PDA

View Full Version : Using a dead Beholder

coming2atvnearu
2014-08-01, 06:46 PM
Hi everybody,

First post and would love some help.

My party has become pretty fixated on re animating the corpse of a beholder to use it as a tool to burn out the walls of a dungeon we're in.

Here's some quick facts
-We have access to level 9 cleric spells, but the cleric is good aligned, so can only turn dead
-The spirit of the beholder does not want to return to the body

Any thoughts or ideas would be great!

Thanks

Hazrond
2014-08-01, 06:51 PM
Hi everybody,

First post and would love some help.

My party has become pretty fixated on re animating the corpse of a beholder to use it as a tool to burn out the walls of a dungeon we're in.

Here's some quick facts
-We have access to level 9 cleric spells, but the cleric is good aligned, so can only turn dead
-The spirit of the beholder does not want to return to the body

Any thoughts or ideas would be great!

Thanks
There's a article somewhere that let's you turn a beholder body into a cool vehicle, some of the eye rays even work :smallbiggrin:

Baroknik
2014-08-01, 07:05 PM
Talk to your DM about researching an improved version of Animate Dead that allows you to animate a beholder into a Death Tyrant, which is in the FRCS and basically is a zombie beholder that retains most of its eye beams (it loses 1d4+1 stalks).
Or Wish/Miracle it to be transformed as a Death Tyrant under your command.

Bronk
2014-08-01, 07:41 PM
Well, if your cleric has access to 9th level spells, they can just cast shapechange on themselves, become a beholder, and use the eyebeams themselves.

Or, raise dead, have someone hit it with Geas/Quest, give it a long but specific task, then recapture it when it's done and repeat.

Shieldbunny
2014-08-01, 07:45 PM
Talk to your DM about researching an improved version of Animate Dead that allows you to animate a beholder into a Death Tyrant, which is in the FRCS and basically is a zombie beholder that retains most of its eye beams (it loses 1d4+1 stalks).
Or Wish/Miracle it to be transformed as a Death Tyrant under your command.

I like this. Though I'd suggest asking him to allow Create Greater Undead to do this first.

EDIT: Just noticed Cleric is Good aligned. Stupid Gods of Goodness, ruining everybody's fun. :smallfrown:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-01, 08:23 PM
Use Miracle to turn it into a Sacred Watcher from BoED. It's basically an exalted version of a ghost, whose purpose is to look after someone instead of haunt a specific place. The template can be added to an aberration, and it retains all of the base creature's special attacks.

Hazrond
2014-08-01, 09:25 PM
Go with the beholder vehicle, you keep the eye rays and its awesome too

Dalebert
2014-08-01, 11:57 PM
Pathfinder doesn't appear to have beholders unless I'm mistaken and just missed. This is upsetting to me. At the risk of briefly going slightly off-topic, does anyone know of creatures in PF that fly via magic instead of wings?

Jack_Simth
2014-08-02, 12:31 AM
Pathfinder doesn't appear to have beholders unless I'm mistaken and just missed.They don't, other than individual homebrew. The Beholder is not OGC.

Red Fel
2014-08-02, 08:02 AM
There is a feat in Dragon Compendium called Heads Up. It allows you to use a monster's severed head to perform gaze attacks for 24 hours after its death.

A Beholder is basically just a severed head, and its eye beams, while rays, are sort of like gaze attacks. Since this is an awfully narrow feat, your DM might let you get away with using a Beholder's eye beams with it.

Bronk
2014-08-02, 08:42 AM
There is a feat in Dragon Compendium called Heads Up. It allows you to use a monster's severed head to perform gaze attacks for 24 hours after its death.

A Beholder is basically just a severed head, and its eye beams, while rays, are sort of like gaze attacks. Since this is an awfully narrow feat, your DM might let you get away with using a Beholder's eye beams with it.

Maybe a quick 'shrink item' first for full Perseus effect...

Also, Hazrond, do you happen to remember where that article about the beholder vehicle was? That sounds awesome too.

A Tad Insane
2014-08-02, 04:32 PM
Shrink it and wear it as a hat. No one messes with a person who wears a beholder as a hat.

Hazrond
2014-08-02, 08:54 PM
Also, Hazrond, do you happen to remember where that article about the beholder vehicle was? That sounds awesome too.

If i remember correctly it was in a dragon magazine along with stats for most of the other vehicles mentioned in the game, like the nautiloid the mindspider and so on but i honestly am having trouble remembering which issue that was :smallfrown:

2014-08-02, 08:57 PM
Is it bad that every time I see this thread, I start coming up with uses for a beholder corpse? Back to the subject at hand, I would just ask for an FRCS death tyrant from your DM, just like everyone else said. That being said, want any other uses for beholder corpses? I got plenty.

Tvtyrant
2014-08-02, 09:23 PM
Corpse Creature template from Book of Vile Darkness allows the creature to keep its special attacks and abilities. You can use create undead to make one, or Miracle it into existence. Then just use Dominate Monster and have it blast through the walls.

Also looking for Corpse Creature took me a while...

Inevitability
2014-08-03, 12:06 AM
Corpse Creature template from Book of Vile Darkness allows the creature to keep its special attacks and abilities. You can use create undead to make one, or Miracle it into existence. Then just use Dominate Monster and have it blast through the walls.

Also looking for Corpse Creature took me a while...

Undead are immune to mind affecting...

Control Undead would work though. You can pick it up with Extra Spell.

EDIT: Or just rebuke it.

Tvtyrant
2014-08-03, 12:30 AM
Undead are immune to mind affecting...

Control Undead would work though. You can pick it up with Extra Spell.

EDIT: Or just rebuke it.

No rebuking unfortunately, but you could use Control Undead. Or even just Miracle a Control Undead spell, since it is a spell replication it should be free.

Bronk
2014-08-04, 08:29 AM
If i remember correctly it was in a dragon magazine along with stats for most of the other vehicles mentioned in the game, like the nautiloid the mindspider and so on but i honestly am having trouble remembering which issue that was :smallfrown:

Found it... it's from Dragon 331! Unfortunately, only the less powerful eye stalks still retain their powers.

The nautiloid and the mindspider were updated in Dungeon 92 / Polyhedron 151 (but have a brief mention in 'lords of madness').

Hazrond
2014-08-04, 08:33 AM
Found it... it's from Dragon 331! Unfortunately, only the less powerful eye stalks still retain their powers.

The nautiloid and the mindspider were updated in Dungeon 92 / Polyhedron 151 (but have a brief mention in 'lords of madness').

You may lose the strongest eye rays but its still the coolest thing you can make with a dead beholder (in my opinion)

2014-08-04, 08:51 AM
You may lose the strongest eye rays but its still the coolest thing you can make with a dead beholder (in my opinion)

Wrong. Hide inside of the corpse, cast a levitation spell on it, and put out the central eye. You are now a beholder mage!

Bonzai
2014-08-04, 09:21 AM
Shrink it and wear it as a hat. No one messes with a person who wears a beholder as a hat.

We had a player do that once, minus the shrinking. Some where in the Forgotten Realms there is a Dwarf Forsaker running around the underdark inside of a beholder corpse, yelling and moaning to scare the crap out of people.

Dalebert
2014-08-04, 04:01 PM
Wrong. Hide inside of the corpse, cast a levitation spell on it, and put out the central eye. You are now a beholder mage!

You just me another idea. You could put the central eye out, turn it sideways and use it as a flower pot. Plant some lovely flowers and declare that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Hazrond
2014-08-04, 05:11 PM
You just me another idea. You could put the central eye out, turn it sideways and use it as a flower pot. Plant some lovely flowers and declare that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

*Badum Tiss* (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkD-kxZEQ6E)