PDA

View Full Version : What dnd needs.... Legos....

CyberThread
2014-07-30, 10:06 AM
I swear it up and down .. it is what dnd needs...

Screw the hyper breakable figurines.... D&D needs in theme Lego Characters

With a box
2014-07-30, 10:08 AM
2x2 block = 5x5 feet?

lytokk
2014-07-30, 10:17 AM
judging by my playmat, its actually a 3x3 block. Wouldn't you know the one size of block not available in legos. 4x4 is just too big for a square, only just. But yeah, if you've got the sets, you can build one hell of a dungeon out of legos, also if you've got the time.

bjoern
2014-07-30, 10:26 AM
judging by my playmat, its actually a 3x3 block. Wouldn't you know the one size of block not available in legos. 4x4 is just too big for a square, only just. But yeah, if you've got the sets, you can build one hell of a dungeon out of legos, also if you've got the time.

That would be awesome. I loved legos growing up (still do) now my kids play with them and its just as fun for me still.

Really you could make an awesome dungeon with what's out there now. Just use non-lego minis since the selection of Lego mini figs don't really fit d&d

Leviting
2014-07-30, 10:32 AM
They make one-stud sized microfigures, which could allow much tighter spaces, and the ability for the halfling to actually be smaller than the human, in terms of space taken.

grarrrg
2014-07-30, 10:36 AM
2x2 block = 5x5 feet?

Doesn't work, most Lego Figures have arms.
Arms do not play nice with 2x2 restrictions.

4x4 is your most likely bet. If you could "offset" a 3x3 to only have 2x2 studs in the middle that may work as well. But I don't think Lego makes that type of piece. Best off with 4x4

Lego Heroica is/was a nice start, but it has "super-tiny-micro-micro" figures that use offset 2x2s function as 1x1's.
Picture 1 (http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1156039/heroica-fortaan)
Picture 2 (http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1108280/heroica-fortaan)
(not imbedded for size)

gr8artist
2014-07-30, 10:48 AM
We use Lego minis for our pieces. The booster pack sets they came out with were handy. Gladiators, dwarves, even a minotaur.
Heroics weapons are kinda cool, but the medieval sets are where its at. Medieval, prince of Persia, pirates of the Caribbean, lord of the rings... Perfect.
A 2x2 plate with two of the 2x1 plates with a single stud in the middle works really well as a base.
Sure they get a little crowded in melee, but I use smaller tokens like dice and cardboard for enemies other than recurring bosses.

Seriously though, we need to pitch a DND themed Lego expansion to the company.

Millennium
2014-07-30, 10:51 AM
In any case, if you're not using a 1x1 grid, then you'd need some way to engrave a grid into the pieces (the flat plates, at least; perhaps not so much for the bricks). Keeping track of squares becomes too annoying and error-prone if you don't have some kind of guide in place. But that opens up a new question: how would an engraved grid affect the cost of manufacturing pieces and their durability?

Two special problems here: Lego bricks are made of ABS plastic. If I understand things correctly, ABS doesn't laser-engrave very well. It tends to melt into the engraved area, and since we need the engraved area to be very shallow, the grid may pretty much vanish. That means we'd need to engrave with a blade or stylus, which leads to the second issue:
Lots of places will engrave the sides of Lego bricks, but we need something that will engrave the top of a Lego brick (or plate). The issue here is that Lego bricks have flat sides that are easy to engrave with a stylus, but the top is studded, and the studs are likely to get in the way. That wouldn't be a problem if we could use a laser, but I don't think we can.

lytokk
2014-07-30, 11:08 AM
Maybe instead the grid lines would be 1 peg wide, but flat, as in no pegs. But I've also seen painted bases before where the color varies. The one I'm thinking of was a green base but with a river painted into it. Over time it faded, but we're talking 20 years, and I can still see it. What it needs to be though is flexible to a point where it could be rolled up for transport.

tsroark
2014-07-30, 11:25 AM
Well, it does so happen that there are d&d themed kreo sets, which are the Hasbro equivalent of Lego, with more figure articularion. There are individual figure packs available.

lytokk
2014-07-30, 11:29 AM
Well, it does so happen that there are d&d themed kreo sets, which are the Hasbro equivalent of Lego, with more figure articularion. There are individual figure packs available.

I guess thats why there haven't been and never will be Lego Dungeon and Dragons... Have to get a kreo set at some point and see how well the various pieces link up.

Chronos
2014-07-30, 12:02 PM
To make a grid, just checkerboard the colors of your tiles.

MrBright01
2014-07-30, 12:10 PM
Check my thoughts on this: Legos are ABS plastic. Get an emery board or a narrow file and abrade surface between studs. Spray paint surface one color. When dry, use paper strips or scotch tape to cover a strip of studs at a time, and spray paint lines into a grid. Maybe, when done, a layer of sealant. As I understand it, the lego people leg holes are moderately loose, might still fit.

Or, maybe, use a series of 4x2's of different colors to make a grid, no paint needed

The abrading and spraying think should DEFINITELY work on the people themselves, then just about any hobby paint can be used to customize. I am actually considering doing that for my players in my next live game just for the simplicity of it.

YossarianLives
2014-07-30, 12:24 PM
I also sometimes use minifigures for our characters. Its nice being able to customize what your figure looks like instead of buying overpriced easily breakable figures which barely resemble your character.

Chronos
2014-07-30, 12:45 PM
The abrading and spraying think should DEFINITELY work on the people themselves, then just about any hobby paint can be used to customize. I am actually considering doing that for my players in my next live game just for the simplicity of it.
Um, you are talking about the minifigs, right? Because I'm not sure I'd want to play in your group...

Bronk
2014-07-30, 01:14 PM
Hmm, the Kre-O line seems fairly limited, and not that much different from the medieval themed legos.

I'd want to use regular legos, set in the middle of one of the square 2X2 turntables. I know facing isn't a thing, but I think being able to turn them freely would be a nice touch.

I've seen a lot of capes and backpacks (fitting between the torso and head)... has anyone seen lego wings?

Millennium
2014-07-30, 02:27 PM
Maybe instead the grid lines would be 1 peg wide, but flat, as in no pegs.
That would make the lines easily visible, but it would create weak points when you put bricks and buildings on the plate. That's why I suggested engraving between the studs: assuming that it's possible at all, you could do it without changing the basic makeup of a plate.

What it needs to be though is flexible to a point where it could be rolled up for transport.
...and this is the part where things may become infeasible, I fear. One of the big reasons that Lego works so well for building stuff is that it's manufactured to really tight tolerances. Every brick "knows" (or rather, is built to assume) what's underneath it, and if it's wrong, it won't stick. Flexibility throws these tolerances off.

You could break it up into 10x10 plates (enough for a 5x5 grid) to do something like Dungeon Tiles, though the tiles themselves would be much smaller: just over three inches on a side instead of five. A 60x48 plate (enough for a 30x24 grid: the size of a standard Paizo flip-mat) would be less liable to get lost, at about 19x15 inches.

lytokk
2014-07-30, 03:17 PM
Perhaps shelve the transport problems for now. The only reason I even thought of it was because I'm unfortunately a DM on the go. I never get to game at my own place.

The worry about engraving between studs is that it'll create small weak points that could cause the plate to snap if the whole thing is used on a less than solid base. Think if the plates were down on a carpet as opposed to a solid wood table. I think the painting of basic gridlines between the pegs would be a cheaper and possibly more cost effective method.

Ferronach
2014-07-30, 04:14 PM
Mega Blocks used to make a bunch of dragons and castles and medieval characters (some with horses).

Personally I am much more of a Lego fan but back in the day these were too cool to pass up.

A good note is that the Mega Blocks can sort of be used with the Lego.

toapat
2014-07-30, 05:21 PM
I've seen a lot of capes and backpacks (fitting between the torso and head)... has anyone seen lego wings?

I believe lego has done wings before, but they wont show up often. until Disney commissions a marvel set with Angel from Xmen in it or Warner/DC commissions hawkgirl sets. the only other common source i believe is the yearly Yuel Calender which has a lego angel.

The worry about engraving between studs is that it'll create small weak points that could cause the plate to snap

carving lines into legobricks takes time but doesnt reduce their structure. We are talking about lego, not megablocks.I typically use knives to pry appart legos when they are particularly stubourn and they knurl the edge of the blade more readily then they mark

Millennium
2014-07-30, 07:33 PM
The worry about engraving between studs is that it'll create small weak points that could cause the plate to snap if the whole thing is used on a less than solid base.
As long as the engraving isn't very deep, it shouldn't affect the strength of the plates to any great degree. It doesn't have to be very deep to be visible, especially since the blocks are shiny.

Chronos
2014-07-30, 08:06 PM
Lego has castles and dragons and medieval-themed sets, too. I don't know how they compare to the Mega-Blox ones, but with as many Lego sets as there are, I'd imagine that it's a better selection.

Cybris75
2014-07-31, 12:31 AM
We use Lego minifigs on a normal 25.4mm/1'' playmat.

For bases, we use these:
Minifig 25mm bases (http://www.minifigforlife.com/main.php?P=product&pid=D000006&T=Minifig%2520Display%2520Stand%2520%2528Black%252 9)
(Word of advice: do not use the chrome versions, the studs will crack minifig legs)

For large creatures, we use these:
6x6 plate (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=11213)

For huge and bigger, you need to build the bases yourself.

Lego actually has a nice collection of elements suitable for Fantasy minifigs now. The Kingdoms and Castle (Fantasy Era) lines, and of course the LoTR and Hobbit sets, have given us a lot of useful stuff, from orcs and trolls to elves, dwarves, even wargs, and lots of suitable weapons, armor and mounts.

And of course, building stuff like carts, wagons, houses, dungeon furniture, or just having some rocks or trees on the mat, is really easy.

Edit: Fixed links

MrBright01
2014-08-01, 01:13 PM
Um, you are talking about the minifigs, right? Because I'm not sure I'd want to play in your group...

Rofl. Abrasion and painting is only applied to minifigs and people who deliberately punpun in a otherwise mostly new group of players.

Perhaps shelve the transport problems for now. The only reason I even thought of it was because I'm unfortunately a DM on the go. I never get to game at my own place.

The worry about engraving between studs is that it'll create small weak points that could cause the plate to snap if the whole thing is used on a less than solid base. Think if the plates were down on a carpet as opposed to a solid wood table. I think the painting of basic gridlines between the pegs would be a cheaper and possibly more cost effective method.

I hear the Kragle can help with that.

Bonus points if you don't need the spoiler.

Krazy Glue. See the lego movie, it's better then you might expect.

Talya
2014-08-01, 01:56 PM
Pet peeve:

The plural of LEGO is LEGO. Like the plural of sheep is sheep. You wouldn't say that that shepherd looks after 38 sheeps. So don't say that the set has 916 LEGOs in it. In fact, it's not even grammatically correct to say it has 916 LEGO in it. It has 916 bricks, blocks or pieces. LEGO is a descriptive noun for the product and brand. However, asking your children "Why is there LEGO all over the floor?" is correct. Asking them "Why are there LEGOs all over the floor?" is not. More examples:

"Look at all the LEGO in this store!"
"This LEGO is awesome."
"I broke a peice of LEGO."
"That statue is made entirely of LEGO."

gr8artist
2014-08-01, 03:18 PM
Someone asked for Lego wings. The new(ish) Legend of Chima sets have animal people, and the birds have pretty nice wings. Set's also great for werebeasts.

Kalaska'Agathas
2014-08-01, 07:03 PM
However, asking your children "Why is there LEGO all over the floor?" is correct.

A slight quibble - "Why are there LEGO all over the floor?" would also be correct, in any case where there are multiple sets involved (and knowing children and LEGO, there almost certainly are). However, I would contend that using LEGO as holonym for the bricks, sets, and pieces is well established in vernacular use and is acceptable, and in that sense "LEGOs" is a valid pluralization. So not only would "Why is there LEGO all over the floor?" or "Why are there LEGO all over the floor?" be correct, but so would "Why are there LEGOs all over the floor?" when LEGO is being used holonymously.

As to using LEGO minifigs for characters and sets for building dungeons and such, it's something that several groups I've played with over the years have done. We didn't bother marking our sets with gridlines either - we just figured 2x2 studs was equal to a 5'x5' square and worked it out. It wasn't that much of a hassle to figure out (we even made stencils for spell radius effects and such).

Chronos
2014-08-01, 08:40 PM
The Lego company has said that they prefer to keep "Lego" as the brand, and "Lego bricks" or "Lego pieces" for the individual bits of plastic. Now, ordinarily, I don't much care what companies officially prefer (I'll go on referring to generic gelatin desserts as Jello and facial tissues as Kleenex), but Lego has brought me enough joy over the years that I figure the least I can do is humor them on this.

Snowbluff
2014-08-01, 10:11 PM
I play with legos sometimes. One of my table dudes has a couple of lego chess sets, so we spend a lot of time fighting skeletons.

Jeff the Green
2014-08-02, 04:22 AM
However, asking your children "Why is there LEGO all over the floor?" is correct. Asking them "Why are there LEGOs all over the floor?" is not.

You're confusing a noun whose plural is spelled the same as the singular with an uncountable noun. For example, if there are a bunch of moose lying in my living room, I would say "Why are there moose all over the floor?" Asking "Why is there moose all over the floor?" would imply that a moose has been dismembered and its parts strewn about willy-nilly.