PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 - Forest creatures, or fey, that raise the dead?

jordan.k93
2014-08-01, 01:03 PM
I'm looking for an interesting plot twist, but I atleast want some kind of reasoning behind it, basically, a pretty rough encounter went bad, a PC and NPC went down and bit the big one, I'm looking for a way to have one be alive again.

Reincarnation is not an option, I was thinking, is there any Fey or something that I could justify wondering around the forest that has maybe a spell like or would make sense to have cleric levels?

Or is there a Druid spell besides Last Breath and Reincarnation that takes away that nasty status effect "Dead"?

Bronk
2014-08-01, 01:36 PM
Perhaps a nymph with a 'Staff of Life'?

Not sure why reincarnation isn't viable, but the nymph could cast that with her own spellcasting.

Edit: Not a fey, but perhaps a passing lammasu?

jordan.k93
2014-08-01, 01:39 PM
Perhaps a nymph with a 'Staff of Life'?

Not sure why reincarnation isn't viable, but the nymph could cast that with her own spellcasting.

Need race to stay the same.

Bronk
2014-08-01, 01:46 PM
Need race to stay the same.

If you're the DM, maximize spell, roll a 100, choose the race yourself? At least, that's how you could justify it if they care why the NPC came back as a different member of their same race and not a different race.

Perhaps he died at the base of a cleric dryad?

Maybe he made a deal with a Verdant Prince?

(Also, the lammasu from above)

Edit: Oh, or maybe he was wearing a 'misleading necklace' and they just thought he was dead. When they look around, the body is gone... and was never there in the first place!

MrBright01
2014-08-01, 02:03 PM
I'm looking for an interesting plot twist, but I atleast want some kind of reasoning behind it, basically, a pretty rough encounter went bad, a PC and NPC went down and bit the big one, I'm looking for a way to have one be alive again.

Reincarnation is not an option, I was thinking, is there any Fey or something that I could justify wondering around the forest that has maybe a spell like or would make sense to have cleric levels?

Or is there a Druid spell besides Last Breath and Reincarnation that takes away that nasty status effect "Dead"?

How did they die? The where and how can make a huge difference in the reason.

Could also have a fay who watched the battle, hidden, and was so smitten with their (bravery/charm/lack of charisma) that they lead the players to a Tree of Life, whose fruit can resurrect a person, and bears but one fruit every hundred years. They have watched this fruit for years, and have found the dead PC to be worthy.

Could also have the fey be a fey ghost who guides the spirit of the fallen player back to their body, claim it is not their time, and so on.

Maybe the Fey was once a great sorcerer/wizard and traveled the world, and came home to rest when they neared the end of their time in this world. They have one final charge in a (X of Resurrection) or something, and choose to use it on the player.

Or the fey has a cursed staff, and was bound to use the changes on good people to break the curse and be allowed to go home.

Honestly, it sounds like you are trying to rule-ify something that comes down to "DM Says." I suspect the players will have more then the usual amount of suspension of disbelief needed for whatever you choose to work.

Bronk
2014-08-01, 02:21 PM
Honestly, it sounds like you are trying to rule-ify something that comes down to "DM Says." I suspect the players will have more then the usual amount of suspension of disbelief needed for whatever you choose to work.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Oh, also, gold and silver dragons can choose to learn cleric spells for their spells known, a powerful enough caster (age, or age plus sorcerer levels) would be able to help as well.

eggynack
2014-08-01, 02:53 PM
Well, if you're willing to go a bit obscure with things, you could always use animate with the spirit (CV, 52) for a movanic deva (FF, 57), because those fellows have raise dead on their list. Works well enough.