PDA

View Full Version : Warlock build help

Effero
2014-07-31, 09:45 AM
So I want to build a character for a campaign from level 1 to 20 in a low-med op setting. I've never played a warlock before but I stumbled across a build (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=93.0) that gave me an idea for the character I wanted to build. But it didn't quite fit so I need help with a few things.

Character Idea (at level 20) - He rules a city in the Abyss that focuses on corrupting mortals to sin and eventually trading away their souls for more of the city's pleasures. He is able to keep his power by diplomacy (ie turning enemy demonlords against each other and has the backing of others), but if diplomacy fails he is able to hold his own in combat, where he uses his Eldritch Claws rip into his enemy.

Adaptation (without changing much) - CE Lesser Drow Warlock 2/Demon bloodline 1/Warlock +2/Demon bloodline +1/Demonbinder 4/Hellfire warlock 1/Demon bloodline +1/Hellfire warlock +2/Fiend of corruption 6

1. Strongheart vest will not work to prevent Con damage from Hellfire Warlock. What are my best options?

2. That thread claims that devil bloodline levels add to demonbinder, hellfire warlock and fiend of possession at the same time, I haven't found any info online to back that up. Is this correct? Does Demon bloodline do the same? Where can I find it?

3. DM is debating on allowing gestalt, if he does the rule is to take a single class for the other side. I was thinking of taking Battle Dancer for the damage to unarmed and bonuses to AC. Is there a better option for unarmed damage and AC?

EDIT:

New build:
Unholy Scion (LA +5, but with LA buyback I should get 3 levels back, I think)
Warlock 8/ Binder 1/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Fiend of Corruption 6 (Not in that order)

Any better? Worse? nevermind

nedz
2014-07-31, 09:55 AM
I built a Warlock / Demonbinder a few years ago. I really couldn't see the point of having more than 1 level of Demonbinder because Damnation Points = Demonbinder Level + Cha Mod. I had ramped up Cha and was only going for a simply binding also I wanted more Eldritch Blast dice; YMMV.

Gestalt: Move the FoP to the other side = more Warlock stuff. I'm not sure about the rules regarding Bloodlines and Gestalts — you may have an issue here.

Randomguy
2014-07-31, 09:56 AM
1. Strongheart vest will not work to prevent Con damage from Hellfire Warlock. What are my best options?

Take a level of binder and bind Naberious, that will let you heal 1 point of ability damage every round. It fits thematically, too.

2. That thread claims that devil bloodline levels add to demonbinder, hellfire warlock and fiend of possession at the same time, I haven't found any info online to back that up. Is this correct? Does Demon bloodline do the same? Where can I find it?

Bloodline rules are pretty complicated. If it's not a high op game you should probably avoid them. They're in Unearthed Arcana, or in the SRD here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm)

LentilNinja
2014-07-31, 11:10 AM

If you don't want to spend a level dipping into Binder, Magic item Compendium has a Rod of Bodily Restoration for about 3k.

The rod has 3 charges, which are renewed each day at dawn. Spending 1 or more charges heals damage to one or more of the target's physical ability scores.
1 charge: Heal 4 points of Str, Dex, or Con damage (your choice), or 2 points of damage to all three ability scores.
2 charges: Heal 6 points of Str, Dex, or Con damage (your choice), or 3 points of damage to all three ability scores.
3 charges: Heal 8 points of Str, Dex, or Con damage (your choice), or 4 points of damage to all three ability scores.

Effero
2014-07-31, 11:13 AM
Bloodline rules are pretty complicated. If it's not a high op game you should probably avoid them. They're in Unearthed Arcana, or in the SRD here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm)

It doesn't seem all that bad. Lose 3 class levels to gain abilities over the coarse of 20 levels. My problem is that its unclear if the Bloodline levels stack with my class levels for my Eldritch blast damage. If it does not I would easily drop it for the extra damage in warlock.

Effero
2014-07-31, 12:33 PM
New build:
Warlock 8/ Binder 1/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Fiend of Corruption 6 (Not in that order)

Any better? Worse?

Ellowryn
2014-07-31, 12:57 PM
New build:

Any better? Worse?

Umm, you do realize that LA means that the character isn't playable from level 1? Or in this case befor level 6. See if you can grab one of the savage progression classes from Savage Species. There are a couple of them that give Outsider (Evil) subtype +Good Will saves, so grab 1 level of that, 1 of warlock, and 1 binder and you can get into FoP at level 4, or if you want to get into HW at level 11 then grab 6 SPC 1/Warlock 6/Binder 1/FoP 2.

Effero
2014-07-31, 01:34 PM
Umm, you do realize that LA means that the character isn't playable from level 1? Or in this case befor level 6. See if you can grab one of the savage progression classes from Savage Species. There are a couple of them that give Outsider (Evil) subtype +Good Will saves, so grab 1 level of that, 1 of warlock, and 1 binder and you can get into FoP at level 4, or if you want to get into HW at level 11 then grab 6 SPC 1/Warlock 6/Binder 1/FoP 2.

Yeah, I completely forgot to count that LA back in... I added that in last to get the type change. I didn't even think to use Savage Species but if I'm not mistaken don't you have to take the entire monster class before you take anything else?

nedz
2014-07-31, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I completely forgot to count that LA back in... I added that in last to get the type change. I didn't even think to use Savage Species but if I'm not mistaken don't you have to take the entire monster class before you take anything else?

Savage Species is 3.0. WotC did update many of them with the Savage Progressions Web articles — these present the templates as {light template*} + Racial Class — and you don't have to take all levels of the Savage Progression Racial Classes.
(* Optional, not all Savage Progressions have templates; and those which do are LA+0 or maybe LA+1)

Now WotC have, in their wisdom, just recently moved all of the Savage Progressions Web articles — but you can find them here http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp

Effero
2014-07-31, 04:23 PM
Savage Species is 3.0. WotC did update many of them with the Savage Progressions Web articles — these present the templates as {light template*} + Racial Class — and you don't have to take all levels of the Savage Progression Racial Classes.
(* Optional, not all Savage Progressions have templates; and those which do are LA+0 or maybe LA+1)

Now WotC have, in their wisdom, just recently moved all of the Savage Progressions Web articles — but you can find them here http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp

Thanks I will look into this.