PDA

View Full Version : List of Classes and Sub Stuff (Escapist )

CyberThread
2014-07-30, 07:43 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136513-Heres-the-Classes-and-Specializations-in-the-D-D-Players-Handbook

Barbarian
Very much the D&D Barbarian of older editions, whose key power is the ability to go into rages. Their specializations are called Paths.

The Path of the Berserker gains powers to make their rages more potent, as well as powers to terrify and dismay their enemies.
The Path of the Totem Warrior gains powers based on a spirit animal, like a Bear, Eagle, or Wolf

Bard
A potent spellcaster - peaking with 9th level spells - with the ability to give comrades inspiration dice and hold their own in light combat. Their specializations are called Colleges.

The College of Lore is the traditional D&D Bard, with lots of skills and versatile magical talents.
The College of Valor is a warrior bard, with heavier armor and abilities that boost both their melee combat and ability to cast spells while making attacks.

Cleric
Pretty much the cleric you know and love - almost all of their unique features come from choice of their deity's divine domain.

The Knowledge domain conveys more powerful spellcasting and an abundance of information gathering powers.
The Life domain was already revealed in the basic rules, and gives potent healing powers.
The Light domain conveys lots of (literal) firepower and defensive abilities that blind opponents.
The Nature domain gives natural world controlling spells, protection from the elements, and friendship with the beasts of the wild.
The Tempest is the storm gods: Lightning, Winds, Flying, Heavy Armor - you're basically Thor's backup singer.
The Trickery domain conveys the ability to improve others' sneaking abilities, become invisible, and invoke illusions.
The War domain gives Heavy Armor, spells for melee combat, some extra attacks, and resistance to battle damage.

Druid
Powerful spellcasters with the ability to turn from their natural form into that of particular wild beasts. Their specializations come from what Circle of Druids they learned in.

The Circle of the Land gains extra spells and abilities based on their home terrain type, like Mountain, Coast, or Arctic.
The Circle of the Moon gains enhanced abilities to transform into a wider variety of beasts and creatures, as well as the ability to fight harder and longer while in beast form.

Fighter
The guy who is really good at taking a sharp thing and putting it in people you don't like. Their specializations are called Martial Archetypes.

The Champion is the warrior's warrior, already in the basic rules.
The Battle Master is the more complex fighter, using a pool of "superiority dice" spent to fuel abilities like feinting attacks and rallying their allies.
The Eldritch Knight is a spellsword who gains access to a pool of up to 4th level wizard spells and the ability to fight while simultaneously wielding magic.

Monk
An armored martial artist who can fight with bare fists or weapons, and gains a pool of Ki points to fuel various supernatural abilities. Slowly gains the whole suite of 3.0 Era monk powers like immunity to disease, agelessness, and stunning strikes. Their specializations are called Monastic Traditions.

The Way of the Open Hand teaches powers that emphasize unarmed combat.
The Way of Shadow teaches powers that give the monk sneaking and magical powers while in darkness - like teleportation.
The Way of the Four Elements teaches users to harness their Ki to cast a variety of elemental abilities and spells - from Burning Hands to Stoneskin.

Paladin
A warrior with innate healing abilities - the classic Lay on Hands - and limited spellcasting up to 5th level. Their specializations outline their unique code of required behavior and their missions in life.

The Oath of Devotion is the classic paladin, with the ability to turn undead and channel radiant power.
The Oath of the Ancients is a paladin devoted to the natural order of the world, called horned knights and often elves. Particularly powerful against evil magic.
The Oath of Vengeance is for paladins who fight their sworn foes, whose powers slow them down and ensure they're brought to justice at any cost.

Ranger
Powerful warriors who roam the wilds beyond civilization and keep their friends safe while travelling, they gain some spellcasting abilities like the Paladin and bonuses against types of favored enemies. Their specializations are called Ranger Archetypes.

The Hunter gains a variety of abilities that make them more powerful in combat against not just their favored enemies, but a variety of foes like them.
The Beast Master has an animal friend who fights alongside them and acts when they command it to.

Rogue
Consummate tricksters, with abilities that make them hard to catch in addition to their classic sneak attack. Their specializations are Roguish Archetypes.

The Thief was already unveiled in the Basic Rules, their powers focus on getting where you want to go.
The Assassin has a suite of abilities based around impersonating, infiltrating, and murdering.
The Arcane Trickster gains limited spellcasting abilities, up to 4th level wizard spells, and the ability to steal from others using their Mage Hand cantrip. Can eventually steal spells from the minds of other casters.

Sorcerer
Channels the natural magic of their person into spellcasting prowess. They use a pool of sorcery points to twist their spells through a process called metamagic. Their specializations are called Sorcerous Origins.

A Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer gains breath weapons, wings, scales - the whole nine yards.
A Wild Magic Sorcerer has potent surges of power in exchange for the chance to roll on a table of random effects - not all of which are things you'd like to happen.

Warlock
A spellcaster who has a deal with a powerful supernatural creature for their might, they use a unique spellcasting system based on a limited number of spells known combined with a maximum power level of spells available.

A pact with The Archfey grants powers based on beguiling and tricking opponents.
A pact with The Fiend grants powers based on hellish luck and dark blessings.
A pact with The Great Old One grants powers based on madness, the mind, and the great beyond.

Wizard
The consummate studier of magic, the wizard has a greater variety of magics available to them than anyone else. Their specializations are called Arcane Traditions and all gain boosts to spells categorized into their schools.

Abjuration Wizards are the masters of spells that protect, ward, and banish. They gain innate protection from attacks.
Conjuration Wizards are the masters of spells that create and summon, they also sideline in teleportation.
Divination Wizards focus on seeing the future and the hidden, they can glimpse the future to affect and alter die rolls.
Enchantment Wizards focus on beguiling and dominating their foes, enchanters can even reactively convince foes not to attack them.
Evocation Wizards are already in the basic rules - the master of destructive magics.
Illusion Wizards are creators of tricks and falsehoods, who can produce illusory doubles and twist their illusions already cast.
Necromancy Wizards gain power from the souls of those killed by their magic and command and create the undead.
Transmutation Wizards have spells that modify the world around them, allowing them to change shapes and use alchemy to change the world - even create a philosopher's stone!

CyberThread
2014-07-30, 07:54 PM
honestly, if these varity subsections are half decent, I feel like this PHB is frikken awesome as far as choices go and the ability to make any character archtype that 3e was famous for.

Daze
2014-07-30, 09:45 PM
Great info CyberThread, thanks for taking the time. :smallcool:

I agree... and I'd go a bit further and say if this is any indication, we could be back to the glorious variety of the 2E days!

That was my fave edition (homebrewed up of course)...I didnt mind the overcomplicated tables that bugged other more casual or less geeky types. to each their own though.

I wont commit to anything until the proper Players, DM and MM books are out though. But definitely seems promising...

EternalHobbyist
2014-07-31, 08:50 PM
I like the variety of paths for each character so far, looks like this combined with good feats will make it less necessary to multi-class or homebrew class features to get the type of character you want. I'm looking forward to getting into the PHB soon.

rlc
2014-07-31, 09:05 PM
hopefully the college of wit returns

Merc_Kilsek
2014-07-31, 09:15 PM
Has there be any official word on sub-classes in the MM & DMG?

Tholomyes
2014-07-31, 09:23 PM
Has there be any official word on sub-classes in the MM & DMG?I doubt we'll see any from the MM, but the DMG will supposedly have a Blackguard subclass for paladins, and the Death domain for Clerics.

Sartharina
2014-07-31, 09:51 PM
I hope the Barbarian's Berserker path grants regeneration like the Barbarian had in the June playtest (Fast-healing 5 whenever they raged at level 15 or so - combined with resistance to physical damage, it made them nigh-immortal to low-level hordes of mooks), instead of killing the barbarian faster like the Berserker Path did in the later playtests. (Seriously, take 5 damage for a bit of extra damage on an attack? WTF?!)

Lord Raziere
2014-07-31, 10:05 PM
So we get things like:
-Benders from Avatar
-Ninjas
-NATURE PALADINS
-Fey warlocks
-Both warrior-mage and rogue-mage hybrids
-Dovaahkin
-Sorcerers with both draconic and wild magic
-storm clerics

awesome.

Secret Wizard
2014-08-01, 12:52 AM
Missing an alchemist/artificer class and a tactician class before we are good to go.

Tholomyes
2014-08-01, 01:01 AM
Missing an alchemist/artificer class and a tactician class before we are good to go.

The issue with artificers and alchemists is that WotC wants to keep magic item creation reigned in, which somewhat limits what can be done with those classes. Personally I see myself reflavoring certain things from the Warlock or the Wizard to fit those classes.

The tactician/warlord is nominally handled by the Battlemaster fighter's maneuvers, but I fear those will be a little lackluster. In addition, I'd like to see more mundane reasons, besides certain skills, for a character to invest in Int. Supposedly there's a feat which helps give a battlefield commander feel, for Cha builds, but Int still is left lacking, which is always a shame, because I like Int to have a bigger role, especially outside of wizards.

Lord Raziere
2014-08-01, 01:50 AM

Hm. yea, we'll probably need to homebrew Warlord. as for artificer....hmmm. tricky.

we can't just refluff wizard for that, they're too robe-y and not item based. but the Eldritch Knight is not exactly enough either. I mean sure you can argue for refluffing of the wizard and how magic and technology only differ by how much one understands the latter, but there is a reason why the archetypes are separate in the first place.

I mean sure you can argue that they fall under a more general archetype of "smart person" but the thing is they are smart in opposite directions. Wizards keep secrets, hide magic, keep it safe, don't let anyone touch, keep quiet, and so on. their mindset is the opposite of a scientist. Wizards think spreading knowledge is dangerous and should not be done. that spreading knowledge only endangers people and only makes themselves vulnerable by sharing such knowledge. they fear knowledge getting out and causing something to happen because someone else knows it, and go great lengths to hide and store it away, while still recognizing its value- but only value that should be given to those who are worthy of knowing it. They are the cynical man's idea of a smart person.

Scientists take the opposite tact. They share knowledge. They can't help explaining it. They want to share it, so that others can use it to better themselves and everything around them. They want to go out and apply their knowledge, help the people around them with it, examine everything they can to learn all that they can. Information wants to be free, says them. They have faith that together people knowing the situation as best they can will make the right decision with what they can provide and thus lead to a better, brighter future. This applies even to Artificers who are basically magical scientists*. They are an idealists idea of a smart person.

Sure there are exceptions- Wizards will share what knowledge will genuinely help in some situations, while Scientists will hide information they believe won't actually benefit anyone, but both of those are out of their moral compasses pointing in the right direction.

point is, I don't really like how people act as if these archetypes are the same when really they couldn't be more different. even if you try to argue for something like Harry Potter, there is still the fact that the entire Wizarding World is keeping itself secret from Muggles- the wizards are still keeping secrets, just on a larger scale. and then you have things like the Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets hidden around.

while scientists, even mad scientists, are compelled to show and explain all their technology. They make showy inventions and vehicles and whatnot. They WANT you to see the inventions. Even mad scientists, even from the classic line "they called me mad!" suggests that they showed others their inventions, tried to explain it to others- and was rejected because of it, and that because of that they turned bitter because their ideas would not be accepted, that their discoveries would not be used, in short a downfall from the ideal they wanted, what they aspired to. the Artificer deserves more than just a refluff from the wizard, methinks.

an Artificer therefore, wants to show the world what magical stuff he has made. he wants to people to look and see at the impressive stuff, and he wants to go out into the world and apply that which he has made to changing things. we need to somehow figure out a mechanic that will make their magical gadgets matter, rather than just be spells but with a different coat of paint. we need to make the ray gun matter for the fact that its a ray gun and not for the fact that it shoots deadly lightning. the deadly lightning is not the point, the point is that its a device made for shooting deadly lightning.

how to do that, I have no idea however....

*As for the inverse, technological wizards, those would probably be programmers hired to make security systems that keep important data safe.

Fable Wright
2014-08-01, 02:04 AM
The issue with artificers and alchemists is that WotC wants to keep magic item creation reigned in, which somewhat limits what can be done with those classes. Personally I see myself reflavoring certain things from the Warlock or the Wizard to fit those classes.

Thing is, though, it's confirmed Eberron will have 5e support, and the Artificer is always included in Eberron as a unique class. It's not a question of whether or not the artificer's going to be in 5e, but how they're going to work around those restrictions.

VeliciaL
2014-08-01, 03:35 AM
Thing is, though, it's confirmed Eberron will have 5e support, and the Artificer is always included in Eberron as a unique class. It's not a question of whether or not the artificer's going to be in 5e, but how they're going to work around those restrictions.

Which means it'll probably be in the Eberron book, same as 4E.

Tholomyes
2014-08-01, 04:36 AM
Thing is, though, it's confirmed Eberron will have 5e support, and the Artificer is always included in Eberron as a unique class. It's not a question of whether or not the artificer's going to be in 5e, but how they're going to work around those restrictions."Always" as in 3e and 4e, which were the two editions for which Eberron has existed. However, 3e and 4e were also notorious for their class bloat (though admittedly the Artificer was introduced before class bloat got really bad in 4e. I forget whether that was the case in 3e). 5e, however, seems to be trying to combat class bloat with the addition of subclasses. The EK and Arcane Trickster Prestige Classes were already made subclasses, and the Monk's Shadow prestige class seems like it will either be a semi-shadow dancer or a ninja, folding those in. The Warlord was folded into the fighter. The Paladin consists of three classes which were separate in 4e, the Paladin, The Warden and the Avenger, and it will also include the 3e Prestige Class of the Blackguard. The Warlock looks like it'll contain the Binder, Hexblade and Warlock, which were all separate classes in 3e. It might be it's own class, if they can't make it work as a subclass, but I don't doubt they'll try the subclass approach first.

Lord Raziere
2014-08-01, 05:03 AM
"Always" as in 3e and 4e, which were the two editions for which Eberron has existed. However, 3e and 4e were also notorious for their class bloat (though admittedly the Artificer was introduced before class bloat got really bad in 4e. I forget whether that was the case in 3e). 5e, however, seems to be trying to combat class bloat with the addition of subclasses. The EK and Arcane Trickster Prestige Classes were already made subclasses, and the Monk's Shadow prestige class seems like it will either be a semi-shadow dancer or a ninja, folding those in. The Warlord was folded into the fighter. The Paladin consists of three classes which were separate in 4e, the Paladin, The Warden and the Avenger, and it will also include the 3e Prestige Class of the Blackguard. The Warlock looks like it'll contain the Binder, Hexblade and Warlock, which were all separate classes in 3e. It might be it's own class, if they can't make it work as a subclass, but I don't doubt they'll try the subclass approach first.

Which is why they folded Sorcerer into Wizar- oh wait.

and Ranger into Rog- nevermind.

as well as Barbarian into Figh- not!

not that I support more subclasses over more classes though. I prefer my concepts to be more thought out and given their own space, and I'm glad they didn't roll barbarian and fighter together and such. but I also recognize they kind of need to be efficient sometimes. I'm just pointing out that if they were really holding themselves to that philosophy, those classes would've been subclasses instead.

I still wish for a Warlord full class. unless Battle Master is good enough....

CyberThread
2014-08-01, 05:08 AM
What you call class bloat I call choices

Tholomyes
2014-08-01, 05:09 AM
Which is why they folded Sorcerer into Wizar- oh wait.

and Ranger into Rog- nevermind.

as well as Barbarian into Figh- not!

not that I support more subclasses over more classes though. I prefer my concepts to be more thought out and given their own space, and I'm glad they didn't roll barbarian and fighter together and such. but I also recognize they kind of need to be efficient sometimes. I'm just pointing out that if they were really holding themselves to that philosophy, those classes would've been subclasses instead.

I still wish for a Warlord full class. unless Battle Master is good enough....You've got a bit of a point on the Sorcerer (though I think there's enough room for thematic differences going forward, by giving various bloodline subclasses that they might not want to crowd the wizard with), but I'd argue that Ranger and Rogue and Barbarian (at least as long as the Spirit animal totem is a part of the flavor) and fighter are different enough to warrant separate classes.

What you call class bloat I call choicesI don't dislike additional choices, but my opinion is that whenever you add options, you should ask yourself two questions: Is the fluff for this class significantly unique that it can't be achieved with another class? and Are the mechanics unique enough that you can justify the addition of another class?* If you can't answer 'yes' to at least one of those questions (preferably both), then they shouldn't make the class. And too often I've found cases where the answer to those questions would be hard to find a "yes"

*Again this isn't a perfect metric; there are cases where there's bloat and one of the answers is a yes, and there are cases where it's not bloat, but you could argue a no for both (but usually that's the case when the new mechanics are significantly better than the old mechanics, at achieving the desired goal. Such as the case for adding the Magus in Pathfinder, when it could be done with the EK prestige class, but having a single class would be preferable)

CyberThread
2014-08-01, 05:14 AM
What about the bard all he does is sing. We have npc classes for that.

Tholomyes
2014-08-01, 05:23 AM
What about the bard all he does is sing. We have npc classes for that.I've never had a bard sing, actually (well, once, but only as a cover identity, when she was actually more of a spy rather than a minstrel). The Bard's role is in the mechanics. A bard functions as a force multiplier, and as a Jack of all trades, with spells drawn from both arcane and divine lists, a decent ability with a weapon, and a better than average skill repository. While the concept could be covered, perhaps, as a multiclass of several classes, it works best as it's own class, which is why it's worth being it's own class.

There are several classes which aren't appreciably better as their own class, and could easily be done as a specialized version of an existing class. Fortunately the options for "specialized version of an existing class" are much greater, now, with the addition of subclasses.