PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Uninspired Character Building

Orsyn
2014-07-31, 08:45 PM
I've a bit of a problem, and so I turn once more to the playground:

In the newest game I'm in, the DM has banned a handful of classes that, while not an extensive list, basically rules out my entire list of characters I'd been statting up in my head. I rolled up a Cavalier, since it seemed interesting at first, but the more I think about it, the less I really feel any need to play him. He's just...bland, in both personality and mechanics. Therefore, I've been thinking about rewriting, since we're allowed to do so until level two.

My question is: how do you handle character generation writer's block? What should I do if I simply can't find anything that I want to play? Has anyone else run into this?

NightbringerGGZ
2014-07-31, 08:51 PM

In the newest game I'm in, the DM has banned a handful of classes that, while not an extensive list, basically rules out my entire list of characters I'd been statting up in my head. I rolled up a Cavalier, since it seemed interesting at first, but the more I think about it, the less I really feel any need to play him. He's just...bland, in both personality and mechanics. Therefore, I've been thinking about rewriting, since we're allowed to do so until level two.

My question is: how do you handle character generation writer's block? What should I do if I simply can't find anything that I want to play? Has anyone else run into this?

Have you tried just coming up with a character concept? Don't pick a class, pick an idea and then figure out which class or combo of classes give you the abilities you need to pull of the idea. For instance, in a recent Zelda based game I wanted a Goron based on Hulk Hogan. So I went with a Maneuver Master Monk that focused on Dirty Tricks =)

Tvtyrant
2014-07-31, 09:36 PM
Pick a fictional character (not anime!) and try to recreate them.

Doorhandle
2014-07-31, 09:42 PM

What classes are allowed? What do you usually play?

One idea is to find a method that is normally suboptimal and find a way to make it work, such as dual-wielding torches or only using 1 weapon.

Orsyn
2014-07-31, 09:52 PM
What classes are allowed? What do you usually play?

Monk, gunslinger, and summoner are banned for storey reasons. Otherwise it's all core races and all "Ultimate" books.

One idea is to find a method that is normally suboptimal and find a way to make it work, such as dual-wielding torches or only using 1 weapon.

There was a rock-throwing build I saw a while back that seemed entertaining

Muggins
2014-07-31, 10:11 PM
I've experienced the same problem before. It's hard to come up with new ideas when your old ones get shot down.

Monk, gunslinger, and summoner are banned for storey reasons. Otherwise it's all core races and all "Ultimate" books.
Ninjas are kinda like Monks, right? Summoners are just fancy minioneers; go with a Ranger, Druid or something else with spellcasting and some animal companionship. There are plenty of firearm archetypes which you can use instead of Gunslinger, but since the problem there is probably "no firearms" (rather than just not wanting THAT class, specifically) you might just need to find an optimised archery build.

It's hard to give any real recommendations without knowing what you wanted the most of your various character ideas. Doubly so if we don't know why the classes were banned ("doesn't fit the setting" is incredibly vague), but that's probably beyond our reach (and not your fault).

Doorhandle
2014-07-31, 10:12 PM
That's a start. Be a barbarian, get the hurling rage powers, power attack and furious focus, as well as a belt of mighty hurling if you can get one. Cackle while tossing carts at people.

Reminds me of an idea for a build I had where you hurl swords at people...

Dimcair
2014-08-01, 02:56 AM
May I ask WHY your DM bans the Monk?

Summoner? Fair enough, summons do slow down combat.
Gunslinger? Guns might not fit into his setting.
But Monk? Why.... please don't tell me he bans them because he pictures a typical bald, Asian, karate fighting character....

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-08-01, 03:13 AM
Play something silly until it either grows on you or you have a better idea.

troqdor1316
2014-08-01, 03:16 AM
Try Psionics! Your DM didn't ban them, and Soulknives are actually pretty cool now that they don't suck as much as in 3.5. They're also built with the idea of throwing their mind blade in...um...mind.

Spore
2014-08-01, 03:28 AM
I have the same problem. But most of the time the blandest characters become my favorites. It's comparing a sketch that you have to color and add things in with a fully created portrait right from the start. The first gives you opportunity to fill blanks while adventuring, the second one is a miserable try to fit in all the things you've prepared for your character.

For example: My rogue was a typical everyman except he stole a rare artifact from the local thieves' guild and was wanted. He had a mother owning a brothel in the slums as well as a sister working for the city guards. That was all. The character developed his quirks and mannerisms during the adventure.

On the other hand I built an Aasimar summoner with a large angelic eidolon. He was affiliated with solving problems before it comes to a court session, also 80 years old, hates undead and has a special bond to his outsider. He had all this from the start and he was a mess to play.