PDA

View Full Version : 5th Edition Players Handbook at Amazon for 29.97 instead of 49.95

CyberThread
2014-07-30, 08:05 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Players-Handbook-Dungeons-Dragons-Wizards/dp/0786965606/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406768538&sr=1-1&keywords=dungeons+and+dragons+5th+edition

So basicly it is cheaper here then I could find anywhere else.

akaddk
2014-07-30, 08:43 PM
This is nothing new, D&D books are almost always cheaper through Amazon than anywhere else, even after factoring in shipping.

It's costing me $40 AUD to have mine shipped to my door either on the same day I could get it at a physical store here, or possibly earlier (the Starter Set for instance got to me almost a week earlier than it was available at the store). If I was to buy it here, it would cost me $60 AUD, plus the bus fare.

omniknight
2014-07-30, 09:01 PM
$30 + free shipping (Prime), woot. Might even arrive a day or so early, as (in my experience) is sometimes Amazon's wont for preordered gaming stuff.

On a related note, does anyone know anything about a possible digital 5e PHB? I would love to get a digital copy of the PHB like the Basic Rules PDF WotC released.

Jeraa
2014-07-30, 09:09 PM
Yeah, Amazon is always my first stop when buying D&D books. I've never payed more than half price for a book there, even new. I managed to get the Starter Set for $8 (plus shipping).

archaeo
2014-07-30, 09:16 PM
On a related note, does anyone know anything about a possible digital 5e PHB? I would love to get a digital copy of the PHB like the Basic Rules PDF WotC released.

Nobody knows. The most credible speculation I've seen is that 5e's digital release will be entirely through Morningstar, the digital tool WotC commissioned from an outside app developer. But even that is just speculation; I think it's perfectly safe to assume Morningstar will offer the same functionality as DDI provided, as well as some digital tabletop aids, but that's about it.

My personal speculation? It's 2014. WotC will offer digital versions of their books. The way they do so remains to be seen, and while I'm hopeful for a sensible publication of DRM-free PDFs, I'm used to being disappointed by big publishers on this issue.

omniknight
2014-07-30, 09:23 PM
I hope that they do. Even if they only end up releasing the digital materials through Morningstar, eventually it will be ripped from its DRM chains by someone anyway. Might as well make people happy and release an official one to generate good will while at the same time encouraging people to buy the physical copies.

HunterOfJello
2014-07-31, 12:21 AM
Amazon sells books for lower prices than bookstores and other locations as well as selling in much higher volumes. This has actually created a lot of issues with authors who are pissed off at publishers who will work with Amazon while the website is in a power position to dictate the terms of all their agreements.

rlc
2014-07-31, 12:34 AM
This is nothing new, D&D books are almost always cheaper through Amazon than anywhere else, even after factoring in shipping.

It's costing me $40 AUD to have mine shipped to my door either on the same day I could get it at a physical store here, or possibly earlier (the Starter Set for instance got to me almost a week earlier than it was available at the store). If I was to buy it here, it would cost me $60 AUD, plus the bus fare.
seriously?
>live in same country as company
>get it week after comes to stores
>people on other side of the world get it early

Envyus
2014-07-31, 12:46 AM
Indigo/Chapters was selling the stuff early as well for Canadians like me. Also it is about as cheap.

akaddk
2014-07-31, 01:04 AM
seriously?
>live in same country as company
>get it week after comes to stores
>people on other side of the world get it early

*shrug*

If it's any consolation, I normally end up waiting 2-3 weeks later than when you Ameriyankees get it. I'm sure that I'll be waiting on the PHB well after you've got your grubby little hands on it. Then you can come here and rub it in my face. How's that sound?

rlc
2014-07-31, 07:06 AM
*shrug*

If it's any consolation, I normally end up waiting 2-3 weeks later than when you Ameriyankees get it. I'm sure that I'll be waiting on the PHB well after you've got your grubby little hands on it. Then you can come here and rub it in my face. How's that sound?

i probably won't even buy it until next year

DiBastet
2014-08-02, 06:01 PM
Well, I'll also have to wait some 3-4 weeks for the book to reach me in these tropical climates of brazilian gaming... sigh

...well, at least I can read in wonder the alpha so I got that going for me, which is nice...