PDA

View Full Version : How can I get the Incorporeal Subtype?

Effero
2014-07-31, 07:56 PM
Are there any ways to gain the Incorporeal Subtype without becoming Undead?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-31, 08:00 PM
Psion Uncarnate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionUncarnate.htm) or be an Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm).

Ellowryn
2014-07-31, 08:02 PM
The only one i know of is the Psion Uncarnate class from Expanded Psionics Handbook. The Phantom Template from MM5 allows you to become incorpreal as long as you wish, but doesnt give you the subtype.

Edit: Dangitt! Swordsaged again!!:smallfurious:

Effero
2014-07-31, 08:10 PM
Awesome, I can't believe I forgot about the Psion Uncarnate. Thanks guys.

Aegis013
2014-07-31, 08:14 PM
You can also do it, although quite temporarily, with the Apparition Ribbon soulmeld (and throat chakra) from Magic of Incarnum, and the One With Shadow maneuver from Tome of Battle.

OldTrees1
2014-07-31, 08:23 PM
Incorporeal Ritual[Savage Species]: LA+2

Anthrowhale
2014-07-31, 09:09 PM
Also:
(1) Telthor from Unapproachable East.
(2) Permeable form [3rd level spell, 1 round duration]
(3) Ghostform [8th level spell, level rounds duration]

Hazrond
2014-07-31, 09:13 PM
Be a Joystealer (MM5) :smallbiggrin:

Necroticplague
2014-07-31, 10:02 PM
Play a ghost. Use the template class if the LA is a bit high (at least shaves off 1 LA, commonly shaves off 3).

Effero
2014-07-31, 10:14 PM
Be a Joystealer (MM5 MM IV) :smallbiggrin:

That is a beauty, but how do you turn it into a PC Race? And does Drain Emotions (Su) seem incomplete to anyone else? Nevermind, figured that out.

Jeff the Green
2014-07-31, 11:12 PM
Play a ghost. Use the template class if the LA is a bit high (at least shaves off 1 LA, commonly shaves off 3).

Even better, be a Ghostwalk ghost for 0 LA.

Hazrond
2014-07-31, 11:15 PM
That is a beauty, but how do you turn it into a PC Race? And does Drain Emotions (Su) seem incomplete to anyone else? Nevermind, figured that out.

From what ive been told you just reverse-engineer the racial mods by taking the sample ability and subtracting 10 if its even, 11 if its odd, after that just take the LA and racial abilities and there it is (At least that is how i was taught to do it)

Effero
2014-07-31, 11:37 PM
From what ive been told you just reverse-engineer the racial mods by taking the sample ability and subtracting 10 if its even, 11 if its odd, after that just take the LA and racial abilities and there it is (At least that is how i was taught to do it)

Thanks again, I think I got it. Joystealer is 6HD and LA +4 so I'm not sure I can pull what I want with it though.

Joystealer
6d6 HD
Base attack bonus equal to ½ total Hit Dice (as wizard).
Good Reflex and Will saves.
Skill points equal to (6 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.
6 Fey Levels gives 3 Feats
+1 to an Ability Score
-- Str,+6 Dex,+2 Con,+2 Int,+2 Wis,+4 Cha +8 Cha

Hazrond
2014-07-31, 11:44 PM
Thanks again, I think I got it. Joystealer is 6HD and LA +4 so I'm not sure I can pull what I want with it though.

Joystealer
6d6 HD
Base attack bonus equal to ½ total Hit Dice (as wizard).
Good Reflex and Will saves.
Skill points equal to (6 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.
6 Fey Levels gives 3 Feats
+1 to an Ability Score
-- Str,+6 Dex,+2 Con,+2 Int,+2 Wis,+4 Cha

Honestly if i were to ever use it i would ask the DM to drop the RHD, RHD are just a pain for everyone involved

Edit: also are you SURE its only +4, i seem to remember the Cha mod being higher?:smallconfused:
Edit 2: just checked my book and i got a cha mod of +8
Edit 3: incase i was being confusing what i mean is +8 to the stat, not a +8 modifier (Thats like what, a 26?)

Effero
2014-07-31, 11:47 PM
Honestly if i were to ever use it i would ask the DM to drop the RHD, RHD are just a pain for everyone involved

Edit: also are you SURE its only +4, i seem to remember the Cha mod being higher?:smallconfused:

Your Right its +8

Edit: You beat me to it.

Hazrond
2014-07-31, 11:50 PM
Your Right its +8

If you go with a Joystealer grab Ghostly Grasp (Libris Mortis) at level 1, it lets you pick stuff up and due to the wording of the incorporeal subtype the stuff becomes both incorporeal AND weightless while you keep holding on to it :smallbiggrin:

Effero
2014-08-01, 12:00 AM
If you go with a Joystealer grab Ghostly Grasp (Libris Mortis) at level 1, it lets you pick stuff up and due to the wording of the incorporeal subtype the stuff becomes both incorporeal AND weightless while you keep holding on to it :smallbiggrin:

There seems to be some debate (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3372.0) on that matter but I have every intention of trying to convince my DM to go with your interpretation.

Edit: I changed my mind, I think I will go with the other side and try to convince him that donning armor should give me concealment or total concealment if I go with plate mail. Plus I could be a melee fighter with a corporeal weapon.

Hazrond
2014-08-01, 12:37 AM
There seems to be some debate (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3372.0) on that matter but I have every intention of trying to convince my DM to go with your interpretation.

Edit: I changed my mind, I think I will go with the other side and try to convince him that donning armor should give me concealment or total concealment if I go with plate mail. Plus I could be a melee fighter with a corporeal weapon.

might i just point out that you are incorporeal, meaning you get Cha to AC? with the huge racial mod you should be getting the equivalent of full plate before you even ADD armor, also the way your edit described fails for one reason, you have no strength score, if its still corporeal it weighs and you dont have a strength score meaning you cant actually move in it

Effero
2014-08-01, 12:52 AM
might i just point out that you are incorporeal, meaning you get Cha to AC? with the huge racial mod you should be getting the equivalent of full plate before you even ADD armor, also the way your edit described fails for one reason, you have no strength score, if its still corporeal it weighs and you dont have a strength score meaning you cant actually move in it

Hmmm, that kinda makes that debate moot then doesn't it. If the objects you interact are corporeal and have weight, and you have no strength score, how do you lift them even with Ghostly Grasp? Guess that leaves the only other explanation, that it too becomes incorporeal. So how do you interact with Ghost Touch items? They are corporeal right?

Hazrond
2014-08-01, 12:55 AM
Hmmm, that kinda makes that debate moot then doesn't it. If the objects you interact are corporeal and have weight, and you have no strength score, how do you lift them even with Ghostly Grasp? Guess that leaves the only other explanation, that it too becomes incorporeal. So how do you interact with Ghost Touch items? They are corporeal right?

no they are incorporeal, they just ACT like corporeal, kinda like how a corporeal one ACTS incorporeal

Cruiser1
2014-08-01, 12:57 AM
Are there any ways to gain the Incorporeal Subtype without becoming Undead?
Cast Permeable Form (LoM), a 3rd level Sor/Wiz spell which makes you incorporeal for 1 round. Persist it (it's Range: Personal so doesn't require any tricks to do so) and you're incorporeal forever if you cast it once a day. :smallsmile: