PDA

View Full Version : Do you think PVP Tournaments will be more fun in 5e then 3e?

CyberThread
2014-08-01, 11:25 AM
Am just looking over a few core things, and it thinks that this edition has a heavy chance of finally being more then just wizard tag.

hawklost
2014-08-01, 11:58 AM
Am just looking over a few core things, and it thinks that this edition has a heavy chance of finally being more then just wizard tag.

I think it could be fun, especially if the way it was set up was random locals/starting locations

I was attempting in my spare time to make a random calculator for the following

- Location (plains/rocky area/hills/wall/road with trees on either side/river crossing zone, ect)

- Random start location of players (within reason)

- Random Starting time for both players. This is one that throws anyone who tries to buff up before the fight. They won't know if the enemy will appear immediate, if they already in the area or if they might be (enter rounds/minutes/hours) between one entrant and another. (Can be turned off, but I feel its important against those people who feel they should buff everything cause they know they will be fighting)

- Rounds - Each fight can be between 1-5 rounds (unknown amount when starting, or even known). Each round starts the characters off at full HP and having had a short rest between the last round (Not long rest). This again, evens the field against people blowing all their most powerful effects that only are usable once a day all in the first combat. (Best 1/1, 2/3 or 3/5 wins)

emeraldstreak
2014-08-01, 12:05 PM

I don't remember any notable 3e tournament being a wizard tag.

PinkysBrain
2014-08-01, 12:13 PM
It used to be magic item tag, without significant magic items it will turn into caster tag.

Madfellow
2014-08-01, 05:02 PM
Wait, this is a thing? I suppose it could be fun... for the winner at least.

I think it could be fun, especially if the way it was set up was random locals/starting locations
I was attempting in my spare time to make a random calculator for the following
- Location (plains/rocky area/hills/wall/road with trees on either side/river crossing zone, ect)
- Random start location of players (within reason)
- Random Starting time for both players. This is one that throws anyone who tries to buff up before the fight. They won't know if the enemy will appear immediate, if they already in the area or if they might be (enter rounds/minutes/hours) between one entrant and another. (Can be turned off, but I feel its important against those people who feel they should buff everything cause they know they will be fighting)
- Rounds - Each fight can be between 1-5 rounds (unknown amount when starting, or even known). Each round starts the characters off at full HP and having had a short rest between the last round (Not long rest). This again, evens the field against people blowing all their most powerful effects that only are usable once a day all in the first combat. (Best 1/1, 2/3 or 3/5 wins)

So... The Hunger Games, but with magic?

da_chicken
2014-08-01, 05:27 PM
PvP tournaments are not fun. D&D is not built around modelling or balancing PvP and many classes cannot compete in an arena tournament.

It's like doing PvP in in Icewind Dale or Diablo 1. Sure, it can be done, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Envyus
2014-08-01, 05:28 PM
It used to be magic item tag, without significant magic items it will turn into caster tag.

A fighter will pretty easily crush a Wizard in close combat if he gets close.

CyberThread
2014-08-01, 08:00 PM
PvP tournaments are not fun. D&D is not built around modelling or balancing PvP and many classes cannot compete in an arena tournament.

It's like doing PvP in in Icewind Dale or Diablo 1. Sure, it can be done, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Mostly it is a play by post thing, for forums, rather then r/l gaming tables.

You will see min maxers face each other, doing gesalt and all that jazz.

da_chicken
2014-08-01, 08:19 PM
Mostly it is a play by post thing, for forums, rather then r/l gaming tables.

You will see min maxers face each other, doing gesalt and all that jazz.

Thus reinforcing my assertion.

CyberThread
2014-08-01, 08:36 PM
Thus reinforcing my assertion.

It is utterly fair, it is about esotaric knowledge, and game rules knowledge. Everyone may go wizard/swordsage

but that isn't the point, the point is that everyone is fighting with nuclar swiss army knives, so which combo will you go with?

da_chicken
2014-08-01, 08:47 PM
It is utterly fair, it is about esotaric knowledge, and game rules knowledge. Everyone may go wizard/swordsage

but that isn't the point, the point is that everyone is fighting with nuclar swiss army knives, so which combo will you go with?

I choose beer, pizza, and Netflix. Seriously, PvP with tippies is exhibiting all the worst parts of RPG games. I would rather help my friend playtest a manaless dredge deck for Legacy Magic.

Lokiare
2014-08-02, 06:52 AM

It depends, if you enjoy throwing dice and everything hinging on a single dice roll, then 5E will make a great PVP Tournament game. If you like player choice and skill more then it probably won't.