PDA

View Full Version : Best way to Store/carry a rod of cancellation?

Hiro Quester
2014-07-30, 10:16 PM
I have a bit of loot to spend, so I'm considering getting one or two of these, since the Bad guys seems to really like Prismatic walls. They have stymied us with those a couple of times lately.

But it seems that if the rod of cancellation touches any other magic item, it can destroy it. So how can you safely carry one around?

Does a Handy Haversack or a Quiver of Elhonna keep items from touching one another?

When you hold one, does it cancel your magical gloves or rings?

Sith_Happens
2014-07-30, 10:26 PM
Keep it in a sealed, lead-lined box. If you're using it against a Prismatic Wall you don't need to take it out of the box first, because the box will be destroyed by the wall.

Hiro Quester
2014-07-30, 10:57 PM
Keep it in a sealed, lead-lined box. If you're using it against a Prismatic Wall you don't need to take it out of the box first, because the box will be destroyed by the wall.

That sounds like a reasonable tactic. A rod-shaped lead tube with a lid would be perfect, I guess. Take the lid off and slide it out into the wall, even.

Psyren
2014-07-31, 12:23 AM
I think Sith was saying - just throw the box, rod and all, at the wall.

- Wall destroys box
- Rod contacts Wall
- Both are canceled out

No need to do anything risky like remove the lid.

(As for getting it into the box - use nonmagical tongs so you don't have to remove your gloves or rings.)

Hiro Quester
2014-07-31, 02:47 PM
I see how throwing it would be a good idea, IF the wall would destroy the box.

But the first layer of the wall will do this:

Stops nonmagical ranged weapons.
Deals 20 points of fire damage (Reflex half).

The box will be stopped by the first layer. I could see the DM ruling that 20 points of fire damage would not destroy a lead box.

So a cylinder box it would slide out of if the lid were removed seems prudent.

Psyren
2014-07-31, 03:16 PM
A box is not a weapon and so will not be stopped by the red layer.

You could maybe make an argument for "improvised weapon" but I think as long as you're not targeting anyone in the combat then it won't be considered one.

That would allow it to penetrate to the purple layer and do its thing.

Miss Disaster
2014-07-31, 06:13 PM
I see Psyren beat me to it.

Non-Magical Tongs ... see the Arms & Equipment Guide, p. 22