PDA

View Full Version : [EMPIRE!] The Moonshroud Festival [Round 21]

Rizban
2014-08-01, 04:07 PM
The Imperium capital of Anaphorica in Salteire was a shining beacon by day, a shimmering jewel by night. However, during the two week long Moonshroud Festival, the city became a multicolored celebration in the exuberance of life. Held once every two years, Moonshroud was the date by which Imperium calendars are measured, the time when the small moon, Wu Jingshen, is hidden behind the silver light of Heng'e, the larger of the two moons.
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/334/3/2/sunset_view_by_annmariebone-d6w8ftr.jpg

The canals of the city are filled with floating paper lanterns, and the skies over the great lake around which the city is built are filled with flying paper lanterns at each sunset. People dance in the squares to joyous music, and vendors sell all manner of meats on sticks.

The Chamber of Angels built atop a tall stone spire glitters like a finely cut sapphire set in gold and silver. Angels come and go from the many balconies as they attend to the various peoples at the Festival, but there seems to be no way to the top without wings.http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/213/4/6/crystal_waterfalls_by_annaarmona-d7t7db9.jpg

In the central square before a grand cathedral, a large platform had been erected with a table for the Qzare, several high-ranking government officials, and the Qzare's personal guests. Musicians, dancers and magicians were occasionally let on to the platform to perform for them as they enjoyed the various exotic courses they were served under the clear night sky. The night was yet young, and a lot could yet happen.

RandoMan
2014-08-02, 09:27 AM
High King Konhagen Ringmaker and his wife High Queen Kaitlind Gemgrinder arrived in Anaphorica with only a small retinue of lowcaste servants and a handful of guards who had been assigned to protect them as they traveled on the surfacer roads. The guards peeled away as the royal couple entered the city and the servants seemed to lessen in density as they went off to prepare the High King and High Queen's accommodations for the Festival and unpack the small amounts of luggage brought along with them.

The two noble Dwarves awaited direction or introduction as they entered the Festival, looking about at the high spired Chamber of Angels with discomfort. A sky with no roof was nearly bad enough, but to fly through it, and to build higher towards that which had no roof was unthinkable.

Rizban
2014-08-02, 12:47 PM
Patriarch Dignatis approaches the Dwarven royalty with the traditional dwarven salute. A younger man, it is apparent that he has only recently become one of the Patriarchs.

"I bid you honor and glory, High King Ringmaker!" Turning towards his wife the queen, "Truly though, I had not expected to host a goddess tonight. I fear our city inadequate for your presence. Truly, sire, you are a blessed man."

WaylanderX
2014-08-02, 03:17 PM
Seated upon mantid and wurm mounts alike, a small Huroshan delegation entered Anaphorica. As was traditional in the Huroshan culture, they came fully armed. Leading them was the prince of Hurosha, Rove Earthguard. He marveled at the chance to do precious research to this, in his eyes, strange celebration. Hurosha used a very different calendar than the Salterri did, based on the sun instead of the moon. Following Rove rode the Arche of the Living Earth, Crëag, seated upon his shintouite plated wurm, together with a continent of Menhîrin guards. Appearently he recently took a liking to call his beast "Brown Banana" for some reason, probably after a fool urged the Menhîrin commander to give the beast a name. Menhîrin weren't known for their creativity, that much was clear.
His other companion, Orion Airguard, the Arch of the Eastern Skies, seemed to find the whole think hilarious beyond belief. He had to be dragged upon his mantid, his eyes tearing with laughter, his muscles twitching beyond his control. Now he rode next to Rove, red-faced with shame. Rove nodded his head. Although capable, shockingly often Huroshans had strange quirks when among themselves. Not that he hated it, it actually was rather refreshing to have some people to cassually talk to after dealing with the stiff formality that was foreign diplomacy.

Rove's eye fell upon the spire that was known as the Chamber of Angels. Such an interesting structure... He should ask permission to go up there later. He smiled. Having wings had its benefits now and then.

Scanning the city, he dispatched some of his Cloudiz servants to seek suitable occomodations. As the servants flew over the city, mingling with the angels, he trodded through the city in search of his host. The priests adhering to the faith of Ascension. Being so different from Ashmarism, he hoped to bring home some new insights about this quite alien religion.

Aedilred
2014-08-02, 04:07 PM
The Carmine flagship Qzare Xiu Wandao docked in Salteire, going on to disgorge a small company of horsemen who rode the rest of the way to the festival in Anaphorica. At their head was Prince Atheldynn, the king's eldest son. Now aged around forty, he retained a slightly youthful appearance, testament to the long-lived heritage from each side of his family: an ancestry which accounted for his features' being slightly more rounded than most nobles of his people, his slightly webbed fingers, and a couple of other minor physiological details. He had forgone much of the panoply of royalty in favour of a more elegant and form-fitting robe, but was still dressed in finest silks, topped with a fur cloak.

He looked up at the Chamber of Angels, recalling from his father's stories that it was at a previous Moonshroud festival - around the time of his birth, in fact - that the Priory's Ascended had first appeared. He wondered if any similar surprises were in store tonight.

DurkBlanston
2014-08-02, 04:38 PM
Protector of Wyrmar Gaius Caercia and his wife, the Governess of Wyrmar Xiu-Hen Aru arrived on horseback to Salteire's Anaphorica, having ridden through the gentle hills and fields of Campestrus Pratum, admiring the beauty of the land the Minotines and native humans had long struggled over. The two had grown close over their years of marriage and child rearing and now, in their thirties, the couple had been more than happy to accept Gaius' brothers request to attend the Moonshroud Festival in Salteire. The Caercian man was dressed in a light yellow robe, accented with purple stitching, his wife dressed in fine flax dyed purple and held together with prominent silver thread.

Upon arriving in the city, the two Caercian representatives dismounted and made their way to the festival itself, marveling at the engineering of the Salteire people and the beautiful paper lanterns as they floated about over the lake.

RandoMan
2014-08-02, 07:24 PM
Patriarch Dignatis approaches the Dwarven royalty with the traditional dwarven salute. A younger man, it is apparent that he has only recently become one of the Patriarchs.

"I bid you honor and glory, High King Ringmaker!" Turning towards his wife the queen, "Truly though, I had not expected to host a goddess tonight. I fear our city inadequate for your presence. Truly, sire, you are a blessed man."

The High Queen chuckled politely and the High King nodded, after glancing at his wife to ensure she was not offended.

"You flatter me young man," Kaitlind said with a smile.

"And me as well," Konhagen added, glancing again at his wife and standing a bit straighter when he saw her smiling over at him.

"Tell me young man, we of Mularuhm are only passingly familiar with the religion of our surface compatriots, what is it this festival represents?"

Rizban
2014-08-03, 12:27 AM
Seated upon mantid and wurm mounts alike, a small Huroshan delegation entered Anaphorica. As was traditional in the Huroshan culture, they came fully armed. Leading them was the prince of Hurosha, Rove Earthguard. He marveled at the chance to do precious research to this, in his eyes, strange celebration. Hurosha used a very different calendar than the Salterri did, based on the sun instead of the moon. Following Rove rode the Arche of the Living Earth, Crëag, seated upon his shintouite plated wurm, together with a continent of Menhîrin guards. Appearently he recently took a liking to call his beast "Brown Banana" for some reason, probably after a fool urged the Menhîrin commander to give the beast a name. Menhîrin weren't known for their creativity, that much was clear.
His other companion, Orion Airguard, the Arch of the Eastern Skies, seemed to find the whole think hilarious beyond belief. He had to be dragged upon his mantid, his eyes tearing with laughter, his muscles twitching beyond his control. Now he rode next to Rove, red-faced with shame. Rove nodded his head. Although capable, shockingly often Huroshans had strange quirks when among themselves. Not that he hated it, it actually was rather refreshing to have some people to cassually talk to after dealing with the stiff formality that was foreign diplomacy.

Rove's eye fell upon the spire that was known as the Chamber of Angels. Such an interesting structure... He should ask permission to go up there later. He smiled. Having wings had its benefits now and then.

Scanning the city, he dispatched some of his Cloudiz servants to seek suitable occomodations. As the servants flew over the city, mingling with the angels, he trodded through the city in search of his host. The priests adhering to the faith of Ascension. Being so different from Ashmarism, he hoped to bring home some new insights about this quite alien religion.Matriarch Militiae, though not the same as the one wedded to the Jarrow prince, approaches the Huroshan delegation. Wearing simple, tight fitting robes, she moves with an elegance earned only through combat. Her movements are precise and controlled, and her demeanor proud. Her pale skin bespeaks of one who spends little time in the sun, but the hardness in her eyes insists that she has experience. Though you would place her as maybe 16 based on her appearance, she seems much older when she speaks.

"Greetings, Huroshans. Come and partake in the festivities.

One warning though, do not draw your weapons unless you intend to use them. During Moonshroud, to draw a weapon is to invoke the Jiànyàn, or trial by combat. It is an open invitation to any other warrior within sight to prove his worth immediately in strength of arm. Though not usually to the death, accidents have been known to happen."
She pauses for a moment before continuing with a smirk.
"I have won three such trials today thus far."

The Carmine flagship Qzare Xiu Wandao docked in Salteire, going on to disgorge a small company of horsemen who rode the rest of the way to the festival in Anaphorica. At their head was Prince Atheldynn, the king's eldest son. Now aged around forty, he retained a slightly youthful appearance, testament to the long-lived heritage from each side of his family: an ancestry which accounted for his features' being slightly more rounded than most nobles of his people, his slightly webbed fingers, and a couple of other minor physiological details. He had forgone much of the panoply of royalty in favour of a more elegant and form-fitting robe, but was still dressed in finest silks, topped with a fur cloak.

He looked up at the Chamber of Angels, recalling from his father's stories that it was at a previous Moonshroud festival - around the time of his birth, in fact - that the Priory's Ascended had first appeared. He wondered if any similar surprises were in store tonight.
The rather aged Patriarch Fidel approaches the Jarrow party shortly after they enter the city. His robes hang off him almost as loosely as the skin about his neck. Though he walks with a cane a slight stoop, you wonder how he supports himself at all.

"Greetings, young prince! I am Fidel. I knew you father, once upon a time. Alas my memory is not what it was, and I can't quite place who he is. The king od Jarrland and those other places, I know that much for certain. Still, it's always good to see a friend and ally, especially in times such as these. I haven't seen a festival this grand since... well, since ever. Or rather, I don't think I have. Truthfully, I'm not real sure on that one. It is certainly the grandest I remember seeing. Well, I do remember one such Moonshroud, back when I was a kid about your age or a little younger. There was this girl you see, quite the lovely lass, you know. Oh, I remember that Moonshroud, I do. Oh, but you don't want to listen to me"

He seems to have become slightly embarrassed by his rambling.

Protector of Wyrmar Gaius Caercia and his wife, the Governess of Wyrmar Xiu-Hen Aru arrived on horseback to Salteire's Anaphorica, having ridden through the gentle hills and fields of Campestrus Pratum, admiring the beauty of the land the Minotines and native humans had long struggled over. The two had grown close over their years of marriage and child rearing and now, in their thirties, the couple had been more than happy to accept Gaius' brothers request to attend the Moonshroud Festival in Salteire. The Caercian man was dressed in a light yellow robe, accented with purple stitching, his wife dressed in fine flax dyed purple and held together with prominent silver thread.

Upon arriving in the city, the two Caercian representatives dismounted and made their way to the festival itself, marveling at the engineering of the Salteire people and the beautiful paper lanterns as they floated about over the lake.A man in his 40s dressed in fine, pale green robes approaches the couple from Wyrmar. Witha slightly overdone flourish, he bows to the couple.

"Welcome! Welcome! I am Patriarch Procinctus, here to welcome you to Anaphorica. It is truly a pleasure to meet such a refined noble couple such as yourself. I do hope we can make your stay in our fair city comfortable and exciting! Come now, anything you need, just let me know. Just remember to take your time and enjoy the festivities!"

The High Queen chuckled politely and the High King nodded, after glancing at his wife to ensure she was not offended.

"You flatter me young man," Kaitlind said with a smile.

"And me as well," Konhagen added, glancing again at his wife and standing a bit straighter when he saw her smiling over at him.

"Tell me young man, we of Mularuhm are only passingly familiar with the religion of our surface compatriots, what is it this festival represents?"Dignatis smiles.

"It is said that the Imperium was founded at the time of Moonshroud, though that is just a legend in the ancient past. Truthfully, I don't think the festival means anything in the way you mean it, at least not officially. Unofficially, it is a time of rebirth and revelry, a time to enjoy life and celebrate the future, a time said to bring luck and good will to those who seek it. There are some religious ordinances at this time, but more because it's just a good time to have them than due to any particular significance. More than anything, it's a time to cast away your cares for a few days and just enjoy being alive, a time to refresh yourself from the dreary cares and responsibilities of the world. It is a celebration of celebration."

He waves a hand through the air as if encompassing the whole city.

"And all people of good cheer and right character take part. To abstain would be like... choosing not to breathe because you want to rest your lungs."

DurkBlanston
2014-08-03, 03:48 PM
A man in his 40s dressed in fine, pale green robes approaches the couple from Wyrmar. Witha slightly overdone flourish, he bows to the couple.

"Welcome! Welcome! I am Patriarch Procinctus, here to welcome you to Anaphorica. It is truly a pleasure to meet such a refined noble couple such as yourself. I do hope we can make your stay in our fair city comfortable and exciting! Come now, anything you need, just let me know. Just remember to take your time and enjoy the festivities!"

"Thank you Patriarch," Protector Gaius nodded his head, "We shall certainly seek to do so."

"Tell me Patriarch," the Governess Aru said as they walked, "How fares the Priory? Ever since that nasty Civil War the Lord Protector has all but forbidden travel trough any Priory lands but Campestrus Pratum, and then only to reach Carmine lands. I've always enjoyed rides through your lands there, but seeing the capital is a true pleasure. I hope all fares as well as it seems to?"

RandoMan
2014-08-03, 03:55 PM
Dignatis smiles.

"It is said that the Imperium was founded at the time of Moonshroud, though that is just a legend in the ancient past. Truthfully, I don't think the festival means anything in the way you mean it, at least not officially. Unofficially, it is a time of rebirth and revelry, a time to enjoy life and celebrate the future, a time said to bring luck and good will to those who seek it. There are some religious ordinances at this time, but more because it's just a good time to have them than due to any particular significance. More than anything, it's a time to cast away your cares for a few days and just enjoy being alive, a time to refresh yourself from the dreary cares and responsibilities of the world. It is a celebration of celebration."

He waves a hand through the air as if encompassing the whole city.

"And all people of good cheer and right character take part. To abstain would be like... choosing not to breathe because you want to rest your lungs."

"A celebration without reason is a strange thing. At least, for a Dwarf. We prefer to coincide our celebrations with the events worthy of historic marking."

"When I was still a Rocksplitter we always looked forward to the Vundil Fiestag. It was-"

Noticing his wife giving him a hard glare Konhagen stopped speaking.

"The Vundil Fiestag is a celebration honoring the Paragon Oric Ringmaker, first King of Mularuhm on the day he united the clans as one people and began the great age of Mularuhm."

Rizban
2014-08-04, 03:52 AM
"Thank you Patriarch," Protector Gaius nodded his head, "We shall certainly seek to do so."

"Tell me Patriarch," the Governess Aru said as they walked, "How fares the Priory? Ever since that nasty Civil War the Lord Protector has all but forbidden travel trough any Priory lands but Campestrus Pratum, and then only to reach Carmine lands. I've always enjoyed rides through your lands there, but seeing the capital is a true pleasure. I hope all fares as well as it seems to?""But of course. Things have only improved in recent years. True, relations are strained with some of our neighbors, but trade continues unabated between ourselves and the rest of the Imperium... for the most part. We do have quite the shortage of truly exquisite horses, but no one in the Imperium has been too stingy with trade." He gives you a wink and a sly grin when making that last comment.
"We've developed new friendships with some of the rulers of other nations outside of the Imperium, strengthened friendships and alliances with others, as well as establishing contact and trade with some of the remnants of the ancient Imperium in the distant west. These are truly exciting times! I can honestly say that I am proud to be Salterri in this day and age."

"A celebration without reason is a strange thing. At least, for a Dwarf. We prefer to coincide our celebrations with the events worthy of historic marking."

"When I was still a Rocksplitter we always looked forward to the Vundil Fiestag. It was-"

Noticing his wife giving him a hard glare Konhagen stopped speaking.

"The Vundil Fiestag is a celebration honoring the Paragon Oric Ringmaker, first King of Mularuhm on the day he united the clans as one people and began the great age of Mularuhm."

Dignatis' cheeks turn a bit pink as he rushes to apologize.

"Forgive me, I have done a terrible job at explaining and led you to the wrong conclusion. It's not a celebration of nothing but rather a celebration of everything. You see, the Imperium has a very long history, and Moonshroud has been an important date for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

There are so many things that this festival commemorates that it's hard to keep track of them all. The Imperial historians keep track of all of that, or rather specialists within their ranks keep track of different parts of it. They erect a number of small shrines and commemorative displays throughout the city for each of the major events in our history. Each stop tells the story of some great event that occurred during or near Moonshroud, and workers there are well versed in the history of the event. Those interested in such things are more than welcome to visit them to learn more. In fact, I believe I can find someone better versed in these matters that I to give you the chronological tour if you're interested."

lt_murgen
2014-08-04, 09:02 AM
Councilman John LaFitte travelled by ship to Diamondhead, and made the rest of the trip by Kingbird. With him travelled one guard and one groom. If it bothered him that the guard and groom were for the mounts and not for him, he did not show it.

He was a short, muscular man with with olive skin, close cropped black hair, and long sideburns. His mustache trailed down to his chest, woven and beaded with precious gems and mithril thread. He wore a shirt of sheer Frozzkov silk under his opulent vest. Breeches of fine linen were tucked into boots that reached above his knee. He removed his Islander ghat, a woven, wide brimmed, tall coned hat with a flat top. This one was elegantly done in a herringbone weave with a wide feathered band about it. Tucked in his wide belt were the traditional Islanded Khukri.

He left his travelling companions behind and moved into the center of the festivities alone. He noted the paper lanterns, so similar to those used by the Islanders to memorialize those lost at sea. A waste of coin, in his opinion, but matters of faith were largely foreign to him. Which, he mused privately, is why the regent sent him.

Rizban
2014-08-04, 02:33 PM
Councilman John LaFitte travelled by ship to Diamondhead, and made the rest of the trip by Kingbird. With him travelled one guard and one groom. If it bothered him that the guard and groom were for the mounts and not for him, he did not show it.

He was a short, muscular man with with olive skin, close cropped black hair, and long sideburns. His mustache trailed down to his chest, woven and beaded with precious gems and mithril thread. He wore a shirt of sheer Frozzkov silk under his opulent vest. Breeches of fine linen were tucked into boots that reached above his knee. He removed his Islander ghat, a woven, wide brimmed, tall coned hat with a flat top. This one was elegantly done in a herringbone weave with a wide feathered band about it. Tucked in his wide belt were the traditional Islanded Khukri.

He left his travelling companions behind and moved into the center of the festivities alone. He noted the paper lanterns, so similar to those used by the Islanders to memorialize those lost at sea. A waste of coin, in his opinion, but matters of faith were largely foreign to him. Which, he mused privately, is why the regent sent him.A man claps John on the shoulder as he starts to pass him by.

"Ho there! S'not of'n we get someone what hails from your lands, foreigner. Glad they opened the borders for this shindig!"

He takes a swing from a bottle and then presses it toward John, offering him a swig of the contents. The bottle appears to be unlabeled.

RandoMan
2014-08-04, 08:49 PM
Dignatis' cheeks turn a bit pink as he rushes to apologize.

"Forgive me, I have done a terrible job at explaining and led you to the wrong conclusion. It's not a celebration of nothing but rather a celebration of everything. You see, the Imperium has a very long history, and Moonshroud has been an important date for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

There are so many things that this festival commemorates that it's hard to keep track of them all. The Imperial historians keep track of all of that, or rather specialists within their ranks keep track of different parts of it. They erect a number of small shrines and commemorative displays throughout the city for each of the major events in our history. Each stop tells the story of some great event that occurred during or near Moonshroud, and workers there are well versed in the history of the event. Those interested in such things are more than welcome to visit them to learn more. In fact, I believe I can find someone better versed in these matters that I to give you the chronological tour if you're interested."

"We should very much appreciate such a tour through your history," The High Queen nodded, "History is very important to be remembered and recorded in Mularuhm."

lt_murgen
2014-08-05, 07:11 AM
A man claps John on the shoulder as he starts to pass him by.

"Ho there! S'not of'n we get someone what hails from your lands, foreigner. Glad they opened the borders for this shindig!"

He takes a swing from a bottle and then presses it toward John, offering him a swig of the contents. The bottle appears to be unlabeled.

'Why, thank you!" John replies, grasping the bottle and tilting his head back, taking a dramatic swig. Of course, the whole thing was a practiced maneuver to hide his thumb from view as it blocks the flow from the bottle as it is pressed to his lips. One does not survive decades amongst theives, assassins, and pirates without being careful.

He shakes his head, handing the bottle back to the man. "Whew, that's strong stuff, great flavor! Now, my good person, can you point me to the hosts of this party? I should greet them."

WaylanderX
2014-08-05, 07:56 AM
Matriarch Militiae, though not the same as the one wedded to the Jarrow prince, approaches the Huroshan delegation. Wearing simple, tight fitting robes, she moves with an elegance earned only through combat. Her movements are precise and controlled, and her demeanor proud. Her pale skin bespeaks of one who spends little time in the sun, but the hardness in her eyes insists that she has experience. Though you would place her as maybe 16 based on her appearance, she seems much older when she speaks.

"Greetings, Huroshans. Come and partake in the festivities.

One warning though, do not draw your weapons unless you intend to use them. During Moonshroud, to draw a weapon is to invoke the Jiànyàn, or trial by combat. It is an open invitation to any other warrior within sight to prove his worth immediately in strength of arm. Though not usually to the death, accidents have been known to happen."
She pauses for a moment before continuing with a smirk.
"I have won three such trials today thus far."

For a moment, the Huroshans stood there, flabbergasted. Finally, Orion was the first to speak up.

"Sir, did you hear what I heard."

"Yep."

"That was a challenge, wasn't it?"

"I would think so, yes."

A huge grin appeared on Orion's face. A malicious sparkle appeared in his eyes while his hand floated to the hilt of his Kasumori basketsword.

"Oi, Orion! This is my prey, you already had those bandits from yesterday!"

Crëag interjected, his black crystalize body shuddering with anticipation. Orion looked at the Menhîrin sheepishly.

"You had those leader twins to bash up, you hunk o' rock. This fight is mine."

"We'll see about that, I challenge you to a game of Life, Progress, Prowess!"

"Fine!"

The two Arches faced eachother, arms outstreched. They shaked their hands while they called "LIFE, PROGRESS, PROWESS!", after which they simultaniously made sight with their hands (or crystaline stump, in Crëag's case). Afterwards, Orion called happilly throwing his fist in the air, Crëag rumbling irritated that the game wasn't played fair. Nonetheless, he took his place besides Rove, who had watched his two generals squable with great amusement. Crëag rumbled that Orion should leave something for him aswell.

Orion faced Militiae, taking his place three meters away from her.

"Ascension warrior, I hereby accept your challege. May Ashmar rule who's Prowess is most great! Remember my name, for it is the one of your defeat. Orion Airguard!"

With a large gesture, he brandished his weapon, stepping fluently into his combat stance.

"HAVE AT YOU!"

OOC: Normal duelling rules I guess? If so, here are my rolls: 10, 12, 16 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17886012&postcount=763)

DurkBlanston
2014-08-05, 08:50 AM
"But of course. Things have only improved in recent years. True, relations are strained with some of our neighbors, but trade continues unabated between ourselves and the rest of the Imperium... for the most part. We do have quite the shortage of truly exquisite horses, but no one in the Imperium has been too stingy with trade." He gives you a wink and a sly grin when making that last comment.
"We've developed new friendships with some of the rulers of other nations outside of the Imperium, strengthened friendships and alliances with others, as well as establishing contact and trade with some of the remnants of the ancient Imperium in the distant west. These are truly exciting times! I can honestly say that I am proud to be Salterri in this day and age."

Gaius raised and eyebrow. Such tales of plentiful trade were not the ones he heard back home in Palas Caercia from the merchants who still sought replacement routes for those lost by the Qzare and Lord Protector's dissolution of trade with the Priory lands. But, such was the way to put on a good show.

"Yes, I know my father once promised you horses," he acknowledged, "And perhaps if things had been better resolved between you and the Xius he would have but my brother holds no ounce of sentimentality for the Priory I'm afraid. I attribute it in large part to the close relationship between his son and that Wyrm Below Guru, cursed be the the day I introduced them, and an extended disdain for the religious encompassing and augmenting his feelings towards the Priory's actions in the recent years."

"The Lord Protector only means to support his liege and through me, his extended family," Aru added, "But his intense disdain for the religious does tend to color his views on matters in which they are more prominent."

"But we didn't come here to discuss my brother and politics," Gaius said after an awkward beat, "I don't believe I've ever had the pleasure of meeting the Priory's new Chief Heirarch and I should greatly desire to."

Aedilred
2014-08-05, 06:46 PM
The rather aged Patriarch Fidel approaches the Jarrow party shortly after they enter the city. His robes hang off him almost as loosely as the skin about his neck. Though he walks with a cane a slight stoop, you wonder how he supports himself at all.

"Greetings, young prince! I am Fidel. I knew you father, once upon a time. Alas my memory is not what it was, and I can't quite place who he is. The king od Jarrland and those other places, I know that much for certain. Still, it's always good to see a friend and ally, especially in times such as these. I haven't seen a festival this grand since... well, since ever. Or rather, I don't think I have. Truthfully, I'm not real sure on that one. It is certainly the grandest I remember seeing. Well, I do remember one such Moonshroud, back when I was a kid about your age or a little younger. There was this girl you see, quite the lovely lass, you know. Oh, I remember that Moonshroud, I do. Oh, but you don't want to listen to me"

He seems to have become slightly embarrassed by his rambling.
Atheldynn jumps down from horseback to greet Fidel, slightly unsure whether he should take offence at the insistence of the Patriarch on mentioning his youth, or just find it amusing. After all, did he not have a grown daughter of his own? Probably just senility, he concludes.

"Hail to you, Fidel. My father is indeed King of the Jarrs" - and the Venns and Sylphids - "and Proconsul Carmine. This is my first Moonshroud Festival, though I have heard the festival in 393, the year of my birth, was something special."

lt_murgen
2014-08-07, 08:45 AM
John LaFitte sees Atheldynn nearby and wanders over.

"Prince Atheldynn. I didn't expect to see you here, what with war simmering on and off across the lands around here."

Aedilred
2014-08-07, 09:21 AM
John LaFitte sees Atheldynn nearby and wanders over.

"Prince Atheldynn. I didn't expect to see you here, what with war simmering on and off across the lands around here."
Atheldynn nodded to the islander in greeting. LaFitte was still something of an unknown quantity: while it was suspected his allegiances had lain with Junior Black and the usurpers, nobody was sure if that had been political convenience or genuine conviction. His age, moreover, meant that he had likely not had any involvement in the coup itself.

"It was considered discourteous to refuse the invitation," he replied, "even if it was issued under a title we do not recognise. If my brother the true Qzare is prepared to visit Priory lands, how can his subjects refuse? Although I gather my other sister's new family have taken a harder line.

"Still, it is our hope that this celebration might help to achieve a true peace, rather than the current mere suspension of hostilities. The Festival of 393 was a great diplomatic success, which helped to ensure Jarrland remained in the Imperium, and set the foundations for the friendship between the Imperium and the Triumvirate. I understand that the Qzare is to make Rongyao an offer which will help reunite the Imperium, so let us hope that he accepts."

lt_murgen
2014-08-07, 11:39 AM
"Let's hope so. War is bad for trade and prosperity." But great for smuggling, he mentally added. "With all the militant leaders growing to your North West and East, all of your are going to need to get together, or be picked apart one by one."

"Still," he said with a sigh, "religious leaders can often be quite intractable. Its hard to negotiate with people who feel they have divine right on their side."

Aedilred
2014-08-07, 12:41 PM
"Indeed. I believe both Tailong and Rongyao are aware of the pressing need to reunite the Imperium. Unfortunately the Priory has so far refused to compromise on any of its beliefs. As you say, it is hard to argue with someone who believes they have a divine mandate, even if they are mistaken. I fear Rongyao will refuse, for his hatred for the Xiu outstrips his reason, and he will not suffer them to retain any power, even though he is in no practical position to demand it.

"Still, enough about the struggles of the Imperium. How are things in AQUA, with your religiously-inclined leader?"

Rizban
2014-08-07, 01:13 PM
((OOC: posting from phone, so apologize for shortness.))
"We should very much appreciate such a tour through your history," The High Queen nodded, "History is very important to be remembered and recorded in Mularuhm."While talking animatedly, he leads them to a display about the legendary founding of the Salterri Imperium, one that covers all three origin myths.

For a moment, the Huroshans stood there, flabbergasted. Finally, Orion was the first to speak up.

"Sir, did you hear what I heard."

"Yep."

"That was a challenge, wasn't it?"

"I would think so, yes."

A huge grin appeared on Orion's face. A malicious sparkle appeared in his eyes while his hand floated to the hilt of his Kasumori basketsword.

"Oi, Orion! This is my prey, you already had those bandits from yesterday!"

Crëag interjected, his black crystalize body shuddering with anticipation. Orion looked at the Menhîrin sheepishly.

"You had those leader twins to bash up, you hunk o' rock. This fight is mine."

"We'll see about that, I challenge you to a game of Life, Progress, Prowess!"

"Fine!"

The two Arches faced eachother, arms outstreched. They shaked their hands while they called "LIFE, PROGRESS, PROWESS!", after which they simultaniously made sight with their hands (or crystaline stump, in Crëag's case). Afterwards, Orion called happilly throwing his fist in the air, Crëag rumbling irritated that the game wasn't played fair. Nonetheless, he took his place besides Rove, who had watched his two generals squable with great amusement. Crëag rumbled that Orion should leave something for him aswell.

Orion faced Militiae, taking his place three meters away from her.

"Ascension warrior, I hereby accept your challege. May Ashmar rule who's Prowess is most great! Remember my name, for it is the one of your defeat. Orion Airguard!"

With a large gesture, he brandished his weapon, stepping fluently into his combat stance.

"HAVE AT YOU!"

OOC: Normal duelling rules I guess? If so, here are my rolls: 10, 12, 16 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17886012&postcount=763)11, 15, 9
(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17898956&postcount=768) - Militiae spins to avoid the first thrust, though the blade easily parts the fabric of the robe as it just misses her skin. Rather than draw a weapon, she strikes from her off-balanced position with her hands, unarmed, in an attempt to disarm her opponent. Her eyes are filled with glee from the moment a weapon is drawn. Truly, win or lose, she lives for the fight.

Gaius raised and eyebrow. Such tales of plentiful trade were not the ones he heard back home in Palas Caercia from the merchants who still sought replacement routes for those lost by the Qzare and Lord Protector's dissolution of trade with the Priory lands. But, such was the way to put on a good show.

"Yes, I know my father once promised you horses," he acknowledged, "And perhaps if things had been better resolved between you and the Xius he would have but my brother holds no ounce of sentimentality for the Priory I'm afraid. I attribute it in large part to the close relationship between his son and that Wyrm Below Guru, cursed be the the day I introduced them, and an extended disdain for the religious encompassing and augmenting his feelings towards the Priory's actions in the recent years."

"The Lord Protector only means to support his liege and through me, his extended family," Aru added, "But his intense disdain for the religious does tend to color his views on matters in which they are more prominent."

"But we didn't come here to discuss my brother and politics," Gaius said after an awkward beat, "I don't believe I've ever had the pleasure of meeting the Priory's new Chief Heirarch and I should greatly desire to.""Pwrhaps cooler heads will prevail. I know we have been seeking peace for quite some time..."

Atheldynn jumps down from horseback to greet Fidel, slightly unsure whether he should take offence at the insistence of the Patriarch on mentioning his youth, or just find it amusing. After all, did he not have a grown daughter of his own? Probably just senility, he concludes.

"Hail to you, Fidel. My father is indeed King of the Jarrs" - and the Venns and Sylphids - "and Proconsul Carmine. This is my first Moonshroud Festival, though I have heard the festival in 393, the year of my birth, was something special."

Fidel just nods to himself as the two other men speak. It seems he isn't sure how to respond... we're the Chief Hierarch aware of just how senile Fidel had become, it's likely he would have been replaced by now. He, however, retained just enough wisdom to remain silent and appear contemplative when he lost track of things.

lt_murgen
2014-08-07, 01:18 PM
“Oh, it’s been grand fun!” He says smiling. “You’ve got Opus and his group pushing theology and religious conversion on one side, your extended family and their allies on the other pushing trade, trade, trade. That puts me in a great position to make certain no one gets what they want when they want it.” Except my people, he added mentally. “My group tries to keep AQUA free from both theocracy and aristocracy.”J

John realized he was speaking to a prince, and looked mortified. “Honestly, I meant no offense. I’ve got nothing against kings and princes personally.” He tried to explain, “But Islanders have always backed small groups where merit and reputation brings leadership. The Quill, too, valued what the Huroshans would call prowess as a trait for leadership.”

John spoke to the old man as well, "I've got nothing against religious types, neither. But leaders should earn their positions, and not just by sprouting wings out their backs."

Rizban
2014-08-07, 01:21 PM
Fidel finally interjects.

"It's the same here in the Priory, and until this recent generation, in the whole of the Imperium as well."

lt_murgen
2014-08-07, 01:34 PM
OOC: sorry for the edit, but we are ninjaing each other...

"Exactly. Now, your Patriarch has done a hull-bangingly good job in the recent wars. Gotta respect him for that. And I'm sure he is all pious and holy and everything your religion needs. And I'm sure he's got a vision of how he'd like the world to be. All good leaders do. But we've got an old Quill saying 'Its hard to remember you were trying to drain the swamp when your up to your ass in alligators.'"

He laughed and clapped the old man on the shoulder, "Gotta watch for the 'gators, old man, and a big one's got your Patriarch by the butt right now."

Rizban
2014-08-07, 02:34 PM
"I'm not sure what you mean, sir. Everything in the Priory is going, er, swimmingly."

lt_murgen
2014-08-07, 02:51 PM
John held out one hand, "You got Serendel lands to the north and east." He held out another,"and Imperium lands to the south and west. If the Priory wants to expand, they're caught in two jaws." He snapped his hands together. "The Triumvirate, the Ashenians, Bordusii, and Alydaxians gettin in bed together, a conference for self-defense begin held by those slaving bastards to the east... mark my words old man. The days of any kind of independence is coming to an end."

Rizban
2014-08-07, 03:44 PM
Fidel just nods and smiles serenely before replying "Huh. Interesting."
His eyes dont seem to show any real comprehension though.

"But have you considered trying the roast drum lizard? I find that a good meal and open discussion settles most problems, even though they seem insurmountable."

lt_murgen
2014-08-07, 07:19 PM
John LaFitte, gambler, pirate, councilmember and all around scoundrel, threw his arm around the old man. Turning to Atheldyne he said, "Never have truer words been spoken! We should all be ruled by wise men who understand the conquering might of a good meal! Lead us to some food, my good man!"

Aedilred
2014-08-07, 07:43 PM
"A good meal certainly never goes amiss. With all this talk of the end of independence, councilman, what measures is AQUA taking to ensure its survival? There have been rumours about an arrangement with Celero?"

lt_murgen
2014-08-07, 08:07 PM
"Celero and AQUA have much in common. We are little players, surrounded by much mighter realms. Hurosha, the Triumvirate, Bourdeaux and Alydaxis. We have colonies in the islands far to our south. Regent Petrichor even managed to get his bitch of a daughter married to Celero's crown Prince!" He laughed, "my favorite rumor is that his mama wanted someone strong enough to rip his rudder right off if he didn't stop dipping it in every pond he could."

"Truth is, though, we are far too scattered to pull of any unification. The best we can do right now is share technology and sign on for mutual defence. Maybe something will come up and we can do more. I'll be against it, though. We paid too high a bride price for that marriage. It cost us oversight of the Sea of Glass. I love the Pono! They are so much fun! A couple of them are still on our council." He stopped, realizing he was rambling.

Rizban
2014-08-07, 09:03 PM
"Though I don't really see why you'd need a ship with a rudder in a pond instead of just a normal small boat, nor why you'd carry it to multiple ponds... Never having been a sailor myself... I can say with complete certainty that you'll always have a friend and ally here in Anaphorica, at least so long as Rongyao leads us. He's a good man, that one. A might stiff of neck at times, but a good man. I don't know of anyone what ever said ill of him, 'cept those that want to knock him down and rule in his place. Heck, even the Jarrow have a friend and ally in Anaphorica, despite any past differences. Why, even Xiu.. er Li Tailong himself should be joining us for the Festival soon. If that don't prove Rongyao's willingness to put aside old differences and make things right, I just couldn't say what will. We keep extending that shedding tree branch of peace, but... well, you know how things go when leaders get their rankles up and er... rankled."

SamBurke
2014-08-08, 08:12 PM
Inigo watches the events unfolding with some intense interest. "It seems odd that Xiu has not arrived yet, don't you think? It's already well into the festival... Perhaps there's something to the rumors?"

Rizban
2014-08-08, 10:27 PM
Fidel looks genuinely confused.

"I'm sorry, sir. What rumors do you mean? I do not know anything about what you mean..."

SamBurke
2014-08-08, 11:11 PM
Fidel looks genuinely confused.

"I'm sorry, sir. What rumors do you mean? I do not know anything about what you mean..."

Inigo leans in. "If you haven't heard, then relay this information to your sovereign at once. Enemies march upon your lands from two sides. War of the world has begun."

Rizban
2014-08-09, 12:58 AM
Inigo leans in. "If you haven't heard, then relay this information to your sovereign at once. Enemies march upon your lands from two sides. War of the world has begun."

"F-From where? What kind of heathen would start a war on the most important holiday on the Salterri calendar?! That's... that's... unthinkable! Surely, there must be some sort of mistake. You just do not conduct a war during Moonshroud."

Fidel seems absolutely dumbfounded at the audacity of such an action. However, a younger attendant, obviously following for the purpose of aiding Fidel should the elderly man's strength fail, immediately bolts from the scene, taking the message to his superiors in the Priory.

SamBurke
2014-08-09, 01:40 AM
"F-From where? What kind of heathen would start a war on the most important holiday on the Salterri calendar?! That's... that's... unthinkable! Surely, there must be some sort of mistake. You just do not conduct a war during Moonshroud."

Fidel seems absolutely dumbfounded at the audacity of such an action. However, a younger attendant, obviously following for the purpose of aiding Fidel should the elderly man's strength fail, immediately bolts from the scene, taking the message to his superiors in the Priory.

Inigo bows, seeing the higherarchy of wisdom quite clearly. "Perhaps I am mistaken. I only say that Guilder has its ear to the ground, and we hear shaking. Should your house come shaking down, we will be there with wood to brace it. Do you understand?" He directs this last part more to the attendant than Fidel himself.

Aedilred
2014-08-09, 05:01 AM
Inigo watches the events unfolding with some intense interest. "It seems odd that Xiu has not arrived yet, don't you think? It's already well into the festival... Perhaps there's something to the rumors?"
"I think my brother Li Tailong is here somewhere," Atheldynn said. "Anaphorica is quite large, so it's not surprising we haven't run into him yet. I believe he had important business to conduct with Rongyao, however. He was coming here with some diplomatic proposals from what I understand, after all."

The invasion isn't until after Moonshroud finishes, when Tailong doesn't return. I believe he's considered to be here, just that Morph's OOC calendar was not conducive to doing any RP.

Rizban
2014-08-09, 10:06 AM
My understanding based on the PMs Morph sent me is that he never arrived here at all.

lt_murgen
2014-08-09, 03:18 PM
Inigo bows, seeing the higherarchy of wisdom quite clearly. "Perhaps I am mistaken. I only say that Guilder has its ear to the ground, and we hear shaking. Should your house come shaking down, we will be there with wood to brace it. Do you understand?" He directs this last part more to the attendant than Fidel himself.

John nods, motioning Inigo to join Atheldynn and himeelf, "We have heard similar rumors, of both war and peace. Of course, we hope for peace, always. Prince Atheldynn, perhaps we should go and find the Xiu. He should be here."

SamBurke
2014-08-09, 08:04 PM
John nods, motioning Inigo to join Atheldynn and himeelf, "We have heard similar rumors, of both war and peace. Of course, we hope for peace, always. Prince Atheldynn, perhaps we should go and find the Xiu. He should be here."

"There's even talk that the International Canal would be blockaded," Inigo reveals. "That's how serious things may get..."

Since this has come so late in the week, I'm telling y'all this info here: it's all true. I am being blockaded at the moment, according to QuintonBeck... in ways and for reasons unknown to me.

Aedilred
2014-08-10, 04:36 AM
My understanding based on the PMs Morph sent me is that he never arrived here at all.
Yes, you're right; I've re-read the PMs

"Perhaps we should," he said with a nod, "although for what it is worth in these parts, his name is Li."

Rizban
2014-08-10, 04:34 PM
"Perhaps we should," he said with a nod, "although for what it is worth in these parts, his name is Li."
Fidel scratches his chin.

"But isn't Tailong the son and heir of Xiu Hanyeo? When did he cease to be a Xiu?"

Aedilred
2014-08-10, 07:47 PM
Fidel scratches his chin.

"But isn't Tailong the son and heir of Xiu Hanyeo? When did he cease to be a Xiu?"

Atheldynn shrugged. "When did you become 'Fidel'? He was born a Li and adopted the Xiu name for the sake of his father for a few years, but he was not raised a Xiu and does not consider himself one. Parentage is less relevant in these things than it might be. If I had been born in my mother's country, I'd be a Grant. As it is, I'm a Jarrow. It's only polite to call and refer to someone by the name they use."