PDA

View Full Version : GINTAMA I : Let's start the fire!

Yumori Zatsuken
2014-07-31, 03:26 AM
So this is a thread where you discuss about the action/comedy anime Gintama. I never saw a thread about Gintama, so I decided to start it anyway. If you haven't watched Gintama yet, please do!

How do you describe Gintama in one way?

It's a very super serious anime about a Samurai named Gintoki Sakata, who is now a freelancer living in a world taken over by aliens. He meets a boy along the way, a young man called Shinpachi Shimura, and then, the NEET Samurai meets a girl with superhuman strength, Kagura Yato.

Lionheart
2014-07-31, 04:42 AM
Best. Anime. Ever.

VariSami
2014-07-31, 04:50 AM
Best. Anime. Ever.

Word.

Too bad Gintama is not currently airing, and at least I do not read the manga. Plus, the last time it did, most of the episodes were re-runs. Which is actually quite funny because how many shows may show old episodes, completely unchanged, and call it a new season? It was simply so appropriate, considering how humor in Gintama is constructed.

Anteros
2014-07-31, 09:41 PM
I gave the manga about 30 chapters before I finally lost interest. It was good, and well drawn...but the lack of an overarching plot eventually caused me to get bored.

Is the anime better? Maybe I should give it a try.

VariSami
2014-08-01, 01:29 AM
I gave the manga about 30 chapters before I finally lost interest. It was good, and well drawn...but the lack of an overarching plot eventually caused me to get bored.

Is the anime better? Maybe I should give it a try.

Well, it does have an over-aching plot... But that plot emerges only occasionally and sometimes completely unexpectedly. Excluding the very first episode, we see the team get together in the first few episodes. Afterwards, there will be exposition about Gin's past with the addition of Zura and in the form of a more serious arc. These serious arcs will punctuate the rest of the series and always add some lasting consequences such as additional characters and milieus. While I always enjoyed them the most, being able to enjoy Gintama as a whole also requires being able to appreciate the gag episodes because the majority of the series still consists of those.

Anteros
2014-08-01, 01:45 AM
See, I got about 30 chapters in with no plot at all...and then considering the series was like 500 chapters long and still ongoing, I didn't want to make that level of investment for a story that may never go anywhere.

Lionheart
2014-08-01, 07:59 AM
Yeah, the plot is fantastic when it comes up, but you're lucky to get a single plot developing episode out of every 30 or so.

I am personally a huge fan of the humour and wackiness of the show as well, so I don't mind the lack of plot so much. I genuinely can't think of a single episode I didn't like.

Anyone want to talk about their favourite "serious arc"

Mine is the Shinsengumi Rebellion, Sougo and Hijikata are my favourite characters, and I love that this focuses on their relationship and the Shinsengumi as a whole. Loved it

Yumori Zatsuken
2014-08-01, 09:29 AM
My favorite is the Benizakura arc. Loved the movie of it, too.

VariSami
2014-08-01, 02:05 PM
Humm, that is a hard question to answer. Although the arcs may be considered a separate group from the rest of the show due to their seriousness, they are also very different from one another. Thus, ranking them seems almost impossible.

Both of the mentioned arcs were great. I must admit that Benizakura might be overshadowed a little by the latter arcs in my books but it was also probably the first of the truly epic arcs. The Shinsengumi Rebellion arc was also great, and I was particularly awed by both the mood whiplash and the ensuing personal struggle. However, I might lean towards Yoshiwara in Flames.