PDA

View Full Version : d100's that aren't golfballs?

ImNotTrevor
2014-08-01, 10:46 AM
This is a very simple question that is likely caused by my google-fu not being up to scratch. But whatever.

Is there anywhere that a person can acquire a d100 that isn't a spherical golfball or the d%/d10 combo?

I could have sworn that I had seen a 100 sided dice when I was younger, that was distinctly not a golfball. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I could have sworn such a thing existed.

If so, where would one come across such a die, and where would I go to chuck my money so that I could have one?

Jeraa
2014-08-01, 10:54 AM
For 100 sided dice, I've only ever seen the golfballs. After a quick image search, those are all I can see. (Besides the 2 10 sided dice.) If you want a non-dice alternative, there are things like Spinner Rings (http://www.amazon.com/CritSuccess-Spinner-Dice-Stainless-Engraving/dp/B00F7OIUQK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406908380&sr=8-2&keywords=Spinner+Dice+Ring+100).

obryn
2014-08-01, 10:55 AM
There are transparent dice with a d10-in-a-d10, but that's about all I can think of.

Geometrically, a d100 is going to be basically a ball or basically a cylinder, unless it's way too big for practical tabletop use.

ImNotTrevor
2014-08-01, 10:58 AM
Huh. The one I saw many moons ago was pretty dang big. Easily the size of my young-boy fist or slightly bigger.

A cylinder wouldn't be too bad.

(I ask because I'm working on a d100-based system and I was wondering if there were single dice that could be used for such a purpose, but it looks like that won't be as easy to find as I hoped)

Jeraa
2014-08-01, 10:59 AM
There are transparent dice with a d10-in-a-d10, but that's about all I can think of.

Yeah, I had just found that (http://www.amazon.com/10-Sided-Double-Dice-set-4/dp/B004VS0SEU/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1406908550&sr=8-30&keywords=100+sided+dice). Those seem to be the only non-golfball "100 sided" die I can find.

AtlanteanTroll
2014-08-01, 11:00 AM
Could just go with a percentage die in conjunction with a d10...

ImNotTrevor
2014-08-01, 11:05 AM
Could just go with a percentage die in conjunction with a d10...

I am aware of that option, and it is the fallback. But a single dice with 100 sides is slightly easier to deal with. (In my opinion)

Knaight
2014-08-01, 11:12 AM
There are ring dice - as far as I know they're made by exactly one company, but I think they have a d100 - if I remember correctly, it's a ring with two spinning parts, one for the ten digit, one for the one digit.

Segev
2014-08-01, 11:17 AM
I just use the d% myself, but there is the option of pseudo-random number generators, as well. They even make aps for phones, I think, that will do it.

ImNotTrevor
2014-08-01, 11:19 AM
There are ring dice - as far as I know they're made by exactly one company, but I think they have a d100 - if I remember correctly, it's a ring with two spinning parts, one for the ten digit, one for the one digit.

I saw those. Seems to be sketchy level of accuracy to me. (One of the problems with the golfball, if memory serves.)

Maybe I'll have to get something that can model a 100-sided cylinder and get it 3d printed down at the college library. (My college is cool like that.)

If anything develops, I'll be sure to let you all know.

obryn
2014-08-01, 12:05 PM
Yeah, if you're opposed to 2d10 for some reason, I'd go with a dice-rolling app on a phone or tablet.

Airk
2014-08-01, 12:50 PM
I am aware of that option, and it is the fallback. But a single dice with 100 sides is slightly easier to deal with. (In my opinion)

It's really not, because of the aforementioned problems with objects that have 100 freakin' sides. There is a serious reason why 99% of gamers in the world use 2d10 and not 1d100.

Also, FYI, if your system involves math of any kind, percentile is actually a pretty bad choice. I speak from experience here. Quick. What's 77+25+10? And what's your margin of success on a difficulty of 50?

Millennium
2014-08-01, 01:35 PM
Um, no offense, but how did you arrive at this conclusion?

obryn
2014-08-01, 01:39 PM
Yeah, every time I've tried to use a d100 (oh the 80's...) it was ridiculously hard to read and much, much worse than paired dice.

cobaltstarfire
2014-08-01, 01:48 PM

So then stick to your d100. You've been told numerous times now that there really isn't many other choices because having 100 even sides is going to make something approximately round, there's really not much that can be done to change that.

ImNotTrevor
2014-08-01, 03:53 PM
It's really not, because of the aforementioned problems with objects that have 100 freakin' sides. There is a serious reason why 99% of gamers in the world use 2d10 and not 1d100.

Also, FYI, if your system involves math of any kind, percentile is actually a pretty bad choice. I speak from experience here. Quick. What's 77+25+10? And what's your margin of success on a difficulty of 50?

117, and in this system, it depends. Just about everything is in groups of 5 or 10. It's not really a system for serious gaming. It's being developed for my wife and I to do 1 on 1 gaming, and she finds the percentile system easier to wrap her head around. So I'm using it.

As for why I figure rolling one object instead of two is better, I just want to cut down on math. As some have said, math will be a thing and might get tough. Further, the concept of 100 sided dice makes me giggle and sadly every variation I've seen is horribly ugly. So I was hoping for something less barftastic-looking. But alas.

Thanks for the help, though. My question was answered. At this point peeps are beating a dead horse.

Edit:

So then stick to your d100. You've been told numerous times now that there really isn't many other choices because having 100 even sides is going to make something approximately round, there's really not much that can be done to change that.

Not sure if this is your intention, but this comes across as needlessly hostile. Calm down, man. It's dice.

Amidus Drexel
2014-08-01, 05:03 PM
117, and in this system, it depends. Just about everything is in groups of 5 or 10. It's not really a system for serious gaming. It's being developed for my wife and I to do 1 on 1 gaming, and she finds the percentile system easier to wrap her head around. So I'm using it.

As for why I figure rolling one object instead of two is better, I just want to cut down on math. As some have said, math will be a thing and might get tough. Further, the concept of 100 sided dice makes me giggle and sadly every variation I've seen is horribly ugly. So I was hoping for something less barftastic-looking. But alas.

Thanks for the help, though. My question was answered. At this point peeps are beating a dead horse.

112, you mean. :smallwink:

And it's more of picking a probability curve than anything else when you're selecting a dice system. Nice, large, flat curves (1d20, d%) are really good if you like lots of randomness.

Honestly, I find 2d10 to not really be any more math than 1d100. You're just reading the numbers off.

Airk
2014-08-01, 08:19 PM

The defense rests, since you had all the time in the world and you STILL got it wrong.

Most people are bad at basic arithmetic when you start dealing with the range of numbers a percentile system produces. And it doesn't matter if your MODIFIERS are 5 or 10, because your ROLL is still going to be some random ass number. All of the modifiers in my example where multiples of 5. I ran a game using basically this system for a while, and people ranged from "Hold on, I got this....carry the two... uh..." to "Where's my calculator?"

You can produce what is a virtually identical effect using a d20 and often even a single d10 and the numbers are way easier. There is in fact VERY little advantage to percentile systems UNLESS you can find some way to use the crazy granularity they give you. Otherwise, they're just a flat probably curve like any other single die, only the math is harder for most people.

And sure, it's easier for people to wrap their head around "my total is 75 so that's my percent chance" that's almost never how these games end up working, so....yeah.

Anyway, I'm not actually trying to be down on your system, I'm just saying that I DID THIS, pretty much EXACTLY this, for pretty similar reasons, and it didn't work out well at all.

Knaight
2014-08-01, 09:16 PM
The defense rests, since you had all the time in the world and you STILL got it wrong.

I got 112 within a second, and probably within a half second. Granted, it helped that the numbers were really convenient - 77+25+10 is also 75+25+10+2, and that collapses down neatly as the 75+25 is an obvious hundred group, where something like 57+25+10 would have taken slightly longer.

With that said, I suspect I'm non-representative here, and I can attest that percentile dice slow my table down, largely because it does take a hair longer for me to do the calculations than with other systems, and that adds up when I'm the one doing all the math at the system (which is basically all the time, because apparently adding your modifier to the roll then telling me the result is too hard for my players) it adds up.

Prince Raven
2014-08-02, 12:18 AM
In my experience with d100 systems entirely based on multiples of 5, all you have is a d20 system with bigger numbers.

Anyway, in my experience percentile dice are by far the easiest way to do d100 that involves real dice.

I got 112 within a second, and probably within a half second. Granted, it helped that the numbers were really convenient - 77+25+10 is also 75+25+10+2, and that collapses down neatly as the 75+25 is an obvious hundred group, where something like 57+25+10 would have taken slightly longer.

Interesting, I did 7+2+1 is 10, 7+5 is 12, so 112.

ImNotTrevor
2014-08-02, 08:38 AM
I guess I've got egg on my face for the math bit. I thought I wrote 112. Guess not.

I'll take the advice into account and see what I can do. Granted, this is being designed for 1 on 1 with the wife and maybe with her family

Edit: I did the 75 + 25 + 10 +2 method.
The primary method for figuring out if you succeed is kinda backwards, but my wife likes it and understands it thus far. If it presents major problems then we'll switch the numbers over. Since it is based on increments of 5, that's the same on a d20 as increments of 1, so the conversion would be quick and easy.

CombatOwl
2014-08-02, 10:45 AM
This is a very simple question that is likely caused by my google-fu not being up to scratch. But whatever.

Is there anywhere that a person can acquire a d100 that isn't a spherical golfball or the d%/d10 combo?

I could have sworn that I had seen a 100 sided dice when I was younger, that was distinctly not a golfball. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I could have sworn such a thing existed.

If so, where would one come across such a die, and where would I go to chuck my money so that I could have one?

Cell phone with RNG.

Knaight
2014-08-02, 01:25 PM
Interesting, I did 7+2+1 is 10, 7+5 is 12, so 112.

That's the more formal way, but I've found that the method I used is actually a lot faster for me for most numbers - if it were something like 1,123,298+4,139,847+4,732,198, I'd probably revert to the formal method.

Also, if that math ever comes up in an RPG, I'm switching systems, but I digress.

Studoku
2014-08-02, 03:33 PM
Yeah, every time I've tried to use a d100 (oh the 80's...) it was ridiculously hard to read and much, much worse than paired dice.
Not to mention the fact that they always roll off the table.

Mutazoia
2014-08-02, 04:48 PM
Have you though of trying this? (http://www.critsuccess.com/index.php/front-page/r100.html#.U91cCPldXg0)

Jay R
2014-08-04, 03:34 PM
I once sold Gamescience a prototype d100 with 100 identical polygons, but Lou never got around to making them.

Studoku
2014-08-04, 06:10 PM
I once sold Gamescience a prototype d100 with 100 identical polygons, but Lou never got around to making them.
Did it involve non-euclidean geometry?

SiuiS
2014-08-04, 06:12 PM

Geometrically, a d100 is going to be basically a ball or basically a cylinder, unless it's way too big for practical tabletop use.

That actually sounds cool.

Jay R
2014-08-04, 08:39 PM
Did it involve non-euclidean geometry?

Nope - just relaxing some restrictions. In the five platonic solids, every face is regular and identical to every other face, and every vertex is similar to every other vertex.

In the Catalan solids, every face is identical to every other face, but they are not regular, and have different vertices, though each one has the same set of vertices as any other, and in the same order. For instance, the faces of the d30 are rhombuses (rhombi?). The two acute angles are where five faces come together, and the two obtuse angles are where three faces come together.

My d100 has 100 congruent isosceles triangles, but the vertices aren't all the same. I can't get more specific, because, as I said, I sold the design.

JusticeZero
2014-08-05, 10:44 PM
I played in a game that used percentiles to model the entire statistical space between 0-1. At one point the main fighter rolled something like 0.999928 on a swing and dished out some excessive amounts of hurt on a mini boss.

Bulhakov
2014-08-09, 06:06 PM
What about sticking 2d10 in a their own small plastic container? Something like this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-W0X036JxzhU/T5vhxNoXtMI/AAAAAAAAAH4/bgx6NFrqNbQ/s1600/P1030034.JPG