PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Deadwood (D&D 3.5)

Pelor
2014-08-01, 03:40 AM
The Frontier
20 Miles East of Deadwood

The night is chilly, bordering cold. It is Mid-Spring, and while snow is little more than a distant memory, winter still has not finally released is icy grip on Northwestern Merica Territories. While the weather is chilly it is not as bad as it was when you set out several weeks, or even months ago, depending on where you came from. Regardless, you now see the light at the end of the tunnel. The Big River territory. A land with no laws and chock full of opportunity.

You have all heard the rumors. Gold by the handfuls just laying in creeks, waiting to be claimed. Wildlife so thick you can't throw a rock without hitting one. Of course, you have also heard the other rumors. The ones people seem to forget when they set out. Bandits and Highway men praying on weary travelers. The "Savage" natives scalping and killing the noble pioneer who only comes to claim what is rightfully his.

Either way, you are here now. While you each have your own reasons for coming: gold, money, and a fresh start were all to promising to pass up.

The group you are traveling with has set up camp and nightfall is fast approaching.

Some cotchery ol' human by the name of Wiggum, is preparing meals at reasonable prices, just as he does every night. It seems he brought and endless supply of beans, potatoes, and hard biscuits. He typically has an different meat every night, usually purchased by the Dwarven Huntsman, Haggard. It seems tonights fare will be deer steak, beans, potatoes and hard biscuits... differing only from last night in that it was rabbit on a stick, beans, potatoes, and hard biscuits.

None the less, no one can complain at 2sp per plate or 5sp for all you can eat. The food is fairly decent, if you can excuse Wiggum's terrible hygiene and unsanitary handling of the food.

There is a group of about fifteen people around the campfire, when Wiggums calls for everyone to, "Come'n be gettin' whiles it still good'n hot!"

Conversation can now be struck up.

podig
2014-08-01, 08:02 AM
With another day behind them, they all had only one day more of riding. Quaid dismounts from his trusty mule, and rubs his thighs where the saddle has worn against them. Seeing a child looking at him strangely from next to her family's coach, he smiles, a wide, toothy grin. She runs to hide behind her mother's skirts, and Quaid sets off for the food line.

He marvels at the size of the group, but takes comfort in knowing that the savages usually don't attack such a large number of settlers. He feels a little glad to have found this large group heading west. If it was still just him, he might be more worried, but surrounded by all these capable looking men, they should be able to protect themselves, and the women and children. He has a shield slung over his back, a longsword at his hip, and sling tucked into his waistband.

As he stands in the food line, he dreams about what he will do when they finally reach Deadwood. Then he sees Haggard, and nods to the dwarf. "Good hunting today?" he asks, friendly.

esorscher
2014-08-01, 08:57 AM
A slight woman dismounts from her bareback horse, which immediately begins grazing around her feet. She smiles, and pats its nose, not even bothering to tie the animal up. The horse grazes happily, while the woman heads toward the gathered group. A dog bounds up after her, and she kneels to pet it, scratching behind the ears. The dog grins as it pants, and the woman grabs an empty plate from Wiggum, which she pours a bit of water on from her waterskin for Dog to drink from. She sits with Dog while he drinks, and when he has lapped up all the water on the plate, she carries it with her to the chow line for Wiggum to put food on.

While she waits, she looks at the assembled group. The warrior with the shield in line ahead of her catches her notice, as few would deign to speak to a dwarf. Then, she touches her belt pouch compulsively, feeling the carved pipe through the fabric. One more day, she thinks to herself. Her own stash had run out days ago, but as she gazed out on the fields of grass with Wyssin plants scattered among the stalks, she knew that any enterprising individual in Deadwood would have that which she craved. And, if not, it would be a simple matter to manufacture some herself, once she had set herself up there. Now, on the road and among these strangers, it would be too dangerous to risk, even to fulfill her craving. She tucks a lock of loose hair behind her ear, listening to the conversations around her, saying nothing for the time being. Dog stands dutifully at her side, but her horse wanders free over the grass, the sound of its chewing echoing out over the plains.

WindStruck
2014-08-01, 12:11 PM
"Smith", as he'd been calling himself the last few weeks, sat quietly to himself playing solitaire. Cards almost seemed like his whole life now. But in any case, it was something to do, and he didn't feel like striking up random conversations about the weather, family, what one has done in the past. In fact, the last two were things he specifically avoided talking about.

When Wiggums calls for dinner, Smith carefully gathers up all his cards and puts them in his pocket. He winds up in line behind the fetching lass who apparently had great animal affinity. She was also a good gambler, as he recalled, but something about her made him think it unwise to cross her.

Smith pays 2 sp, as one plate was quite filling for him anyway, and sits near the fire, closer to the others compared to moments before. I mean, he wasn't terribly social, but it's not like he was a complete outcast either. He mostly listens as the others talk about things.

Pelor
2014-08-01, 05:40 PM
The Dwarf looks to Quaid as he inquires about the hunting of the day. "Like shooting fish in a barrel around here. Plenty of game, you don't even have to know where to look." Haggard does not seem to view himself as anyone's lesser like most dwarves. That most likely means one of two things. He is either really dumb, or really dangerous. Most of you would bet on the latter to be true.

Vhaidara
2014-08-01, 06:50 PM
Jack, still slightly unaccustomed to this life of moving, and missing her work with the trees, walks up to Wiggums and holds out a hand. In it are six coins. None of them are silver. All of them are gold.
Food?
She still doesn't like this. Back home, some men had tried to hug her, and so she had hugged back. The next day, Mr. Weatherton made her leave with these strangers. She had fought, and eventually he let her take axe and his babies, but he wouldn't let her look for their mother. Well, now she must be their mommy.

Pelor
2014-08-01, 09:42 PM
Wiggum looks at Jack and shakes like leaf as he plucks a single gold coin out of her hand. He almost immediately places 5sp back in the Orc's hand. Perhaps he is just very honest, or perhaps he is just very scared of Jack, but either way, he gave Jack a fair deal... assuming of course, that Jack eats more than one plate of food.

Vhaidara
2014-08-01, 09:45 PM
Jack smiles.
Thank.
She grabs three plates to start with, and looks for an open spot near the fire.

Jack's a she, the name came from her job, as a lumberjack

podig
2014-08-01, 10:39 PM
Quaid smiles knowingly, but can't think of anything else to say, and Haggard didn't give him much to work with. He collects a plate and sits down next to Smith. "At least the weather's been good," he says by way of conversation, to whoever is listening, be it Smith, or someone else sitting by the fire. "Didn't expect to eat this well, either. Y'all got plans for Deadwood?"

esorscher
2014-08-01, 10:45 PM
The slim woman is about to "help" the orc (read: take advantage of), but Wiggums is too quick for her. Instead, she collects her plate of food and sits down next to her. "<I'm Sara. How does an orc like yourself find her way among these humans?>" she asks in Orcish. Dog looks longingly at the meat on her plate. Sara draws her dagger, and cuts off a slice for her slobbering beast. While her attention is on the orc primarily, she listens with half an ear to Quaid's conversation.

Vhaidara
2014-08-01, 10:51 PM
Jack looks over at the woman sitting next to her. Her voice is loud, and each syllable is heavily enunciated.
<Orcish> Jack. Mr. Weatherton said Jack go with strangers.
Then Jack sees Dog, and her eyes light up.
<Common> Puppy!

WindStruck
2014-08-01, 10:51 PM
Smith barely finishes chewing a chunk of potato before responding, "No specific plans, but there is plenty of gold to be made there..."

esorscher
2014-08-01, 10:59 PM
"Go ahead and pet her, she's friendly," Sara says. Looking around, she adds, "Well, to women, anyway." Then, in Orcish, she asks, "<Who is Mr. Weatherson?>"

Vhaidara
2014-08-01, 11:02 PM
Jack squees, a scratches Dog between the ears.
<Orcish> Mr. Weatherton. He own wood.

podig
2014-08-01, 11:02 PM
Quaid smiles widely. "Sure enough, sure enough." Most folks don't seem to be looking for conversation, it seems, so he chews in silence, deciding whether to try and force conversation from the card player or not. Then, an idea strikes him. "Saw you playing solitaire, earlier, you know any two player games?" Maybe a little gaming might loosen his tongue.

esorscher
2014-08-01, 11:06 PM
Sara smiles, seeing that Dog has made a new friend. "If you give her one of your steak bones, she'll be real happy with you." Then, switching to orcish mid-stream, she says, "<So, where are you from, then?>"

Vhaidara
2014-08-01, 11:15 PM
Jack quickly strips a piece of meat in two bites and holds the bone out for dog.
<Orcish> Bulltown.
Then Jack seems to realize something. She straightens up, possibly puling the bone away from Dog if he isn't quick enough as she looks at Sara's eyes.
<Orcish> You know speak wrong?

esorscher
2014-08-01, 11:18 PM
Dog, who has by this time finished the scrap of meat Sara cut, grabs the bone greedily and begins slobbering over it with obvious glee. In orcish, Sara says, "<Bulltown, eh? That explains why I never noticed you before. You sort of... stand out, if you know what I mean. I speak wrong? What do you mean?>"

WindStruck
2014-08-01, 11:24 PM
Smith eyes the dark-haired, bushy man calculatingly for half a moment, chewing another bite of food to stall for time. "Weeell... I do know a game or two. But typically a small, friendly wager is involved." He smiles and speaks amicably, slowly coaxing the stranger to the vice of gambling.

Vhaidara
2014-08-01, 11:27 PM
She looks furtively around, and her voice drops to what, for her, is a whisper. It's about 75% the volume of a normal voice, compared to the 150% of her usual speech.
<Common> Mr. Weatherton taught me to talk not-wrong.

esorscher
2014-08-01, 11:29 PM
"<So, this is talking wrong,>" she says in Orcish, but then switches to Common to say, "But this is talking not-wrong?"

Vhaidara
2014-08-01, 11:31 PM
Jack nods
None talk wrong Bulltown. How you talk wrong?

podig
2014-08-01, 11:32 PM
Smith eyes the dark-haired, bushy man calculatingly for half a moment, chewing another bite of food to stall for time. "Weeell... I do know a game or two. But typically a small, friendly wager is involved." He smiles and speaks amicably, slowly coaxing the stranger to the vice of gambling.

"Friendly, eh? A copper, then?" Quaid is no stranger to gambling--he did, after all, fight in the Civil War. Of course, his previous experience was with men who hadn't much to their name, and he wasn't too fond of high stakes. Out here, in the wild, he was even less partial to the idea. A high stakes game could end badly for either party, or both. But, he didn't know anyone who'd kill over a few coppers. He sizes up the gambler, to see if he'd just met someone who would.

Sense Motive (to see if Smith is the kind of person who would kill someone over a few coppers) [roll0]

esorscher
2014-08-01, 11:36 PM
"<I learned from Orcs, like you did. I don't think it's talking wrong, just different. Orcish, is what most folks call it. Common's what you'd call not-wrong. Then there's Elven, and Halfling, and a whole host of other languages, too.>" Sara smiles. "<I lived with Orcs for a while. I guess it was easier learning the language than getting beat when I didn't understand.>"

Vhaidara
2014-08-01, 11:42 PM
Jack returns to eating her food and her normal voice
Why you talk wrong much?

esorscher
2014-08-01, 11:44 PM
Sara shrugs. "<Just thought it'd be nice. We can talk in Common if you want.>"

WindStruck
2014-08-01, 11:45 PM
Smith chuckles, "Haha, a copper it is then."

Well, it was better than nothing. And a few wins could almost repay for his meal. Who knows, maybe others would join in?

Vhaidara
2014-08-01, 11:48 PM
Jack nods
You should talk right. Wrong-talk make Axe worry.
She pats the large axe strapped to her back, and her voice lowers again.
He not want babies hear wrong-talk.

esorscher
2014-08-01, 11:51 PM
"Haha, alright. That's a nice axe. My dog's name is Dog, by the way." Sara notices the gambling game forming, but doesn't participate right away. She'll watch, though, and maybe join in in a couple of rounds.

podig
2014-08-01, 11:51 PM
Quaid pulls out a copper. "So, what's the game?"

Vhaidara
2014-08-01, 11:54 PM
Jack nods.
Axe, this Sara.
She looks down at her belt, where five throwing axes are fastened.
Little axes, this Sara. Sara, these little axes.
She looks over at the game, and her eyes brighten
Men play?

I need to write a song for Jack to sing. Badly.

esorscher
2014-08-01, 11:56 PM
"Nice to meet you, Axe and little axes." Then she too turns to the game. "What game are y'all playing? How do you play?" She knows a few, but isn't eager to display her knowledge. Part of gambling is knowing your opponent, and that works both ways. Besides that, she doesn't have too much to gamble.

WindStruck
2014-08-02, 12:32 AM
"Hmm... Go Fish? War?"

[roll0]

I guess that'll work.

After a few seconds he laughs again. "Nah, those are only kids' games. I think some good, old-fashioned poker would suit my fancy." When the woman asks what they're playing, he says, "Poker; Izona hold 'em. Ever heard of that, miss?" He smiles warmly at the woman inquiring... though hoping the Orc doesn't get involved. That would just make everything so much more complicated.

It seems we're playing around with familar names here, so Izona is just going to be some random province in Merka. The game is named after Texas Hold 'em, however.

Pelor
2014-08-02, 06:49 AM
Izona Draw Poker goes on for several rounds until everyone anxiously turns in for the night. Everyone more or less breaks even on the night, and no one stabs anyone... which is always a plus. Any watch that is set goes by completely uneventful. Wiggum has breakfast ready for the group and says since it is everyone's last meal together on the road, it is on him.

After everyone has eaten a joyful group sets on on the final leg of their trek. This also passes uneventfully. It is mid-afternoon when the group finally arrives at the bustling camp of Deadwood in all its majesty and glory.

The first thing everyone notices it that... it smells. Quite bad. It is a rather noxious mix of horse crap, mud, rotting garbage, an hot frothy piss of all assortments. Also, aside from one muddy thoroughfare that has some rather new wood buildings, everything else is a tent. There is no lack of bustle though. People are plying their wares, whatever they may be. It seems like almost anything can be found. There also seems to be quite a bit of construction going on.

Most everyone with a horse makes there way straight to the livery. It is manned by an older dwarf. The dwarf is tall, nearly as tall as a short human. And barrel chested. He is certainly not someone you would want to mess with now, but you can imagine what an imposing figure he would have been in his prime.

Those without animals make a B-line for the Gem Saloon. By most standards, it would seem exceptionally seedy. Here, it seems to fit right in. There are several ladies of the night, make themselves available to the new arrivals. There are also three bartenders bustling around. One is certainly in charge. He has medium length curly black hair and a big mustache. He seems average in build, but his brown eyes are piercing. Every other word out of his mouth seems to be an expletive, but astonishingly everyone seems to love him.

Surprisingly there is a hotel of what appears to be decent quality. You are fairly certain their prices are outrageous if they even have a room that is empty.

----------------------

OOC Ok, things are going to be very sandboxy from here on in. Go anywhere, do anything. I can throw plot hooks at you, but this is your adventure... let's see what ya'll come up with.

WindStruck
2014-08-02, 07:51 AM
Smith smelled something in the air: money. It was cold, hard cash. Fist fulls of gold nuggets, heaps, mountains of lumber, throngs of unaware suckers... but mostly, what he also smelled was dung, and lots of it. Well this was refreshing. Seeing as he didn't own any of the animals in the caravan himself, he saunters along toward The Gem along with the others and trails behind.

He momentarily takes in the surroundings before going in.

Are there any posters on the walls or any other signs?

Vhaidara
2014-08-02, 08:55 AM
Jack looks around for a local. Assuming she finds one, she asks him a question.
Who man own wood?

podig
2014-08-02, 09:22 AM
Quaid heads for the Gem with the others, moving quickly to the head of the group. He heads to the foul-mouthed man in charge, sets his stakes down on the counter in front of him, and says, "I'm looking to prospect. Who do I have to talk to?"

esorscher
2014-08-02, 09:27 AM
(I'm assuming most of the setting details from the recruitment thread still stand. My plan is to find some people looking for alchemist work.)

After stabling her horse at the Livery, Sara leashes Dog and walks down the thoroughfare, taking in the sights. The Gem looks like an obvious place to head for a drink, but she has nothing to celebrate, yet. Then she sees the hardware tent, and makes a snap decision. She walks in, looking for someone who looks smart enough to be in charge.

Pelor
2014-08-02, 08:04 PM
Most of the group makes their way into the Gem. There a few posters and signs hanging up, but they only deal with pricing for drinks and woman. The only others signs are the ones with the names of the various establishments. Most every tent has a business name on it unless it is a sleeping tent.

Inside the Gem, when asked about prospecting, the man who seems to be in charges answers back, "Talk to your vulking self for all I care. Now if you are looking to drink or... find some relief, I would be the person to talk to... Of course, if you were to come back and spend some of your hard earned gold hear, I might would tell you to go buy some prospecting tools at the the new hardware tent that goatlover Bullock and his goat looking friend Starr set up. As for finding a place, I would suggest finding plot that ain't been claimed, otherwise you might get cut from ear to ear. Now you gonna drink or sit their looking like a lop-earred inbred?"

For those who went to the hardware tent they find, two men standing inside plying their wares. One is a rather imposing figure with an air of confidence about him. The other seems to be more of a number crunching type guy. "May we help you?" asks the pleasant sounding number cruncher.

Vhaidara
2014-08-02, 08:06 PM
Jack looks at the man for a moment before repeating her question.
Who man own wood?

WindStruck
2014-08-02, 08:33 PM
Smith nonchalantly orders a mug of ale, then he wanders over to the gambling tables to view the games and observe the players, taking large sips of the drink all the while.

Pelor
2014-08-02, 08:34 PM
Most the the individuals that Jack looks at seem to ignore her, or mutter something about savages being allowed in camp before continuing on their way. The Dwarf from the group, Haggard, you think his name was, comes up to you and in Orc asks, <What are you trying to figure out friend? Where to find or cut some lumber?>

Vhaidara
2014-08-02, 08:36 PM
Jack nods, smiling.
Jack cut wood.
She pats Axe.
Axe bored.

Pelor
2014-08-02, 09:41 PM
Haggard smiles to Jack. "I'll ask around and find you someone to work for it that is what you want. Find me tomorrow and I should have some news for you then."

Vhaidara
2014-08-02, 09:50 PM
Jack gives the dwarf a hug. Maybe squeezes a little tight.
Thank small man.

esorscher
2014-08-03, 12:27 AM
Sara smiles at both gentlemen, a bright smile that she uses whenever she wants something from a man. Her focus is on the number-cruncher, rather than his less friendly seeming counterpart. "Maybe. Maybe I can help you. Name's Sara, Sara Stone." She looks at the wares they have for sale, noticing either an absence of acid, or its presence. If it's the former, she starts with a comment about how useful acid is in the mining process. "Nothing like a vial to get at that valuable gold--for the miners, and for you. You could easily sell it at quite a profit to your customers, especially if you had someone in house making it for you." If it's the latter, she offers to make it more cheaply than what they are paying for it now, pointing out that an in-house alchemist could produce it without incurring transportation costs. "I know a bit about alchemy. If you can get me the supplies, I can use my skills to turn them into acid, and other stuff, too. Tindertwigs--every smoker's best friend--and antitoxins, things like that. You sell what I make, and split the profits even with me. That sound good to you?"

podig
2014-08-03, 12:35 AM
"I'll choose C. Thanks, though. If I were a gambling man, I'd wager you'll see me again." Quaid smiles. He's not offended by the coarseness of the man's speech. He's an obviously powerful figure, with a permanent building that provides high-in-demand services. In Quaid's experience, men with power tend to have egos to accompany them, and he'd given Quaid all he needed to know. There were no regulations on prospecting. He could stake a claim now, or try and buy one off someone else, or kill someone for theirs--though he didn't really want to do that last one, and didn't expect others would take kindly to it. Perhaps there was someone looking to sell a claim, but anyone who'd do so didn't have much of a worthwhile claim, or they'd keep it themselves. His best bet was to stake one out.

He heads down to the river, and takes a look around. He'll spend some time walking up and down, looking at the prospectors, and what they are pulling out of the river. The ones with better dress and equipment he'll take especial note of, and also look to see if they've got space around them worth claiming. On the way, he'll stop by the livery and stable his mule.

Pelor
2014-08-03, 06:35 AM
The two men at the Hardware Store look at each other. The number cruncher purses his lips and nods his head to his partner. His partner looks back to him and nods once. The number cruncher stands up and walks over, hand extended to shake Sara's. "I'm Saul Starr and this is my partner, Seth Bullock. Pleasure to meet you. We will agree to your term on the condition that we try it for one week. It this agreement is beneficial to both parties, we will continue, if not, we either renegotiate after the week, or cut ties and move on amicably. Sound fair?"

At the Gem, there are surprisingly few games of chance going on. One corner table has a very seedy game of what appears to be dice going on. A table out in the middle has what appears to be a very low stakes game of poker going on. All other tables have a bunch of drinking going on with a bunch of ladies of the night continually taking potential customers upstairs. There are a few drinking games going on near the auxiliary bar. There are no exceptionally important or influential people that appear to be in the Gem at the moment. Most look like laborers and miners who have come in to spend some hard earned gold.

Quaid finds that there is about an hour, maybe two left of quality daylight. He knows he could do some scouting, but he is not certain how certain prospectors might receive him accidentally walking up on them in the night... especially if they are the paranoid type. Nonetheless, it is his decision.

podig
2014-08-03, 08:38 AM
Quaid scouts for as long as the light will allow, but when night falls, he returns to the Gem. He takes in the crowd, orders the cheapest drink, and sits down next to the best dressed prospector. "You a prospector?" he asks, smiling.

esorscher
2014-08-03, 08:41 AM
"That sounds fair," Sara says. "I've got some other business to attend to as well, today, but I'll return tomorrow to get started. I've got my own tools, but if you could have the materials I'd need to make acid ready for me tomorrow morning, that'd be much appreciated. Pleasure to meet you both." With that, she departs, heading for the tell-tale signs of the halfling community. Once she gets there, she asks a passing halfling, in halfling, "<Drugs?>"

WindStruck
2014-08-03, 08:07 PM
Not being particularly impressed by the scene at The Gem, Smith returns his mug and exits, looking for the next opportunity. Ah, the hardware tent. That might be a nice place to start. He carefully picks his way across the filth and steps inside, looking to browse their wares and maybe get a scoop on the local gold rush.

Pelor
2014-08-04, 09:11 PM
Quaid finds little in the way of prospective prospecting areas, though he did see some beautiful country. Returning to the Gem he begins to speak to a well dressed prospector. As far as prospectors go. He has a large but well kept beard and rather long hair that is somewhat well kept. He is a tall man of average build. Certainly has the look of a hard worker. "That would be true, Ellsworth's the name, Whitney Ellsworth. You come in on that latest caravan." The last bit is more statement than question. "Let me buy you a drink. My claim paid up a bit today and seems I have more credits than I know what to do with."

At Sara's question the halfling never stops slows down, but only points towards a halfling tending a pig sty and says, <Mr. Wu> as he continues on his way. The halfling a the pig sty notices this and ***** Edit: tilts (guess I can't say the word that looks like cooks but with a c replacing an o) his head towards you in intrigue. It seems not many people in the camp speak halfling aside form the halflings.

Smith exits the Gem, just in time to see Sara leaving the hardware tent. It will be rather easy to locate. Inside he sees the same two people that Sara did... one man who looks handy in a fight, and one who looks more like a number cruncher.

Vhaidara
2014-08-04, 09:12 PM
Jack looks around. She wasn't really sure what to do with herself while she waited for work.

podig
2014-08-04, 09:34 PM
"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Ellsworth. My name's Quaid Tanner, and I'm looking to join that trade myself." Quaid gladly accepts the drink, and toasts Ellsworth. "To your good fortune," he says, taking a large swallow. "Now, would that be the kind of good fortune that leaves you looking for assistance, or willing to lend a helping hand to a similarly inclined individual, such as myself? Any advice you'd have to give, I'd much appreciate."

esorscher
2014-08-04, 09:38 PM
Sara follows the finger and heads in that direction. "<Mr. Wu?>" she asks, in halfling. Assuming he answers affirmatively, she continues, "<I'm Sara Stone. I've known several halflings in my time, and I know where to go when I'm looking for that which I seek. Not to put too fine a point on it, I'm looking for devilweed. You know where I can find some?>" Dog looks at the pigs, and sniffs them, but doesn't growl.

WindStruck
2014-08-04, 10:14 PM
Smith extends a warm smile to the two men in the tent. "Howdy, gentlemen. I've just arrived in town a short while ago... I imagine your business is booming, what, with all the prospecting going on."

He takes a moment to take a careful inventory of everything the men have in stock, checking various tools for their quality, and so on.

Smith then asks, "I am interested in finding a nice claim, myself. Might any of you know the procedure for making one near this town?"

Pelor
2014-08-04, 11:19 PM
There is plenty of bustle around the town. Seeing Jack standing idly by, the dwarf she met before, Haggard, comes by and says, "I got a bottle of whiskey... care to drink with me?"

Mr. Ellsworth smiles back to Quad. "Mr. Tanner, I appreciate the offer for work, but my claim don't pay enough to justify bringing anyone else on just yet. My suggestion would be, if you are interested in prospecting, either by a claim from someone keen on heading back East for real cheap and hope it pans out, or find a swath of unclaimed land and hope it pans out. Course at this junction, all the good claims are taken... though you might get lucky."

Mr. Wu smiles from ear to ear upon hearing what Sara asks for. <You speak Halfling and Human. You could be of great use to Wu. If you are willing to translate for me on occasion, I can keep you in supply of devilweed. Her, take this, this should get you through the next few days... no charge. Can you meet me here tomorrow morning at dawn. I will have need of your services for a short while?"

The two proprietors of the Hardware tent introduce themselves as Seth Bullock and Saul Starr. They show their merchandise and when asked about prospecting, they mention it is a matter of finding an unclaimed piece of land, and working it. If land has no markers and is not worked, it is considered unclaimed. They do mention that most of the nearby area is claimed. They also mention it is possible to buy claims from people who have had enough of the frontier life and are planning on heading back East.

Vhaidara
2014-08-04, 11:22 PM
Jack shakes her head.
No drink. Drink bad.

Explanation: Drink bad for Jack. No one wanted to see what would happen if she got drunk. Too much potential for property damage

Pelor
2014-08-04, 11:48 PM
Haggard looks at Jack and smiles. "Well want to keep me company while I drink?"

Vhaidara
2014-08-04, 11:50 PM
Jack smiles and nods.
You nice.

WindStruck
2014-08-05, 02:11 AM
Smith rubs his stubbled chin thoughtfully. "Hm. So what you're saying is all anyone has to do is go out and put a marker down? I take it there have been quite a few disputes."

Other than this gossip, Smith wasn't sure if he had any other business with these men. At least, not yet. His funds were quite low as it was, considering the cost of coming here and a streak of bad luck, and as the saying goes, it takes money to make money. And things were crazy-expensive out here.

Afterwards, Smith wishes the two men luck. Not sure what else he could do right at that moment, he decides to go out on a walk, just for the hell of it. Looking around the landscape, he tries thinking of what the worst place to find gold in would be and heads that direction. He doesn't stray terribly far, and winds up at The Gem again just after sundown.

(unless something stops him)

podig
2014-08-05, 08:22 AM
Mr. Ellsworth smiles back to Quad. "Mr. Tanner, I appreciate the offer for work, but my claim don't pay enough to justify bringing anyone else on just yet. My suggestion would be, if you are interested in prospecting, either by a claim from someone keen on heading back East for real cheap and hope it pans out, or find a swath of unclaimed land and hope it pans out. Course at this junction, all the good claims are taken... though you might get lucky."

"Fair enough, Mr. Ellsworth. You seem like someone who knows a lot about the industry--someone I'd like to be on good terms with. Do you mind if I ask for a bit more help? Which are the good claims, and where are they located in relation to the river? Know of anyone with a good enough claim that they'd be looking for hands to work it? Also, anyone who's got a claim they're looking to sell?" Quaid smiles, hoping he isn't to annoying with his questioning.

esorscher
2014-08-05, 08:25 AM
"<That sounds good to me, Mr. Wu,>" Sara says in halfling, accepting the small pouch of devilweed and slipping it into her belt pouch with her pipe and hand mill. She's surprised at how easy it was, having never considered how useful she'd be as a translator. She'd expected to have to pay, or offer her alchemical services, but Wu's offer was considerably better. "<I can be here tomorrow at dawn. Of course, it'd be easier if you had a place I could spend the night. A spare room, or even a clear bit of floor, is all I'd need.>"

Pelor
2014-08-06, 11:08 AM
Seth Bullock responds to Smith, "Yes, that is pretty much the jest of it. However, finding a good claim that is not already being worked is going to be extremely difficult. No on is going to sell a working claim for anything less than a small fortune. Can you blame them?"

Mr. Ellsworth says almost the same thing to Tanner. "I pretty much work my claim and don't interfere with any others. Anyone claiming to have a rich claim and trying to sell is a liar, anyone claiming they have a poor claim, is probably getting some value out of it."

Mr. Wu smiles to Sara. <"You can stay one night on my floor, but I do not want people talking. You will have to find a different place after that.">

Haggard begins drinking, quite heavily. "You sure you don't want any?" Then in Orc <"It's just us here... what is your story?>

Vhaidara
2014-08-06, 11:44 AM
Jack looks at Haggard, her eyes narrowing
You talk bad. People like talk bad here?

esorscher
2014-08-06, 01:58 PM
"<That's fair. It's a bit early for me to turn in, but I'll be back before midnight. I'm much obliged by your kindness.>" Sara says, in halfling. So far, her first impressions of Deadwood were favorable. She'd set herself up in a valuable position, and the devilweed was burning a hole in her pocket. Soon it would be burning in her pipe.

She walks toward the Gem, and upon seeing Haggard and Jack, waves and heads over to them. Dog breaks free and bounds toward Jack eagerly. "Howdy," she says with a smile. "Mind if I join you?"

podig
2014-08-06, 02:01 PM
"Well, thanks very much for that information, Mr. Ellsworth. Might be I arrived too late to participate in this gold rush." Quaid sighs. It wouldn't be the first time he'd shown up after the party had already started. "Any other way to find work in this camp?"

Pelor
2014-08-07, 03:32 AM
Haggard shakes his head at Jack. "Speaking different languages is not speaking bad. Only speaking different." Haggard then smiles and begins speaking in Dwarven, <<"Not that you understand, but this is my native tongue... it is not bad either.">> Haggard then refers back to Orc. <"And just like my native language is not bad, neither is yours. Only narrow minded people think other peoples languages are bad. But there are a lot of narrowminded people so...">

When Sara approaches, Haggard smiles, "Would you like a drink?" offering his bottle of liquor.

Mr. Ellsworth's demeanor goes very serious for a moment. "That, Mr. Tanner, would depend on how dirty you are willing to get your hands, and how honest of work you are intending to do. There are many jobs to be done, for crap pay. There are some better paying jobs that... well, if you are interested in that sort of thing, I would have to recommend you see Mr. Swearegen who owns this place. I would wait until it is not so busy though."

Pelor
2014-08-07, 03:34 AM
Smith saw a number of prospectors working their claims. Some were friendly, others tried to chase him off immediately. Truly, nothing of note though. Perhaps when he has more time, he will find something of interest. He returns to the Gem and sees Quaid speaking to a prospector as well as Sara and Jack speaking to Haggard.

WindStruck
2014-08-07, 06:01 AM
Smith spots the familiar faces from the caravan he rode with, though he does not interrupt their conversations. The conversation with the prospector does seem interesting however, so he strolls on up pretending to be looking at something else while listening in. He catches most of the last half of what the prospector says, though...

But Smith didn't want to linger to long to draw any attention, so he immediately heads over to the poker table.

Let's see how these rubes fare against my skills.

esorscher
2014-08-07, 03:46 PM
"Sure," Sara says, taking a quaff from the bottle. She sits down with them, and pulls out her pipe, handmill, and fresh pouch of devilweed. "Care for a smoke?" she asks, as she pulls out a large, leafy bud. Then she pinches off a piece of the dried herb, places it in her handmill, and grinds it. Every motion is practiced and routine, as if a ritual. Once its ground, she scoops it gently into her pipe. Then she pulls out her slightly used candle, and lights it, either off a nearby open flame, or using her flint and steel. She lights and inhales deeply from the pipe, holding the smoke in her lungs for several long moments with her eyes closed. Then she exhales, taking care to blow the smoke upward rather than into someone's face. She holds the pipe out to Haggard and Jack, if they express interest, the glowing ember of ground up devilweed inviting and enticing for those so inclined. "Anything exciting happening, yet?"

Fortitude DC 6
Initial Effect: 1 point of Wisdom damage.
Secondary Effect: The smoker gains a +2 alchemical bonus to Strength for 1d3 hours.
Side Effects: A creature under the effect of devilweed is easily confused and acts skittish (treat as shaken).
Satiation lasts 10 days.

Initial Fort: [roll0]
Secondary Fort: Intentional failure, strength bonus for [roll1] hours
Addiction Fort: [roll2]

podig
2014-08-07, 03:56 PM
"I appreciate your advice, Mr. Ellsworth. I tend to prefer honest work, but I've had to do things of dubious morality in the past," Quaid says, recalling his time in the Army. Then, he was only following orders. Now, he didn't know how he would respond if pressed to bend his principles.

He recognizes Smith, and is about to invite the gambler to join them when Smith walks away. As he drinks from his mug, he thinks about what he'll do the following morning. Even if there's a lot of prospectors here already, he's come this far, and he's got to take a chance and stake a claim. He turns to Ellsworth again, and asks, "Any advice on how to recognize a good claim?"

Pelor
2014-08-08, 02:09 AM
Smith makes his way over to the poke table and sits in on a little game of poker. (Roll any applicable skill checks and I'll describe how well you did. Profession Gambler, Bluff, Sense Motive, and/or a straight Charisma check can each or all be used. Also list how much you are willing to bet each hand, and how much you are willing to lose, should it come to that)

Haggard shakes his head at Sara, but not to say know. He mutters a few curse words under his breath in Dwarven and takes a long swig of whiskey before responding in Common. "It has been years since I've had a hit of devilweed. Screw it... pass that over here."

Ellsworth laughs at Quaid's question. "One that you find gold in my friend." After laughing for a moment Ellsworth continues. "If you will excuse me Mr. Tanner, I am going to go have a little tumble with a woman half my age then call it a night." Ellsworth hands some gold to the head bartender and make his way over to a girl, takes her by the hand and lets her lead him upstairs to a room. He gives a big wink down to Quaid before disappearing into a room.

WindStruck
2014-08-08, 02:49 AM
Smith starts his bets off small (the minimum bets allowed), and he observes the other players, occasionally participating in small talk if there is any. If he'll be staying in this town a while, his goal is to get to know each and every one of the players, learn their habits, their tells, and just how far they are willing to go.

bluff, for bluffing obviously
[roll0]

sense motive, to detect players' bluffs and get inside their heads
[roll1]

spot, for minute details and maybe to detect cheaters.
[roll2]

int check, for counting cards
[roll3]

Oh yeah. And he's also willing to lose as much as... 30 copper.

Pelor
2014-08-09, 08:03 AM
Smith makes a total of 17 silver after a few good hands. Two of the players are terrible and their hands show. One, by the name of Bill, is quite good. Very good in fact. He face remains the same, regardless of his hand. His voice is always calm and he does nothing to give away his hand. The two of you are certain to meet again, assuming of course you play poker again. When you start counting cards Bill shakes his head at you and smirks, as if to say he knows what you are doing.

Night time is fast approaching and before long it is getting quite late.

esorscher
2014-08-09, 08:14 AM
Sara continues to spend the evening drinking and smoking with Haggard and Jack, but after an hour or so excuses herself. "It was fun hanging with you two," she says, smiling at the orc and the dwarf. "Moreso than I expected." She heads back to Wu's and makes herself comfortable on his floor.

podig
2014-08-09, 12:28 PM
"Good evening, Mr. Ellsworth." After Ellsworth leaves, Quaid decides to head over to the hotel to see if he can find a cheap room. Otherwise, he'll make camp under the stars, on the outskirts of town, near the river.

WindStruck
2014-08-09, 08:47 PM
After The Gem seems to clear out a lot due to the time, Smith excuses himself from the tables and walks over to the man who seemed to be running the place. "Mr. Swearegen? I heard a rumor that you may be looking to hire someone for a special job...?"

Pelor
2014-08-09, 09:18 PM
Before anyone has a chance to do anything further, a commotion can be heard outside. Swearegen, and quite honestly, almost everyone makes their way outside to see what is going on. A man rides up on horseback. He is dirty, and seems to be quite road weary. "Orcs got'em. They killed that family, pillaged their wagon. They's dead."

Seth Bullock approaches and asks, "Where, where did this occur?" The man responds, "About three miles outside of town. Butchered'em all, the whole family."

Someone else asks, "How many was it? Was it the Walton's? They just left headed back for Cheyenne. How many was it?"

The man responds, "There was four, they killed them all, the dad, the mom, the two boys, they killed'em all, tha savages!"

The man thinks, "But the Walton's had five! The parents, the two boys, and a little girl. Maybe the girl is still alive?!?!"

The man looks confused, of course it could be because he is drunk. "No, couldn't have been them, was only four, I saw them, they were all dead!"

Bullock speaks up, "If there were five, and you only saw four, then that little girl may still be alive. We have to go find her. Who will go with me?"

The man from the poker table, Bill speaks up, "I will", followed by Haggard, "Me too!"

Bullock looks around for more people.

Vhaidara
2014-08-09, 09:23 PM
Jack, seeing Hagard volunteer, decides that she should go too. She only understood most of it, but a lost girl with dead parents? She might be Jack's little sister! She stands
Jack help!

esorscher
2014-08-09, 09:45 PM
"I'll go," Sara says. The effects of the devilweed have worn off by now. "How do you know it was orcs?" she asks the dirty man on horseback. She whistles, and Dog bounds up to her. Within a few moments, her horse is at her side as well. She mounts the trusty steed with ease.

podig
2014-08-09, 09:46 PM
"Count me in," Quaid says, moving up next to Sara.

WindStruck
2014-08-10, 12:42 AM
Crap. Smith wasn't really a fighter. He lacked the strength, the hardiness, the training, and even the proper gear. When Bill volunteered, he had the tugging inkling that he should come along too, but he was still paralyzed with indecision. Then he thought maybe it might impress Mr. Swearegen if he went along just before asking for a job... And besides, there might be a little girl out there. Aw hell...

"I'll help," he finally says. At the very least, an extra pair of eyes to spot a girl or a savage would be something.

Pelor
2014-08-10, 04:34 AM
Mr. Bullock nods to Jack at her response. "Ok, Jack, glad to have you." When Sara volunteers, Bill speaks up..."What, only the women around her have the kahona's to ride along?"

Quaid and Smith both volunteer as well.

Mr. Ellsworth runs out, pulling boots back on as he does. "I'll be a squirrell's uncle if I let you go after that girl without me!"

When Sara asks how they know it was Orc's, the man blusters. "Because it was orcs, stupid women think they have the same thinkin' capaci... kapaci... capesi... ability as men."

Bullock then questions him. "Answer the woman, she makes a good point. How do you know it was orc's?"

The man seems even more flustered now. "Because it just was, the wagon was ransacked, the goods were taken and the people were hacked apart. What else would do that but savages?"

The man turns to leave, but Bullock grabs the reins to his horse. "And just where do you think you're going".

"I ain't going back out there." "Yes, you are." "No, I am not, you can't make... OUCH!!! What was that for?" "You are going or I am gonna rip you off of that horse and beat you within an inch of your life." "Ok, ok, sheesh, I'll show you where it happened."

With that everyone grabs a horse. Seeing that some of the volunteers don't have horses, the Dwarf from the Livery speaks up, "I'm about to old to go, but no one is gonna say that Hostetler didn't help no little girl. Ya'll that are going can take a horse and tack so long as you bring it back. Hurry up now."

The posse is formed and ready to go in a matter of minutes. The drunk man leads the way, followd by Bullock and Bill. Haggard brings up the rear. Mr. Ellsworth is somewhere in the middle. Everyone else can ride where they want.

podig
2014-08-10, 08:57 AM
Quaid mounts a horse from Hostetler, and rides along side Ellsworth, his shield arm facing the outside of their little posse. His other hand holds the reins to his horse. "This sort of thing happen often?" he asks Ellsworth quietly.

Pelor
2014-08-10, 09:37 AM
Mr. Ellsworth responds to Quaid's inquiry. "Now and then, but not too often. Couple times a month maybe."

esorscher
2014-08-10, 09:43 AM
Sara rides her horse behind Quaid, with Dog padding alongside her. She guides her horse with her knees, holding her crossbow in her hands. She is silent, saying nothing, but listening to the conversation others provide. Her mind is on what lies ahead. In her experience living with the native tribes, Orcs and Elves were both more likely to attack each other, rather than the humans--unless the humans provoked them, which happened plenty often. A family heading east wasn't likely to do that, though. Maybe there was more to this than met the eye.

Vhaidara
2014-08-10, 10:44 AM
Jack is delighted to be getting a horsey!
Thank!
She says to Hosteler. She rides along contentedly somewhere towards the middle of the group.

WindStruck
2014-08-10, 03:42 PM
Smith stays kind of in the middle, but closer to one of the flanks. He keeps his eyes and ears open for signs of trouble.

We're using torches and lanterns, right?

Pelor
2014-08-10, 06:31 PM
The group rides hard for less than an hour. It seems the mans sense of distance was off by quite a bit. Bullock remains up from with a torch in one hand. Ellsworth has a lantern. Neither Haggard, Bill or the other man brought a source of light. (If you have a lantern or torch on your inventory then you have one... if not...)

Haggard calls out first that he sees the wagon. It is about what would be expected, the wagon is overturned, their are arrows protruding from it and there are goods strewn every where. Then you see the bodies, viciously hacked apart. It does appear to be four bodies.

Listen Check DC 10 reveals: There is a growling sound coming from somewhere.
Listen Check DC 15 reveals: There is a wolf growling to the south of the wreckage.
Listen Check DC 20 reveals: There is a pack of wolves trying to get to something to the south of the wreckage.
Spot Check DC 15 reveals: There is movement to the South.
Spot Check DC 20 reveals: You see what looks like a wolf or two to the south.
Spot Check DC 25 reveals: There is a pack of wolves trying to get to something to the South of the wreckage.

podig
2014-08-10, 06:45 PM
Quaid has one of his torches lit when they arrive. He holds it in his free hand as he investigates the scene, taking care to note the arrows used and the wounds on the bodies. He also checks to see if anyone is still alive. Then, he hears the growling. "Does anyone else hear a growling sound?" he asks, looking around, trying to get a better sense of where it is coming from.

Search check to examine the wounds and try to identify the weapons used: [roll0]
Heal check to see if anyone is alive, and heal them if they are: [roll1]

esorscher
2014-08-10, 07:02 PM
Sara dismounts, and walks around the scene. She doesn't notice anything strange about it off the bat, but Dog hears the growling right away. His ears pull back, and he snarls. "What is it, Dog?" she asks, looking around. Dog too, looks around until he spots the movement to the south. He bounds off in that direction. "Wait," Sara calls after him, but it is no use. He has smelled predators, and he is trained to protect. Sara takes off after him. Horse can make out that there are wolves in the direction, and whinnies. Her beasts have saved her more than a few times before, and Sara knows how to listen to their subtle cues. She pulls up, rather than charging recklessly after Dog, and raises her crossbow, ready to provide ranged support for her attacking guard dog. Horse follows after her master, and then rushes past, joining the dog in its attack. With the help of her animals, Sara recognizes the threat. "Wolves!" she calls out to the rest of the party.

Dog and Horse charge the same wolf. Sara, if possible, gets within 25' of and attacks a different wolf with her crossbow. Dog's AC for this round is 13, Horse's is 11.

Dog: [roll0], [roll1]
Horse: [roll2], [roll3]
Sara: [roll4], [roll5]

WindStruck
2014-08-10, 09:47 PM
Smith rides along with his lantern lit. The scene at the camp appears grisly, but no evidence of the perpatrators is visible, save for maybe the arrows.

Quaid asks if anyone hears growling. "No. Where's it coming from?"

When the woman shouts about wolves, he moves the lantern into the hand with the reigns, and pulls a dagger out of its sheath. He looks about nervously for the wild animals.

Pelor
2014-08-11, 09:01 AM
Aside from Sara and her animals, the only person who seems to see the threat is Haggard. The Dwarf rides towards the wolves and quickly throws a javelin at the largest of the wolves, the one who looks like the Alpha Male. Attack:[roll0] Damage: [roll1]

Horse and Sara are successful in attacking their intended targets.

The wolves all turn to the new threats, half going after horse and half after dog.

The first wolf misses dog completely, but second does not, grabbing the much smaller canine behind the head and using all of its force to bear him into the ground. A third bites Dog as he is down but doesn't get a good bite in. Dog is unconscious and at -3hp.

The two other wolves and the Alpha Male come after Sara's horse. The first two do minimal damage the creatures legs, but the powerful Alpha Males goes straight for the kill by latching on the the horses neck. The beast takes a whopping 15 points of damage.

Alpha Male: healthy
Wolf1: -3
Wofl2: -3
Wolf3: healthy
Wolf4: healthy
Wolf5: healthy

Everyone else now knows there is a threat to the south and it is mostly likely wolves. You may act now.

esorscher
2014-08-11, 09:13 AM
Sara whistles for Horse to retreat, and he does so, withdrawing from the surrounding wolves as quickly as it can. But seeing Dog go down is too much for Sara to bear. She drops her crossbow and charges into the fray, drawing her dagger as she moves. "DOG!" she cries out, tears in her eyes. "DOOOOOOG!" Her cries come deep from her core, and her voice is harsh and raspy. Her trusty and loyal companion for all this time, now bleeding out on the ground, threatening to be torn to bits by a pack of ravenous wolves. Rage builds in her as she charges the wolf responsible for bringing him down (Wolf 2), slicing with her dagger. Hopefully, she is not alone.

Horse withdraws (2x movement, no AoOs), at 4 hp.
Dog stablizes on 1: [roll0] Dog at -4 and falling

Sara charges Wolf 2: [roll1], [roll2]

Sara's AC is 13 for the next round.

podig
2014-08-11, 09:19 AM
Quaid, who had dismounted to investigate the scene, sees the trouble unfolding. He holds his torch aloft, waving it and shouting as he runs, hoping to scare the wolves into fleeing with his loud noises, size, and bright light, or at least draw their attention away from Sara and her dog. When he reaches the group, he lowers his shoulder behind his shield and barrels into Wolf 2 next to Sara. "Don't worry, little lady. We'll get your dog out of this alive," he says, though he himself is unconvinced. Wolves were scary stuff, and six of them could tear through this group easily.

Intimidate: 16 (rolled OOC)

Charge wolf 2: [roll0], [roll1]

Designating Sara as Quaid's "Ward," giving her +1 AC and DR 1/- as long as she remains within 5'

Vhaidara
2014-08-11, 11:14 AM
Jack sees Dog fall and lets out a bellow of rage she rushes towards the wolves surrounding Dog, frothing at the mouth as she brings Axe to bear.

Charging Wolf 3. Rage. Power Attack for 1
Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]
AC is 11, HP is 14, Rage lasts 7 rounds

WindStruck
2014-08-11, 11:20 AM
Smith rides towards the south a bit where all the commotion is coming from, and it all seems clear now. He wasn't sure if there was anything he could do to help save the lady's dog (or the lady too, if it came down to it now) but he took the dwarf's lead, riding up next to him, and threw his dagger toward the alpha wolf.

attack:[roll0]
damage: [roll1]
crit confirm: [roll2]
crit damage: [roll3]

Pelor
2014-08-12, 04:36 AM
Sara does her dangedest to save dog, but things look bad, really bad. But then, her traveling partners all come to her aid. Quaid lowers his shield and barrels into the nearest wolf. It moves to pick itself up off the ground but is unsuccessful and lays there as it quits drawing breath.

Then the combined forces of Smith's dagger, Bullock's arrow, and Bill's bolt kill the Alpha Male.

Haggard fires another javelin and kills another wolf.

The rest turn to flee.

Haggard and his uncanny sight yell, "There is something over there, inside that hollowed out tree!"

Alpha Male: Dead
Wolf1: Dead
Wofl2: Dead
Wolf3: Fleeing
Wolf4: Fleeing
Wolf5: Fleeing

WindStruck
2014-08-12, 05:07 AM
"The girl! Is it the girl?"

Smith draws his other dagger and rides towards the tree, both to get a closer look at what's there, and to keep the pressure on the wolves to make sure they don't have any second thoughts about coming back.

spot: [roll0]

Pelor
2014-08-12, 06:19 AM
Smith finds that it is the girl, but she is in a bad way. The wolves had got to her moments before the posse got to the wolves. She is alive, though in a very bad way.

Dog is alive, though is breathing is ragged. He is about as bad off as the little girl.

Horse is roughed up. He can make it back to camp under his own power, but it would be cruel to try and ride him back without at least cleaning up and bandaging his wounds first.

Vhaidara
2014-08-12, 11:46 AM
Jack, still frothing at the mouth, keeps chasing the wolves.

Since wolves move 50 (I'm playing a druid in another campaign) and I only move 40, I've guessing they're out of range, but Jack's crazy right now.

Pelor
2014-08-12, 02:48 PM
Jack is able to corner one of the wolves, which turns to bite at her. [roll0] for [roll1]

Vhaidara
2014-08-12, 02:51 PM
Jack is bit, but she doesn't even notice it, lashing out with Axe.

Power Attack for 1
Crit Confirmation: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

Pelor
2014-08-12, 02:58 PM
The head of the wolf explodes in a visceral mess as the majority of the body of the animal is cleaved in twain. The other wolves are long gone.

Vhaidara
2014-08-12, 03:01 PM
Jack keeps hacking wildly at the corpse for about half a minute, then stands, breathing heavily before running back to the others.
Dog?

podig
2014-08-12, 04:17 PM
"Let me help you," Quaid says to Sara, comforting and assisting her as she attempts to stabilize her dying dog. Successful, he pats her on the back and then goes to join Smith. "Is she alive?" he asks, then does his best to stabilize the injured girl as well.

I am assuming if Dog is almost as bad off as the girl, the Girl is bleeding out as well. Not sure how many hit points she has, but assuming worse than -4, so I'll roll 6 checks. Anyone who wants to Aid Another can feel encouraged to do so.

Heal: [roll0]
Heal: [roll1]
Heal: [roll2]
Heal: [roll3]
Heal: [roll4]
Heal: [roll5]

esorscher
2014-08-12, 04:17 PM
As the wolves flee, Sara drops to her knees at Dog's side, struggling to staunch the flow of blood from Dog's wolf-bites. "Gods, please, spare this faithful creature. Please, gods, please." Tears are flowing as she tries, but together with Quaid, they manage to stabilize Dog. Dog is still unconscious, but will live. Sara picks Dog up in her arms and carries her over to Horse. "Does anyone have any bandages, or anything?" she asks, looking around in the wreckage for any sort of suitable material--even the canvas covering of the wagon, cut by her dagger, would suffice as bandages for both Dog and Horse. If she can find something, she will take as much time as necessary to bandage her hurt creatures. Her face is streaked with tears. When Jack returns, she informs him that Dog is alive, but hurt badly.

Vhaidara
2014-08-12, 04:22 PM
Jack looks relieved, though she is breathing heavily.
Good. Wolf dead. Girl safe?

podig
2014-08-12, 04:25 PM
"Girl safe," Quaid calls out. "Hurt, but safe." If he can, he'll lift her out of her hiding place, and carry over to Haggard, Bullock and Bill. "One of us ought to carry her on our horse back to town."

Vhaidara
2014-08-12, 04:27 PM
Girl ride Jack's horse. Jack walk. Keep girl on.
Jack pulls her horse over towards where Quaid and the girl are.

podig
2014-08-12, 04:29 PM
"Very kind of you, Jack." Quaid says, helping the girl onto Jack's horse.

WindStruck
2014-08-12, 04:34 PM
Smith dismounts his horse to help pull the girl out safely.

Before everyone gets it in their mind to leave immediately, Smith decides to check the area around the four bodies for anything suspicious.

search:[roll0]

esorscher
2014-08-12, 04:36 PM
Seeing others are attending to the girl, Sara joins Smith in his search, once she has bandaged her injured animals. "Find anything?" she asks.

Search (aid another): [roll0]

Pelor
2014-08-13, 03:03 AM
The group is able to patch up the girl and Dog well enough to get them back to Doc Cochran at least. Or that is the hope anyway. There was clean line in the back of the wagon. Surprisingly, only things of value seem to have been taken. There were still a good bit of supplies, food, linen, and other items. Jack, Bullock, Bill and Haggard take off to make sure the girl gets back to the Doc as soon as possible. Sara will take a few more minutes to finish patching up Horse. Everyone else has the option of going back with the main group or staying back with Sara.

WindStruck
2014-08-13, 03:08 AM
"Strange, I think the savages would have taken the food, at least."

Smith grabs a bundle of linen, intending to go back to town with it. It wasn't going to do any good here in the wagon, and if he couldn't get away with keeping it himself, he could at least say he was taking it back so the doctor or the girl could use later.

"Care to ride with me on my horse, miss?" he asks Sara.

esorscher
2014-08-13, 07:59 AM
Sara asks Jack to take Dog with her to Doc Cochran, while she considers the scene.

Sara finds it strange that the orcs, or elves, or whoever--the raiders, more appropriately--didn't take the food and linen. From her times with both native peoples, she had found them anything but savage, and she had always seen the logic behind their actions. Their attacks and their raids were always motivated by need, not greed, but the goods that a tribe would need most were left behind--including the wagon, which looked to be still serviceable. She looks around to see if the man who lead them here is still around. If he is, she says nothing, but she does go over to where she dropped her crossbow and pick it up. Then she walks casually toward him. "How did you know it was orcs, again?" she asks sweetly, ignoring Smith's offer for the time being.

podig
2014-08-13, 08:03 AM
Quaid stays with Sara and Smith, investigating the scene. There was no point in leaving all these goods to rot, and following Smith's lead, he begins packing what he can into the saddlebags of his borrowed horse. He starts with the other items and food, since Smith has the linen taken care of.

Then, he sees Sara's movements. "What is it you're thinking, little lady?"

esorscher
2014-08-13, 08:12 AM
"Well, Quaid," Sara says, raising her crossbow to point at their reluctant guide. The sweetness is gone from her voice as she continues, "You may have noticed me speaking Orcish with Jack at the camp the other night. You may be wondering how I know that tongue--it's not one most folks have the opportunity to study. I lived among the Orcs for a time, and I lived as one of them. Now, they do raids, and when they raid, they kill the humans. Course, usually their target is more than just a lone wagon, and usually their targets are heading west, not east. The reasons for that are logical, from a certain way of thinking. First off, you don't want to risk losing your tribesmen for small potatoes. Better to target a wagon train. Second, despite what some may think, Orcs ain't as savage as they seem. To them, our ways are savage. To them, signing a treaty actually means something. When we sign a treaty that says we ain't gonna cross the Big River, they expect that to hold. So humans heading west are heading on to their territory, and that's a threat. Their raids are defensive more than they are offensive, at least in their eyes. And while killing humans ain't exactly ideal, it's not like humans ain't killed plenty of Orcs.

Now, when Orcs raid, they're looking for material valuables, sure. But they ain't gonna sneeze at food and linen. Hides and furs are nice, but linen ain't nothing. When a native kills a buffalo, they use every part of the animal. Same with when they raid a wagon. They ain't gonna leave behind food, linens, and other items, just because they don't have a high resale value. The orc raiders got a whole tribe to feed back home, and these lands ain't as fertile as the ones we forced them off of. Not to mention they got to compete with elves, and with us.

All this inclines me to think that this raid wasn't done by Orcs, though it was made to look it. So tell me, Mr. Man, what is it makes you so certain it was Orcs? As I'm pretty certain it wasn't." Her eyes are cold steel as she gazes down the barrel of her crossbow at the guide who was so reluctant to come back to this place. "And what's that little girl gonna say when she wakes up? She gonna say it was Orcs, or men who butchered her family and left their corpses to rot unburied?"

podig
2014-08-13, 08:15 AM
Quaid listens patiently as Sara explains her reasoning. On the one hand, what she was saying made a certain amount of sense, and he didn't know enough about orcs to argue. It was strange that the raiders had left behind food and linen and the rest, especially considering how poor off the orcs were known to be. On the other hand, he didn't want to believe that men would kill an innocent family like this one, just for their valuables. Then again, he'd seen worse in the War.

He stands next to Sara, not sure whether he's going to stop her or help her. After some consideration, he pulls out his sling, and loads a bullet into it, drawing it back and pointing it at their guide. "You best start talking, son."

Designating Sara as my ward, for +1 AC and DR 1/-, as long as she stays within 5'

Vhaidara
2014-08-13, 08:18 AM
Jack carries Dog and the girl both to the doctor, seemingly oblivious to her own wound, which, while not mortal, is certainly ugly.

WindStruck
2014-08-13, 12:04 PM
Smith listens intently to the woman's conversation. She did have a valid point, though it seemed implicating the man was probably jumping to conclusions.

"Now, now. Even if this was a setup and not orcs, I'm sure the man just came across the wreckage but didn't actually see any. What were you doing out here all by yourself anyway? "

Sense motive: [roll0]

Pelor
2014-08-13, 08:09 PM
"Heh, you see, it ain't... It's not... it's nothing like that...you ain't nothing but Orc Lovers. That's stupid. Or course it was orcs, don't be accusing me you orc lovin' berk! I'm a man, I don't need to take this crap." The man turns and begins walking towards his horse, intent to mount up and most likely, ride away.

The sense motive is that he is angry, lying, and most likely, hiding something.

WindStruck
2014-08-13, 09:08 PM
"You're lying. What really happened?"

If the others move in to stop the man from leaving, Smith will assist.

podig
2014-08-13, 09:38 PM
"I'm a man, too," Quaid says, moving between the man and his horse. "Tell us the truth, or we'll assume you--and you alone--were responsible. Don't worry, you'll get a fair trial. Followed by a first-class hangin'." He holds his shield up, ready to smash the man with it if he continues to try and flee.

esorscher
2014-08-13, 09:41 PM
Sara keeps her crossbow up, pleased her hunch has paid off, and pleased that she has support among her fellows. She says nothing, content with what Smith and Quaid have already said, and joining in the sentiment that justice must be meted out by the powers-at-be in Deadwood, not by herself and her companions.

Pelor
2014-08-13, 09:43 PM
The man stops, sighs, and says, "You're right... it wasn't orcs..." In a split second the man has a wicked blade moving towards Quaid's throat.

[roll0] for [roll1]

Crit Confirm: (1d20+4)[20] for (1d4+3)[4]

Total of 8 damage.

He then attempts to tumble past Quaid and mount his horse.
[roll2]

esorscher
2014-08-13, 09:44 PM
Sara looses her crossbow at the fleeing man.

Point blank range.

Damage: [roll1]

podig
2014-08-13, 09:48 PM
Quaid drops his sling (free action), draws his sword (move action), slams his shield into the man (standard action), and slices at him with his sword as he passes (AoO for failed Tumble). Blood pours from his neck, but he is a resilient man, and he has faced worse wounds in the War.

Shield: [roll0], [roll1]
Sword (AoO): [roll2], [roll3]

WindStruck
2014-08-14, 12:32 AM
After the man slices into Quad's throat and tries to turn around to mount his horse, Smith quickly throws a dagger into his back.

attack:[roll0]
damage: [roll1]
sneak attack: [roll2]
crit confirm:[roll3]
crit damage: [roll4]

Pelor
2014-08-14, 03:28 AM
The man is felled before he makes it to his horse. A search of him reveals some a silver locket with a small drawn portrait of a family of five (2 parents, two boys, and a girl), two gold wedding rings, one for a man, and one with a small diamond for a woman. He also a decent sized nugget of gold, 10 platinum coins, 35 gold coins, 27 silver coins, and 16 copper coins. He has a kukri and is wearing studded leather armor. His horse has a few days worth of trail rations, two waterskins, a saddle, bit and bridle, and saddle bags.

The Wagon has enough food stuff for about 1 month, it has about 8gp worth of linen, 5 bedrolls, 10 winter blankets, and other assorted goods worth 58gp.

The alpha male and the wolf that was not hacked to pieces by Jack can have the pelt recovered with a Survival or appropriate Craft Check of DC 12.

For the work in returning the girl back to town, finding out about the highway men, dealing with the wolves, and taking care of one of the highway men, you all earn 485xp.

Good job!

WindStruck
2014-08-14, 09:46 AM
Smith says to the others, "I wonder if that man came across a good claim out here. Then again, if he was willing to murder a family, he probably slit somebody's throat for that nugget too."

podig
2014-08-14, 05:48 PM
"Maybe he did," Quaid says, staunching the flow of blood from his neck with a leftover bandage. "Dead men tell no tales, as the buccaneers would say. Too bad. I wish we could have questioned him about his co-conspirators, but he didn't give us much choice."

Quaid strips the man of his goods, and piles them up separate from the wagon. Most of the wagon's goods are in his horse's saddlebags, except the linen, which Smith has. He takes the wagon's goods out of his saddlebags, and puts them on the ground in another pile. To this pile he adds what seems like obvious personal effects from the girl's family, such as the locket and wedding rings. He gets the attention of Sara and Smith, and then explains. "In this pile I've put everything that looks like it belonged to the girl's family. I think she's entitled to it as her inheritance. Of course, she's too young to know what to do with it. She'll need a guardian, and whoever we find to be that person, should decide what to do with her inheritance. Naturally, we'd find someone who'll take care of her out of earnest, but this will help them to support her." His hand is over the pile of wagon goods. "Oh, and Smith, if you don't mind, I think that linen you took from the wagon ought to go in this pile, too."

Then he puts his hand over the other pile, of goods taken off the Highwayman. "In this pile I've put everything else. Who knows how that bastard got it, but he did, and so I guess by custom it belonged to him. Now he's dead, and it belongs to us. It'd be easy to split it between the three of us, but for everything she's done for us, I think Jack deserves a share, as well. I don't want to cheat her, anyway. She may not know she'd been cheated, but if she did, I wouldn't want her angry at me. I saw what she did to those wolves, and she could probably do for me just as easy. So, let's split it four ways. If any of us want any of his stuff, like his armor or his sword or whatever, we can buy it from ourselves for cheaper than at the markup the Deadwood merchants would charge us. I don't need anything, personally, so that's really up to you." He smiles. "I say all this, of course, knowing that in my weakened condition you could just as easily kill me and take it, anyway, and blame it on that Highwayman. But since you did come to my rescue, I trust that you won't. You're gamblers both; my cards are on the table. What do you have to say about what I've proposed?"

While the others mill over his proposal, Quaid takes a look at the wagon, to see if the wheels and axles are still intact, and if it can still be drawn.

esorscher
2014-08-14, 06:11 PM
Sara listens patiently, then laughs. "Of course I'm not going to kill you, Quaid," she says, punching him in the arm playfully. "You've saved my butt at least twice in the last hour." She smiles at him, considering his proposal. "Makes sense to me. I agree, Jack definitely deserves something, and I agree, that girl needs looking after. I'd offer myself, but I'm afraid I'm not much of a role model. If I end up her ersatz-mother, she certainly won't end up a lady. Still, it's better than being alone. If we can't find someone else, I'll take her in."

I agree with what you proposed OOC.

WindStruck
2014-08-14, 08:02 PM
"Oh, I was just taking this linen back to town for the girl. I'd put it with the other goods if we can get this wagon working again...."

He eyes the wagon dubiously. Almost busted.

"Anyway Mr. Quaid, I think splitting what belonged to the girl's family and the bandit is a fine idea, though I don't think we ought to get too carried away sharing with everyone else. After all, the other fellows certainly had a part in taking down the wolves too, but those wolves are different from this killer here. It might also be in Jack's interest if you just hold on to that gold for her, since she doesn't seem to understand its value."

What Smith is saying may be construed as racist, but in this case he is thinking of a very specific and personal example: when Jack offered 6 gold for food when she should have only been paying 5 silver pieces.

Vhaidara
2014-08-14, 08:09 PM
Jack makes her way over to where the others are gathering. She sees Quaid's neck.
Hurt?

podig
2014-08-14, 08:13 PM
"Howdy, Jack. I'll be alright, but I appreciate your concern. We were just figuring how to divvy up this bandit's loot, and who should be taking care of the girl. I said you had a right to some of this bastard's belongings, even if you didn't kill him outright, seeing all the good you've done for us. What do you think?"

esorscher
2014-08-14, 08:17 PM
Cheating Jack out of her share was out of the question, now--unless she could be persuaded. Even so, Sara had never intended to cut her out of the loot. "Howdy, Jack. You want anything in this pile?" she says, pointing at the pile of Highwayman loot. "Otherwise, you're entitled to a share of the profit." Sara picks up the coins out of the pile, and (unless someone stops her) splits them into four groups. One, she pockets. Another, she hands to Quaid. A third, she hands to Smith, and the last group she hands to Jack. "If you need help spending that cash, let me know. There's plenty of folks who'd take advantage of you in Deadwood, if you don't know what stuff's worth."

Vhaidara
2014-08-14, 08:20 PM
Jack looks at the pile.
Jack no need things.
She looks at Sara, and smiles.
You take Sara. Help Dog.

esorscher
2014-08-14, 08:22 PM
"Jack, you're a regular sweetheart. You may not need cash now, but you will someday. If it helps, I can hold onto it for you, so you don't spend it frivolously. Dog'll be just fine, and my share will pay his medical bills, easy." She'll translate into Orc if necessary to make sure Jack understands.

Sara can hold onto Jack's money IC, but OOC, please keep track of Jack's "wealth" on her sheet.

WindStruck
2014-08-14, 08:32 PM
"Well you know her language. Why don't you do that then?" Smith asks, with a wink.

podig
2014-08-14, 08:32 PM
"I have to agree, Jack. Even if you trust Sara," Quaid says, smiling at the young woman, "As I'm sure she's worthy of, it wouldn't be right to give her your share. You ought to have it--you earned it. If you outright refuse--WHICH I STRONGLY CAUTION YOU AGAINST--the three of us can split it."

esorscher
2014-08-14, 08:34 PM
Just to make Smith happy, Sara translates into Orc.

If Keledrath understands (which I'm sure he does), and wants Jack to understand, Jack will understand, thus the conditional but abbreviated, "will." Wouldn't want to be communicating in a secret language, who knows what someone might think Sara is saying. Unless you mean, hold onto Jack's share, in which case, I'd be happy to, but it's up to Keledrath/Jack.

Pelor
2014-08-15, 06:40 AM
Back in Deadwood, Doc Cochran, a scraggly haired, eccentric, yet compassionate wisp of a man immediately takes the girl to his office and begins to work on her. He says he will take care of dog once he has the girl stable.

It takes a while, but Doc soon comes out and tells everyone he has done all he can. What happens to the girl will up to her and any divine presence that might care to intervene. He then begins caring for dog, as best he can. "The pup will be fine, but you need to have him wear this cone and keep him from being to active for the next few days... just to keep from opening his stitches." He then looks to Quaid and Jack. "Both of you look a little worse for the wear. Let me patch ya'll up real quick." The Doc will, if allowed, clean and sew up any wounds the players might have. Those receiving the docs treatment receive 4hp.

Bullock, Bill and Haggard all approach and Bullock speaks. "Where is that lop-eared no good degenerate? We think he had something to do with the attack on that wagon. Did you see where he took off too?"

podig
2014-08-15, 07:22 AM
Quaid gladly lets the Doc patch him up. "Thank you, Doctor. I imagine you and I are going to be seeing a lot of each other." He smiles jocularly. "What do I owe you for your services?"

At Bullock's approach, Quaid stiffens, but when Bullock speaks, he relaxes. "We thought as much as well, and Sara confronted him about it. He tried to ride off, but I got between him and his horse. We pressed him for the truth, and he gave it to us--and to me, he gave this nice knife wound," he explains, pointing at his throat. "We put him down, for good, but I'd wager he didn't act alone. We ought to let folks know it wasn't orcs, keep them from getting too riled up. And we ought to let folks know that there's highwaymen about."

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out the locket and wedding rings. "Bastard had these on him, if this," he points to his neck again, "isn't enough proof."

esorscher
2014-08-15, 07:26 AM
Sara kneels down next to Dog, stroking the poor creatures head. She kisses his nose and rubs her face against his snout. "Such a brave beast," she says. "He'll definitely be getting pampered. Thank you, Doc. You really are my savior," she smiles friendly, and kisses the doctor on the cheek.

She doesn't interrupt Quaid as he recounts their story, and notes he didn't mention any of the loot taken off the highwayman. She, too, keeps quiet about it. Though she firmly believes it is theirs by right, she didn't want to bring it up, in case she was wrong. After Quaid finishes, she does ask after the girl. "When that girl wakes up, who's going to take care of her?"

Pelor
2014-08-15, 03:33 PM
Bill shrugs, "Seems you took care of that for us. Guess I can go get a drink now."

Bullock nods to the group. "Thank you for what you did. I don't know what will become the girl, I just know the Doc will be taking care of her for the next few days."

The Doc answers, "You saved this girl... no charge this time. Of course, if you could keep you eyes out on any supplies, I would be much obliged."

It is a few hours before midnight now, and the town is mostly quiet save for the Gem, another smaller, more quaint bar further down the thoroughfare and yourselves.

Vhaidara
2014-08-15, 03:53 PM
Jack winces as the Doc patches her up.
Thanks.
Jack seems to think on what Sara had said.
Keep money. Jack bad money.

esorscher
2014-08-15, 07:06 PM
Sara nods to Jack. "I'll hold onto it for you Jack, but I want to be very clear--it belongs to you, and I'm not going to touch it." (OOC: Keep track of it on your sheet but Sara will hold onto it for RP purposes).

To Doc, Sara says, "Thanks again, Doc. I don't know what I would have done without you. I thank you, and if Dog could talk Common, he'd thank you, too. Horse got hurt, too, but I imagine Hostetler would be the man to talk to about patching him up." Unless Doc is able to treat Horse, Sara will take him to Hostetler's for stabling and treatment. Either way, she'll take Horse to Hostetler's for stabling, at least.

Then she turns to the rest of the group. "I'd go get a drink with you, but I'm pretty tired from everything that happened today. I'll be at Wu's if you need me."

With that, she takes Horse and Dog with her and departs Doc's office. Anyone is welcome to follow her. She drops Horse off at the Livery and walks with Dog over to Wu's. If Wu is awake, she has questions for him. If not, she will find comfortable space on the floor and curl up next to Dog.

podig
2014-08-15, 07:36 PM
Although concerned that Jack might be being taken advantage of, it is really none of Quaid's business. At least what Sara has said does seem to be honest. Quaid slips the Doctor a gold piece, regardless. "I'll keep an eye out for anything that looks like it might be useful. What sort of things are you looking for?"

If there's a group of people going to get a drink, Quaid will join them. Otherwise, he'll head over to Farnum's Hotel, to get a room for the night with some of his newfound coin, with the intention of returning in the morning to check on the little girl.

Pelor
2014-08-16, 06:42 AM
Doc nods to Jack when she says thanks. He also accepts the gold coin from Quaid with a nod of appreciation. "Any kind of medicine, bandages, special poultices, and a wide range of alchemist ingredients could be used." He shows everyone out and goes back to attending the girl.

Hostetler sees the horse and immedietly runs over and gets his bag. "I'll take care of your animal, don't you worry." He begins puling out ointments and such. It is obvious that Horse will be in good hands.

Wu is raking the muck when Sara returns. He points to his bed and says, <"I have already slept. You are welcome to use my bed for the night.">

E.B. Farnum can be peeking his head out his door, to see what kind of action is going on. When he sees Quaid approaching to find a room for the night he runs back inside and is waiting behind the counter "Greetings and Salutations my esteemed Sir. Quite the calamity seems to have befallen our enterprising little establishment. Might I interest you in one of the finest rooms in Deadwood?

podig
2014-08-16, 07:54 AM
Quaid smiles at the hotelier's obsequious approach, and wonders how far it will go. "What calamity do you speak of?" he asks, smiling. "And the finest room in Deadwood needn't be more than four walls and a roof, if you haven't any competition to speak of. What amenities do you offer, and at what cost?"

esorscher
2014-08-16, 08:28 AM
"Thank you, Hostetler," Sara says, handing him a gold coin.

When she reaches Wu, she says, in halfling, "<Thank you, Wu. I have had a long day and a longer night, and a bed is most welcome, as I want to be well rested before tomorrow morning. I don't believe you've told me, but who you are meeting with, that you require my translation services?>" Who makes no difference to her, but would be good to know, nonetheless.

Pelor
2014-08-16, 08:31 AM
Farnum looks distraught. "Surely you jest, I refer of course to the possee riding out of town after the rigamaroar and talks savages ravaging and defiling a family headed back East. And of course the heroic return of the posse with the rescued damsel in tow. And of course, the posse returned with one less person and... um... well, some injuries." He says the last bit while pointing to a certain injured neck. "Nonetheless, my rooms are 1gp per night or 6gp for the week. available food available for breakfast and supper. Should you require anything else, please inquire here at the front desk."

podig
2014-08-16, 08:35 AM
"Ah, I wouldn't know anything about that." Quaid smiles. "I'll rent a room for a week" he puts three coins on the counter. "Half now, half at the end of the week. That's seven days," he says, holding up his fingers as he counts "One, two, three, four, five, six, seven." By the end he is holding up eight fingers. "Top floor, if you would be so good, and send a woman to draw a bath up to my room. A brunette, if you've got one."

Vhaidara
2014-08-16, 10:40 AM
Jack goes to find a tree to curl up under. She liked trees.

WindStruck
2014-08-16, 03:11 PM
Smith silently stands by while the others explain their story, nodding in affirmation at certain parts if anything. He didn't have much to say, and after seeing the girl off, returning the horse he rode on, and bringing his "new" horse back to the stables for shelter, he wanders back to The Gem.

He looks for the man in charge and asks what he was going to before the commotion started. "Mr. Swearegen? I heard a rumor that you may be looking to hire someone for a special job..."

Pelor
2014-08-16, 08:12 PM
Wu mentions to Sara that the meeting is with <"Swigen"> and leaves it at that.

Farnum stumbles over his words a bit. "We, uh, that is to say, that, I, or rather, my establishment, in this instance, does not provide, or in this instance, is not, uh, equipped, uh, to handle the request that you have. We do have bathtubs, and water, and the water can be heated but, the uh, well, the service that you, seem inclined, to uh, well, I think the Gem is, that is to say, I would uh, talk to Mr. Sweragen at the Gem. Good day sir!"

Smith approaches Sweragen about a special job. "Special? All of my jobs are vulkin' special. My question is, what makes you different from all the other lop-eared, low-life degenerates, who come in here wanting some kind of charity or handout?"

Jack sleeps like a baby.

podig
2014-08-16, 08:23 PM
Quaid slams his hand down on the counter. "Then run yourself across the street and get one for me, damnit!" He waits a moment to see the hotelier's reaction, then says, "Ah, I'm just jerking your chain, my good man. Show me to my room, if you would be so kind, and I'll get to bed."

esorscher
2014-08-16, 08:26 PM
Sara nods, and heads to bed. Dog jumps up onto the bed and curls up on her legs. Before sleeping, she packs her pipe once more, to provide her with a dreamless sleep. Somehow her dreams always turned into nightmares.

Fortitude DC 6
Initial Effect: 1 point of Wisdom damage.
Secondary Effect: The smoker gains a +2 alchemical bonus to Strength for 1d3 hours.
Side Effects: A creature under the effect of devilweed is easily confused and acts skittish (treat as shaken).
Satiation lasts 10 days.

Initial Fort: [roll0]
Secondary Fort: Intentional failure, strength bonus for [roll1] hours
Addiction Fort: [roll2]

WindStruck
2014-08-16, 09:10 PM
Smith is a bit affronted by the man's attitude, though he plays it cool and applies a small amount of the attitude back. "Well for one thing, I'm not a lop-eared, low-life degenerate. And I ain't lookin' for charity; as I said, I was asking about a job."

Then Smith shrugs smugly. "Though it's hard to say without any specifics. Anything in particular you are having trouble getting your hands on?"

Pelor
2014-08-16, 09:44 PM
"Yeah, well, if you can get a crew together, I may have a small job. Nothing big, but it will require a few extra hands. Pays well, and will get you set up for future jobs, if you pan out and don't get yourself killed or vulk it up too bad. Come back in the morning and we'll talk specifics."

WindStruck
2014-08-16, 09:55 PM
Smith nods. "Sure thing. See you tomorrow."

Smith meanders off outside. The silhouettes of the encampment under moon and starlight made it difficult to discern what was what. Smith didn't have a tent at the moment, though he honestly wasn't expecting so many tents around the "town" as well. It was a lot of squalor for a place that was supposedly making it big. Maybe the whole town was a con in its own right.

In any case, there were lots of complications with renting out a piece of dirt in the town. Smith skulked off into a more wooded area, set his pack down, and brought out his bedroll and blankets. He set up his sleeping area in a cozy spot between a few bushes, got comfortable, and tried to get some sleep. Hopefully he'd have a room in the following nights. But for now, at least it didn't smell so badly of crap.

Pelor
2014-08-18, 12:31 AM
The town of deadwood begins bustling well before sun up. It seems everyone in camp needs to meet with Al Sweregen first thing. There is a line waiting outside his upstairs office in the Gem.

Bullock is first in line, followed by the chief Editor of the Deadwood Pioneer, Mr. Merrick. Mr. Wu and Sara are next followed by a few other individuals. Haggard walks up there as well.

Anyone else who wishes to meet with Sweregen can join in as well.

WindStruck
2014-08-18, 01:10 AM
Well, Sweregen told him to be there in the morning, and apparently so many other people had business with him too... it almost did look like people lined up for charity. Anywho, after packing his stuff up and heading back to deadwood, Smith gets in the line, curious about what is happening.

podig
2014-08-18, 07:35 AM
Quaid wakes up in the soft bed in Farnum's hotel and thinks, This was worth one gold piece, but I can't start getting used to this. He would need to find more permanent residence or he'd be ought of stake in about 3 months. Once he'd found a claim, he could sleep there, but for the time being, this would suit. Besides, he'd paid for the week already.

He looks out the window and sees the line forming in front of Swearengen's, and wonders why everybody is such an alcoholic that they'd need a drink first thing in the morning. Then he realizes that the man who owned the saloon, one of the few permanent buildings, was probably more than just a barkeep. He wonders why Swearengen hadn't sent a representative at least to investigate the crime scene the night before--or maybe, that highwayman had been his representative. Then his speculation settles down as his stomach grumbles loudly, unfed since the trail rations the night before.

He heads downstairs to breakfast and takes in the scene, looking at the fellow patrons of Farnum's hotel as he eats the meal provided with his room.

Vhaidara
2014-08-18, 10:18 AM
Jack gets up nice and early and looks for Swearengen's house. Then realizes she has no idea where that is. So she wanders until she sees someone she knows.

You guys can pick if she sees Quaid, Sara, or Smith first

esorscher
2014-08-18, 06:23 PM
Sara wakes up to Dog licking her face, as she does most mornings. She smiles and licks his face back. Although compelled to smoke, she decides to hold off until after her important meeting with Swearengen.

She walks with Wu to the house, conversing in halfling about what to expect, what they are meeting about, and other things. She also asks Wu how long he has been in Deadwood, and talks to him about the events of the previous night. She asks him if attacks on travelers are common, and who is buying up goods without asking too many questions. (Assuming she finds out he is, she asks him if he has any repeat customers.)

Once they get in sight of the Gem, she stops talking, unless spoken to. Then, when she sees Jack, she waves. "Hey, Jack!" she calls out.

Vhaidara
2014-08-18, 06:36 PM
Jack hears Sara, sees her, and lumbers over.
Hi Sara. Jack look for wood.

esorscher
2014-08-18, 06:42 PM
"I don't know anything about that," Sara says. "Maybe there's a forest nearby? But I bet you could find better paying work, if you were interested. Hell, I know it." She smiles. "Of course, if you're dead set on chopping wood, just start walking in any direction. Eventually you'll find a tree. Of course, you have to find someone to sell it to. After I finish up here, I have to swing by Bullock's to start working on some acid. If anyone's interested in hiring you, I'd bet him and Saul would be the one to talk to... hey--here he is in line!" She gets his attention. "Hey, Bullock, do you and Saul sell firewood?"

Pelor
2014-08-21, 06:50 AM
Smith sees, and hears a variety of things as people head into Swearegen's office. There are sometimes muffled whispers coming form inside, and other times full on yelling and cursing. The exchange between Bullock and Swearegen is especially heated.

Quaid sees a wide variety of people downstairs for breakfast at Farnum's hotel. There is a line of people waiting to get food from an older, longer haired dirty fellow. It seems breakfast was free with your meal. The eggs are a little over cooked and rubbery, the grits are a little thick, and the bacon tastes... funny.

On his way out, Bullock mentions, while he is walking rather hastily and with an angry scowl on his face. "Talk to Saul, if I stay here any longer I'm gonna beat that sorry excuse for a humanbeing to a pulp!"

Wu tells Sara he doesn't get much of the local news because of his lack of a translator. He says that if it doesn't have to do with Halflings, he almost never concerns himself with it. Sara and Wu are brought into Swearegen's officer. "What's this, the halfling has found his a human woman... somethings never cease to vulkin' amaze. Tell me do you speak his crazy little language?

Jack remembers that Haggard said he would help her find some work today.

podig
2014-08-21, 06:59 AM
Quaid stomachs the meal, and nods his thanks to the old man when he leaves. He heads down to the river to look for a decent claim. He waves to those he sees from the night before, but does not stop to chat.

(Take 20 on Search [21], Profession Miner [roll0])

esorscher
2014-08-21, 07:01 AM
"I do, among others," Sara says, ignoring the offensive nature to his remarks. Men of power rarely cared what others thought of them, and it seemed Swearengen was no different. "You must be Mr. Swearengen. I don't believe we've been introduced. I'm Ms. Stone. Mr. Wu has brought me to serve as his translator, and that's what I'll be doing, henceforth."

Vhaidara
2014-08-22, 06:27 PM
With her sudden memory, Jack looks down the line and sees Haggard. She walks over to him.
Hello.