PDA

View Full Version : I didnt know that this was actually a race before....

Hazrond
2014-07-30, 09:52 PM
When i was going through various bestiary and monster mayhem articles saving things i came across something interesting, the Hamaguan (http://web.archive.org/web/20130531142119/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030523c) race, interesting to say the least maybe if i ever end up running an ocean encounter the PCs can meet Ursula :smallamused:

Hazrond
2014-07-30, 10:18 PM
Anybody got any thoughts or ideas for how to use this race?

Lightlawbliss
2014-07-30, 10:52 PM
night time attack when the PC are a sailing.

nedz
2014-07-31, 05:49 AM
I've run one island hopping campaign and am alternate DM on another (just started) but I see no real use for these in either game as they are a deep water race. Maybe they make the odd excursion into shallow seas to grab some McGuffin which the party also seek, or the party encounter them as they cross a deep water channel between archipelagos ? They could be mistaken for Illithin and it's a shame that they are psionic really because they might come across as simply a Mind Flayer variant. 5 RHD are unhelpful too.

MrBright01
2014-07-31, 06:38 AM
They players find an island with some relatively primitive tribes. They worship a floating obelisk that hovers over a small lake that is 100' wide and super deep. Their worship involves scooping out a pail or bowl of water from the lake, pouring it into the ocean, then scooping the same from the ocean and pouring it into the lake. They believe that one day, their god will rise from the depths of the lake and bring them to paradise.

40ft into the lake, the stone edged become brick, and 400ft down, the Hamaguan resides. It was injured in a battle decades ago against one of its own, and ran to this freshwater lake to hide. It uses the obelisk to communicate with and convert the natives, and is slowly, ever so slowly, turning the lake from fresh to saltwater through the process of "worship." It is setting up this lair as a hidden base from which to strike out and get revenge on its foe.

Maybe make to obelisk grant water breathing or something if the players have no way to get down there otherwise. If the players are THOSE sort of players, have the obelisk centered on a magic circle at the bottom of the lake which provides the real power to the thing and is disrupted if the obelisk is moved.

As for the 5 RHD, that's what the DM's Fudge Pants are for.