PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Custom Archetype] Hookmaster - looking for impressions

Secret Wizard
2014-07-31, 02:26 PM
Hey all! I created a custom archetype for the Cavalier for a custom race of mine -- but it can be easily applied to any Small race.

Here is the HOOKMASTER! (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X78wy0Iifi5s1ZtGcotsROnH_BKL5C5HEuKkPAII66s/edit?usp=sharing)

It's almost an alternate class since it changes so many things from the Cavalier, but I really liked the Cavalier template in terms of saves, hit dice, progression, and the fact that Challenge is very useful to manage the power-level of this archetype - not to mention Banner and Tactician work really well for a party guide type.

Looking for impressions - is it balanced? Does it look fun to play? Is it repetitive or does it provide interesting choices in combat? Would it be fun to roleplay? Do you think you have enough choices to customize this archetype properly?

Thanks!

Secret Wizard
2014-08-02, 03:11 AM
Feedbax plox

Doorhandle
2014-08-03, 10:32 PM
Not everyone can access google docs. Can you post the information up on this forum so everyone can see it?

Onto the weapon itself: Needing an entirely different feast for it, doing different damage based on handedness, and needing to do exactly 4 damage for climbing seems needlessly complex.

Chains of duty seems a little more powerful than the class features from other classes, but not hugely so. You need to mention you can only perform combat maneuvers on creatures 1 size larger than yourself by default with the item.

Grip tricks is very flexible but it's also a lot of book-keeping: maybe make a chart for the effective benefits each trick gives you? Also, a lot more powerful than a lot of class features, but, y'know, fighters need nice things.

Aside from that it seems to be an interesting archetype, although one different enough to make you wonder why it isn't an entirely different class.

Secret Wizard
2014-08-04, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the comments! I've decided to make it an alternate class as you said -- allowing for some flexibility thanks to choice of cavalier Order.

When I finish the remake, I'll try to post it somewhere more visible than google docs.