PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to make OotS style avatars?

gr8artist
2014-07-30, 07:43 PM
I found a thread pretty quick that showed the guidelines, but I couldn't download the free software that was mentioned in it. I'm a little strapped for cash, so I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for a free/open-source software that might allow me to start working on making my own avatars. I already have Gimp, which functions a lot like Photoshop, and is free to download. But while Gimp is great for editing drawings and illustrations, I find it somewhat lacking when trying to make something from scratch. Perhaps there's a tool I'm missing; I'm not sure.

Winter_Wolf
2014-07-31, 12:03 PM
I found a thread pretty quick that showed the guidelines, but I couldn't download the free software that was mentioned in it. I'm a little strapped for cash, so I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for a free/open-source software that might allow me to start working on making my own avatars. I already have Gimp, which functions a lot like Photoshop, and is free to download. But while Gimp is great for editing drawings and illustrations, I find it somewhat lacking when trying to make something from scratch. Perhaps there's a tool I'm missing; I'm not sure.

Are you talking about Inkscape? Is it just not connecting when you try to download? http://www.inkscape.org/en/download/

Sometimes it seems like everyone who makes avatars likes it. I personally have no experience with it other than that one time I installed it and five minutes later decided it wasn't right for my needs.

Grinner
2014-07-31, 12:28 PM
Inkscape's what I use.

I'd also advise following Trazoi's guide (http://www.trazoi.net/tutorials/inkscape/oots/).

I think some other avatarists use MSPaint. Along those lines, you should be able to use Gimp's paint and ink tools, though the method is probably very different from the Inkscape-made avatars. They also look very different.

Cuthalion
2014-07-31, 03:31 PM

Do you use a Mac? If so, you also will need to install x11.

gr8artist
2014-08-01, 04:24 PM
That download link and that guide seem to be what I needed. Thanks!

Jinny Jarvis
2014-08-03, 11:09 PM
I also use Inkscape, You don't need to be much of an artist to make a good avatar in Inkscape. :)

Rock270
2014-08-13, 06:40 PM
After finding this thread, I was able to create my avatar in a single morning. However, one thing you will want to watch out for is that avatars on GITP should be 117x117 pixels.

gurgleflep
2014-08-16, 03:37 PM
After finding this thread, I was able to create my avatar in a single morning. However, one thing you will want to watch out for is that avatars on GITP should be 117x117 pixels.

You can export the images within these size restrictions :smallbiggrin: Ctrl + Shift + E exports them (which I believe defaults them to .png files), you can modify the size from there - change the larger number to the limit and it's resized.

Rock270
2014-08-17, 05:40 PM
I simply used the box method in the guide and just made the box 117x117 pixels.