PDA

View Full Version : Help a new Guy out

Sitch
2014-07-30, 07:11 PM
DungeonCrasher seems fun. How do I make an optimized one? I am already level 4 dwarf and have 2 levels in fighter and one in barbarian. My GM gave me permission to change my classes as long as they are melee, I also am allowed to change my feats and Skills. I would appreciate any help. Also how do I use hero forge seems a bit confusing also some of the formulas seem to be broken.

glitterbaby
2014-07-30, 07:57 PM
Check out the spirit lion totem barbarian variant in Complete Champion. It lets you perform a full attack on a charge (pounce) after trading in fast movement, pretty worth imho. For the actual dungeoncrashering you should grab power attack (sacrifice to-hit for damage, x2 with two-handed) and improved bull rush for sure. With those two it almost feels dirty to not take shock trooper (on a charge take power attack from ac instead of to-hit). If you're allowed templates you might want to grab something that will make you large. Half-minotaur and half-ogre from dragon magazine 313 come to mind but check with your dm because these are pretty powerful. Once you're large you can take the knockback feat which allows you to make a bull rush on every successful power attack and apply your damage bonus to your bull rush check. With the feat you don't move with the creature you bull rush, I can just imagine a very large dwarf smacking people with his very large hammer and making them fly 30 feet before smashing against the wall in a bloody pulp. I played a half-minotaur human war-hulk/dungeoncrasher/charger and by level 17 I had about 70 strength. My group fought a heavily buffed tarrasque and while our dwarf-crusader drew aggro, I charged in and dealt about 1500 damage and made him fly 50 feet across the ruined city. We actually had to repeat this 2 or 3 times before we finished the fight. Ahh good times.

PraxisVetli
2014-07-30, 09:36 PM
You have 2 fighter and 1 barbarian, but are level 4?

Hanuman
2014-07-30, 09:43 PM
Warblade?

Or Homebrew?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?192596-The-Warrior-s-Way-Rebalancing-Blade-and-Bow

Silva Stormrage
2014-07-30, 09:44 PM
Try to get the knock back feat from races of the stone. It allows your to get a bull rush whenever you power attack with an attack. It can rack up some really nice damage. It requires size large or larger though so you could try to get half minotaur or another large race like goliath if your character race isn't set in stone.

It also says that goliaths qualify because of powerful build so see if the Jotunbrud feat will let you qualify. Ask your Dm on that one though.

Sitch
2014-07-31, 11:55 AM
You have 2 fighter and 1 barbarian, but are level 4?

yes, I have not selected anything for my 4th level yet. I wanted to see what I need to select for this dungeoncrasher.

Darrin
2014-07-31, 01:24 PM
DungeonCrasher seems fun. How do I make an optimized one?

The first thing that springs to mind is Person_Man's Flaming Homer, the Bowling Ball of DOOM!!! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=4108954&postcount=22).

Unfortunately, one of the keys to the build is the Knockback feat, which means you need to be large-sized or have Powerful Build (Ex). You can get larger via spells/powers like enlarge person and expansion, but the duration would be very limited without getting into persist/polymorph shenanigans.

I'd try talking to your DM about kitbashing a feat similar to Jotunbrud that gives you something similar to Powerful Build (Ex) and allow that to count for taking Knockback.

Sitch
2014-07-31, 11:55 PM
Well darn i was not aware Dungeoncrasher requires a large race. bummer. I'll have to find something else as I doubt very much my DM will let me change my race at this point.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-08-01, 12:09 AM
Well darn i was not aware Dungeoncrasher requires a large race. bummer. I'll have to find something else as I doubt very much my DM will let me change my race at this point.

Dungeoncrasher doesn't require being Large. You give up your bonus feats at 2 and 6.

However, being Large or bigger is pretty useful. Ask your resident castery person to Enlarge you. Or pay for a PAO.

So you can stop at Fighter level 2 and just take the basic Dungeoncrasher benefits, or you can try to go up to 6 for the bigger, badder version. Up to you. What sources are available to you, what is the general optimization level of your group, and what's your goal?

Sitch
2014-08-01, 12:19 AM
Dungeoncrasher doesn't require being Large. You give up your bonus feats at 2 and 6.

However, being Large or bigger is pretty useful. Ask your resident castery person to Enlarge you. Or pay for a PAO.

So you can stop at Fighter level 2 and just take the basic Dungeoncrasher benefits, or you can try to go up to 6 for the bigger, badder version. Up to you. What sources are available to you, what is the general optimization level of your group, and what's your goal?

Complete Series 1 and 2 and a lot of specialty books.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-08-01, 12:38 AM
Ok. So what's the goal, here? And what's the rest of the party like? Are you playing alongside a CW Samurai or a Druid who yo dawg I heard you liked Fleshrakers so I venomfire'd so you could Fleshraker while you venomfire?

Sitch
2014-08-01, 09:50 AM
Ok. So what's the goal, here? And what's the rest of the party like? Are you playing alongside a CW Samurai or a Druid who yo dawg I heard you liked Fleshrakers so I venomfire'd so you could Fleshraker while you venomfire?

Goal is to min max while playing something fun, but i have to stick to dwarf and have to stick to melee class, i am not allowed to do magic. I play along a paladin(main tank), rogue, ranger, cleric and sorcerer.

Darrin
2014-08-01, 10:14 AM
Well darn i was not aware Dungeoncrasher requires a large race.

It doesn't. Medium-sized dungeon crashers work just fine. The problem is with Knockback, which lets you bull rush for free on *every* melee attack. If you can get large with a fly speed, you can fly above your opponents and bull rush them into the ground for +8d6 damage. Every attack that hits... bull rush for 8d6 damage.

It's not impossible for a melee dwarf to get large-sized, just a bit tougher than some other races. For example, if you take Stoneblessed 3 to make yourself count as a Goliath, you could then go into Barbarian and pick up Mountain Rage. This increases your size to large when raging. Add Extra Rage/Extend Rage to help make sure you don't run out of rages.

If you need something more permanent, polymorph any object into something large-sized only costs 1200 GP, but you run the risk it will get dispelled. There are a couple magic items that can turn you into something bigger: Phylactery of Change (11200 GP, A&EG) has all-day polymorph up to 7HD, and Fleshshifter Armor (13160 GP, Book of Vile Darkness) has alter self at will. Probably out of your price range at this point, though... and if you lose the item, you lose access to the Knockback feat.