PDA

View Full Version : Alchemy question.

Graye
2014-07-31, 02:59 AM
Hey there.

I'm still fairly new to the lore of D&D in general, and I haven't been able to find an answer to my question elsewhere.

Would it be possible to animate dead cells or artificially sustain life through alchemy in a D&D setting?

The perfect scenario I'm hoping to achieve is to have my character perform enough tests on himself to eventually become immortal (age only, can still be killed through injuries). But I haven't found anything that either confirms or denies this possibility. So now I come to you.

Vaz
2014-07-31, 05:01 AM
Alchemy is the forgotten son of magic. There may be in 3rd party books which create analogous effects, and you are free to request homebrew effects, but between magic and magic items, WoTC pretty much forgot about Alchemy.

The fact that you need spellcastimg even to make Alchemy items makes ot even more ridiculous, and something I ignore - you don't even need to be a spellcaster to Lucid Dream, Autohypnosis Spellcraft or UMD for crying out loud. Maybe spellcasters should get bonuses (CL/Spell DC stat bonus to the check?), but that is further homebrew.

There are several ways to become immortal via aging, there is a handbook somewhere i will dig out.

KillianHawkeye
2014-07-31, 06:56 AM
Yeah, as Vaz indicated, if you're trying for immortality you're probably going to want to use actual magic rather than the quasi-magical effects that alchemical substances produce.

Of course, if you're the DM, you can definitely make alchemical immortality a thing in your campaign world.

DeltaEmil
2014-07-31, 07:06 AM
You need to be a spellcaster to create alchemical items listed in the Player's Handbook 1. Other alchemical items in books like Complete Adventurer, Frostburn, Sandstorm, the air plant and stink pot from Stormwrack and so on do not require you to be a spellcaster to create them.

KillianHawkeye
2014-07-31, 07:16 AM
You need to be a spellcaster to create alchemical items listed in the Player's Handbook 1. Other alchemical items in books like Complete Adventurer, Frostburn, Sandstorm, the air plant and stink pot from Stormwrack and so on do not require you to be a spellcaster to create them.

I'm pretty sure that is not correct. The requirement to be a spellcaster is part of the Craft (alchemy) skill, not the items that you can make with it.

To make an item using Craft (alchemy), you must have alchemical equipment and be a spellcaster.

DeltaEmil
2014-07-31, 07:20 AM
I'm pretty sure that is not correct. The requirement to be a spellcaster is part of the Craft (alchemy) skill, not the items that you can make with it.Hmm. Seems that you're right, and I was wrong all the time. Mundanes really can't have nice things at all.

KillianHawkeye
2014-07-31, 07:24 AM
Hmm. Seems that you're right, and I was wrong all the time. Mundanes really can't have nice things at all.

Nope! LOL :smallamused:

Diovid
2014-07-31, 09:44 AM
Hey there.

I'm still fairly new to the lore of D&D in general, and I haven't been able to find an answer to my question elsewhere.

Would it be possible to animate dead cells or artificially sustain life through alchemy in a D&D setting?

The perfect scenario I'm hoping to achieve is to have my character perform enough tests on himself to eventually become immortal (age only, can still be killed through injuries). But I haven't found anything that either confirms or denies this possibility. So now I come to you.
An Artificer 5 / Alchemist Savant 5 / Master Alchemist 10 or a Wizard 5 / Alchemist Savant 5 / Master Alchemist 10 can do some pretty awesome things using alchemy.

Otherwise, what you're asking about sounds more like grafting than alchemy. Elemental Scion of Zilargo and Fleshwarper are two prestige classes that explicitly deal with grafts and there are also quite a few feats dealing with grafts.

Graye
2014-08-01, 04:28 AM
Thanks for all your replies :) I'll try and figure something out with what's been said.