PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Eversmoke Bottle Physics? Help!

Hanuman
2014-07-30, 09:33 PM
Eversmoke bottle is one of those items which has vague wording, I would love some clarification from the playground's RAW and RAI jedi! :smallsmile:

Is this smoke the smoke hazard? (20% Concealment, Choking/Coughing, 1d6 Nonlethal per 2 rounds), in which case does the coughing and choking have an additional effect other than the nonlethal damage?

Is this smoke not the hazard but instead a total concealment effect without any breathing disruption?

Alternatively, is this by some rare chance the smoke from the pyrotechnics spell used to create the bottle?

Is the center of the smoke release static? As in, if the bottle leaves the 50' smoke area does it keep trailing to the initial smoked area to expand it? What happens? If the smoke is dissipated by wind then where does the extra smoke go (assuming it still produces) and how does that work?

Let me know, thanks!

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bottle-eversmoking

(or 3.5: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm)

Lightlawbliss
2014-07-30, 11:10 PM
Your title does not match what you are asking. Your title reads "(misspelled magic item)(thing magic breaks)". This will not help you get the answers you desire.

Erik Vale
2014-07-30, 11:23 PM
1: It's not stated so, as such for the players sake I'd presume not.
2: It totally obscures sight, so that's total concealment, being a smoke hazard isn't mentioned, so one would presume not.
3: That's all fluff.
4: Not stated. I would think that if you moved, you created a new 50ft area, and then the area you left disapaited as if the bottle had been stoppered, but I'm not your GM.

Necroticplague
2014-07-31, 12:08 AM
1. Doesn't say it is, so its not.

2.yep.

3.No. You need pyrotechnics to make it, but the effect of te item is unrelated.

4.yes, the origin is static. When you open it, it creates a 50 foot burst. Each round afterwards, it gets bigger. This is regardless of where the bottle is. Heck, the bottle can be outside the smoke, and still expand the cloud if it isn't stoppered. The smoke can't be dissipated while the bottle is open, so tthat point is moot.

Hanuman
2014-07-31, 02:25 AM
Great help so far! Ok, total concealment effect but like a stage smoke machine it doesn't actually debuff.

What happens if only part of the smoke is dispersed or removed (such as wind on one square for a limited time), or what if it is within a space lower than 100'?

If you unstopper it within a bag of holding does the smoke pour out of it? If so, does it fill that area, and what if you move?

Necroticplague
2014-07-31, 10:05 AM
What happens if only part of the smoke is dispersed or removed (such as wind on one square for a limited time), or what if it is within a space lower than 100'?

If you unstopper it within a bag of holding does the smoke pour out of it? If so, does it fill that area, and what if you move?

Well, it won't disperse until you stopper the bottle, at which point it simply becomes normal smoke. If you open it in a space less than a 100 foot spread, it fills up the whole area. As a spread, it can go around corners to fill the area.

As a spread, it would indeed pour out of the bag if you opened it in one. To calculate final size, you would first have to know how far in the bag it is, so you know how much distance it uses up before pouring out. And I think it would move with you in this case, because the center of the effect is now static inside the bag.

Hanuman
2014-07-31, 02:10 PM
Thanks! Super helpful :smallsmile: