PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Miser with Magic.

Yael
2014-08-01, 06:25 AM
I just adquired the book: Kingdoms of Kalamar: Player's Guide, and I found this feat that looks ridiculously overpowered or ridiculously useless. As I read it, and not quoting: You can use this feat abilities on a number of spell levels equal to the ability score modifier appropiate to the type of spells you cast (which I assume that INT +1 = 1st-level spells, INT +2 = 2nd-level spells, and so on...)

So, well, as my small comprehension of the English language teaches me, I see it similar to casting a number of spell levels (like if you have a mod of +3, you can cast 1 level 1st and 1 level 2nd.)

How this goes?

Am I allowed to spellcraft at EVERY spell whose level is equal or less than my casting stat's modifier, OR am I allowed to spellcraft a number of spell levels equal to my casting stat's modifier, per day?

Bullet06320
2014-08-01, 06:37 AM
you can use it on a total number of spell levels per day as the bonus on your primary casting stat
in your example of +3 bonus, you could use it for 3 first level spells, 1 first level spell and 1 2nd level spell, or 1 3rd level spell, assuming you make the spellcraft DC

Necroticplague
2014-08-01, 06:40 AM
The limit is total. So if your mod is +3, you can save 3 levels worth of spell per day, whether it be 3 level 1, or a level 1 and level 2.

Trilby
2014-08-01, 09:22 AM
The above posters are right, it's casting stat mod # of levels per day. So INT +3 retains either 6 level 0 spells, 3 level 1 spells, 1 spell of levels 2 and 1 each, 1 level 2 spell and 2 level 0 spells, or 1 level 3 spell.

I had this feat on my ultimate magus because it fit the concept very well (magic was a precious resource to this guy). It was definitely powerful. I took it at 9th level, and had a +7 INT modifier at the time. So that was a lot of ways to reuse my spells. This guy's focus was on always having magic to sling at foes, and Miser with Magic definitely contributed to that. I could cast an extra 4th and an extra 3rd level spell each day. I violated the first commandment, so 5ths weren't a thing yet, for me; Still, the equivalent gp for a lvl4 and lvl3 Pearl of Power: 25.000. That's a lot of gp at lvl 9, when WBL is 36.000.

It was huge. So huge, in fact that I decided not to use the feat that way (most of the time. Against the BBEG all's fair). I mainly used my miserliness to cast more level 0/1/2 spells. The spellcraft DC was easily made (d20 +12 ranks, +7 int, +misc modifiers vs. 10+2xSpell level), so there really was no downside to the feat.

I'm curious: you said that the way you read it, MwM was either really powerful, or a dud. How'd you read this feat as a 'meh'? Granted, it didn't strike me as immensely OP when I chose it (which it turned out to be), but it never struck me as a 'meh' feat.

Yael
2014-08-01, 04:48 PM
I'm curious: you said that the way you read it, MwM was either really powerful, or a dud. How'd you read this feat as a 'meh'? Granted, it didn't strike me as immensely OP when I chose it (which it turned out to be), but it never struck me as a 'meh' feat.

I read it on a twisted way, for what I read somewhere in the net, this power could have been used any number of times for those spells whose spell level equals or are less than your PCS (INT for wizs and else), so a feat this strong would be a big NO-NO at any table :S

But my question was solved, thank you all!