PDA

View Full Version : Worth More Than Zero (PEACH)

Vaynor
2007-03-03, 10:32 PM
I upgraded a few cantrips to full-fledged level one spells, are they balanced?

Acid Splash, Greater
Conjuration (Creation) [Acid]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One missile of acid
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You fire a small globe of acid at the target, dealing 1d3 splash damage, and every recurring round for 1d4 rounds. Damage is stopped if the square is empty.

Daze, Greater
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Target: One humanoid creature of 4+1/level HD or less
Duration: 1 round
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

As Daze, except as noted above.

Light, Greater
Evocation [Light]
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Drd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, M/DF
Range: Touch
Target: Object touched
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)

This spell causes an object to glow like a torch, shedding bright light in a 30-foot radius (and dim light for an additional 30 feet) from the point you touch. The effect is immobile, but it can be cast on a movable object. Light taken into an area of magical darkness does not function.

A light spell (one with the light descriptor) counters and dispels a darkness spell (one with the darkness descriptor) of an equal or lower level.

Arcane Material Component
A firefly or a piece of phosphorescent moss.

Ray of Frost, Greater
Evocation [Cold]
Effect: Ray
Saving Throw: None (Fort; see text)

A ray of freezing ice projects from your pointing finger. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray to deal damage to a target. The ray deals 1d6 points of cold damage. The target is frozen and takes 1d6 damage for two rounds if the target fails a Fort save.

Disrupt Undead, Greater
Necromancy
Effect: Ray

You direct a ray of positive energy. You must make a ranged touch attack to hit, and if the ray hits an undead creature, it deals 1d6+1/level points of damage to it, and it jumps to the nearest undead target (one-half normal range).

Lesser Telekinesis
Transmutation
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Target: One nonmagical, unattended object weighing up to 30+1/level lb.
Duration: Concentration

You point your finger at an object and can lift it and move it at will from a distance. As a move action, you can propel the object as far as 30 feet in any direction, though the spell ends if the distance between you and the object ever exceeds the spell’s range.

So, that's it. :smallbiggrin:

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-03, 10:56 PM
Comments...

Acid Splash looks fine, and so do Greater Light and Lesser Telekinesis. Greater Disrupt Undead looks a little weak, actually... You could probably go ahead and just add that it jumps to the closest Undead for the same damage without the Wisdom check.

Greater Daze is mega broken. Combined with Heighten Spell to ensure the target has a smaller chance to succeed means that a 20th level Wizard could daze a 20th level Fighter for 11 rounds with a fairly high chance of success. Drop the duration to 1 round and make it 4+1/2 levels HD. That way it's still useful, but not so useful that everybody wants it.

For Greater Ray of Frost, I'd drop the slowed movement and just make it 1d6 damage, plus another 1d6 for two rounds thereafter if the target fails their save. No GM is going to want to track 1d3 damage for 5-9 rounds.

Vaynor
2007-03-03, 11:07 PM
Comments...

Acid Splash looks fine, and so do Greater Light and Lesser Telekinesis. Greater Disrupt Undead looks a little weak, actually... You could probably go ahead and just add that it jumps to the closest Undead for the same damage without the Wisdom check.

Greater Daze is mega broken. Combined with Heighten Spell to ensure the target has a smaller chance to succeed means that a 20th level Wizard could daze a 20th level Fighter for 11 rounds with a fairly high chance of success. Drop the duration to 1 round and make it 4+1/2 levels HD. That way it's still useful, but not so useful that everybody wants it.

For Greater Ray of Frost, I'd drop the slowed movement and just make it 1d6 damage, plus another 1d6 for two rounds thereafter if the target fails their save. No GM is going to want to track 1d3 damage for 5-9 rounds.

Ok, thanks. Sounds like a good idea, and yah, I guess I kinda broke Daze. :smallwink:

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-03, 11:32 PM
Just a bit. Nice spells otherwise, though. They go in the book of things to give low-level players as loot on scrolls.

Vaynor
2007-03-03, 11:38 PM
Just a bit. Nice spells otherwise, though. They go in the book of things to give low-level players as loot on scrolls.

Yah, that's kinda what I planned them for. I noticed the cantrips were kinda sucky, but the level one spells kinda weren't as good either. So I made an upgrade! :smallbiggrin:

alchemy.freak
2007-03-04, 12:12 AM
do you have a greater presdigitation? (is that how you spell it, i really have no idea)

I_Got_This_Name
2007-03-04, 03:17 AM
Greater Prestidigitation is a 7th level spell labeled Limited Wish.