?

Azoth
2014-07-30, 10:19 AM
Morphing(+1)+sizing(5k)+changeling (2k)+basics (mw/+1(2300))=15,300gp+cost of spear. Make it Metaline as well to change its composition to bypass material DRs for only 39,300gp +cost of spear.

You use sizing to change the spear to the desired size in correspondance to your own then morph it into whatever you want. (A two hander one size too small is a one hander. A one hander a size too small is a light weapon.)

It is a neat little trick I used for a build forever ago.

I am just unclear on the exact raw state of turning it into a bow/crossbow. Some spears are treated as ranged weapons, so ask your DM before going all "My sword, which was originally a spear, now changes into a Composite Longbow!"

paperarmor
2014-07-30, 10:25 AM
If I remember right you can use a Morphing, Sizing, Metaline, Shuriken. Since they are treated as ammunition for crafting special versions of them I think enchanting would count so you get enchant one for 1/50 the cost of a regular weapon.

Darrin
2014-07-30, 10:43 AM
Yeah, my main problem is with the 70,000 gp needed to get the Rod of Lordly Might. But thanks for the suggestion, i'll look into it.

Try the Rod of Surprises (6000 GP, MIC) instead.

Azoth
2014-07-30, 10:49 AM
If I remember right you can use a Morphing, Sizing, Metaline, Shuriken. Since they are treated as ammunition for crafting special versions of them I think enchanting would count so you get enchant one for 1/50 the cost of a regular weapon.

Shuriken don't work. Morphing calls out becoming a melee or thrown weapon of the same size and type. Since shuriken have no statted listing as mele weapons, they do not have a light, one handed, or two handed category.

Now Arrows on the otherhand are called out as being able to be used as improvised daggers. So, we may be able to finagle the morphing sizing metaline arrow into all weapons.

So let's see 39,300/50=786gp.

Gildedragon
2014-07-30, 10:56 AM
Morphing(+1)+sizing(5k)+changeling (2k)+basics (mw/+1(2300))=15,300gp+cost of spear. Make it Metaline as well to change its composition to bypass material DRs for only 39,300gp +cost of spear.

You use sizing to change the spear to the desired size in correspondance to your own then morph it into whatever you want. (A two hander one size too small is a one hander. A one hander a size too small is a light weapon.)

It is a neat little trick I used for a build forever ago.

I am just unclear on the exact raw state of turning it into a bow/crossbow. Some spears are treated as ranged weapons, so ask your DM before going all "My sword, which was originally a spear, now changes into a Composite Longbow!"

You don't need sizing and changeling. One does well enough to change size category.

Andezzar
2014-07-30, 11:05 AM
Shuriken don't work. Morphing calls out becoming a melee or thrown weapon of the same size and type. Since shuriken have no statted listing as mele weapons, they do not have a light, one handed, or two handed category.The morphing property also works with thrown weapons, which shurikens are. Shurikens
can be morphed into other thrown weapons like daggers. A dagger also is a light melee weapon.

@Sizing: Weapon sizes do not work that way in 3.5. That a medium longsword is a greatsword for a small creature is 3.0. In 3.5 a medium longsword is an inappropriately sized longsword for a small creature.

lytokk
2014-07-30, 11:19 AM
Would an intelligent weapon capable of casting alter self do any good here? Just a random thought that popped in when I was reading the thread.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-30, 01:19 PM
I am just unclear on the exact raw state of turning it into a bow/crossbow. Some spears are treated as ranged weapons, so ask your DM before going all "My sword, which was originally a spear, now changes into a Composite Longbow!"MiC also has the various Swordbows and the Axebow. Though I still don't know any way to turn into a bunch of ranged weapons.

The morphing property also works with thrown weapons, which shurikens are. Shurikens can be morphed into other thrown weapons like daggers. A dagger also is a light melee weapon.Nope. Shurikens (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#shuriken) are treated as ammunition for the purposes of making enchanted versions, so morphing wouldn't work.

Weapon sizes do not work that way in 3.5. That a medium longsword is a greatsword for a small creature is 3.0. In 3.5 a medium longsword is an inappropriately sized longsword for a small creature.Treated as a greatsword? No. Treated as a two-handed weapon? Yes. Hence sizing+morphing = any (melee)weapon of any size category.

That said, ask your GM if you can maybe buy a more expensive version that works as a free action; there's a precedent for it with swordbows, which can change between each attack of a full attack. Then ask if you can slap that and sizing (and whatever other enchants, while you're at it) onto an infinite blade guantlet. Then instead of having one weapon that turns into any weapon you like you're literally pulling weapons out of thin air as you hit people with them.

RAW? Not really. But it's perfectly reasonable homebrew that doesn't break anything, IMO.

Andezzar
2014-07-30, 01:39 PM
Nope. Shurikens (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#shuriken) are treated as ammunition for the purposes of making enchanted versions, so morphing wouldn't work.Forgot about that rule. Still there are weapons that are melee weapons as well as thrown weapons. Those can be morphed. The DM has to decide whether this can be used to circumvent the restriction of allowing only the morphing within one weapon category.

Treated as a greatsword? No. Treated as a two-handed weapon? Yes. Hence sizing+morphing = any (melee)weapon of any size category.An inappropriately sized weapon gets a -2 on attacks for each size category removed from the wielder as well as changing the effort to use it.

@metalline: Take Transmuting instead. While the first round of attacks will be subject to DR, all attacks in the next 10 rounds will negate that form of DR. This goes for all DR not only those kinds that are overcome by alchemical silver, cold iron or adamantine.

HockeyPokeyBard
2014-07-30, 07:11 PM
I'm very much liking the ideas here. And as long as I carry the ammunition around, it should be easy to convince my DM that my sword can become a bow. I mean, the bow itself is, in its simplest form, a stick with string attached to it. No problems.

Thanks everyone that has contributed. Your help has all been carefully reviewed. Much appreciated.