PDA

View Full Version : 2handed weapon question

CryptbornAkryea
2014-07-30, 09:40 PM
I know I've seen somewhere a special ability, a class feature, a feat, a ... something, that changes the +1.5xStr for wielding a 2 handed weapon in both hands into +2xStr. I just can't figure out where. Any ideas, giants?

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-30, 09:46 PM
Master Samurai can do it with katanas, I believe, and Exotic Weapon Masters can do it with whatever their chosen exotic weapon is. I don't know of any, say, feat that does it though.

But I'd be surprised if it doesn't exist.

Necroticplague
2014-07-30, 11:58 PM
Weapons wielded on more than two hands provide a greater STr mod to damage if the weapon was designed for it. So a modified greatsword held in 3 hands would do 2xSTR damage.

MirddinEmris
2014-07-31, 12:22 AM
You probably seeking for class ability called Uncanny Blow from Exotic Weapon Master (CW)

Uncanny Blow: When wielding a one-handed exotic melee weapon in two hands, the character can focus the power of his attack so that he deals extra damage equal to his Strength bonus ×2 instead of his Strength bonus ×1-1/2. If he has the Power Attack feat, he treats the weapon as twohanded for purposes of determining his bonus on damage rolls.

Andezzar
2014-07-31, 12:42 AM
Weapons wielded on more than two hands provide a greater STr mod to damage if the weapon was designed for it. So a modified greatsword held in 3 hands would do 2xSTR damage.I never heard of that rule, where is it from?

Ken Murikumo
2014-07-31, 12:47 AM
Pathfinder: two-handed fighter (fighter archetype), Adv. Players Guide

CryptbornAkryea
2014-07-31, 03:00 AM
Thanks, guys! Exotic Weapon Master Uncanny Blow is what I was looking for. :)

Andezzar
2014-07-31, 08:41 AM
Do note that uncanny blow only works with a one-handed exotic weapon such as the bastard sword.

CryptbornAkryea
2014-07-31, 09:20 AM
Interesting... Could Uncanny Blow be used with a spiked chain?

Andezzar
2014-07-31, 09:22 AM
Nope, that is a two-handed weapon.

Necroticplague
2014-07-31, 09:30 AM
I never heard of that rule, where is it from?

Savage Species, of course.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-31, 10:41 AM
That restriction on Uncanny Blow is pretty dumb, though, and I'd personally allow it for two-handed weapons. It wouldn't break anything. Besides, as-written, someone who specializes in a one-handed weapon is better at two-hand-fighting than someone who specializes in a two-handed weapon. That makes no sense.

>Implying 3.5 makes sense.

Andezzar
2014-07-31, 10:44 AM
That restriction on Uncanny Blow is pretty dumb, though, and I'd personally allow it for two-handed weapons. It wouldn't break anything. Besides, as-written, someone who specializes in a one-handed weapon is better at two-hand-fighting than someone who specializes in a two-handed weapon. That makes no sense.That is the point of the exotic weapon master. Also 2:1 power attack exchange while using a shield is not that bad either.

CryptbornAkryea
2014-07-31, 11:07 AM
Great mental image... Exotic weapon master using uncanny blow with his manople!

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-31, 11:13 AM
That is the point of the exotic weapon master.I fail to see how that helps. There are two-handed exotic weapons, too, e.g. the Fullblade. Folks who choose to specialize in an exotic weapon that favors that fighting style shouldn't be barred from getting the benefit of a class feature that explicitly supports that fighting style. IMO.

Also, a bastard sword is a martial weapon when you wield it two-handed. Try and work out the RAW for that one. :smalltongue:

Andezzar
2014-07-31, 11:13 AM
A manople is a light weapon so that won't work.

Also, a bastard sword is a martial weapon when you wield it two-handed. Try and work out the RAW for that one. :smalltongue:Not quite. A bastard sword is a one-handed exotic weapon period.

A character can use a bastard sword two-handed as a martial weapon.So it can be used as a martial weapon, it does not become one, nor is a character with EWP: bastard Sword obligated to use it as a martial weapon.

CryptbornAkryea
2014-07-31, 11:19 AM
Uncanny Blow really is incredibly limited, isn't it? Rather sad, really

Any ideas on weapons that would qualify?

georgie_leech
2014-07-31, 11:26 AM

The intention seems to have been to make using a Bastard Sword one-handed have a point, since without it it's "spend a feat to do less damage with this weapon."

Bronk
2014-07-31, 11:41 AM
There's also the 'improved' (+50%) and 'supreme' (+100%) version of power attack from the Frenzied Berserker class.

Andezzar
2014-07-31, 11:41 AM
Any ideas on weapons that would qualify?Any one-handed exotic weapon. Besides the bastard sword/katana and dwarven waraxe in the PHB there are a couple across the books. Great scimitar, Khopesh and Scorpion tail whip from the same book as the manople for example. The khopesh can also be used for the Trip Attack trick.

If you go Frenzied Berserker, be sure to give your mates marbles.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-31, 11:48 AM

Any ideas on weapons that would qualify? Any exotic weapon at all. If you want to use a light weapon, use one that's sized one size larger than you and it becomes one handed. For a two handed weapon, use a smaller one and it becomes one handed. You take a -2 attack penalty either way, but you can use whatever you want.

CryptbornAkryea
2014-07-31, 11:51 AM
Marbles?

I don't get it...

IAmTehDave
2014-07-31, 12:12 PM
Marbles?

I don't get it...

Can't tell friend from foe while in a frenzy. = You will attack your friends.

Can't use skills while in a frenzy. + Balance is a skill. + A 5-foot-square full of marbles requires a balance check to not fall prone. = A bag of marbles shuts off a Frenzied Berserker.

Alternatively, mix editions, have a Vitalist in the party and figure out a way to have the Vitalist cast Calm Emotions as a Network Psionic power. You automatically fail any saves against powers cast by a Vitalist through the Collective.

Edit: Network is the descriptor. Vitalists have a Collective. Also I'm sure there's a psionic equivalent of Calm Emotions that I'm just not finding with a cursory search.

Edit Edit: From the Dreamscarred Press D20srd, the 3.5 version of the Vitalist is the Society Mind. I don't remember if they have the same clause about powers cast at Mindthought Network members as Vitalists have on Collective members. "Network powers manifest only on members of the network never allow saving throws" So calm emotions as a Network power, throw it at the FB when they get out of hand.

Andezzar
2014-07-31, 12:15 PM
It is not quite as bad. The frenzied berserker eliminates the opposition first. He does not attack whatever creature is closest. But yeah the marbles are to force a balance check which the Frenzied berserker automatically fails.

Trasilor
2014-07-31, 12:16 PM
Any one-handed exotic weapon. Besides the bastard sword/katana and dwarven waraxe in the PHB there are a couple across the books. Great scimitar, Khopesh and Scorpion tail whip from the same book as the manople for example. The khopesh can also be used for the Trip Attack trick.

If you go Frenzied Berserker, be sure to give your mates marbles.

Also, any double weapon would work. Double weapons can be used one-handed (the caveat is that only one end can be used). So technically, all double weapons could qualify.

CryptbornAkryea
2014-07-31, 12:20 PM
So the spiked chain does work?

Darrin
2014-07-31, 12:57 PM
Can't use skills while in a frenzy. + Balance is a skill. + A 5-foot-square full of marbles requires a balance check to not fall prone. = A bag of marbles shuts off a Frenzied Berserker.

The FB can attack from the prone position with a -4 attack penalty. Also, deploying marbles is generally a standard action that you can only perform on your own turn. FBs tend to go megastabbykill when it isn't your turn.

Might want to add a Wand Chamber (100 GP, Dungeonscape) and a wand of stay the hand, halt, hesitate, or wings of cover to give yourself a chance to deploy the marbles. A wand of ice slick (Frostburn) or impeding stones (Cityscape) will cover a much larger area than a 5' x 5' patch of marbles.

Andezzar
2014-07-31, 01:17 PM
Also, any double weapon would work. Double weapons can be used one-handed (the caveat is that only one end can be used). So technically, all double weapons could qualify.Not quite.
A character can fight with both ends of a double weapon as if fighting with two weapons, but he or she incurs all the normal attack penalties associated with two-weapon combat, just as though the character were wielding a one-handed weapon and a light weapon.Even when using both ends you are never wielding a one-handed weapon, you only incur the penalties as if you were.

So the spiked chain does work?No, a spiked chain isn't even a double weapon.

The FB can attack from the prone position with a -4 attack penalty. Also, deploying marbles is generally a standard action that you can only perform on your own turn. FBs tend to go megastabbykill when it isn't your turn. You can deploy them between you and the FB while he is still occupied cutting the opposition to pieces. Also an FB cannot attack while in an area covered with marbles:
Creatures moving through or fighting in the area must make Balance checks (DC 15).Since the FB cannot make any balance check, he cannot fight.

Might want to add a Wand Chamber (100 GP, Dungeonscape) and a wand of stay the hand, halt, hesitate, or wings of cover to give yourself a chance to deploy the marbles. A wand of ice slick (Frostburn) or impeding stones (Cityscape) will cover a much larger area than a 5' x 5' patch of marbles.Sure spellcasters and people with UMD have more options. the marbles work for everyone.

CryptbornAkryea
2014-07-31, 01:24 PM
Odd, for some reason I thought that spiked chain was a double weapon. My mistake there

Darrin
2014-07-31, 01:37 PM
Also an FB cannot attack while in an area covered with marbles:Since the FB cannot make any balance check, he cannot fight.

Look at the next sentence: "A creature that fails is unable to move for 1 round (or may fall)". The Balance check is only to see if you stop moving or fall down. A FB who fails the Balance check falls and is prone in that square. Nothing in the marbles description or the Balance rules say that you can't attack after a failed check.

Trasilor
2014-07-31, 01:38 PM
Not quite.Even when using both ends you are never wielding a one-handed weapon, you only incur the penalties as if you were.

You must include the whole passage from SRD

Double Weapons
Dire flails, dwarven urgroshes, gnome hooked hammers, orc double axes, quarterstaffs, and two-bladed swords are double weapons. A character can fight with both ends of a double weapon as if fighting with two weapons, but he or she incurs all the normal attack penalties associated with two-weapon combat, just as though the character were wielding a one-handed weapon and a light weapon.

The character can also choose to use a double weapon two handed, attacking with only one end of it. A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

So you can wield a double weapon with one hand. Now, one could argue that since the double weapons are listed as 2-handed weapons, they don't qualify, but that is a different debate. :smallamused:

The only time you incur penalties is when you choose to fight with both ends.

Andezzar
2014-07-31, 01:59 PM
Look at the next sentence: "A creature that fails is unable to move for 1 round (or may fall)". The Balance check is only to see if you stop moving or fall down. A FB who fails the Balance check falls and is prone in that square. Nothing in the marbles description or the Balance rules say that you can't attack after a failed check.Sorry for saying that the FB auto-fails the balance check. That is not correct, he cannot even roll:
While frenzied, the character cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Intimidate), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can she cast spells, drink potions, activate magic items, or read scrolls.To be fighting in a square with marbles you have to roll a balance check. An FB is not allowed to roll so he is not allowed to fight.

So you can wield a double weapon with one hand.Wielding a two-handed weapon in one hand is not the same as wielding a one-handed weapon. For uncanny blow to apply you need to be wielding a one-handed weapon. Double weapons are not. The PHB also makes clear that this only applies to characters that are actually capable of wielding two-handed weapons in one hand:
A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand (such as a human wielding a Small two-bladed sword) can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.You cannot wield an appropriately sized two-handed weapon in one hand. Monkey grip won't help either.