PDA

View Full Version : question about use activated item mechanics

bjoern
2014-07-30, 11:59 AM
I'm trying to make a use activated item that uses the spell wield skill. According to the charts its spell level (1) x caster level (1) x 2000gp x 2 since the duration is min/level. So that's 4000gp

As far as activation, I'd consider it a spell effect so a standard action to use. Useable any number of times per day.

That being said, why would anyone put a straight skill bonus on an item when they can get over twice the bonus for the same money and have it apply to any skill?

Am I doing that all correct?

MrBright01
2014-07-30, 12:17 PM
I am assuming the DM will ignore the fluff limitations (Magic of Faerun, Initiate of Gond) and that it is a 3.0 game (I personally, as a DM, would almost never allow a 3.0 anything that was not rebuilt as 3.5). As far as I see, your math is correct, and it would work great for skills where you 1) Don't want to use in combat and 2) Never need in a hurry. I can see an item a thief carries to trigger right before they go for the big Pick Pocket roll or something.

Looking around, it looks like they redid it as a 3.5 spell, granting only a +5 bonus.

bjoern
2014-07-30, 12:20 PM
I am assuming the DM will ignore the fluff limitations (Magic of Faerun, Initiate of Gond) and that it is a 3.0 game (I personally, as a DM, would almost never allow a 3.0 anything that was not rebuilt as 3.5). As far as I see, your math is correct, and it would work great for skills where you 1) Don't want to use in combat and 2) Never need in a hurry. I can see an item a thief carries to trigger right before they go for the big Pick Pocket roll or something.

Looking around, it looks like they redid it as a 3.5 spell, granting only a +5 bonus.

I see now where its a plus 5. I was reading the 3.0 spell. That balances it a lot better.

Diarmuid
2014-07-30, 04:19 PM
Also keep In mind the item creation section are only guidelines.

This goes along with the "use-activated True Strike" items costing 2k.

bjoern
2014-07-30, 04:47 PM
Also keep In mind the item creation section are only guidelines.

This goes along with the "use-activated True Strike" items costing 2k.

True, but ultimately the whole system is a guideline that the DM can deviate from a this discretion. I was just making sure I did the figuring right according to the formula.

On a use activated item of true strike.....spelllevel 1x caster level 1x 2000gpx 4 because its duration is in rounds = 8k???

sleepyphoenixx
2014-07-30, 04:48 PM
What you're looking for is a command word activated item. Use-activated means an item that casts the spell automatically when it's used, like a sword that casts Hold Person on a hit.

bjoern
2014-07-30, 04:54 PM
What you're looking for is a command word activated item. Use-activated means an item that casts the spell automatically when it's used, like a sword that casts Hold Person on a hit.

Would a continuous item even work with a spell like that? I assume with wield skill as a continuous you would have to pick a skill during creation and then that's that. Or you could change it on each activation. Like howa ring of invisibility is continuous but it turns off if you attack, then you have to reactivate it with a command action right? Doing it this way would give you a floating +5 to a skill avalaibe at will pretty much.

dextercorvia
2014-07-30, 05:32 PM

Where did you find the Wieldskill update?

Edit: Nevermind, right in PGtF

sleepyphoenixx
2014-07-30, 05:55 PM
A Ring of Invisibility isn't continuous. It's CL 3, so it lasts 3 minutes per activation.

With a continuous item i'd say you have to pick at creation, yes. With a command word you could choose every time you activate it, but you'd have to reactivate it every minute so it would be less useful for some things like hide, or anything you'd want to use in combat or other time-critical situations. On the upside a command word item is cheaper since the duration multiplier only applies to continuous items and it has a lower base price, too.

As a DM i'd probably make the item at least as expensive as a normal item of +5 to a skill. If you want it with a command word i'd point you at eternal wands instead.
I'm a little leery of custom items in general and continuous items especially. They're hard to price fairly and can have pretty strong effects depending on the spell used.

Some of the more abusive examples include continuous True Strike (which doesn't actually work since it's expended on hit, but some people apparently see no problem with a constant +20 to hit for 8000gp), continuous Wraith Strike (all melee attacks as touch attacks, again for 8000gp? Really?), command word activated Guidance of the Avatar (at will +20 to any skill check).
The list of potentials is long and there's very few legitimate uses that aren't already available with a published item, imo.