PDA

View Full Version : Psy War or Ardent

Regissoma
2014-07-31, 08:43 PM
So I am making a psionic melee gish of sorts for a campaign. We are starting at level 6 and we are allowed one flaw and one trait. I have been debating between submitting an Ardent or a Psy War. For Ardent it most likely look like Ardent 10 atleast, while for Psy War I've gotten permission to use PF War Mind which allows me to progress my powers for Psy War so around Psy War 5/War Mind 1 so far.

My stat roll is 13,16,17,16,16,16 with the extra +1 from level 4 to place anywhere. I have not selected any race, and can chose any race as long as its on d20srd or in the complete books. All feats outside of those sources must be passed through the DM so it be great to limit it to those actual sources.

So I thought that you guys in the playground could possibly help me with this character, and it appreciated.

dextercorvia
2014-07-31, 10:30 PM
Personally I prefer the Ardent. It is more customizable. Neither are anything to scoff at though.

Because of the way Ardents pick powers, you can take the first two levels of Psychic Warrior on your Ardent without sacrificing much versatility, if you think the feats would be useful. Just make sure you don't take them both together. *Edit rethinking this, as you would have to spend a feat on Practiced Manifester to pull this off, it probably isn't worth it.

For Gishy Mantles I like Freedom, Pain and Suffering, Justice, and Physical Power.

Freedom because of Time Hop, and the extra speed is nice. The P&S special ability is fun on a Karmic/Robilar's build. Justice is good if you are prone to flanking with someone. Physical Power just has some of the classic psionic buffs. Of course all of the mantles benefit from a bit of customization as per the Mind's Eye article.

Keld Denar
2014-07-31, 10:32 PM
Are you allowed to use the Mind's Eye power swap? If so, Ardent. They get more PP. If not, PsyWar just has a lot of powers that aren't on any of the mantle lists. Core things like Expansion or Psionic Lion's Charge or Share Pain. Powers that nearly every PsyWar takes.

If you are judicious with your use of PP, PsyWar has the better list. If you can swing it, google the Psycarnum Warrior build from the old 339 boards. Thats a kickass passive ability "gish" that seldom runs out of fuel.

Regissoma
2014-07-31, 10:54 PM
Well alright then time to build myself an Ardent. I would use that Psy War build, but I don't want to break the game. Now what to do for this Ardent.

Would Ardent 10/Sanctified Mind 1/ anarchic initiate 3/ Sanctified Mind 5/X 1 work?

Keld Denar
2014-07-31, 11:38 PM
It looks good on paper, but what are your powers known? Having an outstanding chassis is great, but a lack of awesome powers makes it terrible. If you have doubts, just ask the Ranger.

Also, needs more Ghosthunter? from Hyperconsious.

Regissoma
2014-08-01, 12:02 AM
Well I want to aim for are the Time and Freedom mantles at least.Outside of that I actually am having trouble picking out powers. I want most of whats on the time and freedom mantles though for I want to sub in Inconstant Location into it. I do have access to Mind's Eye, and I will run everything through with the DM just in case on each matter.

Psyren
2014-08-01, 09:18 AM
Also, needs more Ghosthunter? from Hyperconsious.

(Ghostbreaker)

It looks like someone put it up on DanDwiki (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Hyperconscious:_Explorations_in_Psionics) (wait, hear me out), which should be fine as the PrC chapter is OGL. Based on my own copy of Hyperconscious it appears accurate.