View Full Version : Guardians of the Galaxy

mr_odd
2014-08-01, 01:04 PM
In honor of the movie's release, how would you make the Guardians of the Galaxy in 3.5?

Khedrac
2014-08-01, 01:32 PM
I found it very entertaining, but this really should be in the Media Discussions forum as there is nothing relating to 3.0/3.5/PF/D20 in it.

torrasque666
2014-08-01, 01:39 PM
I found it very entertaining, but this really should be in the Media Discussions forum as there is nothing relating to 3.0/3.5/PF/D20 in it.

Much like the "Anime Character" and "Video Game Character" or any other "How would I make [INSERT CHARACTER HERE]" thread?

They're asking how to use D&D 3.5 to make someone(or in this case, a group of someones), thus it has all the right to be here.

mr_odd
2014-08-01, 02:06 PM
I'm thinking Star Lord would be a duskblade, and Gamora and Drax be different martial combat classes. But I can't pin down Rocket or Groot

FabulousFizban
2014-08-01, 02:07 PM
drax: barbarian
gamora: monk
Rocket: gunslinger
starlord: bard?
groot: I am Groot

CyberThread
2014-08-01, 02:14 PM
drax: half-giant psychic warrior
gamora: Elf SwordSage
Rocket: Heryoiki gunslinger
starlord: Human Bard
groot: Volodni crusader

Shinken
2014-08-01, 03:04 PM
I haven't seen the movie yet, but based on the comic books:

Starlord - Factotum
Draxx - Warblade
Gamora - Warblade/Swordsage
Groot - Barbarian
Rocket - Gunslinger
Bug - Swordsage
Mantis - Psion (Seer)/Monk/Psionic Fist
Kosmo - Psino (Telepath)

Thanatosia
2014-08-01, 03:25 PM
Groot seems pretty clearly a treant to me.

Oddman80
2014-08-01, 03:52 PM
Groot = Woodling Warshaper

Khedrac
2014-08-01, 04:28 PM
Funny, I was sure that when I read it before is said "how would you rate Guardians ..." - I must be going old.

Anyway not knowing Pathfinder very well I am going to disagree on Rocket - he's an Artificer!

1. He likes making things (preferably ones that go "bang").
2. He is clearly the brains of the group...

lytokk
2014-08-04, 10:18 AM
Funny, I was sure that when I read it before is said "how would you rate Guardians ..." - I must be going old.

Anyway not knowing Pathfinder very well I am going to disagree on Rocket - he's an Artificer!

1. He likes making things (preferably ones that go "bang").
2. He is clearly the brains of the group...

Having seen the movie and only on having seen the movie, I'd have to second rocket being an artificer. Granted, he likes his guns, but he seems to be able to quickly put together something out of random materials. Definitely artificer

Groot, Warforged Druid with the Ironwood Body feat moving into warshaper. I think that fits him.

Starlord, bard. It fits him so well.

Gamora, either warblade or swordsage. She seems to be more fighty than sneaky, so I'd think warblade.

Drax, well, any fighting class would work well with him. Half-giant would work for the race.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-08-04, 12:22 PM
Starlord, bard. It fits him so well.Coming from another person who has yet to read the comics: seconded.

Pretty sure his bardic skill of choice is Perform (Pelvic Sorcery). :smallcool:

Sith_Happens
2014-08-04, 03:19 PM
drax: barbarian
gamora: monk
Rocket: gunslinger
starlord: bard?

Heh.:smallamused:

PsyBomb
2014-08-04, 03:44 PM
From only having seen the movie:

3.5:
Starlord: I could see this being a Factotum, or MAYBE a Bard.
Rocket: Easily an Artificer
Groot: Woodling Warshaper.
Gamorra: a toughie, but from what I saw I'd go for a Swordsage, focus on Setting Sun and Shadow Blade
Drax: Barbarian (duh)

PF:
Starlord: Archaeologist Bard
Rocket: Gunsliger (Musketeer)
Groot: Synthesist+First-World Summoner (I know that doesn't actually work in game, but it fits)
Gamorra: Ninja
Drax: Barbarian

torrasque666
2014-08-04, 03:48 PM
In Pathfinder at least, Groot would be a Ghoran. Because living tree-man.

Kudaku
2014-08-04, 03:51 PM
Rocket likes fiddling with things, but just about everything he fiddles with winds up exploding - usually on purpose. That sounds like an alchemist to me. :smallsmile:

supersonic29
2014-08-04, 04:29 PM
Yeah easiest to name is certainly that Rocket would be an anthropomorphic raccoon gunslinger, maybe with some skill focuses on devices.

Yue Ryong
2014-08-07, 06:55 AM
...I think I can safely say that Starlord has Bardic Fascinate. "Dance Off."

grarrrg
2014-08-07, 09:29 AM
Rocket:
For those PF fans, the Gunslingers archetypes Gun Scavenger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/archetypes/paizo---gunslinger-archetypes/gun-scavenger-gunslinger-archetype) and Experimental Gunsmith (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/gnome/experimental-gunsmith-gunslinger-gnome) ARE compatible with each other.
You'll either have to refluff the Gnome into an anthropomorphic raccoon, or get Experimental approved for non-Gnome races...

Also, no reason he couldn't multi-class Artificier with another class.

This speaks for itself
*rimshot*

KingAtomsk
2014-08-07, 03:21 PM
Rocket is clearly an Artificer. Groot could maybe be built as a re-fluffed Landforged Walker, or just as a Treant. Either way, throw some Warshaper in there