PDA

View Full Version : need some help coming up with interesting characters

SciChronic
2014-07-30, 08:14 PM
This is more of a timesink while i wait for computer part on my new build, just as a disclaimer.

I generally come up with a general archetype/backstory of how i want my character to be and try to make it viable and hit around T2-T4 though generally i want T3 (the people i play with don't optimize, so i limit myself), but recently i've just run out of ideas for characters. i like my characters to have uses outside of combat, so i usually end up making skillmonkey/utility characters, but i'm not against going outside of that role. its just that i don't want to outshine the rest of my party since i'm the only who who optimizes. my current roster of characters includes:

1. shapshifting thief/assassin who trusts no one because she's part demon and grew up being persecuted
2. mute psychic warrior smacker that grew up in the wilderness. demonstrates feral and naive tendancies. talks telepathically through psicrystal (a lot of "we"s, "this one", "the master says", etc.)
3. knife thrower who is very flashy (the man has 15 daggers strapped onto him through various bandoliers with an additional 5 concealed) and likes to show off
4. undead beguiler who underwent the necropolitan ritual in order to survive a fight with a disease spreading monster, his reward for saving his people was exile
5. Martial artist and spy for (insert kingdom here) who is notorious for his ability to kill without the need of a weapon.

extra characters
1. swift hunter
2. astral shaper
3. captain america

so can anyone help spark my imagination and give me ideas for some fun and interesting characters?

Hazrond
2014-07-30, 08:18 PM
This is more of a timesink while i wait for computer part on my new build, just as a disclaimer.

I generally come up with a general archetype/backstory of how i want my character to be and try to make it viable and hit around T2-T4 though generally i want T3 (the people i play with don't optimize, so i limit myself), but recently i've just run out of ideas for characters. i like my characters to have uses outside of combat, so i usually end up making skillmonkey/utility characters, but i'm not against going outside of that role. its just that i don't want to outshine the rest of my party since i'm the only who who optimizes. my current roster of characters includes:

1. shapshifting thief/assassin who trusts no one because she's part demon and grew up being persecuted
2. mute psychic warrior smacker that grew up in the wilderness. demonstrates feral and naive tendancies. talks telepathically through psicrystal (a lot of "we"s, "this one", "the master says", etc.)
3. knife thrower who is very flashy (the man has 15 daggers strapped onto him through various bandoliers with an additional 5 concealed) and likes to show off
4. undead beguiler who underwent the necropolitan ritual in order to survive a fight with a disease spreading monster, his reward for saving his people was exile
5. Martial artist and spy for (insert kingdom here) who is notorious for his ability to kill without the need of a weapon.

extra characters
1. swift hunter
2. astral shaper
3. captain america

so can anyone help spark my imagination and give me ideas for some fun and interesting characters?

Is he also part of a jellyfish race that has achieved interstellar travel and uses the psycrystal to translate because his native language is flashes of light? :smalltongue:

SciChronic
2014-07-30, 08:37 PM
Is he also part of a jellyfish race that has achieved interstellar travel and uses the psycrystal to translate because his native language is flashes of light? :smalltongue:

and worships the Enkindler, of course.

really its more of the mute talks to the psicrystal, and the psicrystal relays messages the best it can.

nedz
2014-07-30, 08:41 PM
Ecumenical Pilgrim
Concept based on RL clerics who do mind control and a bit of divine stuff. Lots of skill points which don't have to be spent on the usual stealth skills. Three Domains by 6th level — dependant on the deity.

Beguiler 5 / Divine Oracle 1 / Beguiler +2 / Divine Oracle +2 / Beguiler ++
Feats: Educated [1] Arcane Disciple [1] Skill Focus [Know(Rel)][3] Arcane Disciple [6]

Lots of options for the later feats:
Penumbra Bloodline, Insightful Reflexes, Dimensional Jaunt, more Arcane Disciple picks

Lofted Warped Hobbit
Ray Druid / Ranger type character who rides around on an air elemental.

Halfling Wilderness Rogue 1 / Halfling Deadly Hunter Druid 5 / Spellwarp Sniper 5 / Druid ++
Feats: PBS [1], Track {2}, Extend Spell [3], PS [6], Split Ray [9], Deadeye Shot {9}, Dimensional Jaunt[12]

Class Features: Trapfinding [1], Ranged Sneak 2d6 [1] FE#1 [2] Wis to AC [2] Elem Comp [2] Nature Sense[2] Woodland stride [3] +10' move [4] Trackless step [4] Resist nature’s lure [5] Elem Comp – medium [5] +1 AC [6] FE#2[6] Spellwarp [7] Sudden raystrike +1d6 [8] Sudden raystrike +2d6 [10] Ray mastery [11]

ACFs:
Wilderness Rogue (UA, p 56): Modified skill list.
Halfling Rogue Substitution Levels (RW, p 160) 1st level: Ranged Sneak Attack +1d6 Ranged sneak, -1d6 Melee sneak
Deadly Hunter (UA, p 58): Gain bonus to AC when unarmored and fast movement (as monk). Gain favored enemy, track, and swift tracker as a ranger. Lose armor and shield proficiency and wild shape.
Halfling Druid Substitution Levels (RW, p 157) add climb, jump, move silently, and hide to skill list (6 skills points per level)
Elemental Companion (CM, p 33) Know (the Planes) 1, speak Auran. No AC, no Wild Empathy.

Falcon X
2014-07-30, 11:31 PM
1. Buomman Sidewinder Monk with the flaw of being a dullard - While gifted in so many ways, has absolutely no intelligence. Despite being the unlikely candidate, he decided to do what he saw someone else do and leave his home plane to gain knowledge of the outside world. Little did he know that he chose to go to the harshest and most dangerous plane of existence out there: Ours.

2. Raptoran Warlock - Being born a prince amongst raptorans, he believes himself to be better than the rest. He thus made a pact with a dark wind god for his warlock abilities. Later, he believes he has conquered and overcome this dark god, while he is still actually dominated by that god.
Thus, his actions are never fully his own, even though he thinks they are. His unwitting help for evil in situations is often chalked up by him as mere bad luck.

3. Nogard the Rogue Modron - When Modrons go rogue, things don't always click right in their brains. In Nogard's case, he has decided he is a dragon. Notably, he has never met a dragon and barely knows what one is beyond it has a hoard and breathes fire.
Class will probably be either Warmage or Dragonfire Adept.

4. The Lawyer for Devils - A Tiefling who lives in Baator. He is a lawyer in the fiendish courts, so he has to stay quick and devious. He hunts down evidence, and might even capture or execute prisoners himself.
Probably a Factotum. Ur-Priest, Athar, Sensate, or Fiend of Corruption would also be appropriate.

titans4ever
2014-07-31, 10:59 AM
How about a cleric who refuses to carry anything but a staff and focuses solely on healing, curing, removing disease/curses etc. Amazing what an optimized healer can do for a party. You still won't outshine the others because you are only in a support role in combat.