PDA

View Full Version : How would you make Saxton Hale from TF2 in 3.5/PF?

aleucard
2014-07-31, 03:01 AM
This guy is completely absurd, and I probably want to try him at some point. I want to hear your thoughts on this incarnation of insanity, and how to transplant him into 3.5/PF. Mighty Contender of Kord from Dragon #283 is one obvious choice, and an appropriately-built Tashalatora Psychic Warrior could also do the job (maybe with "gauntlets" for weapons that are refluffed as just his fists?), but I want to hear some from you. This guy's just too ridiculous to not be tried at least once.:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: If you want to give some thoughts on other TF2 people, I'm all ears.

Sir Chuckles
2014-07-31, 03:21 AM
I've actually built all the TF2 classes as 10th level characters. They were all completely rubbish, as they were meant as enemies for my players who fight like they're half their actual level. And was from when my rules-fu and op-fu was half of what it is now.

As for Saxton Hale, you take pretty much any "unarmed big martial dude" build and call it good. Unarmed Swordsage for Setting Sun is a personal favorite of mine.

Arbane
2014-07-31, 04:43 AM
For SAXTON HALE!, Pathfinder Brutal Pugilist Barbarian sounds about right to me. (What's the LA on an Australian?)

For the team (PF + a few things from Eberron:

Scout: Halfling Monk (for sheer ANNOYANCE value)
Pyro: Half-Orc (we _think_...) Crossblooded Dragon/Orc-Blooded Sorcerer with ALL the fire spells. ALL OF THEM.
Soldier: Human Barbarian.
Demoman:Dwarf Alchemist.
Heavy: Warforged Fighter.
Medic: Drow Life Oracle.
Engineer: Human Artificer.
Sniper: Elf Ranger (favored enemy: Humans).
Spy: Changeling (Eberron, not PF) Rogue.

Graypairofsocks
2014-07-31, 05:03 AM
I would give him levels in War Hulk, as No time to think seems appropriate to him.

Although it would require bypassing the large size or larger requirement.

aleucard
2014-07-31, 08:46 PM
The campaign that I'd be building this guy for disallows Tome of Battle entirely (the classes make basically all other martial classes obsolete, and cherrypicking from it would turn into a DM headache), and while War Hulk WOULD fit, I'd prefer to go with Mighty Contender. A 1-2 level Monk dip for the various bonuses that come with it (and the Monk AC fits Hale pretty well too; he doesn't seem the Armor type), a level of Prestige Paladin for getting Paladin-only spells and Battle Blessing (probably fluff it so that the word 'Paladin' isn't even in Hale's dictionary, he's just that Good, though I'll have to convince my DM to allow this to be a Paladin of Freedom for CG), 10 levels of Contender the instant I get access, and Sacred Fist to round it off. Since I'm working with 32 Point Buy, my stats are likely to be 18 Wis, 16 Str, 12 Con, 10 Dex, and 8 Int/Cha. I'll get enough turning to Persist Divine Power at least, and mainly focus on Self and Party Buffs, then beat face with my fists. Depending on my race (probably Human, but there may be other interesting options too), I may go for the Paragon class too if the bonuses are juicy enough.

Spy would be nearly a perfect fit for Master of Masks. Depending on how the distance issue is dealt with, Sniper would do pretty well with Unseen Seer. Heavy WOULD work well with War Hulk, actually. I've been wanting to try a Runesmith Demoknight for a while, actually. And for the rest, yeah I got nothing.

Arbane
2014-08-02, 11:36 PM
I've been wanting to try a Runesmith Demoknight for a while, actually.

He prepared Explosive Runes this morning?

enderlord99
2014-08-02, 11:44 PM
Pun-pun.

Incidentally, Pun-pun works just as well (read: very poorly) for Chuck Norris (and just about any other memetic badass.)

aleucard
2014-08-04, 02:51 AM
He prepared Explosive Runes this morning?

Considering how Runesmith works, given some down time, he has at least one copy of every possible permutation of spell, metamagic, and other augmentations he could possibly generate, several in easy-use form. He has enough spells to do blasting if he wants.

Part of why I like this is that my ideal final-fight use of him would go somewhere as follows;

Demoman to BBEG: "I've been preparing for this fight since the day I first met you. Wanna see what I got?"

BBEG to Demoman: "Hmph. Do your worst."

Demoman to BBEG: "You asked for it. Ka-" *uses some mechanism to set off every offensive spell he has in store, all pointed at BBEG* "BOOOM!!!!!"

*explosion visible from space, similar to how Joshscorcher on Youtube ends his videos*

*1d6 rounds of BBEG getting his bearings straight* BBEG: "Haah... Haah... That was your... Hahh... Best?" *he's beat to all Hell, staring blankly at the floor*

*immediately after, as Demoman used Emerald Immolation from Jade Phoenix Mage to set off the Great, Big, Earth-Shattering Kaboom* "Just about laddie."

BBEG, stunned: "No."

Demoman, right in front of BBEG: "Heh. Yep."

Boot-to-the-head.

A better finisher does not exist in the framework of DnD 3.5 that would fit this character, possibly even if that restriction were lifted as well.