PDA

View Full Version : Vengence?

TheCrowing1432
2014-07-30, 10:37 PM
I am currently running a campaign and one of the things I like to do is to use the characters backstorys for plothooks. One of the characters used to live in a mountain village. Their father was the leader of a group of hunters that fed and clothed the town. However one day they never came back from a hunt and he went to look for them, he found them killed by wolves, after killing the wolves and returning the corpses to town he became the only hunter. However soon the strain became too much and he snapped, killing the entire town rather then let them starve to death.

This gave me an idea, but Im unsure how to implement it.

Heres what I thought of.

1) Someone survives and swears an oath against them to kill them. This is the simplest idea but its the way I want to do it i need help with. Any old class could track him down and kill him. I had considered Ranger, but that doesnt really fit the theme. I want the survivor to draw power from the oath he swore.

Is there a class that draws powers from swearing oaths, either blood oaths or something along those lines?

2) Similar to the above, but instead of hunting him down, they want to make him suffer, so they do it through magic. They assault his consciousness with visions and dreams of guilt and pain and suffering.

Is there a spellcasting class that messes with dreams and sleeping?

3) A devil/demon whatever. Born from the sin of his genocide of his village that constantly torments him until he faces it and kills it, either by summoning it from the circles of hell or going down there himself to face it.

Something like this would probably be in the Fiend Folio, but I wouldnt know what it would look like.

Anything like this actually exist?

So yeah, do any of the ideas actually exist in DND or would I have to do something like "Specalist Wizard in Sleep Spells" or something lame like that.

Vhaidara
2014-07-30, 11:21 PM
Well, quick point on the third one, Summoning it wouldn't kill it. Summoned outsiders reform on their native plane when killed. So it would actually require a crusade against hell/the abyss.

I would be of more help on details, but I am too tired to flip through two dozen books.

Noldo
2014-07-31, 02:20 AM
For second option, there is Nightmare spinner in Complete Mage, although it needs 3rd level arcane spells to qualify.

VoxRationis
2014-07-31, 09:52 AM
Avenging Executioner (Complete Scoundrel) has the right "desperate desire for vengeance" feel to it.
And while you couldn't summon the demon, you could call it, via Planar Binding.