PDA

View Full Version : No Love for the Scourge?

Zombulian
2014-08-01, 02:11 PM
Alright folks. Now, I could be wrong, but I just realized something. I've seen mention of Crescent Knives all over the forums in my time here, and I personally love them. A weapon that lets you make two attacks with every swing? Sneak Attack central!
But I was just reading the article that Crescent Knives are from again, and I looked at the weapon "The Scourge." At first glance it just looks like something someone would self-flagellate with. But when I read the actual entry I was shocked. It's a one-handed weapon that makes three (count em, three) attacks with every swing.
I was just wondering how this weapon seemed to get passed over, because I really see no mention of it. But seriously? Three attacks guys. It's worth the Oversized TWF.
I do note however, that since it is one-handed you can't finesse it. But I still think it's great. Are there any other reasons why people don't talk about this weapon all the time?

RolandDeschain
2014-08-01, 02:14 PM
What's the source on these weapons?

Larkas
2014-08-01, 02:15 PM
Maybe because we've never heard of them? :smallbiggrin: They seem interesting! Where are they from?

Zombulian
2014-08-01, 02:18 PM
Dragon Magazine #275. The Article is called "The Right Tool for the Job" and has a bunch of neat exotic weapons.

RolandDeschain
2014-08-01, 02:21 PM
I've never played at a table where Dragon material was allowed...so, there's that. *shrugs*

GutterFace
2014-08-01, 02:27 PM
Interesting i've seen a lot of these re-printed elsewhere in supplemental books. but never the scourge or crescent knife....probably for obvious reasons.
but then again martial classes need all the help they can get...

Dual Scourges with Pounce is pretty wonky but in good fun.

if a DM/table allows them go for it! a single enchant would be amazing for 3 times per attack at your highest bonus.

Zombulian
2014-08-01, 02:31 PM
Interesting i've seen a lot of these re-printed elsewhere in supplemental books. but never the scourge or crescent knife....probably for obvious reasons.
but then again martial classes need all the help they can get...

Dual Scourges with Pounce is pretty wonky but in good fun.

if a DM/table allows them go for it! a single enchant would be amazing for 3 times per attack at your highest bonus.

Yeah seriously it's pretty dumb. Sneak Attacking with Craven and TWF with 2 Scourges could get insane. Maybe pick up Flay Foe from Champions of Ruin too.

GutterFace
2014-08-01, 02:37 PM
if anything your staggering strikes would have to succeed at some point.

i would say this is probably a DM should allow them to keep you on pace damage wise at a table.

heck i want to make a TWF fighter now with scourges and scourge faces off.

Zombulian
2014-08-01, 02:50 PM
if anything your staggering strikes would have to succeed at some point.

i would say this is probably a DM should allow them to keep you on pace damage wise at a table.

heck i want to make a TWF fighter now with scourges and scourge faces off.

Yeah it's tough man. I came across this while making a Whip user build. Do you know how hard it is to continue trying to make a build with such a sub-par weapon after seeing this thing?

GutterFace
2014-08-01, 02:59 PM
Agreed!

my old Lasher build. Garbage now....

were were you with this gem of information a few months ago :(

CryptbornAkryea
2014-08-01, 05:48 PM
Channeled Vampiric Touch...
Channeled Charnel Touch...

So much tasty fun!

Ratatoskir
2014-08-01, 06:04 PM
I believe the scourge was reprinted in Complete Warrior as a rather sub-par exotic weapon, so that's probably why you don't see it.

Edit: Scourge 20 gp 1d6(s) 1d8(m) ×2 2 lb. Slashing, +2 to disarm

CryptbornAkryea
2014-08-01, 06:23 PM
I'm going to choose to disbelieve the reprint in this instance, lol

Zombulian
2014-08-01, 07:28 PM
I believe the scourge was reprinted in Complete Warrior as a rather sub-par exotic weapon, so that's probably why you don't see it.

Edit: Scourge 20 gp 1d6(s) 1d8(m) ×2 2 lb. Slashing, +2 to disarm

Oh EWWWWWW

Chronos
2014-08-01, 08:36 PM
Wait, that's an exotic? Why on Earth would anyone ever take the feat for that? It's not even as good as a longsword!

GutterFace
2014-08-01, 08:59 PM
Oh EWWWWWW

today our dreams were dashed on the rocks of errata

but we still have the crescent blade

georgie_leech
2014-08-01, 09:31 PM
Wait, that's an exotic? Why on Earth would anyone ever take the feat for that? It's not even as good as a longsword!

Because Disarm is OP. It's so OP that they had to make it useless on pretty much everything in the Monster Manuals and casters everywhere.

Ratatoskir
2014-08-01, 10:19 PM
Because Disarm is OP. It's so OP that they had to make it useless on pretty much everything in the Monster Manuals and casters everywhere.

Woah woah woah. Clearly you ready an action to disarm the gnomish quickrazor the moment that caster pops it out.

nedz
2014-08-02, 05:06 AM

But casters without arms can't cast spells with Somatic components — Wait, Disarm doesn't do that ?